Geno Is a Bridge, Nothing More

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno & Dak can't or should I say haven't proven they can do anything with a team that Garner hasn't. I would like to hear your argument that Garner also did this with less play makers around him?
Oh and take your "cowerdism" and stick it in your brown eye!
First off, I want to apologize. I prematurely posted this without finishing my thought and wanted to go back and edit the comment, but got distracted by a work call and never did. I didn't mean to leave it at that as a drive-by insult and am indeed a dick for doing so.

My point would've been that both of the other guys have more prowess on tape and in terms of what they're capable of executing offensively, and that pushing that aside in favor of a functional guy with obvious limitations is Cowherdy.

I don't subscribe to it. Especially with Dak - playoff pants-shitting aside, Minshew would never put up Dak's 2023 in any circumstance. He just doesn't have the arm-power for it. Same with Geno's 2022. He can get a team through a stretch, but he doesn't have the arm to build an offense around.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I, for one, appreciate the reasoned responses to my comments on this thread. We may not agree but we all want the Seahawks to win another Super Bowl.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Geno & Dak can't or should I say haven't proven they can do anything with a team that Garner hasn't. I would like to hear your argument that Garner also did this with less play makers around him?
Oh and take your "cowerdism" and stick it in your brown eye!
Gardner Minshew has performed so far below Geno and Dak the past two years that this argument that he 'doesn't have the playmakers' reads as completely unrelated to anything he did.

Over the past two years, Gardner has a 41.6% success rate, 84.4 passer rating, 57.2 QBR, and 5.9 ANY/A. 'Well, he doesn't have playmakers' isn't a catchall. He's not even particularly close to Geno on any of these numbers, forget about Dak.

On top of that, this 'he had no weapons' thing seems to be based on what, I'm not sure. 2022 he was on the NFC Champion Eagles. This past year on the Colts, both of his top 2 RBs were better than both of our RBs in both success rate and yards per attempt. Per NGS, Kylen Granson was a top half receiver for separation, Michael Pittman and Josh Downs both rate higher than any Seahawks receiver in catch rate and only DK Metcalf rated higher than those 2 guys in Avg. YAC Above Expectation.

I am in no way saying Minshew's team had a better overall receiving corps than we do but there isn't anything to indicate they are bad enough to be the scape goat you think they are.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Right on the fringe. If not elite, he was at the top of the second tier.

He was not on the fringe. He was never going to be good enough to be talked about as elite. He could never impose his will and take games over. What Matt had was an elite RB and OL that made him look better than what he really was. The people that take up for Hass, but say Wilson wasn't good without Lynch need to take a step back and reconsider what they are talking about.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
He was not on the fringe. He was never going to be good enough to be talked about as elite. He could never impose his will and take games over. What Matt had was an elite RB and OL that made him look better than what he really was. The people that take up for Hass, but say Wilson wasn't good without Lynch need to take a step back and reconsider what they are talking about.
It's fair that Matt had a great OL and running game, he absolutely did, but 2005 is definitely one of the best QB seasons in Seahawks history regardless and he was absolutely a top 5 (possibly top 3) QB that year.

Unfortunately, while he did have a couple of other top 10 seasons (2002, 2003, 2007) he never replicated anything on the level of 2005 and it's a damn shame that offense (possibly the best Seahawks offense ever) didn't get the Super Bowl they deserved.

xray

Reaction score
Anybody ever see that movie " Bridge on the River Kwai " ? ;)

bigcc

Reaction score
Hasselbeck did say "We want the ball, and we're going to score". That sounds like an elite QB to me ;)
People forget he was absolutely balling that game

He threw the ball correctly as well, Alex Bannisters dumbass ran a fade instead of a comeback on an option route

I have no clue why he was even in the game on offense in pucking overtime in the playoffs

EDIT: hass's stats also don't fully reflect his play. We frequently lead the league in drops to an embarrassing extent, and those drops bounced right into defenders hands every few games.... Not exaggerating

DirectMessage

Reaction score
People forget he was absolutely balling that game

He threw the ball correctly as well, Alex Bannisters dumbass ran a fade instead of a comeback on an option route

I have no clue why he was even in the game on offense in pucking overtime in the playoffs

EDIT: hass's stats also don't fully reflect his play. We frequently lead the league in drops to an embarrassing extent, and those drops bounced right into defenders hands every few games.... Not exaggerating
Hass played in the era of different rules. He probably would have huge numbers if he played today. QB hits, jamming or touching receivers today, plus all the other changes they made since he retired makes the league more offensive oriented.

bigcc

Reaction score
Hass played in the era of different rules. He probably would have huge numbers if he played today. QB hits, jamming or touching receivers today, plus all the other changes they made since he retired makes the league more offensive oriented.
The rules didn't make the ball drop off receiver hands 😂

But back on point here, I know what you're saying, but I don't think Hass's skillset would have the same boost as a lot of QB's from that era.

Don't twist that's not a slight, I still have a Hasselbeck jersey, he's probably the most underrated player in seahawks history

Doesn't take much to guess who I think is one of, if not the most overrated, given that statement

DirectMessage

Reaction score
😂. I can still see Hass making some bone headed mistake and the Walrus screaming at him on the sidelines.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He provides stability by removing the variable of having a qb who is less capable at running the plays and the offense as it was designed.

With Geno, troubleshooting what's working and what isn't is more straightforward because he will execute the offense as scripted. Grubb, won't have to lighten the load or install gameday plans with a limited number of plays or concepts because his QB is green. Regardless of how talented a rookie is, they are virtually always running a truncated version of the playbook. Either in terms of the complexity of plays, being limited in audibling, line calls, or reducing reads to one side of the field. A rook will also more than likely be challenged in grasping terminology in making the leap from the college game to the pros. Geno won't have that limitation.

With Peetz orchestrating play design and essentially porting Grubbs system into 'NFL language' and format, the offense will be more effective, faster than if a rookie or FA came in. Unless that FA was familiar with the Rams system, as Geno and Peetz are - its the framework upon which a lot of Grubbs concepts will be hung - at the very least in terms of terminology.
What if the rookie was Penix?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Remind me, which super bowl did Marino win?
I thought the point of all this was to actually win sb's? Apparently I'm wrong. Here's a hypothetical question. If you could snap your fingers and have Marino in his prime, with the stipulation you will not win any sb's, would you do it?

bigcc

Reaction score
What if the rookie was Penix?
Considering that he's a VERY possible pick with our 1st, a lot of people seem to be downplaying two things.

1. Same OC/OL coach (knows penix movement tendencies to adjust blocking scheme for ol coach)

2. This is frequently viewed as a negative, but with contract structures it's a positive..... Penix will be 24 by the start of the season. This means he's near his prime, especially for the meat of his contract, and then will get probably one more large one, and then entering geno territory

Compare to Anthony Richardson, who was twenty years old on draft day. He'll be 25 and not even in his prime by the time his rookie contract is over.

Those rookie contract years are a gold mine, and hitting on a guy literally in his prime from 24-29 for nickels and dimes would be beautiful