Football Outsiders give the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Largent80":1kj3d3nf said:
Well, we tugged and mugged our way to a championship.

What's in YOUR wallet?

Probably nothing different than what is in yours. Are you going to offer me 1.5% cash back on all of my purchases?

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":zw20nhm0 said:
Sourdough #49":zw20nhm0 said:
Just curious, since Kap is sooo bad, who should we of taken in place of him at Qb in 2011?
You already had a guy who got you within one play of the SB, right?

No we had a guy that had us 2 Kyle Williams fumbles away. Kap had us one play away.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not so sure Kaepenick needs anyone else arguing on his behalf.

This is showed up this afternoon >>> Kaepernick blames criticism on “stereotypes, prejudice” >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/14/kaepernick-blames-criticism-on-stereotypes-prejudice/[/urltargetblank]

Sherminator

Reaction score
Jville":2xuqtcbq said:

This is showed up this afternoon >>> Kaepernick blames criticism on “stereotypes, prejudice” >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/14/kaepernick-blames-criticism-on-stereotypes-prejudice/[/urltargetblank]

Wow, that was probably one of the worst written articles I've ever read.
He kind of has a point...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sherminator":n1z80ix5 said:
Jville":n1z80ix5 said:

The article on PFT was vicious.

And Kaep is wrong. Unless you think Seattle fans don't like Kaep because he is black. :roll:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3s1w5h8b said:
Sourdough #49":3s1w5h8b said:
Just curious, since Kap is sooo bad, who should we of taken in place of him at Qb in 2011?

That reminds me. The 49ers basically flipped Smith for Kaepernick and made a small profit in the process of doing so. Kaep is an unconventional QB with big flaws but have to respect the 49ers FO for how they pulled that off.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":1ve2npg4 said:

Saw that one coming.

He's right BTW.

Not about the race part so much but there are ALOT of peeps who don't like him just because of his tats, his "attitude", and the way he speaks. MANY of them are on this site.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sherminator":3okk8u35 said:
Jville":3okk8u35 said:

Yeah...Florio man....lol...he can't help himself.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3opz65ct said:
And Kaep is wrong. Unless you think Seattle fans don't like Kaep because he is black. :roll:

Actually, he doesn't mention race, he mentions tatoos, way he dresses and talks...

Basically, he thinks people don't give him credit because they see him as a poser douche. Which is... kinda spot on. It shows surprising self-awareness. But then again, I guess you wouldn't be a douche if you refused to change even when equipped with self-awareness.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3j1pdydj said:
Scottemojo":3j1pdydj said:

Actually, he doesn't mention race, he mentions tatoos, way he dresses and talks...

Basically, he thinks people don't give him credit because they see him as a poser douche. Which is... kinda spot on. It shows surprising self-awareness. But then again, I guess you wouldn't be a douche if you refused to change even when equipped with self-awareness.

LOL.

Florio is funny tho...as if the media are the only peeps who have an opinion. He essentially says nobody ever says anything bad about him but he clearly doesn't get out of his little circle.

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":2ktsp05p said:
Scottemojo":2ktsp05p said:
Sourdough #49":2ktsp05p said:

That reminds me. The 49ers basically flipped Smith for Kaepernick and made a small profit in the process of doing so. Kaep is an unconventional QB with big flaws but have to respect the 49ers FO for how they pulled that off.

Don't they currently have a guard they could flip?

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1x22c03r said:
Scottemojo":1x22c03r said:
Sourdough #49":1x22c03r said:

More than a small profit.

If you count the pick they recouped for the Stevie Johnson trade by moving down and back up again for Hyde, Alex Smith got them....

Tank Carradine (2nd round 2013)
Corey Lemonier (3rd round 2013)
Carlos Hyde (2nd round 2014)
Chris Borland (3rd round 2014)
Stevie Johnson (trade for 2015 4th rounder)

Not bad. We'll see if any of them pan out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":24h4uyc4 said:
kearly":24h4uyc4 said:
Scottemojo":24h4uyc4 said:
Sourdough #49":24h4uyc4 said:

Don't they currently have a guard they could flip?

...and they just might if he is asking to get paid like a Pro Bowl Tackle.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ps6oyxm said:
kearly":3ps6oyxm said:
Scottemojo":3ps6oyxm said:
Sourdough #49":3ps6oyxm said:

If you count the pick they recouped for the Stevie Johnson trade by moving down and back up again for Hyde, Alex Smith got them....

So how would you characterize Kaepernick's new contract in terms of trade ability? Did they write it with that in mind?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":1kjjneu4 said:
Marvin49":1kjjneu4 said:
kearly":1kjjneu4 said:
Scottemojo":1kjjneu4 said:

So how would you characterize Kaepernick's new contract in terms of trade ability? Did they write it with that in mind?

LOL.

If you are asking is it easy to get out of without a huge cap hit, then the answer is yes. Guaranteed $$$ are on a year to year basis.

I wouldn't expect them to trade him though. They wouldn't be paying him that much money were that the intent. If he sucks bad in the coming years (which I highly doubt), then he won't be traded because nobody will take on that salary. The 49ers though could release him without a huge cap hit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2gq4xcks said:
chris98251":2gq4xcks said:
It does if you're saying that Kaep isn't making progressions and spreading the ball around and Wilson does more of it. If the QB doesn't trust his receivers to either catch and or knock a pass down that can't be caught he will not throw to them, also if they can't get separation and or position he will not throw to them either. You said we had better receivers, I explained that we worked to develop them into NFL guys, they were available for the taking initially.

My point is not and never has been about Wilson. Someone stated that Kap throws a much higher % of his passes to only a few receivers and I explained its because the rest of the recievers suck. I wasn't saying that his receivers were the only reason he struggled and I NEVER said he was better at getting to secondary receivers than Wilson.

All I said was that his other receivers sucked. Dunno why this is a novel concept.
But but but but, you go deep into last years threads over at your homeboard the denialzone, 95% of the troglodytes over swear up and down that the niners had the deepest team in the NFL at that time and it isn't even close. Not once did I see you step in and say what you say here about the niners lack of depth at that position, not once!

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3iwd04xg said:
RolandDeschain":3iwd04xg said:
You are the one that has been citing lack of separation in a big way, Marvin. Not us. Since the 49ers cut Lockette, presumably every receiver you had was better than he is, and since he's able to make a catch here and there with perfect coverage...

Here, I'll Pro Football Mock Roethlisberger it:

HE'S SAYING THAT PRESUMABLY YOUR RECEIVERS WERE GOOD ENOUGH TO HAVE A FINE PASSING GAME IF YOU'RE CUTTING GUYS THAT WE USED IN THE SUPER BOWL WHO ARE CATCHING BALLS IN TIGHT COVERAGE, THEREFORE YOUR EXCUSE OF RECEIVERS NOT GETTING SEPARATION IS SIMPLY AN OLD AND TIRED DEFENSE OF KAEPERNICK'S INABILITY TO GET STUFF DONE WITH HIS ARM.

:)

I said when Kap dropped back all he saw was guys blanketed in coverage. LOL.

If you think THAT is an unrealistic criticism, I dunno what to tell you.

Tom Brady had one of his worst seasons in the NFL last year from a QB rating perspective. Why? Lack of talent at WR.

Brady is one of the best of all time, but I guess that's different because he doesn't play QB for the 49ers and therefore immune to the "must be able to throw to any receiver at any time even if the guy can't get open" logic. That only applies to QBs who wear red and gold whom you don't like. Nope...in order for HIM to be any good he has to be able to throw passes to my dead grandmother...you know, by "throwing her open".

Hell...why ever draft a WR when you can just pick up hobos off the street because all they have to do is stand there and any QB worth his salt will take care of the D all by himself. Seems an awful waste then to trade a #1 pick for Harvin then...you know...with Wilsons ability to throw to anyone and all.

It's all good, but lets be real about why you think what you think...and it has nothing to do with reality.

and BTW...as for Lockette...what were his season stats again? 5 catches. World beater that one.

World beater, no. World champion....yes.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":3at49b3l said:
Jville":3at49b3l said:
Marvin49":3at49b3l said:
kearly":3at49b3l said:

LOL.

If you are asking is it easy to get out of without a huge cap hit, then the answer is yes. Guaranteed $$$ are on a year to year basis.

I wouldn't expect them to trade him though. They wouldn't be paying him that much money were that the intent. If he sucks bad in the coming years (which I highly doubt), then he won't be traded because nobody will take on that salary. The 49ers though could release him without a huge cap hit.
I understand they succeeded in securing a contract where they could pull the plug at the team's discretion. And, I fully understand the motivation for such a structure in Denver with Manning's fused neck at the time of that contract.

However, I'm unclear as to the real motivation behind the window dressing announcements and explanations for public consumption. Does anyone know the real 49er fear or motivation that mandated a Manning type structure?

Marvin49

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":15tcx73d said:
Marvin49":15tcx73d said:
RolandDeschain":15tcx73d said:
You are the one that has been citing lack of separation in a big way, Marvin. Not us. Since the 49ers cut Lockette, presumably every receiver you had was better than he is, and since he's able to make a catch here and there with perfect coverage...

Here, I'll Pro Football Mock Roethlisberger it:

HE'S SAYING THAT PRESUMABLY YOUR RECEIVERS WERE GOOD ENOUGH TO HAVE A FINE PASSING GAME IF YOU'RE CUTTING GUYS THAT WE USED IN THE SUPER BOWL WHO ARE CATCHING BALLS IN TIGHT COVERAGE, THEREFORE YOUR EXCUSE OF RECEIVERS NOT GETTING SEPARATION IS SIMPLY AN OLD AND TIRED DEFENSE OF KAEPERNICK'S INABILITY TO GET STUFF DONE WITH HIS ARM.

:)

I said when Kap dropped back all he saw was guys blanketed in coverage. LOL.

If you think THAT is an unrealistic criticism, I dunno what to tell you.

Tom Brady had one of his worst seasons in the NFL last year from a QB rating perspective. Why? Lack of talent at WR.

Brady is one of the best of all time, but I guess that's different because he doesn't play QB for the 49ers and therefore immune to the "must be able to throw to any receiver at any time even if the guy can't get open" logic. That only applies to QBs who wear red and gold whom you don't like. Nope...in order for HIM to be any good he has to be able to throw passes to my dead grandmother...you know, by "throwing her open".

Hell...why ever draft a WR when you can just pick up hobos off the street because all they have to do is stand there and any QB worth his salt will take care of the D all by himself. Seems an awful waste then to trade a #1 pick for Harvin then...you know...with Wilsons ability to throw to anyone and all.

It's all good, but lets be real about why you think what you think...and it has nothing to do with reality.

and BTW...as for Lockette...what were his season stats again? 5 catches. World beater that one.

World beater, no. World champion....yes.

Really? That's all you got? Totally out of context comment that has nothing to due with the conversation at hand?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":dpzd5yh9 said:
Jville":dpzd5yh9 said:

Saw that one coming.

He's right BTW.

Not about the race part so much but there are ALOT of peeps who don't like him just because of his tats, his "attitude", and the way he speaks. MANY of them are on this site.

I don't like him because he's an overrated niner douche that only gets his rave reviews and/or ratings for his running ability while playing QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.