Geno Smith - Goalposts Can't Move Any Longer

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I mean, a lot of them have just kinda stopped posting as much. Chukar, Titus, Jamescasey, the guy who called Geno "old dumb face," etc
Where is Titus? Did he take off after his plan failed? The one where he said he was getting some of us to praise Geno so he could rub it in our faces when Geno got benched after week 4.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He's been in the league for almost 10 years and had two mediocre seasons after he was drafted by the Jets in 2013. Since then he's done next to nothing in the league until this season. Maybe Geno realized, now towards the end of his unremarkable career, that this was his last chance to do something in this league.
In fairness to Geno, though, how many legitimate chances has he had since the Jets to actually compete for the starting job anywhere? He certainly didn't have one here until this year.

BASF

Reaction score
In fairness to Geno, though, how many legitimate chances has he had since the Jets to actually compete for the starting job anywhere? He certainly didn't have one here until this year.
It kills me how many people trot out the we have his ten year career as their fall back. He has sat behind three hall of famers for the past six years (five if you don't believe Eli will be a veteran's committee choice). I am willing to bet a lot of money that they never saw Geno throw a pass for the Giants or Chargers even in preseason.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
He's WAAAAY better than I thought he would be, He went from back up to an actual starter. But lets not crown the guy yet. The rest of the season will really tell us, the only garbage teams left are the Tards and the Panthers. The giants and jets look like tough outs now.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Never said I wanted to. What I said was, quit moving the goal posts.
But moving the goal posts is automatically what happens when evaluating if someone is really good at what they do. Can he throw the long ball, can he win a game, can he win a big game, can he win a playoff game, can he win a Superbowl, etc.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
It kills me how many people trot out the we have his ten year career as their fall back. He has sat behind three hall of famers for the past six years (five if you don't believe Eli will be a veteran's committee choice). I am willing to bet a lot of money that they never saw Geno throw a pass for the Giants or Chargers even in preseason.
Most of them never saw him play much with the Jets, either. This offseason you'd have thought every third poster on .NET followed the Jets religiously. Unless you live in New York/Jersey, you don't follow the damn Jets. (And I live in New York and still don't follow the Jets.)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Most of them never saw him play much with the Jets, either. This offseason you'd have thought every third poster on .NET followed the Jets religiously. Unless you live in New York/Jersey, you don't follow the damn Jets. (And I live in New York and still don't follow the Jets.)
If you saw his play for the Jets, he was not the same guy he is today. He's made a lot of progress over his years in the NFL. The guy was a hot mess on the Jets. His mastery at the LOS and how he's handling pressure is something you didn't see from Geno back then.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
If you saw his play for the Jets, he was not the same guy he is today. He's made a lot of progress over his years in the NFL. The guy was a hot mess on the Jets. His mastery at the LOS and how he's handling pressure is something you didn't see from Geno back then.
I believe it because there is no way this Geno would end up sitting on the bench for so long. He's handling the LOS in a way that is Brady-esque and I do not say that lightly. I'm not doubting he wasn't doing it in his prior seasons because he's doing it at a level that most QBs don't. (Hopefully he is able to keep it up.)

I just find it interesting how many people here acted like they were following the career of a QB for a terrible team on the other side of the country that had minimal national media coverage (unless it involved their QB fumbling with his butt) and were all of a sudden experts at what he could or could not do while completely ignoring what he actually WAS doing for this actual team, with these actual receivers, and this actual coaching staff.

Geno was fine to quite good in his playing time last year. Yet we were assured he was a walking, talking, dumpster fire that was going to single handedly bury this team based on gameplay that the vast majority of those talking about him never saw. It was comical.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Mastery for any QB in their first two years doesn't happen. Early success for any QB can be attributed to the coaching and the scheme created for an inexperienced player. Any lack of success can be credited to the coaching and system too - assuming the QB can follow the script and has the physical ability to do what is asked.

At this point it's pretty clear Geno has the physical tools and always did to perform QB in the NFL - and now we know he had the ability to learn how to play QB in an effective system that he has been asked to perform in.

How this plays out as defenses try to counter Geno's success thus far will be the ongoing interest of the season.

Having an effective system to work within and the experience to understand how to make good choices is what we're seeing now. His problem with the Jets had much less to do with Geno than it had to do with the plan the coaches had for him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I believe it because there is no way this Geno would end up sitting on the bench for so long. He's handling the LOS in a way that is Brady-esque and I do not say that lightly. I'm not doubting he wasn't doing it in his prior seasons because he's doing it at a level that most QBs don't. (Hopefully he is able to keep it up.)

I just find it interesting how many people here acted like they were following the career of a QB for a terrible team on the other side of the country that had minimal national media coverage (unless it involved their QB fumbling with his butt) and were all of a sudden experts at what he could or could not do while completely ignoring what he actually WAS doing for this actual team, with these actual receivers, and this actual coaching staff.

Geno was fine to quite good in his playing time last year. Yet we were assured he was a walking, talking, dumpster fire that was going to single handedly bury this team based on gameplay that the vast majority of those talking about him never saw. It was comical.
He was unremarkable. He did basic stuff well and he was running out of a simple, dumbed down offense. He had a few moments, but he really looked like a Colt McCoy sort of figure -- a good backup who won't mess anything up.

He proved that he's much more than that. Some of the throws he has been making, like that toss to DK are difficult throws for even the most elite to make. That is the moment I, myself was like "okay this guy is legit".

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Mastery for any QB in their first two years doesn't happen. Early success for any QB can be attributed to the coaching and the scheme created for an inexperienced player. Any lack of success can be credited to the coaching and system too - assuming the QB can follow the script and has the physical ability to do what is asked.

At this point it's pretty clear Geno has the physical tools and always did to perform QB in the NFL - and now we know he had the ability to learn how to play QB in an effective system that he has been asked to perform in.

How this plays out as defenses try to counter Geno's success thus far will be the ongoing interest of the season.

Having an effective system to work within and the experience to understand how to make good choices is what we're seeing now. His problem with the Jets had much less to do with Geno than it had to do with the plan the coaches had for him.
As I said earlier, according to a lot of what I pulled up -- he just was immature. He didn't take his job seriously and he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way during the drafting process. He wasn't ready for the big time, he needed to grow as a person before he could have success.

Torc

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a lifetime Jets fan. And she sent me messages to mock both when the Seahawks signed him as a backup and when he played last year.

But really, it's not all that hard to take a look at the games he played with the Jets and even watch video of large portions of those games on Youtube, and to look at articles about him at the time. I mean, how much depth do you need to look at to know that a teammate broke his jaw in a locker room fight? Even Russ never got punched by a teammate (although maybe he is headed for that now. 🤪 )

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I was fully onboard the Geno train after multiple plates of crow. Dude is playing his ass off and making the most of his opportunity to start. He's also grossly outperforming Russell Wilson.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a lifetime Jets fan. And she sent me messages to mock both when the Seahawks signed him as a backup and when he played last year.

But really, it's not all that hard to take a look at the games he played with the Jets and even watch video of large portions of those games on Youtube, and to look at articles about him at the time. I mean, how much depth do you need to look at to know that a teammate broke his jaw in a locker room fight? Even Russ never got punched by a teammate (although maybe he is headed for that now. 🤪 )
Is it hard to watch those games? No. Do I believe most of the people on these boards actually did that? Also no.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score

Some of the looks he’s getting from his teammates! You know they’re talking about how many bathrooms he has in his house and that contract.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think most of us are happy he’s doing well. However some folks are taking a patient evaluation of him as a QB. We’ve probably been watching football a little longer than most.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I think most of us are happy he’s doing well. However some folks are taking a patient evaluation of him as a QB. We’ve probably been watching football a little longer than most.

What would you describe as the take of an impatient, inexperienced fan?

What are those fans saying about Geno?

Rainger

Reaction score
I disagree totaly with your smug comment.

I started watching in 1960 with the start of the AFL on ABC.

Have you been watching longer than me? And I played.

I am not reserving judgement on Genos play. It has been outstanding.

If you refuse to belive your eyes because you want to hang on to the negative narrative then you are the weakest link.

Prior to the season I told my wife "the worst thing Pete could do was go with that piece of shit Geno, he is the worst qb in the NFL"

Pete was right I was wrong and all you fence sitters not giving Geno credit and hedging your bets make me puke.

Fck man give the guy his dues he has earned it.

Ps: since I am probably older than you and have had more time evaluating humans, I will reserve judgement on you as a person until you prove yourself longer.

Last edited: