Frustrating Yet Perspective.

Hawks46

Reaction score
it really just came down to the fact that we had too many injuries, and our offensive line never really developed like they wanted to.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Legit thread. Legit perspective.

This team needed to play championship football today to pull out a win and they just couldn't do it. Too many dumb penalties, a defense who couldn't get off the field on third down, and Russ missing big throws.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
This may just be my own rambling reflection but I'll toss it in here.

Football has always been such a forceful power of good in my life. The year the Seahawks won the Owl was the worst year of my life, I struggled with mental illness, loss and didn't really want to be around, but each Sunday was good and was fun. In my bad weeks it became get to Sunday, because then I got to see my team be the best in the world and just get to smile and laugh a little. I still remember watching everyone lift the Lombardi at 4.30am with my tired friends, smiling joking and realising that things will, eventually, be ok. And now they are. Even with the play that must not be named, despite the nature of that loss, despite the aforementioned friends being Patriots fans and dealing with that at 4.30am, I wasn't devastated, because I remembered what they did for me the previous year.

So yeah, in all honesty this season may not have been a fun one for Hawks fans, the losses felt more grim then usual and it was all a bit of a struggle. But, they were still my team, and as you said they will be back next year .

Chin up, chin up indeed.

seedhawk

Reaction score
How is this for perspective.

To get to the bowl we won, it took a last second tipped pass by Sherm intercepted by Smith, or Krap and the 9ers would have moved on.

Next year it took a miracle finish, a crazy Kearse catch, and a totally botched fielding of an onside kick so we could go on and lose in the final minute to the Pats.

Those 2 bowl shots are sandwitched between 3 11-5 or 10-6 years basically. Anyone else here think that perhaps we have unrealistic expectations?

Today we got out played, out schemed, and totally outcoached, so, honestly ask yourself, if we swapped out our entire staff for the Falsons staff, what would the result have been?

12thbrah

Reaction score
seedhawk":2yrbdwnf said:

To get to the bowl we won, it took a last second tipped pass by Sherm intercepted by Smith, or Krap and the 9ers would have moved on.

Next year it took a miracle finish, a crazy Kearse catch, and a totally botched fielding of an onside kick so we could go on and lose in the final minute to the Pats.

Those 2 bowl shots are sandwitched between 3 11-5 or 10-6 years basically. Anyone else here think that perhaps we have unrealistic expectations?

Today we got out played, out schemed, and totally outcoached, so, honestly ask yourself, if we swapped out our entire staff for the Falsons staff, what would the result have been?

Would have been the same result playing in Atlanta for sure. Score didnt indicate it but these teams are evenly matched. No doubt if this game was played at the Clink there would have been a different result. Thats no BS.

seedhawk

Reaction score
12thbrah":c6mbjyxo said:
seedhawk":c6mbjyxo said:

Would have been the same result playing in Atlanta for sure. Score didnt indicate it but these teams are evenly matched. No doubt if this game was played at the Clink there would have been a different result. Thats no BS.

Good Christ on a cracker. This post explains totally why we are basically headed sideways to down. We continue to do the same things, play the same way, and expect better results. Insanity!

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
seedhawk":1bvowk09 said:

We lose 34-27 without all the drama in the second. Team needs work.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
haha, I did same thing. Started to take down Xmas stuff during tha game.

Yes, the OLine was terrible, but remember who started in our SB year?

Okung-Carpenter-Unger-Sweezy-Giacomeni(sp).

Won't be mistaken for the Cowboys OLine. Yet we were one of the top rush teams that year. Yeah, yeah, we had Marshawn...but the future looks good if Rawls/Prosise can stay healthy. And we can all conclude Glow, Britt and Ifedi will improve next year.

this team never had an all star OLine....may never happen....the team was a world champion without one.

I suspect we'll draft an OLinemen, or two, but I see this team staying true by reloading the D. We never replaced Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith, Byron Maxwell...Brandon Mebane was the guy who took on 2 OL...perhaps Reed will continue to improve. Who knows?

But rebuild the D. And the smash mouth, ground and pound run game.

That's our image. That's who we are.

Great OLine? Meh.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just watched Kam Chancellor in a post game interview and it was the most telling interview with any Seahawk player I've watched in years. He was calm and collected, and proceeded to talk about how the defense couldn't get out of their own way. He never named names of course but he kept talking about how they can't lose focus in between plays...So it sounds like they let the Falcons rattle them and get in their heads in between plays.

He went on and talked a lot about each player looking in the mirror to decide if they are going to play for their brothers or not. I am paraphrasing of course but the message was loud and clear.

This defense is nowhere what it was two, three years ago. There's still a lot of talent but personally I think Richards is not as good a DC as Bradley and Quinn. Not even close actually. He's firey...Definitely has heart, but as a DC, sorry...Just think he's not at that level and it showed this season. We started out ranked #1 and I think we finished outside the top 10.

I still think overall this is a top 10 team that will keep seeing the playoffs on a regular basis for the foreseeable future but if we don't address glaring issues with the OL, D, DC and coaching (crap that's almost everything, lol), this team is going to fall back into mediocre land. <<<shudder>>>

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I saw the same interview on Q13. And, I agree that Richard maybe the problem.

IMHO, I don't think Richard has a good game plan. Teams start fast. Our D can't stop them, slow them down. And it maybe the calls, game plan Richard put together.

This team is talented. They are much better then what we're seeing on the field. Players are frustrated, and the opposing team is getting to them.

We're the bullies. We impose our will on you. But...the game plan....it just doesn't look right. It doesn't feel right.

I don't think the defense has confidence in Richard. And the fighting is a by product of their frustrations.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1zo1z3j9 said:
Somewhat alarmed in that there is a true regression in Russell Wilson as a QB....it's not all bad pass protection on every play, he doesn't take and make enough of the simple throws in the offense, over the course of 16 games....he's not consistent enough to elevate the offense, despite pretty decent playmakers littered all over the field.....I've watched QB's pass him by like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr pass him by as far as being efficient and making the basic throws....

We can talk about the injuries, blame Bevell, the Arizona game at home etc....a lot of it is what PC isn't saying in his press conferences.....it's pretty much set in stone that until Russell Wilson makes a true effort to improve as a pocket QB and takes his game to a more efficient level, with making the basic throws on a consistent enough basis to move the chains, we are going to be at a 10-6, 11-5 level, which is good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win another Super Bowl. The defense cannot be asked for another 18-19 game run next year, to hold teams under 20 PPG, game in and game out....this is an offensive league now.

Regarding the offensive line, which played pretty much as expected, I don't anticipate much more improvement, unless you draft more lineman at the expense of shoring up the depth this team needs....need a legitimate 3 down Running back and need to get a legit second corner high in the draft that can cover....Shead is a great player and story, but I'd rather have him at FS vs Terrell.

Congrats to ATL, but honestly, they have no shot vs either team next week or if they somehow made it to Houston, they would get torched....that's a bad defense we only scored 13 points against when the game mattered....and their special teams are horrific.....this is a one-year wonder situation like CArolina last year....they will not score 540 points again next year.

With all due respect, is your argument that Russell Wilson regressed in a year with terrible injuries?

I too was frustrated with some of his missed throws. But that's the thing with having a bad O-line, when you finally have a little time you're expected to almost all of those throws. That's unrealistic

When you have a good O-line, you have the benefit of patience and consistency. You don't have to rush throws, roll to the left, or scramble on every down. Sorry, but in my opinion that's an absurd expectation of Wilson. If he gets an O-line like Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan or Cam Newton last year and still plays this way, this will be a more valid point

Great points generally speaking however

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
seedhawk":36br7k7x said:

BS. Sherman had Crabtree completely covered. Didn't matter where the ball was thrown either. The tip part was irrelevant. Don't try to change history.

seedhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3b9izvp5 said:
seedhawk":3b9izvp5 said:

BS. Sherman had Crabtree completely covered. Didn't matter where the ball was thrown either. The tip part was irrelevant. Don't try to change history.

Well excuse me to hell in a handbasket. I did not revise history. I am simply pointing out that we were never as dominant as many of you seem to believe. The difference between 11-5 and 13-3 is a couple of funny bounces by a pointy end ball. The fact is, we were within less than 2 minutes from missing out on 2 bowl appearances, to teams with worse records than ours.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":g3ikfich said:
Realistically the same team we've seen all year showed up which is why it's not that hard to take.

I figured the Falcons would win and they did, the Seahawks just had no heart in this game and that was unfortunate to see.

And at the same time, why it is hard to take. I can honestly say that this season has been the least entertaining for me as a Seahawks fan. Never have the Seahawks done so little with so much talent and in such of an un-entertaining way.

onepicknick

Reaction score
seedhawk":2k34lxo6 said:
seahawkfreak":2k34lxo6 said:
seedhawk":2k34lxo6 said:

Well excuse me to hell in a handbasket. I did not revise history. I am simply pointing out that we were never as dominant as many of you seem to believe. The difference between 11-5 and 13-3 is a couple of funny bounces by a pointy end ball. The fact is, we were within less than 2 minutes from missing out on 2 bowl appearances, to teams with worse records than ours.

Well seedhawk your right if sherman didn't tip that pass for an interception we might not of had our SB do you recall we were down 7 in houston they deiced to throw on 3 and whatever sherman intercepts pick 7 I feel that play set the tone for the defense for the year.

I would have to summarize we had the best D that has steeped on a football field not even arguably that year we had the toughest division and went 13-3 that in itself was a huge mark heck we won both Rams games This D shutdown the most prolific offense in football the 85 bears can't say that, they beat a number 10 offense Pats. Plus we had Lynch

Scorpion05

Reaction score
seedhawk":22bjtjih said:
seahawkfreak":22bjtjih said:
seedhawk":22bjtjih said:

That is the playoffs every year, whenever there is a close game

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
seedhawk":10o5cks4 said:
seahawkfreak":10o5cks4 said:
seedhawk":10o5cks4 said:

We had the lead against San Fransico so not sure it had anything to with that play, thats just how it happened. Also your argument is a fallacy you can't play one side and not the other, if this didn't happen, then this wouldn't happen for example. The course of a game has tons of crucial plays.

mrt144

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":24dqp6f2 said:
NewJerseyHawk":24dqp6f2 said:
Somewhat alarmed in that there is a true regression in Russell Wilson as a QB....it's not all bad pass protection on every play, he doesn't take and make enough of the simple throws in the offense, over the course of 16 games....he's not consistent enough to elevate the offense, despite pretty decent playmakers littered all over the field.....I've watched QB's pass him by like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr pass him by as far as being efficient and making the basic throws....

We can talk about the injuries, blame Bevell, the Arizona game at home etc....a lot of it is what PC isn't saying in his press conferences.....it's pretty much set in stone that until Russell Wilson makes a true effort to improve as a pocket QB and takes his game to a more efficient level, with making the basic throws on a consistent enough basis to move the chains, we are going to be at a 10-6, 11-5 level, which is good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win another Super Bowl. The defense cannot be asked for another 18-19 game run next year, to hold teams under 20 PPG, game in and game out....this is an offensive league now.

Regarding the offensive line, which played pretty much as expected, I don't anticipate much more improvement, unless you draft more lineman at the expense of shoring up the depth this team needs....need a legitimate 3 down Running back and need to get a legit second corner high in the draft that can cover....Shead is a great player and story, but I'd rather have him at FS vs Terrell.

Congrats to ATL, but honestly, they have no shot vs either team next week or if they somehow made it to Houston, they would get torched....that's a bad defense we only scored 13 points against when the game mattered....and their special teams are horrific.....this is a one-year wonder situation like CArolina last year....they will not score 540 points again next year.

You do realize he's playing behind the worst offensive line in the league right?

I will say he my be gun shy and he may still be injured. He didn't have a terrible year but it was off.

None the less I'm not anywhere near losing faith in him, he still makes baller throws, just misses some here and there.

It was a bad year by RW standards. It was an average year by NFL standards. I think the injuries did linger and affect him both physically and mentally. And that sucks going forward.

mrt144

Reaction score
seedhawk":2fv5qnkz said:
seahawkfreak":2fv5qnkz said:
seedhawk":2fv5qnkz said:

It's not like the niners were a shabby team at the time though. And twice in that SB season they won games they probably had no business winning with Houston and TB - but they did and those were clear indicators that they were a force. Green Bay screwed themselves in the NFCCG game but we were still kind of relentless. We are no longer relentless.

lobohawk

Reaction score
The team's year was plagued by two main negatives. Impactful injuries and inexperience/talent on OL.