EPL 2014-15 Season

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Probably one phrase describes that match. Arsenal showed promise. It's still a loss, and I'm still disappointed and upset at losing. However, last season Arsenal were dead and buried within 20 minutes, this season Arsenal weren't truly out till Costa's goal. And Szczesny hesitated badly on that 2nd goal and it helped Costa's chance. That match was as even as can be and the difference was within the finest of margins. I do feel that the entire outcome of the match hinged on that decision to give Cahill a yellow and not a red despite the challenge being nearly identical to the one by Felipe Melo on Wednesday.

Arsenal did set up pretty well. They didn't go all out like they did last season in those 3 away games. They ensured Chelsea didn't break them down too easily. It really came down to who actually put away their chances and that, unfortunately for Arsenal, that was Chelsea. If Arsenal can just fix their play in and around the 18 yard box, they might have a chance to truly challenge for the title(yes I know they have to sign a DM, I'm beyond sick of hearing that by now). As someone said a few weeks back, Arsenal too often looks for the perfect goal. Just shoot it or try to run into the box, that's all you really need to do, yet Arsenal try to pass it all over the place.

Honestly the thing that annoyed me most was Martin Atkinson. He was inconsistent with his decisions all game. I won't argue the penalty decision, it was a mistimed challenge by Koscielny. But not sending off Cahill, booking Gibbs for a challenge that was identical to one by Oscar just seconds prior, and then not booking Oscar till the 85th minute(in my mind 40 minutes or so after he should've been), was really irritating. Probably should've booked a couple other players on both sides as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I thought Atkinson did alright and I'll explain... If he starts handing out cards where he should have this game would've finished 9v9 (minus a manager as well...da hell Wenger, you nut). He treated it like a derby match and that had to be difficult. (Which means he was good by being bad because not being bad would've let the players ruin the game...Welbecks tackle a prime example. Driven by frustration and permissiveness, a deserved red there would've been outlandish.)

Perhaps Atkinson was allowing rough play to get more run outs from the Chelsea doctor...

Arsenal were better. Showed teeth. But rarely tested the goal. Kind of a rear guard venture without much counter production. But still...a very determined effort.

Still.. Jose is the class of the Prem on the touchline. No manager sets his club up better each match.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":v1owr5bu said:
InSuarezWeTrust":v1owr5bu said:
Henderson > Ozil

Come at me

Saying Henderson is better than any midfielder is gonna sound like you've lost it. On current form, Henderson is probably better. I mean Ozil had some good matches against Villa, Spurs and Galatasaray, but because he didn't have a good game against Chelsea everyone's back on the "slate Ozil bandwagon".

47 mill for " every third match " will always be Ozils hangup. Still.. can be a fine player. Just not sure England is the right league for him.

Henderson is fast becoming a very very good midfielder. Industrious, very active,somewhat creative. If hr could develop a finished product he could become Gerrard's replacement.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":fhz1y028 said:
I thought Atkinson did alright and I'll explain... If he starts handing out cards where he should have this game would've finished 9v9 (minus a manager as well...da hell Wenger, you nut). He treated it like a derby match and that had to be difficult. (Which means he was good by being bad because not being bad would've let the players ruin the game...Welbecks tackle a prime example. Driven by frustration and permissiveness, a deserved red there would've been outlandish.)

Arsenal were better. Showed teeth. But rarely tested the goal. Kind of a rear guard venture without much counter production. But still...a very determined effort.

Still.. Jose is the class of the Prem on the touchline. No manager sets his club up better each match.

Cahill still probably should've been sent off though. For Sanchez to be fouled in virtually the exact same manner, by two different players in the span of 5 days, and neither player is sent off, is just not right. Welbeck probably did get lucky himself not to be sent off, but what may have saved him from a red card is the fact that he barely caught Fabregas, if he got a little bit more, that yellow would've been a red.

I don't like this defense that a referee treated it as a derby match. They are meant to protect the players on the pitch, but if you "treat it like a derby match" your essentially saying a player could virtually do anything they want, no matter how ridiculously dangerous it is, to an opposing player and be at risk of only receiving a yellow card. Last year why did he send off Gibbs(still should've been Ox) for a handball and not "treat it like a derby" and only show him a yellow card? Why was Adebayor sent off 2 years ago against Arsenal, couldn't the referee have treated that "like a derby" and gave him a yellow? It's this double standard referees seem to have at times that annoys me, they'll send off a player for a handball or a last man foul that was barely over the halfway line, but show yellow to a two footed, off the ground challenge that could've severely injured a player.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ecag6yo said:
47 mill for " every third match " will always be Ozils hangup. Still.. can be a fine player. Just not sure England is the right league for him.

Henderson is fast becoming a very very good midfielder. Industrious, very active,somewhat creative. If hr could develop a finished product he could become Gerrard's replacement.

That's the reason people seem to slate Ozil, cause he was brought in for a club record 42.5 million, everyone expects him to score goals, make assists, feed the hungry, build homes for the homeless, find alien life, and find the cure to cancer. It's more like there's way too high of expectations for him, even more so for someone purchased for that much. And that they expect him to put up 10.0 rated, MOTM performances every single week, and if he doesn't do that, he's "overrated" or he's a "flop".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":29oznpyb said:
Uncle Si":29oznpyb said:

That's the reason people seem to slate Ozil, cause he was brought in for a club record 42.5 million, everyone expects him to score goals, make assists, feed the hungry, build homes for the homeless, find alien life, and find the cure to cancer. It's more like there's way too high of expectations for him, even more so for someone purchased for that much. And that they expect him to put up 10.0 rated, MOTM performances every single week, and if he doesn't do that, he's "overrated" or he's a "flop".

He could play a consistent strong game of football. Doesnt have to be MOTM, maybe just be "better than average" or not be "jesus christ, Ozil just pissed the ball back to Chelsea and killed Arsenal's brief forays up top again"

All players are judged on their price tag, not just wee Ozil. But he was dire yet again in a big match, and it has to be disconcerting for Arsenal (i know it is for my Gunner friends, they're bored of him). 75% of his matches are negative to no impact. Even if he was on a free thats an issue for a player you are relying on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":363oynrs said:
Uncle Si":363oynrs said:

Cahill still probably should've been sent off though. For Sanchez to be fouled in virtually the exact same manner, by two different players in the span of 5 days, and neither player is sent off, is just not right. Welbeck probably did get lucky himself not to be sent off, but what may have saved him from a red card is the fact that he barely caught Fabregas, if he got a little bit more, that yellow would've been a red.

I don't like this defense that a referee treated it as a derby match. They are meant to protect the players on the pitch, but if you "treat it like a derby match" your essentially saying a player could virtually do anything they want, no matter how ridiculously dangerous it is, to an opposing player and be at risk of only receiving a yellow card. Last year why did he send off Gibbs(still should've been Ox) for a handball and not "treat it like a derby" and only show him a yellow card? Why was Adebayor sent off 2 years ago against Arsenal, couldn't the referee have treated that "like a derby" and gave him a yellow? It's this double standard referees seem to have at times that annoys me, they'll send off a player for a handball or a last man foul that was barely over the halfway line, but show yellow to a two footed, off the ground challenge that could've severely injured a player.

ugh...I think you missed the tongue in cheek aspect of it.. obviously the ref was horrible. Chambers shouldve seen double yellow early, Cahill straight red, Welbeck straight red late on (horror challenges dont need to make contact... dont be silly) and Oscar atleast a yellow. One could argue Kocielsny shouldve been sent off (I dont like double jeapordy, but that is the definition of "last defender" AND "denying a goal scoring opportunity"). Wenger shouldve been sent home in his mom's car.

the game was theatre, played to comedic perfection by its pantomine heroes and (mostly) villains. was fun to watch. For as bad as Atkinson was, if he was spot on that game is a clown show and end atleast 10v9. Players couldnt help themselves. (thus the "derby" comparison)

Also, Sanchez is the new Suarez. get used to it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":5kwvm5dc said:
Uncle Si":5kwvm5dc said:

explain how the hell he's the new Suarez?

Hell huh? big talker....

You're thinking about the negative Suarez, Gate, which is naive.

Sanchez is a brawler of a player. he's shify, aggressive, physical. he invites contact and takes on defenders. He nics at ankles, pulls, pushes and fights inside his spaces.

he will be fouled, alot, because of it. and because of that he will not always get the justice from the refs, but will always draw the hard fouls from his opponents.

this is why liverpool wanted him. he was the closest thing to a Suarez "replacement" out there.

Ozil out 10-12 weeks....

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27nqr6dn said:
Gatehawk":27nqr6dn said:
Uncle Si":27nqr6dn said:

Hell huh? big talker....

Sanchez is a brawler of a player. he's shify, aggressive, physical. he invites contact and takes on defenders. He nics at ankles, pulls, pushes and fights inside his spaces.

he will be fouled, alot, because of it. and because of that he will not always get the justice from the refs, but will always draw the hard fouls from his opponents.

this is why liverpool wanted him. he was the closest thing to a Suarez "replacement" out there.

Ozil out 10-12 weeks....

Terry medium
I disagree sir, I say he's just a dirty slider/actor
:sarcasm_on:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
oh behave... theres literally countless hours of Sanchez going at defenders. (as well as countless hours of video of Hazard flying through the air under the breeze of a mid afternoon gust of wind... and I love Hazard as a player)

Nice find though. Probably has Gate in a tizzy.

Personally, I like Sanchez as a player. Wanted him at Liverpool.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3pe6gn8l said:
oh behave... theres literally countless hours of Sanchez going at defenders. (as well as countless hours of video of Hazard flying through the air under the breeze of a mid afternoon gust of wind... and I love Hazard as a player)

lol, listen Im just a blue plastic who hates everything Barcelona related. (even cesc fabregas, even though I love having him on the team :stirthepot: ) Sanchez is a hell of a player, no doubt. Those Chileans have heart.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":qn08f8nj said:
Uncle Si":qn08f8nj said:

lol, listen Im just a blue plastic who hates everything Barcelona related. (even cesc fabregas, even though I love having him on the team :stirthepot: ) Sanchez is a hell of a player, no doubt. Those Chileans have heart.

It will be Fabregas, not Costa, that wins you the title this season.

Unbelievable purchase by Chelsea.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
It will be Fabregas said:
I begrudingly have to agree with you. Oscar is a great talent, but there's no denying what Cesc is doing and his value to our ball movement, as of late. All of Mourinho's doubters and haters that were calling for Mata to stay, have been quiet for a while.

ARS-MAN, just kidding Arsenal, let us know just how much they miss him

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3cwwv65r said:
Gatehawk":3cwwv65r said:
Uncle Si":3cwwv65r said:

Hell huh? big talker....

Ozil out 10-12 weeks....

I suppose it's my fault for believing that anytime someone compares a player to Suarez, they mean an incredibly talented player with an unusual issue with gravity that no one else seems to have.