Geno or Derek Carr

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes, I know the timing is not great with an impending playoff game, but word that Derek Carr is absolutely on the block makes it interesting. Forgetting about compensation and draft picks, who would you rather have, Geno or Derek Carr for the Hawks future?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think most fans underestimate the value of time in a system to gain the experience and knowledge to run an offense.

Look no further than the success Geno's had being here for three years.

So if all things are equal, and at this point in both Geno and Carr's career? They seem to be pretty equal? I'll stick with Geno.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Mark my words carr was wasted in Oakland. He’s a real one . Him and geno both are good guys in general I think and great teammates. Raiders are a gong show tho, like with all the criminal arrests, 1st round picks are cursed there. Terrible ownership and management. My question is how in the H did carr stick in there this long???

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mark my words carr was wasted in Oakland. He’s a real one . Him and geno both are good guys in general I think and great teammates. Raiders are a gong show tho, like with all the criminal arrests, 1st round picks are cursed there. Terrible ownership and management. My question is how in the H did carr stick in there this long???

Wasted?

All they did was surround him with 1st round picks and free agent receivers.

Amari Cooper
Colton Miller
Josh Jacobs
Henry Ruggs
Alex Leatherwood
Dylan Parnham
Darren Waller
Traded for Devonte Adams

Carr's OK, he's still a good QB, but the notion that the Raiders didn't try to surround him with protection and talent is not true at all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I still think people are overrating Geno based on a super hot first half. He could easily have way more picks than touchdowns the past 8 games or so which isn't top 5. But like he said he could be better next year with another off season as the starter. He has been light years better than I expected and if John decides to roll with Geno and build up everything else I'll still feel great about the future of the team but I still think he's much closer to league average than top 5 and the more he plays the more this will play itself out.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Geno. He's got less mileage on the ol' tires. And he has been here for several years in Pete Carroll's system, he is thriving as a starter now, and he is well-ensconced with the team to steer the ship as our Field General for a least a couple years. No need to switch horses in the middle of the river for someone different from the outside like Carr at this point. This seems like a "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" type of question.

Last edited:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think they are comparable, but I also think any perceived upside for Carr's ability is nullified by Geno's familiarity with the offense at the team so I don't see why you wouldn't just stick with the guy you know. Neither are the long term answer.

That being said I'd like to see how Geno performs Saturday. If he absolutely sh*ts the bed then we have some questions to answer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I still think people are overrating Geno based on a super hot first half. He could easily have way more picks than touchdowns the past 8 games or so which isn't top 5. But like he said he could be better next year with another off season as the starter. He has been light years better than I expected and if John decides to roll with Geno and build up everything else I'll still feel great about the future of the team but I still think he's much closer to league average than top 5 and the more he plays the more this will play itself out.

How bout the fact that Geno threw for more TD's this year than Carr has in any year of his almost 10 year career, and is equal to or better in most of the other meaningful stats like yards, QBR and CMP%.

Ozzy

Reaction score
But Carr has been very good for a long time. Geno was really, really good for half a year and average the second half. Nick foles had a 27-2 in less than a full year and came crashing back to earth. That’s my worry

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But Carr has been very good for a long time. Geno was really, really good for half a year and average the second half. Nick foles had a 27-2 in less than a full year and came crashing back to earth. That’s my worry

He's been "good" for a long time, and "very good" for about 30-40% of his seasons.

Only four years did he throw for over 4,000 yards and only three seasons did he throw for more than 25 TD's.

I get what you're saying, track record matters. But what I'm trying to say is Carr's track record isn't as good as you think it is.

Btw, Carr's got three years left on his deal. So this isn't some even swap, you're going to have to give up trade capital AND pay him.

Own The West

Reaction score
Geno, but I would certainly love for LV to move Carr so they would be inclined to trade with the Cardinals at #3 to leapfrog Indy at #4. Then Carter might fall to us at #5.

orca

Reaction score
Geno was really, really good for half a year and average the second half.
Well, Carr has been average his whole career. At least Geno knows the system and has the locker room behind him. Now get one of them nice young QBs in the upcoming draft, let him sit & learn for one or two years, and reap the rewards afterwards.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
It's kind of like when you're out on the highway in fairly heavy traffic, and there's always that one guy who keeps impatiently switching lanes back and forth, never satisfied with the lane he's in, actually believing that all of this lane switching is actually going to help him get where he's going any faster!

Latest posts