Evaluation of the Hawks from a Pats fan

Hyak

Reaction score
Well the Kearse pass play was on a 1st down play so it would have been 2nd and 10 from the NE 38 with 1:20 or so on the clock and 2 timeouts. I have no idea how that would have turned out but that is plenty of time to score there.

I think most people 2nd guess "the play" decision. I get not running although the Hawks could have changed their personnel there just like NE did. To me, play action or a read option keeper with Wilson made more sense even with their 3 WR set.

On the play, there's no question Butler and Browner made great plays and it was well coached. On the flip side, the execution on Seattle's side was not perfect by any means (Kearse and Lockette). That's football.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3kdekhcb said:
Thanks for the posters who critiqued the Pats in my earlier thread over on the NFL board. Now to return the favor, I'll give a few opinions about the Hawks based on this 1 game.

Offense:
- Wilson is a monster, and in my opinion, the most dominant player on Seattle by far. While his running and elusiveness didn't kill NE, it was a constant threat and on a couple of plays he did show that he can't be trapped 1 on 1 no matter who the defender is. But it's his big play ability with down the field throws that's off the charts. Not only accurate but extremely catchable balls, 40 yards away. Amazing. The team probably needs to complement that with a more sophisticated short passing attack so that Wilson can get more completions under his belt especially in the early going.

- Kearse is a very dangerous player, I think NE would have done better to try Revis on him rather than Baldwin. You've also got a lot of depth and size at WR, the 2nd stringers were killing us.

- No sign of a TE, was Willson hurt or do they just not throw there?

- Beast is something, but wasn't a huge factor in this game except for his great 31 yard route & catch on the final drive. I kind of knew we'd be able to scheme him under control on the run, and I'd say we did. He got 102 yards but didn't break any long ones and never got a real rhythm going. We also got him down on the 1 with a full head of steam when it mattered most (somehow).

- your OL looked OK in protection but didn't dominate in the run game. Compared to the rest of your team, I think it's the unit most in need of an upgrade.

Defense:
- Bennett is as good a rusher as you'll ever see, we couldn't handle him. The rest of the DL was good containing the run but nobody else got any pressure on Brady. Even if Avril had played the 4th qtr, he wasn't doing much anyway against Vollmer, a great RT.

- Wagner is as advertised, would love to have him. But Irvin didn't impact the game and your other LB couldn't stay with Gronk at all. Overall your front 7 played pretty well, very stingy vs. the run.

- at DB, Sherman even with an injury is a great athlete and corner, and I'm even starting to like his personality (a little bit). Maxwell was the wrong guy against Amendola or Edelman, constantly getting spun around. The safeties in all honesty were not dominant, but both had injuries so hard to say if that made a big diff. As a group the DB's were outplayed by Brady and NE's receivers. Lane would have helped in a game like this.

- the Seahawks defense is very good but not the "historical" super-mario D I was reading about pre-game. They got picked apart pretty good all day long except for the 3rd quarter - 5 long drives. They were not dominant by any definition.

Intangibles/coaching:
- I love Carroll as a coach and motivator, and was surprised how many times your offense was able to gash us with big plays based on matchup advantages you were able to create. But somehow they blew 2 TO's in the final drive just trying to line up, and seemed a little discombobulated at the biggest point in the game (not a fact, just my impression).

Disagree about Avril, when he went out the pressure was gone, he was getting push.

Also Disagree about Lynch, he was consistently getting chunks of yards.

The Patriots couldnt come close to tackling Wilson, yet we dont exploit it, on top of the the Lane and Avril Injuries meannt that it all lined up perfectly for the Pats to win the game. If the defense was healthy this game isnt close.

But we had thins line up right for us in the Packers game, so live by the sword, die by the sword.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The Patriots werent the better team, the hawks just crapped the bed and the whole world knows it. Good luck after Brady retires (incredible quarterback) and your coach moves on. What a great run, but this championship was handed to you.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The Lane injury was crippling. Seattle isn't well equipped to handle multiple quick/slot receivers like those the Patriots have. Simon is a quality long corner, but isn't savvy enough to be able to cover quick guys like that. A lot like Browner still is for NE. Seattle could be effective with Lane and Maxwell. But once Lane went out, our quick corners were depleted to basically zero.

Sherman isn't as effective against those types either. But he's so smart and technically sound, that he is still very good. Maxwell is similar in that way. Simon isn't there yet and had Lane not been injured, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Curious though, when Lynch got it down to the one yard line, as a pats fan what was the mood at your viewing parties? Here everyone expected Lynch to punch it in almost as a given. I knew in my bones we were going ahead. The one matchup that so grossly favored Seattle was NE's bad goal line run defense and Seattle's outstanding goal line rushing attack. I figured there would be around 10-15 seconds left for the Pats to drive 50ish yards to get a FG.

When we lined up 4 wide I said out loud, "WTF, why do we hate Lynch so much?" right before the pick. It was like I was seeing a bizarro world game unfold before my eyes. Then the ball was snapped and I don't really remember much. It's like 10 minutes I just don't remember. I don't even remember what happened afterwards. Didn't see the fight or kneel down. Don't remember anything except just pure befuddlement. It was pure shock.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3cd34oi8 said:
50yrpatsfan":3cd34oi8 said:
Thanks for the posters who critiqued the Pats in my earlier thread over on the NFL board. Now to return the favor, I'll give a few opinions about the Hawks based on this 1 game.

Here's my opinion.

You got lucky. Every domino that needed to fall for the Patriots to beat the hawks in the Superbowl fell.

The secondary injuries before the game, the outrageous situation of having the one guy who could cover Gronk blow out his MCL in Friday practice.

The starting nickle DB breaking his arm on an early interception.

The D line of your opponent playing the 4th quarter with only 1 starter.

Not handing the ball to Lynch.

It took an INSANE run of incredible luck for the Patriots to win this Superbowl, from the Seahawks perspective, our insane run of good luck in the NFC Championship completely reversed in the Superbowl.

You've been there before... you had a 16-0 regular season team that broke every record lose to a 10-6 NY Giants team with Eli at QB.

Bizarre sets of circumstances happen. That Superbowl on Sunday gets replayed 10 times - Seattle wins 7 of them. If the Seahawks aren't decimated by injuries going into the Superbowl - you lose in a blowout 6 times out of 10.

If the Packers had actually held on in Seattle, you lose to the Packers in the Superbowl at least 60% of the time.

Being good only puts you in the right position to be either lucky or unlucky but at the end of the year, sometimes it is just about luck. Your team had a hell of a run of bad luck between 2007 and 2014, and this year things finally broke your way.

I don't mind the Patriots winning this Superbowl, because, like I said, they have had some egregiously bad luck before.

But right now we are sitting on the wrong side of a really hard luck season -- brutal injuries (the most injured team in the NFL - and we still almost won the SB) so excuse me if I just don't care how anyone "evaluates" this team.

You can't evaluate a team that has 23 players out of a 53 man roster suffer season ending injuries that require surgery. Any attempt to do so is foolish.

Agree with some of your points, and certainly the Hawks had bad luck with defensive injuries. But that's not the same as saying the Patriots were incredibly lucky to win and needed all these things to line up perfectly etc. We marched up and down the field on you all night long, you couldn't stop us much of the game. And we also got plenty of stops on your offensel, including the final play - which was a historically great defensive play, not an unforced offensive error.

Our best players performed better than your best players, and our coach outperformed yours. You can't argue that too long and hard, except to say that it "might" have been different if you weren't quite so banged up on D.

Mick063

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2t8gd4th said:
The_Z_Man":2t8gd4th said:
50yrpatsfan":2t8gd4th said:

Here's my opinion.

You got lucky. Every domino that needed to fall for the Patriots to beat the hawks in the Superbowl fell.

The secondary injuries before the game, the outrageous situation of having the one guy who could cover Gronk blow out his MCL in Friday practice.

It took an INSANE run of incredible luck for the Patriots to win this Superbowl, from the Seahawks perspective, our insane run of good luck in the NFC Championship completely reversed in the Superbowl.

You've been there before... you had a 16-0 regular season team that broke every record lose to a 10-6 NY Giants team with Eli at QB.

Bizarre sets of circumstances happen. That Superbowl on Sunday gets replayed 10 times - Seattle wins 7 of them. If the Seahawks aren't decimated by injuries going into the Superbowl - you lose in a blowout 6 times out of 10.

If the Packers had actually held on in Seattle, you lose to the Packers in the Superbowl at least 60% of the time.

Being good only puts you in the right position to be either lucky or unlucky but at the end of the year, sometimes it is just about luck. Your team had a hell of a run of bad luck between 2007 and 2014, and this year things finally broke your way.

I don't mind the Patriots winning this Superbowl, because, like I said, they have had some egregiously bad luck before.

But right now we are sitting on the wrong side of a really hard luck season -- brutal injuries (the most injured team in the NFL - and we still almost won the SB) so excuse me if I just don't care how anyone "evaluates" this team.

You can't evaluate a team that has 23 players out of a 53 man roster suffer season ending injuries that require surgery. Any attempt to do so is foolish.

Agree with some of your points, and certainly the Hawks had bad luck with defensive injuries. But that's not the same as saying the Patriots were incredibly lucky to win and needed all these things to line up perfectly etc. We marched up and down the field on you all night long, you couldn't stop us much of the game. And we also got plenty of stops on your offensel, including the final play - which was a historically great defensive play, not an unforced offensive error.

Our best players performed better than your best players, and our coach outperformed yours. You can't argue that too long and hard, except to say that it "might" have been different if you weren't quite so banged up on D.

The stars aligned for the Pats and they took advantage.

Your analysis sucks.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3keadql0 said:
The_Z_Man":3keadql0 said:
50yrpatsfan":3keadql0 said:

Here's my opinion.

The poster above is spot on.. you have to be living in some dream world to honestly say your not sure how much of a diff the healthy d would have made.. enjoy the win but take the Homer shades off... your d gave up plenty of big plays. . We put up 24 and it should have been more... your d is on part with a severely injured hawks d... congrats .

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3e2owiv6 said:
The_Z_Man":3e2owiv6 said:
50yrpatsfan":3e2owiv6 said:

Here's my opinion.

The poster above is spot on.. you have to be living in some dream world to honestly say your not sure how much of a diff the healthy d would have made.. enjoy the win but take the Homer shades off... your d gave up plenty of big plays. . We put up 24 and it should have been more... your d is on part with a severely injured hawks d... congrats .[/quote]

Let's say that Lane and Avril didn't get hurt. Are you saying that Seattle then definitely wins? It's possible but you can't put a percentage on that, and it's certainly not a definite. Brady was having no trouble moving the ball when those guys were in. Lane isn't even a starter, Avril was going against a premier and athletic RT in Vollmer. So I'm not living in a dream world. Yes you had other pre-game injuries but so did NE.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":gd5706yx said:
- first, the Hawks had no business being down there, that catch was insane. Perfectly defended and broken up, bounces off Kearse's leg while he was looking the other way, and up into his hands after hitting about 4 other body parts. It should have been incomplete and Seattle is 3rd down from the 35 or 40 with 1:20 left.you criticize the play call, but NE had things covered both ways and would have defeated either play.

So you're saying that the Seahawks had no business being down there because Kearse didn't make that catch?
Funny that the Referee's missed that one :roll:
The beast would have scored, and there was no way the Pats stop him with two tries for that one Yard.
The Pats didn't cheat to win, but, if we're all being honest, it was indeed a bone headed play call by the Seahawks that handed the game to them.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
How can you say your best players played better than our best players when our best players couldn't play their best?

razor150

Reaction score
A healthy Seahawks D wipes the floor with the Pats. Even as banged up as they were the Seahwks d clearly had Brady rattled with the pressure they were putting on him, then Avril goes down and the pressure is gone and Brady gets the time he needs to win the game.

Pats win because of 2 reasons, Seahawk d injuries and Quinn's inability to make the adjustments needed. There was no excuse Gronk being 1 on 1 with Wright, or Edellman getting a 2nd chance to make a fool out of Simon. I also question why with all the injuries we had in the secondary why Burley wasn't active, he would have been a better match up against your recievers then Simon.

breakin

Reaction score
My take on the game.

I see some people point to the Lane injury as a turning point. Brady was 9 for 10 prior to that injury so its not like the passing game only got going when he got hurt.

Felt really bad going into half tied. I thought the pats were easily the better team in the first half and honestly with the way the seahawks were coming on offensively to end the half I thought the Pats might have blown their shot.

I get kind of annoyed how people talk about the Pats getting lucky that the seahawks threw that INT to end the game. Lets be real here, 2 plays prior the Seahawks had an all-time lucky/fluke catch to even get the ball down to the redzone. Not taking anything away from Kearse as he had great concentration to complete the catch on the bounce.

Also on that INT, its getting lost in the noise just how good of a play Butler made.

Sherman injury getting overblown in terms of the games outcome. Sherman does what he always does. Stay on his side of the field. Pats obviously schemed around that and only threw at him once for like 4 yards or something. Its not like the Pats were taking advantage of an injured sherman.

Also on players in the game playing with injuries, Hightower who was right up there with Revis in terms of our best D player had played the last 2 months with a torn labrum and needs surgery to repair it.

I do agree that Avril leaving the game hurt, but at the same time the Pats gameplan was to diminish any pass rush by getting the ball out quick. They did have success moving the ball while Avril was in the game.

DickSherman25

Reaction score
Patsfan, nice try, but living up here, I know you will have no luck convincing most of these folks that the greatest team ever could possibly been beaten fair and square. Since last year, all that is talked about on talk radio, is how this franchise is simply the best from top to bottom.

And as for Wilson, couldn't disagree with you more. He is simply a good running qb, who if allowed to run around long enough for his second rate receivers to get open, can make a big play.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
DickSherman25":34k82izt said:
Patsfan, nice try, but living up here, I know you will have no luck convincing most of these folks that the greatest team ever could possibly been beaten fair and square. Since last year, all that is talked about on talk radio, is how this franchise is simply the best from top to bottom.

And as for Wilson, couldn't disagree with you more. He is simply a good running qb, who if allowed to run around long enough for his second rate receivers to get open, can make a big play.

The Hawks were great from end of 2012 through the end of last year, extremely formidable. Somehow they lost that Atlanta playoff game or they'd probably have 2 SB's under their belts. But this year they went downhill significantly, due to injury and loss of some talent to FA. imo it's 50-50 if they can continue to play at a championship level, with coaches leaving and the rest of the league gunning for them. It's very difficult to stay on top.

Wilson is more than a running QB, his downfield accuracy and overall playmaking is elite. But I'd say he's not elite in the short to medium pass game.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
It's one of those 'what if' games I keep playing over and over in my mind.

What if Thomas and Sherman didn't get hurt in the NFC Championship game, what if Kam didn't get hurt in the last practice before the SB, what if Lane and Avril didn't get hurt during the game. That's a lot of injuries that happened recently. I can't ponder it too much, just drives me crazy, and does me no good.... can't change anything right?

Would the Pats have put up 28 points? No. Not a chance. This has been the #1 scoring defense for 3 years, averaging 15.9 pts a game. Just watching the game, the defense wasn't close to full strength. They were wounded, hurt, worn out. :Dunno:

But hey that's football, part of the game. The NFL at times is a battle of attrition. It is what it is.

morgulon1

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":inpugpbi said:

Offense:
- Wilson is a monster, and in my opinion, the most dominant player on Seattle by far. While his running and elusiveness didn't kill NE, it was a constant threat and on a couple of plays he did show that he can't be trapped 1 on 1 no matter who the defender is. But it's his big play ability with down the field throws that's off the charts. Not only accurate but extremely catchable balls, 40 yards away. Amazing. The team probably needs to complement that with a more sophisticated short passing attack so that Wilson can get more completions under his belt especially in the early going.

- Kearse is a very dangerous player, I think NE would have done better to try Revis on him rather than Baldwin. You've also got a lot of depth and size at WR, the 2nd stringers were killing us.

- No sign of a TE, was Willson hurt or do they just not throw there?

- Beast is something, but wasn't a huge factor in this game except for his great 31 yard route & catch on the final drive. I kind of knew we'd be able to scheme him under control on the run, and I'd say we did. He got 102 yards but didn't break any long ones and never got a real rhythm going. We also got him down on the 1 with a full head of steam when it mattered most (somehow).

- your OL looked OK in protection but didn't dominate in the run game. Compared to the rest of your team, I think it's the unit most in need of an upgrade.

Defense:
- Bennett is as good a rusher as you'll ever see, we couldn't handle him. The rest of the DL was good containing the run but nobody else got any pressure on Brady. Even if Avril had played the 4th qtr, he wasn't doing much anyway against Vollmer, a great RT.

- Wagner is as advertised, would love to have him. But Irvin didn't impact the game and your other LB couldn't stay with Gronk at all. Overall your front 7 played pretty well, very stingy vs. the run.

- at DB, Sherman even with an injury is a great athlete and corner, and I'm even starting to like his personality (a little bit). Maxwell was the wrong guy against Amendola or Edelman, constantly getting spun around. The safeties in all honesty were not dominant, but both had injuries so hard to say if that made a big diff. As a group the DB's were outplayed by Brady and NE's receivers. Lane would have helped in a game like this.

- the Seahawks defense is very good but not the "historical" super-mario D I was reading about pre-game. They got picked apart pretty good all day long except for the 3rd quarter - 5 long drives. They were not dominant by any definition.

Intangibles/coaching:
- I love Carroll as a coach and motivator, and was surprised how many times your offense was able to gash us with big plays based on matchup advantages you were able to create. But somehow they blew 2 TO's in the final drive just trying to line up, and seemed a little discombobulated at the biggest point in the game (not a fact, just my impression).

If our defense wasn't missing our 2 interior starters Brandon Mebane and Jordan Hill, our nickel db Jeremy Lane, Earl Thomas had a separated shoulder and torn labrum, Kam Chancellor played with a torn MCL (kind of a big deal).
I'll spot you Avril and Lane because it happened in the actual game. Richard Sherman couldn't tackle because of his shoulder.

My point is that you didn't see what Seattle's actual defense is all about. Even then you still barely won by the skin of your teeth...4 points . If you're truly honest with yourself you'll admit that . Watch the Patriots play Seattle a couple of years ago at the Clink? Seattle wasn't as good as they would become.

You seem to write pretty stupid posts but that doesn't mean you're stupid.

morgulon1

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":26yfqh95 said:
50yrpatsfan":26yfqh95 said:

You saw a very tired, very injured, depleted defense and LOB.

I think we had 7 or 8 defensive lineman on IR, including Brandon Mebane, the equivalent to your Wilfork. Once Avril went down...

The LOB was a shadow of itself, Sherman(damaged ligaments in his elbow), Thomas(fully torn labrum), Chanceller(torn MCL and bone bruise), all very bang up. Once Lane went down...

Not making excuses, but if this is the first time you watched that D, you didn't see them at full strength.

And STILL BARELY won. Full strength against full strength Seattle wins.

morgulon1

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":9k30ugkq said:
DickSherman25":9k30ugkq said:

The Hawks were great from end of 2012 through the end of last year, extremely formidable. Somehow they lost that Atlanta playoff game or they'd probably have 2 SB's under their belts. But this year they went downhill significantly, due to injury and loss of some talent to FA. imo it's 50-50 if they can continue to play at a championship level, with coaches leaving and the rest of the league gunning for them. It's very difficult to stay on top.

Wilson is more than a running QB, his downfield accuracy and overall playmaking is elite. But I'd say he's not elite in the short to medium pass game.

He will be once he gets a formidable TE that he can trust to catch consistently.

Rex

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3eo3fupy said:
50yrpatsfan":3eo3fupy said:
- first, the Hawks had no business being down there, that catch was insane. Perfectly defended and broken up, bounces off Kearse's leg while he was looking the other way, and up into his hands after hitting about 4 other body parts. It should have been incomplete and Seattle is 3rd down from the 35 or 40 with 1:20 left.you criticize the play call, but NE had things covered both ways and would have defeated either play.

So you're saying that the Seahawks had no business being down there because Kearse didn't make that catch?
Funny that the Referee's missed that one :roll:
The beast would have scored, and there was no way the Pats stop him with two tries for that one Yard.
The Pats didn't cheat to win,

Thats the thing……

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!

With time the truth will come out. The NFL will cover it up for the Cheatriots, no question. Yet the truth will be known.