Geno or Derek Carr

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well, Carr has been average his whole career. At least Geno knows the system and has the locker room behind him. Now get one of them nice young QBs in the upcoming draft, let him sit & learn for one or two years, and reap the rewards afterwards.
This is the best plan of action to me. Geno starts another year or so if its cheap and let the rookie have a year to develop. I would love this approach.

I'm not saying Geno is bad, I've said multiple times Seattle is in a great spot because I think Geno is better than average even with some regression and you're not forced to take a QB like some teams do because their current situation is so bad.

BASF

Reaction score
Putting talent around him on offense is all well and good, but it takes a balanced team to win. Their defense has been bottom six in points allowed for all but one of the past five seasons. They have not been above twentieth in points allowed during his time there. They have been in the top half of the league in yards allowed once during his time there. Complimentary football matters more than anything in making the playoffs and their team has never really been close to that.

All that being said, I prefer Geno as a leader and quarterback of my team.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's been "good" for a long time, and "very good" for about 30-40% of his seasons.

Only four years did he throw for over 4,000 yards and only three seasons did he throw for more than 25 TD's.

I get what you're saying, track record matters. But what I'm trying to say is Carr's track record isn't as good as you think it is.

Btw, Carr's got three years left on his deal. So this isn't some even swap, you're going to have to give up trade capital AND pay him.
Yeah I agree I want nothing to do with Carr for the reasons you listed

Aircrew

Reaction score
Geno. And I like Derek Carr. But stick with Geno for all the reasons listed previously. Besides, I think the Jets are going to go get Derek.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Carr is under contract with LV until '26. Geno is a FA after this season is finished. Probably looking at a fairly similar dollar amount to sign either one. Carr on the other hand would cost draft capitol and probably lots. This is easy. Geno.

knownone

Reaction score
What does Carr bring to the table that Geno doesn't?

It's an understandable question if retaining Geno is difficult. However, as it stands, there are not many veteran QBs I'd rather have than Geno.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Carr is much better than Geno, but Carr is way too expensive. And if Geno starts looking for a 30-40mill contract then he can leave the team as well.

Carr doesn't make stupid mistakes like Geno does

m0ng0

Reaction score
He's been "good" for a long time, and "very good" for about 30-40% of his seasons.

Only four years did he throw for over 4,000 yards and only three seasons did he throw for more than 25 TD's.

I get what you're saying, track record matters. But what I'm trying to say is Carr's track record isn't as good as you think it is.

Btw, Carr's got three years left on his deal. So this isn't some even swap, you're going to have to give up trade capital AND pay him.
We are going to have to pay Geno so that kinda makes the pay point kinda moot

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
What he said. Can't believe some people still want to discredit Geno. Top 5 QB 2022. Low miles on the body, best completion percentage in the NFL.
What has people spooked is his looming pay day, his regression and opportunity cost. It's not necessarily just Geno himself. Geno at his current pay rate makes a lot of sense, Geno at 35-40 million per year is a lot harder to swallow. Though, straight up trading for or signing a Carr like figure doesn't make any sense. You're effectively in the same position that you would have been with Geno, only now you have a QB with no familiarity with the offense or receivers. The dude is even around the same age. If Pete traded for Carr, or signed him to a huge contract i'd be pretty angry.

Now, there is some reason to ponder Geno Smith's effectiveness going forward. I don't think he's ever going back to the same dude he was on the Jets. Early in the season he was a master at manipulating defenses at the LOS and he can make some serious WOW throws that 95% of NFL QB's would probably be unable to make. When he's on his accuracy is nutty and he has the ability to fit the ball into some crazy small windows. He has the talent and now he has the maturity.

The issue with Geno Smith is I don't think he has that killer instinct. He's pretty easily rattled and baited into making bad decisions. I've been seeing shades of Jets Geno pop up in our last 8 games. His statline and play has been progressively getting worse. That is something to worry about. In particular, his statline from the last 5 games or so is pretty pedestrian. It was something like a 62 percent completion rate, a Y/A of 6.2 and something like 8 TDs and 5 INTs. You can refer to my post in the Geno Smith regression post somebody made, i have all those stats laid out in detail.

5 games is a pretty long streak to go through that level of play. If we extrapolate that out to 8 games which is where most people put the decline at, his stats look better -- but he also made some critical errors in some of those games.

So the big question remains, what exactly are we getting with Geno Smith? Are we getting a Rich Gannon figure? Are we getting something different? There have been QB's that have gone on really impressive one season, or partial season runs. Think guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Nick Foles, Case Keenum and Tommy Maddox.

I like Geno's story and think he has some strong attributes to build on. I don't think he ever is going to be as bad as he was on the Jets. I could see him being a Fitzpatrick sort of guy that floats around the NFL though, and that is what scares me about Geno. Fitzpatrick was the sort of QB that could look like one of the best QB's in the NFL for 7 weeks at a time then regress into lower tier starter levels of play. Paying a Fitzpatrick character 30+ million a year is a scary proposition.

With Geno I'm not sure exactly where he stands in the spectrum of Rich Gannon and Fitzpatricks. There is definitely precedent for both one hit wonders and MVP level of play coming from career backups that get an opportunity. Geno's backsliding definitely is cause for concern.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
I did not read through the thread. I think it’s too early to make this decision. We are still alive in the playoffs! If Geno leads us to 1 or more playoff wins then he earns more consideration for a big contract. Let’s wait, Carr isn’t getting signed or traded for any time soon

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Like Mike D before me, I also didn't read all the posts in this thread. That being said, I like keeping Geno for the right price, doesn't have to be particularly cheap like he is this year. If he gets an outlandish offer elsewhere (likely, I'm afraid) then let him get paid - he's paid his dues for it. In that case, I don't like Carr because I think he's hearing footsteps when he drops back just his brother did. Plus he's really expensive. In this scenario I favor drafting a QB in a reasonable spot (not #5 overall), re-sign Lock for a 1-year cheap prove-it price, and let the new QB sit. Lock has also had time in this system, and mainly needs to rein in his gunslinger ways.

GemCity

Reaction score
Like Mike D before me, I also didn't read all the posts in this thread. That being said, I like keeping Geno for the right price, doesn't have to be particularly cheap like he is this year. If he gets an outlandish offer elsewhere (likely, I'm afraid) then let him get paid - he's paid his dues for it. In that case, I don't like Carr because I think he's hearing footsteps when he drops back just his brother did. Plus he's really expensive. In this scenario I favor drafting a QB in a reasonable spot (not #5 overall), re-sign Lock for a 1-year cheap prove-it price, and let the new QB sit. Lock has also had time in this system, and mainly needs to rein in his gunslinger ways.
This

BASF

Reaction score
Carr is much better than Geno, but Carr is way too expensive. And if Geno starts looking for a 30-40mill contract then he can leave the team as well.

Carr doesn't make stupid mistakes like Geno does.
OK, do you have anything to back that up?

Bad throw percentage for Carr was 20.0% which was fourth highest in the league. Geno's was 11.6% which was the best in the league.

Geno had seventy more attempts than Carr and three less interceptions.

rcaido

Reaction score
For the hawks I would go w Geno 100%. If starting on a new team i would put the edge too Carr.

flv2

Reaction score
Smith and Carr probably have similar salary valuations. I know some sites are talking about Carr being traded, but that doesn't make sense to me. I expect Carr to be cut after the Super Bowl and before Smith makes any firm decision. The players are going to be in charge of their own futures rather than their current teams having that luxury. Carr will set the market.