Difference between Russell Wilson & Payton Manning

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if RW golfs. One of the keys to great golf is the ability to forget the bad shot and progress to the next shot. Even if you do a great shot, you need to put it behind you and play for the next shot. If you can do that and forget the good and bad before the shot in mind, you can do great things. I have experience in golf in both experiences. The first week I shot tons great....two weeks ago...I could not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside at 10 YARDS. I remembered I did that shot and did great at it...not the fact that I need to just aim, set up, and hit the ball. RW probably sets up, gets the ball, and plays the play after he makes a defensive read.
The other thing I see is the fact that after he sits down when the other team has the ball, He looks at pictures and play plans for the next situation. I think he notices minor twists to the basic game presets and adjusts for them. Golfer...checking out the weather and his notebook on how the green slopes. :mrgreen:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
bowzerbird":3fyykkk2 said:
Got the wonderful 4 DVD disks of the Post Game from Fanatics.com [Super Bowl, 49'ers, Saints and extras]. SOOOO much fun to watch it ALL over again but here's an interesting comparison between RUSSELL WILSON & Payton Manning.

Manning, in the Super Bowl lost it and never gained it back, confidence that is. From the "whoops" in the first few seconds of the game, something happened "inside" that he wasn't able to retract, change, forget, or disassociate from.

Watching the 49'er game again, RIGHT in the first few seconds of THAT game, Russell blew it, fumbled the ball & the 49'ers took it on the 20 yr. line. Again, FIRST FEW SECONDS OF THE GAME. Got a FG but no TD.

Having watched how our guys play and having been at 0 – 20 TWICE!! at the end of the first half, we OVERCAME the odds and won both those games.
Here's the diff: The Seahawks have created a new PARADIGM of HOW Football is played and will be played in the future. Russell KNEW he blew it, BUT he [always] looks to the future and "disassociates" the past or previous play. Doesn't let ANY mistakes "guide" how he plays. Compartmentalizes.
Payton let every mistake "EAT" at him and like a domino effect, it affected the rest of the players. They actually let him control their way of thinking. No individual thought processing. It's a subtle kind of "brainwashing." This is HOW I think and you all have to follow and think JUST like me. SUCH BULL-SHIT.
Today's Football games will be played with more BRAIN activity then just brawn. All the Seahawks have the same mind-set. Look to the NEXT play and do NOT let the past guide the rest of the game.
And I can guarantee that mind-set will be embedded in all the new players. Russell and Sherms will see to that.

So . . . . . GO HAWKS

I'm with you completely on this. I've always known Manning was a clutch-out when it really matters. Wilson is the opposite--all the Seahawks are.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Can't say I disagree with OP's train of thought.

In watching all of the SoundFX material that's been available since the Super Bowl, the thing that really struck me is how much that safety seemed to bother Manning. He told everyone within earshot about how they should've played it differently. Conversely, there was almost no footage of Wilson reacting negatively to his opening fumble versus San Francisco. There was a short clip of him coaching up Kellen Davis and telling him to "turn to the ball" if he's open, but nothing that suggested he was agonizing over that mistake. He simply let it go and kept playing. Even if he had internal negative thoughts, he didn't let those thoughts spread to the rest of the team. Big difference.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think the best reaction peyton had was that failed 4th Down attempt.

"Ayadadada.... Where did he come from?"

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Manning definitely was befuddled by our D. I thought Denver truly thought no D in the league could stop what they do. When one did, they had no fall back plan. Every plan they had was wrong. Run on our nickel D? Wrong. Rely on short screens? Wrong. Hurry up pace? Wrong. The only thing they got right was to turn Knighton loose if Lynch was in the backfield.

Essentially, Manning played a red zone QB all season long. His arm isn't what it once was, and it was clear from the beginning Seattle was not worried about him completing 30 yard passes. Which would have seemed like no big deal to Manning, he has torched some decent defenses playing that short game. But he was going against the best red zone pass D in the world.

I honestly don't think Denver could have won if they had played to their limits, because Seattle simply has higher limits. But physicality made them not even try to approach their limits.

I am very curious to see how Denver stacks up this year. They have a few more physical players, Von will be healthy. But Manning's arm is not going to be stronger. His players might be a little extra amped to redeem themselves after getting embarrassed, but sustained physicality is a pretty big wardrobe change for that offense. It's what all three phases of the Seahawk team wear to work every day.

kpak76

Reaction score
Threedee":1em4tsgk said:
Part of the problem, I think, is that Wilson's offense is more scheme-based, while Peyton's is technique-based. All of that effort in planning into each individual play, even down to the exuberant audibles, and when technique fails, it's more immediately felt. Within a scheme, individual plays may break down, but a disciplined team can stay on target. I wonder if Peyton learned anything from that outing. I expect his AFC rivals did.

Hate to call you out on this, but this post makes absolutely no sense.

Scheme based and technique based are terms you made up, and you didn't do a good job at all explaining what those are. You cant expect us to know what you are talking about when you create your own terms. What do you exactly mean? All offenses are based on scheme and technique is important to all of them.

kpak76

Reaction score
bowzerbird":39qlfce5 said:
Thanks for all the insightful comments.
But BOTTOM LINE: Manning WAS great, ain't no mo!

Russell does know how to compartmentalize, disassociate and SHINE IT ON. We all have watched QB's and yup, they can't [quite often] control their emotions. They get frustrated, exasperated, disillusioned and plain, give up. So, their throwing is compromised, running, planning and well their game plays.
Russell knows Yoga, and it may help him. hey whatever it is, the boy knows how to strategise and WIN.

Oh, just a BTW: Something tells me they "GAVE" the 8 pts. to the wild horses so they didn't go back to the pasture empty handed. Just a thought. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And who cares, Payton, Peyton: It's still Payton Place to me, that's all he can do now. He should retire. He still has "decent" health, enjoy life, your family etc..

So you think Manning is on a dowhil spiral because he had one bad game? You do realize he set records during the regular season right? Once again, by downplaying Mannings ability you are also dowplaying the Hawks in a indirect manner. To not consider him one of the all time greats (and still is imo) makes our defense from all time great to just mearly good. Do you want to the rest of the country to think this also?

You're blowing smoke when you're making Manning less than what he is. Manning is still on the short list when it comes to best QB's playing now.

Also, by refusing the aknowledge his real name, that reflects on you poorly.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1cmsvkif said:
That game was our defense period. The Bronco's led the league in YAC and we took that away. Manning still set a record for completions but that offense was dead without the YAC.

Kearly did a nice right up about this and explained why we were their worst possible match up and teams like the Niners wjo are stout but don't have the secondary or the speed to do the same.

Our defense did a hell of a job but our offense did EXACTLY what they needed to do and did it to perfection. Wilson posted the ninth-highest passer rating in Super Bowl history. Pretty good for a "game manager" :thirishdrinkers:

The first 3 possessions our offense chewed up almost 15 minutes off the clock and that was with 12 minutes still to go in the second quarter after we scored the TD to go up 15-0. Wilson was having his way with the Bronco D. In just those 3 possessions he was 9/14 94 yards passing, 10 yards rushing, with 3 3rd down conversions and should of had a 4th on a rushing attempt but I think it was a terrible spot which lead to a FG. I think alot of that had to do with Oline play...Wilson was pressured just 14.8% of the time (43.8% in the regular season.) They did a MUCH better job than the regular season.

Our offense really only had 3 possessions for the ENTIRE first half. The 4th possession was with a minute left before halftime and we ran it twice. Hell our offense didnt even really get to do anything starting from 12 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter until we got the ball back with about 10:30 left in the 3rd quarter.

Fun offensive Stats
Baldwin and Kearse both had 13+ yards per target. Wilson had a perfect 158.3 passer rating when throwing to those two players. Excited to have Harvin plus both of them still.

Wilson only has one fewer playoff win than Aaron Rodgers, Dan Marino, Steve McNair, AND Matt Hasselbeck....IN HIS SECOND YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The difference between the two? Over a decade of playing at a high level. When Wilson's been doing it for another decade then I think you could at least compare them. Although it will probably still be subjective and borderline silly.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell is very different than all QBs I have seen. He was getting his ass handed to him and beaten down every possible way in the NFC Championship game and just KEPT AT IT. He didn't start getting happy feet or getting rid of the ball too soon like most other QBs do. Towards the end of the game, he seemed to get more focused and started to throw the ball into tighter coverage instead of looking for something better like he had been all game long. It's like the kid thrives in big situations. The kid just doesn't rattle. It's awesome to see in a SEAHAWK QB for a change.

If Hasselbeck could have forgotten bad plays like Russell does, he'd be on his way to the HOF.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":5cny02jg said:

In watching all of the SoundFX material that's been available since the Super Bowl, the thing that really struck me is how much that safety seemed to bother Manning. He told everyone within earshot about how they should've played it differently. Conversely, there was almost no footage of Wilson reacting negatively to his opening fumble versus San Francisco. There was a short clip of him coaching up Kellen Davis and telling him to "turn to the ball" if he's open, but nothing that suggested he was agonizing over that mistake. He simply let it go and kept playing. Even if he had internal negative thoughts, he didn't let those thoughts spread to the rest of the team. Big difference.

Good post.

The Radish

Reaction score
My thoughts of Manning changed when he looked up Sherman who was on crutches and asked how he was before he went to the locker. Really classy thing to do in my eyes.

I think he tries one more time this year to win the cup and win or lose he retires.

I've never particularly liked the guy but his demeanor at after game interviews when he has lost shows that he does have some class in there. He admitted the Seahawks totally blew them out and did things they didn't consider.

I also think that first snap upset him mightily and he never got over that and the noise.

:les:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
kearly":1p069a71 said:
DavidSeven":1p069a71 said:

Good post.

Agree.

I see RW on a mental level that very few QBs ever approach. Brock Huard was just saying today how much trouble he always had (and still does) getting over bad games or negative situations. I know that was my downfall in HS basketball, not being able to develop that immediate amnesia and get on with the next play unencumbered by the previous one. RW has used that word – amnesia – going so far as saying he didn't even remember the SF-game fumble until a reporter asked him about it in the post-game presser. That is an elite skill that requires Zen Master-like mind control; it's a trait that comes in handy on the road to championships. :th2thumbs:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3rfgb8i8 said:
RW has used that word – amnesia – going so far as saying he didn't even remember the SF-game fumble until a reporter asked him about it in the post-game presser. That is an elite skill that requires Zen Master-like mind control; it's a trait that comes in handy on the road to championships. :th2thumbs:
I call it staying in the moment.

There is not future... there is no past... there is only the moment... and excellence requires your total concentration of execution in the moment.

I play pool and it's exactly the same approach needed in that "sport".

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO - RW's best asset is his confidence. His first year in the league showed his teammates that confidence and a consistently positive attitude WINS games. His second season only added to the entire teams confidence and we all know what happened at the end of that season. The future is extremely bright with RW's leadership.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3gpdjm4d said:
Manning definitely was befuddled by our D.

I don't think he was befuddled. He knew exactly what was coming, he just couldn't stop it, nor find something else that worked. Because the truth was nothing was going to work.

That's the beauty of our D, nothing fancy. Our 11 guys are bigger, faster and stronger than your 11 guys. Period.

hawk45

Reaction score
Taking nothing away from Russell's considerable poise, our defense has made some very fine QBs look mortal. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I will say that Brady, Brees, and Rodgers didn't fold quite as spectacularly in the biggest game of their careers like Manning did. That record-setting offense had weapons galore to state the obvious.

So while I acknowledge Manning as the best ever regular season QB, his performance in the playoffs, and the SB, leave something to be desired. Russell's, so far, does not. In his short career I have yet to see him shrink in crunch time, in fact he seems to get better the higher the stakes.

And a decade of playing at an elite level is something Manning has, but they both have the same number of rings. Russell played on a team with a sick defense, but Manning played on many teams with pretty dang good offenses. It's not like he was Brady out there turning average at best talent into weapons, and Brady continued to do it in the playoffs.

Not saying Wilson is "better" than Manning at this point, but I think the OP's train of thought is a legit one.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":1o4kjfl0 said:
Taking nothing away from Russell's considerable poise, our defense has made some very fine QBs look mortal. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I will say that Brady, Brees, and Rodgers didn't fold quite as spectacularly in the biggest game of their careers like Manning did. That record-setting offense had weapons galore to state the obvious.

So while I acknowledge Manning as the best ever regular season QB, his performance in the playoffs, and the SB, leave something to be desired. Russell's, so far, does not. In his short career I have yet to see him shrink in crunch time, in fact he seems to get better the higher the stakes.

And a decade of playing at an elite level is something Manning has, but they both have the same number of rings. Russell played on a team with a sick defense, but Manning played on many teams with pretty dang good offenses. It's not like he was Brady out there turning average at best talent into weapons, and Brady continued to do it in the playoffs.

Not saying Wilson is "better" than Manning at this point, but I think the OP's train of thought is a legit one.
Good post brother. I agree with you on all points. Pey Pey is not good in the clutch and his playoff W-L record speaks to that (11-12).

OP
OP
bowzerbird

bowzerbird

Reaction score
kpak76":1xf0axdh said:
bowzerbird":1xf0axdh said:
Thanks for all the insightful comments.
But BOTTOM LINE: Manning WAS great, ain't no mo!

Russell does know how to compartmentalize, disassociate and SHINE IT ON. We all have watched QB's and yup, they can't [quite often] control their emotions. They get frustrated, exasperated, disillusioned and plain, give up. So, their throwing is compromised, running, planning and well their game plays.
Russell knows Yoga, and it may help him. hey whatever it is, the boy knows how to strategise and WIN.

Oh, just a BTW: Something tells me they "GAVE" the 8 pts. to the wild horses so they didn't go back to the pasture empty handed. Just a thought. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And who cares, Payton, Peyton: It's still Payton Place to me, that's all he can do now. He should retire. He still has "decent" health, enjoy life, your family etc..

[This is from "kpak76"] So you think Manning is on a dowhil spiral because he had one bad game? You do realize he set records during the regular season right? Once again, by downplaying Mannings ability you are also dowplaying the Hawks in a indirect manner. To not consider him one of the all time greats (and still is imo) makes our defense from all time great to just mearly good. Do you want to the rest of the country to think this also? [This is from "kpak76"]

Your attempt at logic is well, ILLOGICAL. Manning WAS good, not any more. And our defense IZ ALL TIME GREAT. The Seahawks have proven that football WILL be played differently – more brain then brawn. What kind of statement is "Do you want to the rest of the country to think this also? " Ya don't think humans have individual thought? Can't think for themselves. Are we going off the cliff with the rest of the Lemmings? Maybe you, cuzz you sound like a follower not a leader. I don't follow the crowd and neither do the Hawks esp. Marsh, RW, Shermz.
And in time, I'll bet a very short time, Russell will prove just how great a QB he is. Oh, I feel SOOOO guilty pronouncing his name wrong [Payton Manning]. Someone down the line called him Pey Pey. He's Payton Place Manning to me, all he did in the SB was place. Forgot how to win, but maybe has lost the will to fight AND win. That's why the ol' boy should retire gracefully.
Many folks agree that he is not what he was. That's the game of FB. Makes you old before you time. I knew Jim Otto [as a friend: live to far to keep up the friendship] and watched him age miserably. So many surgeries, and some helped, but now he's not doing so well.
FT has become treacherous, almost scary. And we all know that players have been "bought" to injure & harm opposing team players for da dough.
Anyway, I won't feel guilty, I won't cry & beg forgiveness, but definitely will laugh YOUR ass off. Oh, there it goes, rolling down the hill.
:sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :3:

Ellen

This is from "kpak76"
You're blowing smoke when you're making Manning less than what he is. Manning is still on the short list when it comes to best QB's playing now.

Also, by refusing the aknowledge his real name, that reflects on you poorly.
[/quote] This is from "kpak76"

Latest posts