Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

Ozzy

Reaction score
It doesn't fix it but people trying to convince me he's been great is odd. The line has been bad, Bevell hasn't been on his game and the offense as a whole is struggling. It's ok to admit that. A healthy RW probably helps as much as anything but I hate having a generational QB and this line to go with it. But I will say it again, in a normal world this OC would be getting coaching interviews every year because of being in this system, working with Pete AND Wilson etc. He isn't getting any. That seems strange to me.

But I think if the tackles play a little better this offense is back to being a top 5 DVOA offense like they have been every year with Wilson and Bevell. I think it has more to do with Wilson but we really can't know until we are forced to know.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wdla92f6 said:
If you don't like Bevell, then you don't like Pete.

Pete Carroll is a HOF college coach, and going to be a HOF NFL coach, and has forgotten more football knowledge then you have in your entire brains.

If Bevell's so terrible, why is he here? Does he have naked pics of Pete? Did he secretly give Pete one of his kidneys?

Pete Carroll does not hire bad coaches, Period. Bevell is here because he's a good coordinator that works well within the confines of what Pete wants run on offense, ball control pound the rock let Russell make 3-4 explosive plays per game, etc.

This offense was #4 in the NFL last year, and #1 the last six weeks................ with almost the exact same personnel, AND Bevell as it's coordinator. It's having a hard time this year because half it's players are hurt, especially Russell, Lockett and Rawls.

Playcalling fixes all this? Really?

We have had the #1 offense the last 6 weeks? Please post the link to that stat. Statsimadeup.com doesn't count.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i989amj said:

Pete Carroll is a HOF college coach, and going to be a HOF NFL coach, and has forgotten more football knowledge then you have in your entire brains.

If Bevell's so terrible, why is he here? Does he have naked pics of Pete? Did he secretly give Pete one of his kidneys?

Pete Carroll does not hire bad coaches, Period. Bevell is here because he's a good coordinator that works well within the confines of what Pete wants run on offense, ball control pound the rock let Russell make 3-4 explosive plays per game, etc.

This offense was #4 in the NFL last year, and #1 the last six weeks................ with almost the exact same personnel, AND Bevell as it's coordinator. It's having a hard time this year because half it's players are hurt, especially Russell, Lockett and Rawls.

Thats not true at all. Pete falls on the sword for his guys, being loyal doesn't make you infallible.

Part of being a coach is being able to adjust when things happen. Bevell lacks the ability to make appropriate adjustments week in and week out. It's like he's not sure what will work against what, this isn't something new.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qseup2k1 said:

the offense was #4 last year because of RW not Bevell. Sorry, aint buyin it. And yes I'll say it, not crazy about Pete's offensive philosophy, clock management, discipline, and the fact he keeps Bevell around. He needs to realize, we're not a power running team anymore, and evolve to something that works for the personnel we do have. Love what Pete's done for this team, but he needs to have a more open mind, and be willing to accept the fact this is no longer his 2013 Seahawks. JM2C

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":346tvcb5 said:
the offense was #4 last year because of RW not Bevell. Sorry, aint buyin it. And yes I'll say it, not crazy about Pete's offensive philosophy, clock management, discipline, and the fact he keeps Bevell around. He needs to realize, we're not a power running team anymore, and evolve to something that works for the personnel we do have. Love what Pete's done for this team, but he needs to have a more open mind, and be willing to accept the fact this is no longer his 2013 Seahawks. JM2C

That's selective criticism.

You can't separate out Bevell when the offense is good, but then put the blame on him when it's bad. Is that fair to you?

The offense is a whole, from Pete on down to the players executing. If you want to argue who's most at fault for yesterday I can discuss that. But IMO it's not reasonable to think being #4 is ALL Russell and zero Bevell.

Last night's poor offensive play had far more to do with injuries, penalties and the putrid O-line, far more than playcalling.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
According to CBS Sports and we had 5 (?!?!?) first downs in the first 4 quarters last night.

If you honestly believe that Bevell cannot be held responsible for essentially 1.2-1.3 first downs PER QUARTER, then I have no idea what would convince you.

5 first downs in a game is so bad you should be fired at halftime.....not having people making excuses for your sorry tail the next day.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1hulmbl0 said:
According to CBS Sports and we had 5 (?!?!?) first downs in the first 4 quarters last night.

If you honestly believe that Bevell cannot be held responsible for essentially 1.2-1.3 first downs PER QUARTER, then I have no idea what would convince you.

5 first downs in a game is so bad you should be fired at halftime.....not having people making excuses for your sorry tail the next day.

Even if you discount Bevell's input on the game and point to lack of execution, what value is he adding to the team in a situation where the offense isn't executing? If it all comes down to team execution, then Bevell's strategies are brittle.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent said:
You can't separate out Bevell when the offense is good, but then put the blame on him when it's bad. Is that fair to you?quote]

Yes I can, and yes it is. When we're 'good', it's in spite of him due to incredible playmakers making up for his shortfalls. When our players are unable to make up for his shortfalls due to retirements, injuries, and trades, then he gets fully exposed. That's just a fact. You can't go from 'fully healthy and 60 points per game' to 'one retirement, 3 injuries, and 2 trades and unable to score a TD for multiple games' and still think your OC is anywhere close to competent. You can't. His offense and adjustments needs to be able to make for that stuff at least a little bit, and bevel's is absolutely unable to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GeekHawk":12z7dxp1 said:
Sgt. Largent":12z7dxp1 said:
You can't separate out Bevell when the offense is good, but then put the blame on him when it's bad. Is that fair to you?quote]

Yes I can, and yes it is. When we're 'good', it's in spite of him due to incredible playmakers making up for his shortfalls. When our players are unable to make up for his shortfalls due to retirements, injuries, and trades, then he gets fully exposed. That's just a fact. You can't go from 'fully healthy and 60 points per game' to 'one retirement, 3 injuries, and 2 trades and unable to score a TD for multiple games' and still think your OC is anywhere close to competent. You can't. His offense and adjustments needs to be able to make for that stuff at least a little bit, and bevel's is absolutely unable to.

This makes no sense to me, playcalling is a big part of those players making those plays.........putting them in situations to succeed.

If you can't see that, well then you're not being logical.

Bevell's not infallible, but he is just one component of a complicated problem right now.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I never said he can't design plays (well, not all that much), but I DO say he can't call plays or choose the right ones to put into a game plan for an opponent. Possibly not even able to game plan in the first place. Maybe he should be an assistant OC or something. Why do you think RW has to make so many incredible 'something out of nothing' plays? Because it was 'nothing' in the first place due to the OC calling an incredibly stupid play, and RW has to either change it at the line or improvise when it gets busted.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q7yt0ow said:
GeekHawk":3q7yt0ow said:
Sgt. Largent":3q7yt0ow said:

This makes no sense to me, playcalling is a big part of those players making those plays.........putting them in situations to succeed.

If you can't see that, well then you're not being logical.

Bevell's not infallible, but he is just one component of a complicated problem right now.

Yeah, the head doesn't know how to control a body that isn't pristine.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DynoHawk":1ynjap9t said:
No Run Game, no pass protection, no time to throw. Sounds like we have problems with our Cable.
Cable is part of the problem too. I wouldn't mind a total purging of all of the offensive coaches.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Fair enough.

But considering we no longer have the pieces he can succeed with, perhaps we should get rid of him and find someone that CAN succeed with the pieces we have.

As the NFL points out in their recent tweet, 3 games this year have scored 10 or less total points through 3 quarters. ALL of those games were Seahawk games.

So maybe someone else could put us in the EZ a few extra times so that a defense doing as well (even considering we are playing the easy part of our schedule now) gets some support from the offense.

Because as the schedule gets harder, some of those stops aren't going to happen. And if the the offense is not producing to offset the crazy demands we are putting on this defense - some of those Ws will turn into Ls.

It would not solve the whole problem, but you are insane to think that at least changing the guy that is supposed to be responsible for strategic/tactical implementation or execution on offense cannot help us.

It certainly COULD NOT get worse. We are already historically bad offensively.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
DynoHawk":1d8ou1cr said:
No Run Game, no pass protection, no time to throw. Sounds like we have problems with our Cable.
The cable guy always says "crap in crap out".

Hawks46

Reaction score
Look, that isn't going to happen to us every game. The Cardinals have one of the best outside pass rushing tandems in the league. They match up well against our below average OT's. That said:

YOU HAVE TO RUN THE BALL. Running it slows down pass rushers.

We had 2 rushing attempts in the 1st quarter, a failed R/O attempt (yes I know that's not a Bevell play call exactly) and running out of the end zone, which we HAD to do.

The strongest part of our OL is the interior. So we come out and literally look terrified to run the ball. Hey, here's an idea: let's go 5 wide with minimum protection and a gimpy QB and try to sling the ball around. I get that their secondary isn't all that good and has weak spots, but going 5 wide plays right into their strengths against our weaknesses.

The fact was that we seemed unable to change things until halftime. If Bevell was worth half a crap as a coordinator, he'd be able to make changes on the fly.

Jville

Reaction score
brimsalabim":x8criexy said:
DynoHawk":x8criexy said:
The cable guy always says "crap in crap out".

Yea ....... I was anticipating the blame game would shift from Bevell to Cable.

To bad the Cardinal defense doesn't get respect it deserves around here.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ml9eb4g said:
hawker84":1ml9eb4g said:

That's selective criticism.

You can't separate out Bevell when the offense is good, but then put the blame on him when it's bad. Is that fair to you?

The offense is a whole, from Pete on down to the players executing. If you want to argue who's most at fault for yesterday I can discuss that. But IMO it's not reasonable to think being #4 is ALL Russell and zero Bevell.

Last night's poor offensive play had far more to do with injuries, penalties and the putrid O-line, far more than playcalling.

Bit of an exaggeration I'll admit, and and for the record I'm the first to give Bevell credit when he calls a great game. I'm the first to criticize RW when he plays lousy, I call it like I see it. I however have been calling for Bevells head for years now, feel free to check the archives.

Can he call a good game yes, can he make good adjustments, absolutely, last night he did neither or those things. Partly because of the horrible line play, partly because of AZ's defense, penalties, but what kills me is he was not able to make any adjustments until late in the 4th? why did we only run the ball what 5,6 times in the first half when we were getting 5 yards a pop on the little cut back run in the 4th?

And again I ask the question, if he's such a good OC, why is he still here, when our last Two DC's are now head coaches? If it's Pete secretly dictating the offensive flow, then I'm calling him out too.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":tqu68jj4 said:
The adjustments were working just fine, but time after time we'd reel off a big gainer, only to have it called back by holding attributed to Gilliam, Fant or Williams or an offensive pass interference against Kearse (which was bogus). Then how many times did Russ have passes tipped? Too many. At least he was able to get a reception on one of his own passes.

I thought the PI was horrible and so were some of the holding calls. There were several "all the elements of a hold" but the players would immediately let go (some of them seemed more like pushes than grabs). If a player is letting go almost instantly, I really don't think that should be called (especially when I see players tackled at other times with no call).

All of that said, Bevell needs to start gameplanning for the event of his tackles being crap. Whether it is going two tight ends and chipping the DEs or whatever else, he needs to have something in his back pocket for that because the OL is clearly a problem. You can only blame a position group so many times before you should realize it is what it is and you need to plan around it.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I think Bevell has called some very good games this year. I'm not calling for him to be fired. But I do think he called a stinker of a game. You look at how Arizona moved the ball and a lot of it was with patterns that criss crossed the middle of the field, designed to open up areas and get guys open.

Our plays just looked incredibly pedestrian by comparison. And the thing is, Carson Palmer did not have a whole lot of time to throw. We put a lot of pressure on him throughout the whole game.

So I think Bevell should be included with the rest of the Offense for performing very poorly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":16ydrw41 said:
And again I ask the question, if he's such a good OC, why is he still here, when our last Two DC's are now head coaches? If it's Pete secretly dictating the offensive flow, then I'm calling him out too.

It took Mike Zimmer over 20 years as an NFL coach and coordinator to finally land a head coaching gig.

Idk why. Why was everyone all over Josh McDaniel's jock as a coordinator, and he failed miserably as a head coach. Look at Gus Bradley, he's about to be fired.

Some guys interview well, some guys don't. Some guys have the charisma and innovation to be head coaches, and some don't.

That's not a reason to think Bevell's a bad coordinator. Pete Carroll's one of the greatest football coaches of all time, if he thinks Bevell's a good fit here, then that means far more to me than a bunch of dudes on the internet that can't stop banging the same tired drum.