Duane Brown not happy

balakoth

Reaction score
Im still a heavy advocate that some people are insane thinking WIlson was knocking his OLine and not knocking the play calling and game plan.

Felt like he was telilng Pete to stop being Holmie and switch it the hell up in the play calls.

Frankly I think Brown needs a 2 year extension but not.. a ton of money.. we have to pay Jamal, we have to pay DK next year, if anyone breaks out in their last or second to last year, we have to pay them to keep them or lose them in Free agency

Im not sure why some of our fans treat this game like its baseball.. we have a limit.. and we can't just friggen extend EVERYONE... without trying to stay consistent in the future.

In reality a football team wants.. consistency to bring in fans and other sales to make the business profitable. Please remember at the end of the day its a business.. that pays employees to play a game... period.

balakoth

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2bgyfagy said:
Tinamedina":2bgyfagy said:
duane brown has problem staying healthy and he is 36 years old.

Trash post. Easily a top-5 left tackle in the league right now.

Pay him.

To be objective.. you want to "Pay" him? Honestly? He needs an extension.. but he surely is never going to get "paid" at this age... Everyone seems to think in the now.. instead of the long term.. it's still a business model plain and simple

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
ivotuk":2849fans said:
It's PFT. Anything they print is going to be Gloom & Doom based on biased perception.

"How can we make something out of nothing?" This is what radio shows and "Pro Florio Talk" do.

As soon as Adams contract is done, I expect to see Duane and Quandre with new contracts.

PFT just copies other sources, so check all those before you draw conclusions.

massari

Reaction score
This might give some insight into what he's thinking right now:

Duane Brown sat out all last offseason, and skipped six games, hoping to get a new contract from the Houston Texans. It never materialized, the situation turned sour, and the team traded him to Seattle in October.

"It was bigger than football for me at that point," Brown said, via the Houston Chronicle. "I was disrespected. I can't walk in that building and only play football. You have to interact with these people at some point. I'm not one of those people that can fake my way through that [stuff]. I can't. It was too far gone, and the departure was needed. It had nothing to do with me wanting to get out of Houston or leave my teammates. Not at all."

Brown wanted to re-do his contract, which was set to expire in 2019. The Texans stood firm, saying that they don't restructure contracts with two years remaining. The standoff led to animosity.

"I wanted to finish my career there, and I wanted security doing that," Brown said. "I made it known right at the end of the season. There was no conversation throughout the whole offseason about it, which is why I didn't show up to anything. There was a conversation around minicamp where they said we can't do deals with two years left, but they've done it before. Basically they were like, 'We've done it before but you're not worth that.' So, I'm like, 'OK, well, I'm not coming to anything then.'"

Brown pointed to the team's ability to cut him for nothing as a reason it made sense to skip offseason workouts.

"At that point I was nine years in and had a pretty damn good nine-year career, so I had to use it at that point," Brown said. "I could have went to training camp that year, got injured and I didn't have any guaranteed money on my contract, so I could have got cut right then and there and that would have been it."

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Pay him a big bonus at the end of the season if he stays healthy and starts throughout the year. I'd be reluctant to extend him because of his age, but if he shows he can still play at a high level, then fine. I think this needs to be a year-to-year decision.

xray

Reaction score
One year extension @ $ 10 mill , but he probably wants 2 years at least .

keasley45

Reaction score
balakoth":uk1zfa5t said:
Im still a heavy advocate that some people are insane thinking WIlson was knocking his OLine and not knocking the play calling and game plan.

Felt like he was telilng Pete to stop being Holmie and switch it the hell up in the play calls.

Frankly I think Brown needs a 2 year extension but not.. a ton of money.. we have to pay Jamal, we have to pay DK next year, if anyone breaks out in their last or second to last year, we have to pay them to keep them or lose them in Free agency

Im not sure why some of our fans treat this game like its baseball.. we have a limit.. and we can't just friggen extend EVERYONE... without trying to stay consistent in the future.

In reality a football team wants.. consistency to bring in fans and other sales to make the business profitable. Please remember at the end of the day its a business.. that pays employees to play a game... period.

It's nuts that when Russel flat out says, and I quote, " we've got to get better up front", then goes on to cite proof of that being the superbowl where Brady was gifted with time to throw, that some will still find a way to attribute his frustrations just to Pete.

The dude spoke specifically of the o-line. And only after did he walk it back some to include getting the ball out faster. His mention of the playcalling was a different response.

It was a misguided thing to do.

Dan Patrick even said as much...

'That's quite a dangerous sentiment to make public about a group that has three quality starters who aren't going anywhere. Even if Wilson's comments are more focused on the poor play from the team's center and left guard positions, the failure to disclose specifics, admit the effects of injury, or positively acknowledge all but one of his linemen is a problem.'

He meant what he said. And it was / is a dangerous thing to have done. And D Browns actions could be the fallout.

And the point has nothing to do about being ignorant to salary cap limits and contract demands / who the team can and can't pay, but rather, the reason why D Brown might be now holding the line that he is in the first place.

And he absolutley should be prioritized. No pro bowl quality LT this year, no Superbowl. Just a shame that it's all coming about the way it is.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
balakoth":2wrxgc09 said:
Maelstrom787":2wrxgc09 said:
Tinamedina":2wrxgc09 said:
duane brown has problem staying healthy and he is 36 years old.

Trash post. Easily a top-5 left tackle in the league right now.

Pay him.

To be objective.. you want to "Pay" him? Honestly? He needs an extension.. but he surely is never going to get "paid" at this age... Everyone seems to think in the now.. instead of the long term.. it's still a business model plain and simple

Yes. He deserves to be paid. Not on a long term contract, but 10 million is simply too low.

Duane has the leverage. You wanna talk about thinking "long term," please, extol the virtues of pissing off Duane Brown. Love to hear it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
xray":3hbbm7hy said:
One year extension @ $ 10 mill , but he probably wants 2 years at least .

That's what he's being paid now, and it's not even in the same ballpark as far as what his play over the past years has been worth.

Own The West

Reaction score
A surprising headline would be, "Duane Brown IS happy he's not received an extension."

Hopefully this is the last of the "no news, let's make some!" journalism of the Summer.

massari

Reaction score
They need to get this done, not only for LT, but to make the HOF QB happy enough to re-sign with the team. They need to gamble on Brown staying healthy after 13 seasons, and 36 years old, plain and simple.

Russel Wilson today:

Wilson was asked when it will become a major issue for him personally that Brown isn’t signed and on the field again.

“We need him game one, that’s for sure,” Wilson said.

"Not having Duane Brown out there is a pretty significant deal because I think he's one of the best left tackles in the game, there's no arguing it," Wilson said

"There's nobody more athletic, more talented than he is. Age is just a number. He looks like he's 28-30 out there. He's really exceptional. So smart and physical, understands the game, and I think people fear him, to be honest with you, when they're rushing him and playing against him.

"So we definitely want to be able to get him back out there. We've got to figure that out because we need Duane Brown."

"We need to figure that out because he's really special, obviously," Wilson said. "Like I said, I think he's one of the best left tackles in the game. I think he's got several more years to play. I think he can definitely do it. I don't think there's anybody more athletic than him. You see what he can do. And he's also our leader. He's a guy who really leads the offensive line, and really, he commands the offensive line and really can set the tone."

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
keasley45":q4vzh8by said:
Well, Pete's tone this week when asked about D Brown wasn't exactly 'happy'. I think D Brown is legitimately annoyed and wouldn't be surprised if part of it is carryover from the Wilson nonsense this offseason. Can't feel good to have put up solid o-line numbers last year AND be one ofnthe best at your position, only to have your QB throw you under the bus and say you're the reason he's not achieving his potential. And then to have that qb be praised for the most part by the media and then be perceived as having twisted the front office to his will.

I'd want my last best chance at a contract too. Can see how this ****MIGHT**** be a situation where he feels disrespected and wants his money now before throwing his health on the line over another season for a signal caller who he ****MIGHT**** feel doesn't appreciate it.

Brown realizes he wasnt the issue that Wilson was complaining about.

Rat

Reaction score
He has leverage and has shown a willingness to hold out in the past. We kind of need him, unless Stone is a very fast learner.

So, why is he not practicing? The usuals are claiming the media is creating stories for clickbait again, so I assume he has some other legitimate reason.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Forsythe is getting plenty of reps as Ogbuehi and Jones are injured. I doubt he's going to be NFL ready this season, but that's just speculation because I don't think it's possible to learn much from the practices or mock games as a fan. I haven't seen him on the ground very much.

Elemas

Reaction score
No one beats Father Time. 1-2 year….ok.

I don’t see how you go past that. Regardless of how good he is. And he’s definitely a beast.

But…

toffee

Reaction score
Few thoughts:

1. I subscribe to Bill Walsh's philosophy on trading aging stars: rather be one year too early than one year too late.
2. Brown was good and had a great season, but he was owned by Aldon Smith when they last met, even after Iupati came over to help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUtA8Z0Zng
3. Brown is still under contract.
4. Hawks doesn't really have a ready backup to step in.

Definitely won't go for a multi-year contract with Brown, two years would be ideal, but no more. Don't think Brown has much leverage at this point, would he like to sit out the year if no extension? At his age, it would be a bad idea.

Let's pay the man and sign a two years extension.

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":4pq2rqrd said:
Few thoughts:

1. I subscribe to Bill Walsh's philosophy on trading aging stars: rather be one year too early than one year too late.
2. Brown was good and had a great season, but he was owned by Aldon Smith when they last met, even after Iupati came over to help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqUtA8Z0Zng
3. Brown is still under contract.
4. Hawks doesn't really have a ready backup to step in.

Definitely won't go for a multi-year contract with Brown, two years would be ideal, but no more. Don't think Brown has much leverage at this point, would he like to sit out the year if no extension? At his age, it would be a bad idea.

Let's pay the man and sign a two years extension.

Really don't think he wants more then that at his age, do think he wants a top level salary for those two years, not one spread out that can be nullified if released with little chance of starting somewhere else and getting another contract while he is a commodity.

flv

Reaction score
Rat":3gps5kym said:
He has leverage and has shown a willingness to hold out in the past. We kind of need him, unless Stone is a very fast learner.

So, why is he not practicing? The usuals are claiming the media is creating stories for clickbait again, so I assume he has some other legitimate reason.
He's due $11M+ with no guarantee. If he practices and doesn't look great or he gets a minor knock the Seahawks could cut him in a heart beat with no repercussions. If the Seahawks were to release him at the 53-man roster cut point for poor form or health reasons his market could be limited. He played through 2020 without guarantees and for him this is likely an issue about respect.

Latest posts