Geno Smith - Goalposts Can't Move Any Longer

themunn

Reaction score
Well it took about 6 years before people finally realised Wilson was a good QB (he can't win if defense doesn't turn up, he can't see over the middle, he can't win without a running game, he can't pass from the pocket)

And around the time people finally realised he could do all that, he regressed and people then had the blinders on to the fact that he couldn't do it any longer.

Moral of the story is, when they see that Geno is good is the time to get rid of him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think most people have said he is playing way better than they expected? I have said it multiple times. I did not expect him to be anywhere near this good and I couldn't be happier to be wrong. I'm still cautiously moving forward because we've seen fast starts from guys around the league before they fall off but I'm starting to think Geno will continue to prove us wrong and I hope he does. To be fair it was reasonable to think a guy who hasn't won a starting job in 10 years on 4 different teams who didn't look great last year probably wasn't a top 5 QB right?

W

Welshers

Yeah going into the season i said he was terrible and not the guy. I was wrong. Happy to eat crow. Genos the man!

hoxrox

Reaction score
Geno didn't have a good supporting cast with the Jets, like he does now. Has he ever had receivers like DK and Lockett? A strong TE group? A strong running game? A coaching staff who can maximize his abilities?

His processing was a little bit slow last game, but he handled the pressure well. He didn't fold after being sacked 5 times. That's a good sign that his level of play is sustainable. I like that he's using his legs to pick up 1st downs too.

Now it's up to Waldron to call some good plays and put Geno in the best position to succeed. Running into stacked boxes against JJ Watt, deep pass to Lockett on the same play for the 3rd time? Need some more variety here. Wildcat to Walker was cool, but how about some zone stretch or horizontal sweeps? If teams are bracketing DK and Lockett, let's get Goodwin and Eskridge involved more. Heavy TE sets, let's see more of it. Red zone? Need more options from Waldron here. Seeing the same plays repeated from previous games.

toffee

Reaction score
Geno is either having a Cinderella moment or he is the toughest most dedicated SOB in QB world. The minute Wilson was traded, I read and watched up on Geno, first off, Geno has all the athleticism and measurables for the making of an elite QB (see below for yourself), but he didn't display much in football IQ and poise under pressure on his past films.

In the last 6 games, in addition to those 3 1/2 games from last season, this is my conclusion:
  1. He has higher football IQ than our former franchise QB, by his pocket presence and on field adjustments.
  2. He has clean foot work, no wasted steps. As Bill Walsh wrote in his books, FOOTWORK in essential to QB success.
  3. He has NFL QB caliber arm strength, 50 air yards are doable and accurate. As Joe Montana insisted, you don't need more than that.
  4. He still have enough athleticism to demand defense' attention on possible runs, may not have that 4.5 speed anymore, but still sub 5 sec.
  5. He has shown more poise than expected, can he pull a Montana when the game is on the line? We shall see, but he didn't just falter when things gets rough.
  6. He seems to have the support of his teammates. Will success change him into a different person? We shall see.
  7. Years holding a clipboard humbled him, making him more coachable.
  8. Mental TOUGHNESS, for years and years, keeping body and mind dedicated to football while holding a clipboard needs dedication. HE WAS READY FOR THE RAM'S GAME, DROVE THE TEAM 98 YARDS FOR TD, stone cold and years of rust.
Will he enjoy years of success? I sure hope so and cheer him on. In case this is his Cinderella moment, I am loving it and insist on enjoying EVERY SECOND of it, without any But This, But That. Just go Geno.

QB Combine

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He’s mechanically sound with an above average arm and an underrated deep ball but more importantly he recognizes blitzes and makes proper adjustments and often audibles a run. But I think his best quality is that he takes care of the football. And when he gets clicking it’s a beautiful thing to witness. I mean the way he’s seeing the field and throwing dimes looks easy to him.

Torc

Reaction score
In the first three games, the Seahawks had a grand total of 3 points in the second half. Not per game, TOTAL for the three games. The offense was shut out entirely in one of those games. The teams that he scored against in the most recent three games are currently 1-4, 2-4 and 2-4. My goal posts for the offense haven't moved - I want to see points in all four quarters. The offense failed to do that in the first three games, and has scored well (twice VERY well) in the second half of the last three games. Awesome, I hope it continues. That's not goalpost movement.

We have ten years of Geno's career to look at prior to him starting this year, and those first three games supported the conclusion that most of us had reached. Give people a break. I'm cheering for Geno, I have high hopes for him that I didn't have at the beginning of the year. I give him a ton of credit for confidence in himself, and in not getting frustrated and failing when he was getting hit a lot against Arizona. The Arizona game in particular impressed me, differently than the scoring clinic he put on against Detroit. The shift to a quick-throw offense because of all the pressure he was taking on dropbacks was a credit to both Geno and Waldron. I'm even to the point of hoping that next years two first round picks yield us a couple of defensive studs instead of assuming we'll take the next (hopeful) franchise QB.

It's still early in the season. There hasn't been time to move goalposts because there hasn't been time to really evaluate Geno's play over the long haul.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Great post. And even if you DID move them, that's your own opinion, which is valid.

We get it Soul.. we get it. People are entitled to their opinion. Nobody is discrediting anyone opinions. But people also have the right to challenge those opinions/thoughts/beliefs with their own to form a civil argument/conversation/debate to as of WHY someone else thinks (in their opinion) the other persons opinion is wrong/misleading/etc etc. Where it goes south is those with the opinion get defensive/offended and start stating it as fact and refuse to budge. Its not conducive after that and becomes a shit show.

and the underlined, becomes any issue on the forums .. and internet quickly. But also being its text, its easy to misinterpret what someone saying and think its rude/insulting/annoying etc etc because there is no voice, no sound to hear the voice inflections.

me? I say stupid shit, don't mean a lot of it, and understand its a forum and we're all passionate about the same team. When we close our pages/tabs its onwards with life still.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The "I want points in all 4 quarters" standard is kind of silly. Of course we do. But that's not realistic, especially when it's a team game, and something like a holding call not committed by the QB can negate points. Someone pointed out that Josh Allen only scored 3 points in the first half on Sunday.

Points scored in any given quarter is kind of a lame way to evaluate QB performance.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What about ZERO points against the Niners, the entire game? Or is Geno above any criticism at all? Moon, Hass, the last guy, all of them faced plenty of criticism. And much of the time, it was warranted. That's part of being an NFL QB. For some reason, Geno seems to be immune to it, which makes no sense at all. Why did BETTER QB's like Moon, Hass and the previous guy get blasted over and over, yet if you say anything about Geno, people get their panties in a bunch? Hmmmm
Look, the guy is playing VERY well. But he is not above criticism. Period. And again, I am HAPPY with what he done on the field this year.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
I don't expect points in all four quarters every game. I'm looking at trends, not so much at specific games. There was a point where the Seahawks under the previous QB were not scoring in the first quarter - they even set a record for games in a row without scoring on the first drive. That's a trend of futility in an important part of the game. This year, over the first three games, the Seahawks were not scoring in the second half. At all. That was super concerning.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I mean the 9ers defense is ranked 1 in yards allowed and ranked 2 in points allowed. The entire offense wasn't good that day. Waldron calling that DJ Dallas pass play ruined any chance at points.

That said, I expect the entire offense to have a better showing against the 9ers in their next match up.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What about ZERO points against the Niners, the entire game? Or is Geno above any criticism at all? Moon, Hass, the last guy, all of them faced plenty of criticism. And much of the time, it was warranted. That's part of being an NFL QB. For some reason, Geno seems to be immune to it, which makes no sense at all. Why did BETTER QB's like Moon, Hass and the previous guy get blasted over and over, yet if you say anything about Geno, people get their panties in a bunch? Hmmmm
Look, the guy is playing VERY well. But he is not above criticism. Period. And again, I am HAPPY with what he done on the field this year.

He's not immune to criticism. The thing is, criticism of his usually comes with an overall statement of his ability, like "Geno gonna Geno" or people coming up with petulant nicknames like geNO for him.

The situations are different, which is why they're treated differently.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, he's clearly not "just a guy" at this point. He's an above average starting QB, which is a very good thing. But, he is the QB, if the team doesn't score one damn point, he is a PART of WHY they didn't score. I'm wondering if I'll ever see you say ONE BAD THING about Geno. I get it, you love the guy, and he's playing his a** off. But this Geno is God crusade sometimes just gets old that's all. And for the record, I have totally changed my view of the guy overall. I'm glad he's the QB this year.
And to be honest, it's not that important. You and I have went thru this over and over again. And that's fine. Geno has earned this job and to keep it all year. In fact, he is exceeding expectations by a long way.

Last edited:

samwize77

Reaction score
Lots of folks in here were saying he was terrible. He played well, then y'all said ya wanted to see him play well against good defenses. He played well against good defenses. Then people said they wanted to see him drive the team down the field and win a game, he just did that in this game against Arizona. Then y'all complained that Kyler was terrible and that is why Seattle won. I am really sick and tired of the goalposts moving over and over as to what will finally bring your soft brains into understanding that Geno Smith is playing extremely well.

Here is what he said:

So, I think it is high time you all come in for your serving of crow or just delete your accounts. We are tied for first place in the division BECAUSE of Geno Smith. Show the man the respect he deserves.

I was also one of the guys that did not think Geno was the answer. And I am also one of the guys that have since eaten crow.
I am also of the school that one can not tell another how to be a fan. But in this case, I'll just say this. If Geno falls off a cliff and his numbers bottom out, are YOU going to delete YOUR account?

chris98251

Reaction score
It's Geno's fault if he is over or underthrowing, missing reads, fumbles snaps, throws picks due to not seeing the defender, not tips and ricochets off receivers. It's not his fault his he has no time to throw, or line doesn't block, RB's fumble, can't hit the right hole, when O line hold, false start and do other stuff, or if a WR's fumbles, runs wrong route, drops balls that are catchable etc. Nor is it his fault if the OC or Pete dictate a bad game plan and send in lousy play calls, it's not his fault if players get injured, or if the defense gives up a ton a points and we become one dimensional against a Defense that licks their chops at pass rushing QB's.