Frank Clark to KC for a 1st and a 2nd!!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Schnieder is a guy who can find potential HOF talent in the middle rounds. Now we can actually use a first rounder AND trade down to get multiple 3rd rounders (Russell Wlison). GOD WHAT A GREAT DAY. We could get somebody potentially as good as Clarke in a middle round, this year, and use the first round on another weapon for #3.

SCHNIEDER FINDS HALL OF FAME PLAYERS IN THE THIRD ROUND, YA'LL.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Considering people laughed at the Hawks for picking Clark, even at the end of the 2nd etc. They turned it around to a damn good return. They were not going to pay 21 mil a year to him, no way.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":f27x7o1i said:
Schnieder is a guy who can find potential HOF talent in the middle rounds. Now we can actually use a first rounder AND trade down to get multiple 3rd rounders (Russell Wlison). GOD WHAT A GREAT DAY. We could get somebody potentially as good as Clarke in a middle round, this year, and use the first round on another weapon for #3.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like E.J. Wilson, Kris Durham, and Winston Guy? Those HoF players?

They got good value, but the draft is still a crapshoot. I would think Malik McDowell would have taught us that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":259yiahn said:
Lords of Scythia":259yiahn said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

They got good value, but the draft is still a crapshoot. I would think Malik McDowell would have taught us that.

Not every draft pick's going to work out, especially later round picks.

Even with the duds, I'd guess Pete and John's success rate on 3rd-7th (and undrafted) is higher than just about any other team over their tenure here.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's kind of strange that the Seahawks haven't made any announcement about this. Clark is still on the roster there. The only hint a trade happened is they admit that they hold the 29th pick from KC on their draft tracker.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33kqc8w7 said:
MontanaHawk05":33kqc8w7 said:
Lords of Scythia":33kqc8w7 said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? :shock: :!: :229031_faint: :eek:

My point is, two days ago, Pete and John's recent draft history was a heavy target of fan criticism. I was having to defend them myself. Now, suddenly, everyone's got confidence in them again. I find more than a hint of convenient rationalization in that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26dvees8 said:
Sgt. Largent":26dvees8 said:
MontanaHawk05":26dvees8 said:
Lords of Scythia":26dvees8 said:

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, two days ago, Pete and John's recent draft history was a heavy target of fan criticism. I was having to defend them myself. Now, suddenly, everyone's got confidence in them again. I find more than a hint of convenient rationalization in that.

The criticism from 2013-2016 is valid. But the last two drafts have yielded the two Griffins, Hill, Nazir Jones, David Moore, Chris Carson, Dissly, Tre Flowers and Dickson........all 3rd round - undrafted.

That's 6-7 starters. So if someone's criticizing, they're still puking up the same crap they were saying two years ago. Cause guarantee you this is a bigger hit rate than most teams.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will never know about how the McDowell pick would have worked out as a football player, situation being what it was he was dumb for doing what he did. Can't blame John and Pete for that, unfortunate.

Jville

Reaction score
B8zgs2wminhtyldpu0kd[urltargetblank]https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-acquire-de-frank-clark-via-trade-with-seahawks?sf211611349=1[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1bos9v61 said:
We will never know about how the McDowell pick would have worked out as a football player, situation being what it was he was dumb for doing what he did. Can't blame John and Pete for that, unfortunate.

You can't, I can.

Given that attitude, if you go buy a brand new car for $40K and it was rated the most unreliable car on consumer reports....and the car blows up...it's not your fault?

"not my fault" = nothing to learn or change. Making the same mistakes again and again = insanity.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":e9477rk8 said:
MontanaHawk05":e9477rk8 said:
Sgt. Largent":e9477rk8 said:
MontanaHawk05":e9477rk8 said:

The criticism from 2013-2016 is valid. But the last two drafts have yielded the two Griffins, Hill, Nazir Jones, David Moore, Chris Carson, Dissly, Tre Flowers and Dickson........all 3rd round - undrafted.

That's 6-7 starters. So if someone's criticizing, they're still puking up the same crap they were saying two years ago. Cause guarantee you this is a bigger hit rate than most teams.

Eh, that's 3 undisputed starters - Carson, Flowers, and Dickson. Jury's out on the rest. But they might well bounce back from disappointing 2018's, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":22hktgdu said:
chris98251":22hktgdu said:

You can't, I can.

Given that attitude, if you go buy a brand new car for $40K and it was rated the most unreliable car on consumer reports....and the car blows up...it's not your fault?

"not my fault" = nothing to learn or change. Making the same mistakes again and again = insanity.

I can return the car since it has a warranty, hard to do that with a guy that has a brain injury, really bad analogy. That and yes he had question marks, so did Irvin, so did Clark, if Malik had go into a car accident and been injured and could not play I guess you would have the same position then.

Should not have been driving, should not have been on that road, should have known better then to be in a car at that time of the day etc.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3pd7kz98 said:

Hated the pick. Even hours/days before we picked him. After the first hour of the draft on day one, I was dreading we'd take him. Like watching a car wreck unfold and not being able to do a thing about it.

Then trades happen .... I'm excited we're not taking him. Nearly threw my shoe through the TV screen at the mention of "Maglik Mcdowell".

Never thought he was good even in college. Knew he was a complete lunkhead.

Feel the exact same way about Rashan Gary. Superior athlete who just has no demonstrable skill at all. McDowell 2.0 as a prospect. Pretty sure we'll take him too. Especially now that we have a 2nd first round pick to 'fall back' on.

Fully expect we'll take Gary at 21, wasting the pick on a player who has produced at a 3rd round level (less even than most 3rd round guys expected in this class). Then trade 29 away.

Nightmare scenario is Gary R1/21. Parris Campbell R2/40ish range.

I hope I'm so wrong. I hope some team saves us from ourselves. But have a really bad feeling about tonight.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Not a poor analogy at all.
You have information that says something is a bad choice and chose you to ignore it. That makes it on you when that information you ignored was correct and you got burned.
Apply that to anything and it still holds true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2wcl8pxg said:
chris98251":2wcl8pxg said:

You can't, I can.

What was the difference in the McDowell pick and the Clark or Irvin picks?

All had question marks. That's where the value Pete and John covet comes from, off the charts physical traits, but questionable emotional or immaturity issues to make top 15 prospects fall to the bottom of the first round, or early 2nd.

Some of you guys are amazing hindsight GM's. "We only want the draft picks with questionable pasts or work ethic IF they work out OK!..........no more of the ones that don't work out."

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tngj6nm said:
Seymour":3tngj6nm said:
chris98251":3tngj6nm said:

You can't, I can.

All had question marks. That's where the value Pete and John covet comes from, off the charts physical traits, but questionable emotional or immaturity issues to make top 15 prospects fall to the bottom of the first round, or early 2nd.

Some of you guys are amazing hindsight GM's. "We only want the draft picks with questionable pasts or work ethic IF they work out OK!..........no more of the ones that don't work out."

No difference, except McDowell was scouted as pretty much a brainless risk on top of the other concerns.
ALL were playing Russian roulette with a 3 round revolver.

You want to get burned once every 3 top picks then keep it up. :irishdrinkers:

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":24tbjq0v said:
Seymour":24tbjq0v said:
chris98251":24tbjq0v said:

You can't, I can.

I can return the car since it has a warranty, hard to do that with a guy that has a brain injury, really bad analogy. That and yes he had question marks, so did Irvin, so did Clark, if Malik had go into a car accident and been injured and could not play I guess you would have the same position then.

Should not have been driving, should not have been on that road, should have known better then to be in a car at that time of the day etc.
I agree with everything you’ve said.

The knocks against McDowell coming out the draft were about his work ethic and leadership ability. I don’t understand how that in any way correlates to the accident that he was involved in.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":25v7e7j6 said:
Sgt. Largent":25v7e7j6 said:
Seymour":25v7e7j6 said:
chris98251":25v7e7j6 said:

You can't, I can.

No difference, except McDowell was scouted as pretty much a brainless risk on top of the other concerns.
ALL were playing Russian roulette with a 3 round revolver.

You want to get burned once every 3 top picks then keep it up. :irishdrinkers:

So as long as they work out it's ok, but if you don't take a chance you don't get a Irvin or a Clark, for that matter Sherman, or Kam, or a too short Earl. Or the risk they took with Lynch being such a problem. You have to weigh risk for reward and like all gambles sometimes you lose, Harvin and Graham cost us more then McDowell, 1st rounder and Unger and a lot of money and little or marginal performance.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
knownone":xc3dcck0 said:
chris98251":xc3dcck0 said:
Seymour":xc3dcck0 said:
chris98251":xc3dcck0 said:

You can't, I can.

I agree with everything you’ve said.

The knocks against McDowell coming out the draft were about his work ethic and leadership ability. I don’t understand how that in any way correlates to the accident that he was involved in

Wrong!

“Worst interview we did,” one NFL team told Eric Edholm.

“Awful interview. Awful,” another reportedly said.

I need that light on more often, and he didn’t like it when we asked him about that.”

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-state/malik-mcdowell-terrrible-interviews-combine/4?amp=1