Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":2n6fevz0 said:
Siouxhawk":2n6fevz0 said:
The adjustments were working just fine, but time after time we'd reel off a big gainer, only to have it called back by holding attributed to Gilliam, Fant or Williams or an offensive pass interference against Kearse (which was bogus). Then how many times did Russ have passes tipped? Too many. At least he was able to get a reception on one of his own passes.

I thought the PI was horrible and so were some of the holding calls. There were several "all the elements of a hold" but the players would immediately let go (some of them seemed more like pushes than grabs). If a player is letting go almost instantly, I really don't think that should be called (especially when I see players tackled at other times with no call).

All of that said, Bevell needs to start gameplanning for the event of his tackles being crap. Whether it is going two tight ends and chipping the DEs or whatever else, he needs to have something in his back pocket for that because the OL is clearly a problem. You can only blame a position group so many times before you should realize it is what it is and you need to plan around it.

That's just it. He merely needs to be more cognizant of his team limitations and develop around that and if he's already doing it to the best of his ability then it kinda sucks that this is where we're at. But there's not much compelling evidence that he's finding the right solution for the problem with things like the 5 wide sets against a team with good DBs with personnel packages meant to salt our gameplan.

I wish Bevell wouldn't dig into holes that seem like miraculous recoveries to crawl out of.

hawker84

Reaction score
That's not a reason to think Bevell's a bad coordinator. Pete Carroll's one of the greatest football coaches of all time, if he thinks Bevell's a good fit here, then that means far more to me than a bunch of dudes on the internet that can't stop banging the same tired drum.

Some think that the Bevell supporters are beating that same tired drum as well.....

Msfann

Reaction score
Michael flat out sucks, he's constantly out of position and relys on Russ to tell him where to line up. And when he does run he takes a few steps and dives. He looks like an idiot celebrating a first down when he can barely run two yards at a time.

Why didn't Seattle go after Forsett?

mrt144

Reaction score
Msfann":3b9xlmhp said:
Michael flat out sucks, he's constantly out of position and relys on Russ to tell him where to line up. And when he does run he takes a few steps and dives. He looks like an idiot celebrating a first down when he can barely run two yards at a time.

Why didn't Seattle go after Forsett?

He's old and busted.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This isn't one game.

Bevell has failed to put the ball in the EZ for multiple games this year.

Games like Atlanta, where the defense hands the ball to the O on the inside the 10, or where the offense gets a fortunate PI - mask this. But if the games with the least scoring total are continually Seahawk games that tell you 3 things:

1 - Your opponents are not great

2 - Your offense is terrible.

3 - Your defense must be pretty good.

If you think the Cardinals are the only team where bad calls will hurt us, or where we will have the opposing team putting pressure on us....you are mistaken. I am not even that sure the Cards are that good of a defense, we might just be terrible on offense. They sure didn't look all world vs Buffalo (mighty buffalo?) or the Pats.

You sure it isn't more that the offense is terrible than the Cards are "really good" at defense?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":3tsug0e0 said:
That's not a reason to think Bevell's a bad coordinator. Pete Carroll's one of the greatest football coaches of all time, if he thinks Bevell's a good fit here, then that means far more to me than a bunch of dudes on the internet that can't stop banging the same tired drum.

Some think that the Bevell supporters are beating that same tired drum as well.....

I said he's not infallible, I'm trying to get across that when any unit fails, it's a factor of MANY things...........while you guys wanna just blame one person. The one person who's not even on the field getting holding calls, dropping footballs, playing terribly and missing holes and blocking assignments.

Not sure why that's so hard, but i guess when you have an agenda, it doesn't help to open yourself up to logic and reason.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think it's a legitimate point that the NFL hasn't been interested in Bevell as an HC but has been gobbling up our DCs.

That said, watching our drives where it seemed the alternatives were holding penalties or unimpeded paths to the QB, that wasn't a game where I felt Bevell made much difference (or Russ, or Lynch, had he been in there). Even when Russ could run around, those give-up OL games were games where we managed at most one decent drive, hopefully in the 4th to win the game, and scored 10 pts if we were lucky. This game was a scoche more futile because Russ couldn't even surprise the D with a scramble or R/O or two. But there was nothing to be had behind that line.

At first I was scratching my head about not running the ball, then I understood that the early downs were the only chance to run the ball without getting Russ killed, because 2nd and long and 3rd downs they brought the house, and the house got home every single time.

Then I was scratching my head about lack of quick passes over the middle where we could get the ball out fast and still gain yardage, until I saw their LBs and secondary playing man press and sitting on the shorter routes with zero concern about any longer-developing route. There were indeed times when Russ had 3 or more seconds, and a quick passing approach might work there if Lockett wasn't zero threat and if we were able to threaten the run at all. But we weren't, so it couldn't.

Under those circumstances there are a handful of plays to be made by our offense, and we got those handful of plays driving for our 2 field goals (one of them missed).

Bevell drives me nuts but when the OL is below a certain minimum threshold there aren't any plays out there to be had.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seriously, go 11 Personnel, use the TE to chip then run route, and run the 11 Personnel the vast majority of time to obfuscate the playcalls themselves. Running these 5 wide empty sets against press coverage with an o line that cant stop outside pressure getting home is just frustrating yourself for no reason.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":9y7bam0y said:
Seriously, go 11 Personnel, use the TE to chip then run route, and run the 11 Personnel the vast majority of time to obfuscate the playcalls themselves. Running these 5 wide empty sets against press coverage with an o line that cant stop outside pressure getting home is just frustrating yourself for no reason.

No no no, it's on the players for not executing those empty sets against good to great defenses. On third and long...

mrt144

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1oni6spn said:
mrt144":1oni6spn said:

No no no, it's on the players for not executing those empty sets against good to great defenses. On third and long...

And even if youre in a pure passing down, why make it a battle of pure execution when the team isnt showing theyre up to the task against a formidable defense? The Seahawks absolutely can win those matchups with the empty sets but it requires opponents with 2 or more weak links in the secondary and an average or below d line

Ozzy

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":23ayijaz said:
austinslater25":23ayijaz said:
I find it strange that some people want to blame Bevell for everything but the pro Bevell crowd has gotten almost as weird. The guy doesn't do anything wrong? You weren't baffled by at least a couple of plays? There is a reason he gets zero interest the past couple of years for coaching jobs. He is a mid level OC at best. I think his creativity and overall approach are incredible at times. Situational calls though he seems to really struggle at times. I don't think that is even debatable. Not everyone of course and a few guys are pretty level headed on the topic.

Why do you keep starting your posts defending one side and then pivoting to the other?

Call what you see, people who disapprove of Bevell have tons of evidence based on the games we've seen.

You are free to think Bevell is doing a great job game in and game out, but there just is no evidence to that. Why does the team have peaks and valleys every year, why is the offense constantly trying to "figure things out" why is Russ always saying "We're almost there"?

It's silly. Also getting mad at "Bevell haters" isn't a point to stand on, actually give me something substantial that he is doing well that you want to point to. I'm looking for consistency as well.

Huh? My post was a critique of the pro-Bevell crowd and you saw that as me defending Bevell?

Ozzy

Reaction score
mrt144":3hgn6rl6 said:
OkieHawk":3hgn6rl6 said:
mrt144":3hgn6rl6 said:

And even if youre in a pure passing down, why make it a battle of pure execution when the team isnt showing theyre up to the task against a formidable defense? The Seahawks absolutely can win those matchups with the empty sets but it requires opponents with 2 or more weak links in the secondary and an average or below d line

Agreed or an offensive line that can hold up. Empty sets can be deadly but you have to give Wilson at least a couple of seconds of protection.

mrt144

Reaction score
And another reason the 5 wides empty sets are fruitless against AZ is because their base defense is a Nickle hybrid. If you can get the 5 wide against the wrong package to cover it you can have some gains but that requires tempo and repeated successful plays to keep the suboptimal defense on the field.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c2y7l0a said:
hawker84":3c2y7l0a said:

I said he's not infallible, I'm trying to get across that when any unit fails, it's a factor of MANY things...........while you guys wanna just blame one person. The one person who's not even on the field getting holding calls, dropping footballs, playing terribly and missing holes and blocking assignments.

Not sure why that's so hard, but i guess when you have an agenda, it doesn't help to open yourself up to logic and reason.

My agenda is to have my team win football games, not sure where you're trying to go with that. I don't like Bevell as our OC, period never have, and unless he or Pete changes their offensive philosophy, I never will.

I will never understand why is it so hard for people to accept the fact not everyone shares the same opinions as theirs. And guess what, it's OK., makes the world a much more colorful place.

canfan

Reaction score
I don't think it matters a rip who the OC is. There is not enough talent and/or experience at the tackle position to run the offense. Almost every play was getting disrupted early. Nobody could get a block on the back side of the play so the RB could not wait for a hole to develop. It was stick your head in for 2 yards or get tackled from behind in the backfield. Nobody could even slow down the outside rush on pass plays, so Russell was forced to step up into a clogged interieor with no passing lanes available to him. We missed Luke Willson more than I ever would have imagined this week. He covered up a lot of mistakes by Gilliam in weeks past with chip blocks.

This is not a game plan issue. Its a personnel issue and unless Cable can coach these guys up quickly this will be an issue going forward. Arizona just gave the league a great blueprint on how to attack this team.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2op71rrt said:
hawker84":2op71rrt said:

Dude, stop with the argument that Bevel is the only problem. No one thinks this. You talk about being logical, but it is you who is defending the only thing we can change. Can we get a new OL? No for several reasons. Lack of cap space, and lack of availability of quality guys as FA. So getting a new OL is out. Make Russ, Locket, Rawls heal faster? Please tell me how to accomplish that.

Coaches don't go toward the cap and our owner has deep pockets. We should have the absolute best hired for the benefit of our team and players.

Your constant defense of a glaring and obvious issue to most media pundits and fans, as well as even hearing the players slip up now and then about being frustrated about the offensive gameplans is mindboggling.

Again, to simplify so will will stop with this argument------He is not the only problem, and maybe not even the worst problem, but he IS the only one we can address easily and quickly.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We're tied for dead last in the NFL in scoring (111 points)-nothing to see here though folks. The man in charge of running this exciting offense is clearly not at all contributory to the problem.

Afterall, we were #4 apparently in DVOA last year and according to someone unnamed here "the #1 offense the last 6 weeks." And that's what it's all about folks-not scoring points or winning but skewed, illogical metrics.

All is well with our offense, please carry on, exit stage right and never dare question any of the coaches or their philosophies. Because if you do, then you're clearly not a homer where all is right with the world.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Blaming Bevell is not THE answer, but on a multiple choice question where ' d, all of the above' is the correct answer, Bevell IS choice A. Period.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22tebfzn said:
If you don't like Bevell, then you don't like Pete.

Pete Carroll is a HOF college coach, and going to be a HOF NFL coach, and has forgotten more football knowledge then you have in your entire brains.

If Bevell's so terrible, why is he here? Does he have naked pics of Pete? Did he secretly give Pete one of his kidneys?

Pete Carroll does not hire bad coaches, Period. Bevell is here because he's a good coordinator that works well within the confines of what Pete wants run on offense, ball control pound the rock let Russell make 3-4 explosive plays per game, etc.

This offense was #4 in the NFL last year, and #1 the last six weeks................ with almost the exact same personnel, AND Bevell as it's coordinator. It's having a hard time this year because half it's players are hurt, especially Russell, Lockett and Rawls.

Playcalling fixes all this? Really?
I agree with this post and want to add Russ was holding the ball too long on a few plays last night.It's funny in OT he turns that problem off when in hurry up mode..So there is that