Geno Smith...

toffee

Reaction score
I think Largent and Rice would both be catching balls that hit them right in the hands.

Not disputing your point about slow processing, though.
Jerry Rice always joked that he made Joe Montana and Steve Young, although both also rebutted that Rice had butter fingers, Jerry was close with his QBs as it should be. One should have no doubt that a great WR can make a mediocre QB looked great, they will gain separations and ran precise routes, ie they will be where they supposed to be.

A so so WR may just be a second or so late in getting to where he supposed to be, to our eyes, that QB overthrow the WR.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm confused.....Are you saying Geno is good or are you just saying he should start over fault that Cross had five penalties, that special teams was terrible, that guys dropped passes, or that the D tackled poorly.
Geno would have a pretty good first half "IF" DK and Lockett were playing, besides, in a real game, we probably would have run the ball a bit more. Preseasons are to test some schemes, plays and evaluate players.

One thing for sure, our WR3-6 aren't talented enough to step in case our WR1 and WR2 needed time off.

Geno displayed one thing that I don't like, he lack the ability to compartmentalize, if things doesn't go his way, he likely will let that get to him. He need a few good snaps to get going, or he won't go.
We’d better hope Goodwin is good and gets healthy because our third WR options aren’t looking too hot right now.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We’d better hope Goodwin is good and gets healthy because our third WR options aren’t looking too hot right now.
Yup, when the Seattle brain trust drafts a THIRD receiver with their first pick and the guy, SO FAR, is a bust you know you have issues.

toffee

Reaction score
Our WR3,4,5 are looking bad, but there is this Anthony Brown and OBJ still available.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And your patronizing...get off his dick already. Ive already explained everything to you. Somehow still defending the guy. He has had his opportunities. People dont need to argue with you just because you cant understand.
You've explained your viewpoint with nothing but half-baked half-truths and completely ignoring any of the actual examples provided to you. You don't want to talk ball, you want to argue and be angry.

You take everything outrageously personally. Be an adult and go elsewhere if you're so angry about it. Didn't you get banned for freaking out the first time?

Grow up.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's strange how people defend every Geno Smith performance but point out every Drew Lock flaw.
1. I don't know if you've noticed, but the "Geno sucks worse than anyone and I literally cannot talk about any other alternative" contingent isn't exactly the minority here. Very, very few people do what you're describing in this post.

2. If this is referencing me, that's also kinda dumb, as I don't do that and I don't think anyone else defending Geno does either.

Like this is an imaginary persecution that you're talking about

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He played on three other teams before coming to Seattle.

Like I pointed out.....Steve Young played behind Joe Montana.
Didn't you understand what I said about his playing in totally different SYSTEMS, and how they don't really apply to the here & now?
Young played the SAME Coaching & SYSTEM that Montana used, are you expecting that Geno should be able to pick up where a scrambling Russell Wilson left off?
Wilson played Russell Wilson's "System", it wasn't a Bevell "System", a Schottenheimer "System", and it sure as hell wasn't a Waldron "System".
Passing final judgment on a guy BEFORE he gets a chance to meld his play with >THIS TEAM< is really goofy.
Geno Smith is NOT LIKELY going to be the Seahawks 'End-All-Be-All' Quarterback of the future, but I think we need to take a wait and see how he & guys like DK, Lockett & a few others mesh-up BEFORE calling him a bust, because honestly? WE are not the Experts.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
1. I don't know if you've noticed, but the "Geno sucks worse than anyone and I literally cannot talk about any other alternative" contingent isn't exactly the minority here. Very, very few people do what you're describing in this post.

2. If this is referencing me, that's also kinda dumb, as I don't do that and I don't think anyone else defending Geno does either.

Like this is an imaginary persecution that you're talking about
1. I've heard "roughing"(of Geno) was even more intense on other media(reddit or twitter?)
2. my 1st guess was the reference was to Orlovsky and Riddick, who ended the show with a Geno infomercial(showing Geno's best single Week 1 play, and then Drew's single worst)
3. trusting any words or comments on any commercial media have become so tough for me that I watch the local news headlines, from one channel, and then close the browser tab.
I'd like to hit a 'dislike' button, but I can't find it...on that TV channel.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Neither Lock nor Geno will probably be he on this team next year. Haven't had a chance to catch yesterday's game but based on some of the more rational comments it seems like we probably have two equally skilled QBs in Lock and Geno and a putrid WR core outside of 1/2. How did Melton look with Geno?

Look forward to seeing Walker maybe week 1, clearly going to have to focus on TOP.

flv2

Reaction score
Swain dropped a catch-able pass. Smith stared down the receiver. The LB read the QB's eyes and moved under the route. Smith threw it over him but that made it a more difficult catch for Swain.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Neither Lock nor Geno will probably be he on this team next year. Haven't had a chance to catch yesterday's game but based on some of the more rational comments it seems like we probably have two equally skilled QBs in Lock and Geno and a putrid WR core outside of 1/2. How did Melton look with Geno?

Look forward to seeing Walker maybe week 1, clearly going to have to focus on TOP.
~1 minute before halftime, Melton ran ~10 yards, then square toward sideline, ball sailed high, uncaught, looked well defended, and maybe risky.
I think Melton caught 4 passes from Eason.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Swain
It still looks to me as if the throw to Swain could have been aimed slightly more at Swain's front shoulder, or even forward of his front shoulder...and not so obviously high over Swain's head.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
I, too, can rationalize "it's not Geno's fault" for all the reasons that Maelstrom and others pointed out. The drops. The penalties, the failure to escape the sack, the bad snaps, the mishandled snaps.

Where I'm at, is along the lines of "Geno is just a guy who attracts bad luck, seemingly through no fault of his own. When he keeps having "bad luck", trust what you see, that in some collection of small ways Geno is causing his own 'bad luck'".

How does Geno cause his own bad luck? I'm sure it's a dozen small things. Maybe too slow to read and process the D, as some said. Maybe small quirks in his cadence leads to the false starts. Maybe it's leadership issues. Aging, slowing, less nimble legs where he gets sacked instead of escaping and throwing, whatever, Geno does NOT have the "it"factor about him. With tons of rookies and UDFAs in the huddle with him, I'm sure that made it even tougher for Geno.

And no, Eason was not any better.

Contrast that with watching Desmond Ridder lead the ATL 3rd stringers down the field, and throw a Game-winning TD on 4th and 9. Ridder seems to have that "it" factor. We coulda had him in the 3rd round.

seabowl

Reaction score
Geno is a loser not only by his play but also his personality. His body language is sooo opposite of RW.

keasley45

Reaction score
View attachment 54138
It still looks to me as if the throw to Swain could have been aimed slightly more at Swain's front shoulder, or even forward of his front shoulder...and not so obviously high over Swain's head.

I get the ball COULD have been placed better, but that ball on a rope, 35 yards In the air, and Swain had it in his hands, a foot in front of his face and dropped it. That's a catch in the NFL 100%.

Any ball that doesn't require a wr to do anything but stick his arms out and catch the ball COULD be better.

keasley45

Reaction score
Ag
I, too, can rationalize "it's not Geno's fault" for all the reasons that Maelstrom and others pointed out. The drops. The penalties, the failure to escape the sack, the bad snaps, the mishandled snaps.

Where I'm at, is along the lines of "Geno is just a guy who attracts bad luck, seemingly through no fault of his own. When he keeps having "bad luck", trust what you see, that in some collection of small ways Geno is causing his own 'bad luck'".

How does Geno cause his own bad luck? I'm sure it's a dozen small things. Maybe too slow to read and process the D, as some said. Maybe small quirks in his cadence leads to the false starts. Maybe it's leadership issues. Aging, slowing, less nimble legs where he gets sacked instead of escaping and throwing, whatever, Geno does NOT have the "it"factor about him. With tons of rookies and UDFAs in the huddle with him, I'm sure that made it even tougher for Geno.

And no, Eason was not any better.

Contrast that with watching Desmond Ridder lead the ATL 3rd stringers down the field, and throw a Game-winning TD on 4th and 9. Ridder seems to have that "it" factor. We coulda had him in the 3rd round.

Agree with most of this, but for the praise for Ritter going against no-stringers. We'll see if his having 'it' translates when the real bullets start flying from something other than pellet guns.

As to whether the penalties are on him, there's probably some justification there. Part of what a good qb does in the huddle is to get the other 10 guys focused and keep them on edge and accountable, play in and play out. Part of that is spoken, part, unspoken. But whether it was actually Geno contributing because of a void in leadership, or as mentioned during the broadcast, that Cross was just maybe used to Locks cadence... I don't know. But the fact that the majority ofnthe issues were attributable to just Cross, leads me to believe it was him having a bad rookie day.

The rest? I don't know. The only common denominator on most of his passes was that they were lasers. The dude can doing it, but you didn't really see him back off the fast ball, unless it was a swing pass to a rb. The faster a qb makes a read, the less juice he has to put on the ball tonget it there when the wr breaks open. That's what made Montana great. He didn't have a cannon arm, but the ball was where it needed to be regardless because of his anticipation. I didn't see any botched reads by him, just three misfires - one 2 yards out in front, the other a yard behind... can't remember the 3rd. But maybe things will slow down a bit and the balls will require less zip to reach their target.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Geno throws a lot of nice balls. Problem is he can't string them together enough to move the chains. He moves awkwardly, as though his legs are too long and he seems to lack confidence in what he is doing.
Lock also throws a lot of nice balls. But he moves with conviction and can adjust on the run. His problem in the past has been making too many bad decisions when things were not going according to script. Now he is trying to adjust his decision making. He is also younger, fresher, and has a pliable attitude to absorb coaching. His completion % has improved every year he has been in the league. Lock is simply more athletic and better suited for the job.

sutz

Reaction score
I know over the years there has been commentary reflecting on how some QBs throw a more "catchable" ball. Perhaps there's some of that in it.

samwize77

Reaction score
For everyone supporting Geno....go buy his jersey.
I'll save the $$ for something that actually makes me feel good....

Go12's

Reaction score

Again, I just find it insane that people are actually blaming Geno for last night. It defies logic and it defies reality.

This guy is saying exactly what I have with multiple angles of film for each play in question. Can anyone watch this and point out SPECIFICALLY WHERE you disagree with this and why?

Seriously, let's talk about the ACTUAL GAME and not our friggin priors here for once

I was just about to post the same link. Murf Baldwin makes some good points in that YouTube video. I would definitely prefer going with Geno/Drew over trading for Jimmy at this point. Combine those two 1st's in next year's draft if necessary and get your franchise QB.