Frustrating Yet Perspective.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
It's all RW....we all understood that the defense would not continue at an absurdly high level....teams adjust, our roster is still pretty good on defense, but this was a game that required plays to be made from the QB....

We will look back on this game as another missed opportunity.....ATL is a bad defense, period....they don't have one player that would start on Seattle....that's a fact....there are WR's open all over the field...

If fans rewatch the game, RW is not efficient....there is a checkdown on EVERY single pass play for him....the ball that should come out under 3 seconds, doesn't.....he ignores Reese and Willson underneath on at least 3 plays that defenders ran him sideways, which resulted in a throwaway, instead of taking what the defense gives us....he created the negative plays that are 2nd and 10 or when we had 2nd and 13, instead of making it a manageable 3rd and 8 or 7, he tries to do too much and doesn't stay within the game plan.....this was against a bad defense....not to be mistaken with the 2012 or 2013 49ers....

There are occasions that the defense wins....perhaps we should expect JS to deliver 4 Pro Bowlers on the OLine, an elite WR, playmaking TE and the best defense in the league for him to function....

The RW injuries are an excuse....he actually played better within the offense, when he was injured and was less mobile....he was forced to make the shorter throw, sometimes it was safer play and didn't result in a sack.

The non-play of the game after it was 12-10 (which is a win by the defense to keep it there) and was Beasley's rush to Wilson's right, where Gilliam pushed Beasley down to the ground and Beasley wildly lost containment......should be an easy first down, he steps through and walks forward for at least 5-8 yards.........instead, with no real pressure on him, he threw to Baldwin too early, which is behind the first down line and killed another drive....when the QB doesn't take plays provided to him, it signals to Bevell as a playcaller, that he's not focused and results in him not going back to the QB and going to Rawls on another 3rd and 2 in the 3rd quarter.....the offensive playcalling does not have confidence in Russell Wilson as a player.....let that sink in.....in a must game on 3rd and 2, down by double digits, the playcalling is for Thomas Rawls.....not Wilson, not Wilson making a play to Baldwin, Graham, Richardson, Marcel Reese....we call a play for Rawls....you can argue that Rawls should have blocking, but it's a coaches decision on playcalling....if Russell Wilson was truly a legitimate QB, you would have an empty backfield and 4 WR with Graham and he'd pick apart a bad defense....

I am as big of a fan of anyone, but this is the reality of where this roster is and RW is the main item holding us back.......we either make a major move up in the draft and take Leonard Fournette, relegate Rawls to a secondary role and make Prosise the 3rd down back OR we expect Wilson to improve....I don't trust Wilson at this stage to be as dedictated, he's distracted and he's losing credibility in the locker room....

The overhyped ESPN complaining about the OLine is complete trash and inaccurate....this was a bad line in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016....period....every insider here that watches the play to play, knows there is no difference between Patrick Lewis and Max Unger....there is no difference between Ifedi or James Carpenter....there is no difference between Britt at RT and Gilliam in pass protection.....just because the player like Sweezy got overpaid, doesn't mean he's better.

Get a real running back that can deliver punishment and take on tacklers in Fournette and protect Wilson as a QB....he's not an elite player, period....he's an above average athlete that is not accurate enough as a passer....

Baldwin's comment after the game....."the offense is inconsistent"......translation.....RW is inconsistent.....

IrishNW

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":3o9qjlkx said:
It's all RW....we all understood that the defense would not continue at an absurdly high level....teams adjust, our roster is still pretty good on defense, but this was a game that required plays to be made from the QB....

We will look back on this game as another missed opportunity.....ATL is a bad defense, period....they don't have one player that would start on Seattle....that's a fact....there are WR's open all over the field...

If fans rewatch the game, RW is not efficient....there is a checkdown on EVERY single pass play for him....the ball that should come out under 3 seconds, doesn't.....he ignores Reese and Willson underneath on at least 3 plays that defenders ran him sideways, which resulted in a throwaway, instead of taking what the defense gives us....he created the negative plays that are 2nd and 10 or when we had 2nd and 13, instead of making it a manageable 3rd and 8 or 7, he tries to do too much and doesn't stay within the game plan.....this was against a bad defense....not to be mistaken with the 2012 or 2013 49ers....

There are occasions that the defense wins....perhaps we should expect JS to deliver 4 Pro Bowlers on the OLine, an elite WR, playmaking TE and the best defense in the league for him to function....

The RW injuries are an excuse....he actually played better within the offense, when he was injured and was less mobile....he was forced to make the shorter throw, sometimes it was safer play and didn't result in a sack.

The non-play of the game after it was 12-10 (which is a win by the defense to keep it there) and was Beasley's rush to Wilson's right, where Gilliam pushed Beasley down to the ground and Beasley wildly lost containment......should be an easy first down, he steps through and walks forward for at least 5-8 yards.........instead, with no real pressure on him, he threw to Baldwin too early, which is behind the first down line and killed another drive....when the QB doesn't take plays provided to him, it signals to Bevell as a playcaller, that he's not focused and results in him not going back to the QB and going to Rawls on another 3rd and 2 in the 3rd quarter.....the offensive playcalling does not have confidence in Russell Wilson as a player.....let that sink in.....in a must game on 3rd and 2, down by double digits, the playcalling is for Thomas Rawls.....not Wilson, not Wilson making a play to Baldwin, Graham, Richardson, Marcel Reese....we call a play for Rawls....you can argue that Rawls should have blocking, but it's a coaches decision on playcalling....if Russell Wilson was truly a legitimate QB, you would have an empty backfield and 4 WR with Graham and he'd pick apart a bad defense....

I am as big of a fan of anyone, but this is the reality of where this roster is and RW is the main item holding us back.......we either make a major move up in the draft and take Leonard Fournette, relegate Rawls to a secondary role and make Prosise the 3rd down back OR we expect Wilson to improve....I don't trust Wilson at this stage to be as dedictated, he's distracted and he's losing credibility in the locker room....

The overhyped ESPN complaining about the OLine is complete trash and inaccurate....this was a bad line in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016....period....every insider here that watches the play to play, knows there is no difference between Patrick Lewis and Max Unger....there is no difference between Ifedi or James Carpenter....there is no difference between Britt at RT and Gilliam in pass protection.....just because the player like Sweezy got overpaid, doesn't mean he's better.

Get a real running back that can deliver punishment and take on tacklers in Fournette and protect Wilson as a QB....he's not an elite player, period....he's an above average athlete that is not accurate enough as a passer....

Baldwin's comment after the game....."the offense is inconsistent"......translation.....RW is inconsistent.....

You're probably going to get attacked for roasting the "golden boy" but I somewhat agree with you. I remember Pete wanted to teach Russell this off season how to read defensive and improve his QB play but I guess he spent to much time on the beach with Ciara and they didn't do any of it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
12thbrah":2ydn2ole said:
Legit thread. Legit perspective.

This team needed to play championship football today to pull out a win and they just couldn't do it. Too many dumb penalties, a defense who couldn't get off the field on third down, and Russ missing big throws.
And Jeremy Lane playing like he's a rookie... both in coverage and in tackling.

He hasn't played well all year. I don't think that he'll ever be the same player he was in 2013 and 2014. This year he's a split second to slow to break up a pass... and he's missed too many tackles.

Hawks may have to eat $3.75M in dead money to save $1.5M against next year's cap.

Tippyd

Reaction score
I know yall felt good after the first drive. Our defense have giving up a opening drive touchdown damn near every game. They are young it takes them a minute to settle in.

I don't think you guys have anything to be ashamed of. I'm Falcon fan for life. We don't have a ring. But I've seen your offense struggle all year. But our offense is really good and very difficult to defend. Julio Jones when healthy cannot be stopped. Sanu is so big and strong if it's a jump ball you can't defend him. Then the 2 running backs are very fast and they can catch which is a matchup nightmare for any team. We averaged 33 points per game. But honestly we had a lot of 40+ point games this year as well.

I see you guys complaining about the penalties and safety. Let me say this. If you take away those plays. Which are a part of the game look at what we did - We drop one at the goal line. and we went Victory formation on your 1 yard line at the end of the game.. We could have easily had 50. I don't see you guys scoring that high.

But SeaHawks got a good foundation. I rooted for you guys in both Super Bowls. And why on why you don't run Lynch on the goal line SMH...

hawker84

Reaction score
Aros":1ha3a61k said:
I just watched Kam Chancellor in a post game interview and it was the most telling interview with any Seahawk player I've watched in years. He was calm and collected, and proceeded to talk about how the defense couldn't get out of their own way. He never named names of course but he kept talking about how they can't lose focus in between plays...So it sounds like they let the Falcons rattle them and get in their heads in between plays.

He went on and talked a lot about each player looking in the mirror to decide if they are going to play for their brothers or not. I am paraphrasing of course but the message was loud and clear.

This defense is nowhere what it was two, three years ago. There's still a lot of talent but personally I think Richards is not as good a DC as Bradley and Quinn. Not even close actually. He's firey...Definitely has heart, but as a DC, sorry...Just think he's not at that level and it showed this season. We started out ranked #1 and I think we finished outside the top 10.

I still think overall this is a top 10 team that will keep seeing the playoffs on a regular basis for the foreseeable future but if we don't address glaring issues with the OL, D, DC and coaching (crap that's almost everything, lol), this team is going to fall back into mediocre land. <<<shudder>>>

Couldn't agree more, and it starts at the top. Hate to keep bringing up Pete, but I think his stubbornness is getting in the way of his coaching/leading. He needs to realize we are not the same smash mouth team, those pieces are gone. This team will live or die with RW, which means O line has to be the priority going into next season. Real simple, no protection means a mediocre/inconsistent offensive showings. The talent is there, Pete needs to figure out to put them in a position to succeed. 3rd and longs is not it.

on the defensive side, I think it's clear, Richard is not the answer, new coordinator, and a solid second and nickel CB. I would also like to see a D linemen that can get some inside pressure on the QB. We're close but I think philosophies need to be adjusted. But it's the Pete show, I think we'll see more of the same, until he hangs em up? sign......

hawker84

Reaction score
IrishNW":3v9fv225 said:
NewJerseyHawk":3v9fv225 said:

You're probably going to get attacked for roasting the "golden boy" but I somewhat agree with you. I remember Pete wanted to teach Russell this off season how to read defensive and improve his QB play but I guess he spent to much time on the beach with Ciara and they didn't do any of it.
\

I have no problem being critical of RW when it's warranted, but this loss is not on him, it's on the coaching and Defense. We gave up 30+ points, very hard to win a game when the D is non existent. I agree RW did not play up to the hype this year, and a lot of that was the injuries, but even more of that was the worst O line since he's been here in a string of bad O lines, and a piss poor coaching staff.... I thought RW regressed this year, but given what he's working with, I'd be bailing out at the first sign of pressure too. He took a beating this year, they have to address that O line.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I definitely agree, but I believe you throw the holding call in there, then the safety. I also, think that we MUST score TD's in the red zone. Atlanta was one of the worst red zone defenses in the league this year. We have been plagued with piss poor red zone play all year. We settle for FG's far too often. I don't know what it is, but I watch other teams run very simple plays and almost score at will, but not us. We constantly have to kick a FG and it has cost us several games because of it. This MUST be fixed next year, along with several other issues.

Ozzy

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":tjp0dwo3 said:
Somewhat alarmed in that there is a true regression in Russell Wilson as a QB....it's not all bad pass protection on every play, he doesn't take and make enough of the simple throws in the offense, over the course of 16 games....he's not consistent enough to elevate the offense, despite pretty decent playmakers littered all over the field.....I've watched QB's pass him by like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr pass him by as far as being efficient and making the basic throws....

We can talk about the injuries, blame Bevell, the Arizona game at home etc....a lot of it is what PC isn't saying in his press conferences.....it's pretty much set in stone that until Russell Wilson makes a true effort to improve as a pocket QB and takes his game to a more efficient level, with making the basic throws on a consistent enough basis to move the chains, we are going to be at a 10-6, 11-5 level, which is good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win another Super Bowl. The defense cannot be asked for another 18-19 game run next year, to hold teams under 20 PPG, game in and game out....this is an offensive league now.

Regarding the offensive line, which played pretty much as expected, I don't anticipate much more improvement, unless you draft more lineman at the expense of shoring up the depth this team needs....need a legitimate 3 down Running back and need to get a legit second corner high in the draft that can cover....Shead is a great player and story, but I'd rather have him at FS vs Terrell.

Congrats to ATL, but honestly, they have no shot vs either team next week or if they somehow made it to Houston, they would get torched....that's a bad defense we only scored 13 points against when the game mattered....and their special teams are horrific.....this is a one-year wonder situation like CArolina last year....they will not score 540 points again next year.

There is no regression in Russell Wilson. He played most of the year with a torn knee ligament, high ankle sprain and got a little messed up from a historically bad offensive line. It was literally one of the worst ever. Think about that for a second. A healthy protected Wilson is still one of the top 3 QB's in the league. It's not fair to judge him this year without acknowledging what he was playing with. They will get him better protection and with a whole off season he will be just fine.

Good post Aros.

Boycie

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":22ega1kn said:
NewJerseyHawk":22ega1kn said:
Somewhat alarmed in that there is a true regression in Russell Wilson as a QB....it's not all bad pass protection on every play, he doesn't take and make enough of the simple throws in the offense, over the course of 16 games....he's not consistent enough to elevate the offense, despite pretty decent playmakers littered all over the field.....I've watched QB's pass him by like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr pass him by as far as being efficient and making the basic throws....

We can talk about the injuries, blame Bevell, the Arizona game at home etc....a lot of it is what PC isn't saying in his press conferences.....it's pretty much set in stone that until Russell Wilson makes a true effort to improve as a pocket QB and takes his game to a more efficient level, with making the basic throws on a consistent enough basis to move the chains, we are going to be at a 10-6, 11-5 level, which is good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win another Super Bowl. The defense cannot be asked for another 18-19 game run next year, to hold teams under 20 PPG, game in and game out....this is an offensive league now.

Regarding the offensive line, which played pretty much as expected, I don't anticipate much more improvement, unless you draft more lineman at the expense of shoring up the depth this team needs....need a legitimate 3 down Running back and need to get a legit second corner high in the draft that can cover....Shead is a great player and story, but I'd rather have him at FS vs Terrell.

Congrats to ATL, but honestly, they have no shot vs either team next week or if they somehow made it to Houston, they would get torched....that's a bad defense we only scored 13 points against when the game mattered....and their special teams are horrific.....this is a one-year wonder situation like CArolina last year....they will not score 540 points again next year.

You do realize he's playing behind the worst offensive line in the league right?

I will say he my be gun shy and he may still be injured. He didn't have a terrible year but it was off.

None the less I'm not anywhere near losing faith in him, he still makes baller throws, just misses some here and there.

Its kind of been like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYW0_34s5ac

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seedhawk":ic4qtko3 said:
12thbrah":ic4qtko3 said:
seedhawk":ic4qtko3 said:
How is this for perspective.

To get to the bowl we won, it took a last second tipped pass by Sherm intercepted by Smith, or Krap and the 9ers would have moved on.

Next year it took a miracle finish, a crazy Kearse catch, and a totally botched fielding of an onside kick so we could go on and lose in the final minute to the Pats.

Those 2 bowl shots are sandwitched between 3 11-5 or 10-6 years basically. Anyone else here think that perhaps we have unrealistic expectations?

Today we got out played, out schemed, and totally outcoached, so, honestly ask yourself, if we swapped out our entire staff for the Falsons staff, what would the result have been?

Would have been the same result playing in Atlanta for sure. Score didnt indicate it but these teams are evenly matched. No doubt if this game was played at the Clink there would have been a different result. Thats no BS.

Good Christ on a cracker. This post explains totally why we are basically headed sideways to down. We continue to do the same things, play the same way, and expect better results. Insanity!

"we" are the fans... not the people who make decisions regarding the football team.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1lalc3mn said:

yeah regression I mean the injuries, and oline had nothing to do with it. By the way a regression really his career complt% is 64.7 guess what he completed 64.7 % of his passes, he had the most yards he ever had, 7.73 ypa which was top 10 in the league the only thing down was tds and still over 20 and his Qb, and his int were up a little. Given the injuries and oline he actually played well, and far from a regression.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1ibykp0h said:

Hmm so you say Baldwin says the offense in in consistent translates to Rw is inconsistent, could not be the oline is inconsistent, the play calling is inconsistent. Has to be RW,. Well you agenda is onvious and you are now foed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Aros":2vn15aie said:
I just watched Kam Chancellor in a post game interview and it was the most telling interview with any Seahawk player I've watched in years. He was calm and collected, and proceeded to talk about how the defense couldn't get out of their own way. He never named names of course but he kept talking about how they can't lose focus in between plays...So it sounds like they let the Falcons rattle them and get in their heads in between plays.

He went on and talked a lot about each player looking in the mirror to decide if they are going to play for their brothers or not. I am paraphrasing of course but the message was loud and clear.

This defense is nowhere what it was two, three years ago. There's still a lot of talent but personally I think Richards is not as good a DC as Bradley and Quinn. Not even close actually. He's firey...Definitely has heart, but as a DC, sorry...Just think he's not at that level and it showed this season. We started out ranked #1 and I think we finished outside the top 10.

I still think overall this is a top 10 team that will keep seeing the playoffs on a regular basis for the foreseeable future but if we don't address glaring issues with the OL, D, DC and coaching (crap that's almost everything, lol), this team is going to fall back into mediocre land. <<<shudder>>>

http://sea.247sports.com/ContentGallery ... 50584436/2

he said even more

Kam Chancellor on @Q13FOX: Offense gave us enough points to win the game. Defense got “outside ourselves."

That tells alot

byau

Reaction score
Anthony!":1g2gvibm said:
Aros":1g2gvibm said:

http://sea.247sports.com/ContentGallery ... 50584436/2

he said even more

Kam Chancellor on @Q13FOX: Offense gave us enough points to win the game. Defense got “outside ourselves."

That tells alot

Did you guys catch Kris Richards sideline speech to the D during the game? Think it was the 3rd or 4th quarter. He was fired up but the faces and body language of the D he was talking too: lifeless. The following high-five huddle after such a talk: lifeless. Definitely stark contrast to Sherman's sideline speech during the NFC conference game against the Packers.

I think there's something to that.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Hawker8989":3qzaxd0v said:
I won't rehash what happened. I will say these last two playoffs would be easier to stomach had SB 49 ended differently.

It's true, with back-to-back Super Bowl wins this team would have been legendary, but instead our legacy is "the worst play-call in Super Bowl history." Really will be sad unless we get back.

I would like to add that I have spent years reading fan boards w/o commenting and the one thing that always disturbed me was fans not giving the other team credit after losses. It always seemed that the loss was only due to their poor play.

With that:

Congrats to the Falcons, your team played great, you had a great game plan that you executed well, and you played with the composure of a champion. I hope to see you in the Super Bowl.