Getting WAY ahead of myself (Atlanta)

seahawksny

Reaction score
ptisme":3fflvivt said:
Leew72":3fflvivt said:
Stupid looking past next week but fans get to do this..

Looking down the stretch, if we beat Detroit am i clutching at straws to think Atlanta off a bye could go cold? (they lost first week back from their bye this season..)

wouldn't want to go there right now sure but with 2 weeks of no play that O could lose a bit of edge

anyways Im pretty confident we will find a way to squeak past the Lions next week (with the 12s) and Dallas are going to hate to play NY or GB. Suddenly I'm optimistic
I could see Seattle going in there and winning... What has Atlanta done in the playoffs under Matt Ryan?

Ok let's see. Nothing except going up 21 0 and eventually beating a team much better than the one that they may be playing 10 days from now.

Zack Miller caught for 150+ that game.
This team is still trying to figure out how to use Jimmy G.

Russell has not resembled the player in second half of that game

And we had a pretty good running back playing for us that day too

We seem to have very selective memories. Matt Ryan has done plenty as far as the Seahawks are concerned

seahawksny

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1fc92lsp said:
I am so looking forward to the Seahawks going to Atlanta and just destroying the Falcons.

And which Seahawk team that you've seen this year is capable of doing that?

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
seahawksny":1on1rn5o said:
And the one win came against who?

You should know that? 30-28 over Seattle in 2012.

The whole Matt Ryan is 1-4 in the playoff thing isn't really fair though. He threw for 3 TDs with 1 pick in the loss to the 49ers when the D blew the 17-0 lead. GB thumped us 48-21 and didn't punt a single time. That's also on the D.

His team lost 4 games to teams that represented NFC in the Super Bowl with Giants/Packers winning it. Nobody else beat them either.

LeftHandSmoke":1on1rn5o said:
I am so looking forward to the Seahawks going to Atlanta and just destroying the Falcons.

What's your definition of destroyed? Because Atlanta lost 5 games by a combined 22 pts. The biggest loss was 9 pts.

As bad as the Seattle offense has looked all season and as recently as Sunday when they couldn't run on the team with the worst run D in the league I gotta say that's a pretty ballsy statement to make.

Gonna win a shootout with the Falcons? Good luck!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seahawksny":3k4n6q59 said:
LeftHandSmoke":3k4n6q59 said:
The team we have been following this year. Yep!

The same team that had bad-ass leadership Atlanta can only dream of matching up to come playoffs crunch time.

Matt Ryan?? Keerist, look at his 1-3 playoffs record and then look at clutch-time RW!

There is no comparison because the game will come down to Grit, including at QB.

seahawksny

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2qyed38u said:
seahawksny":2qyed38u said:
And the one win came against who?

You should know that? 30-28 over Seattle in 2012.

I was being sarcastic. All Hawk fans remember that one. Him being 1-4 is irrelevant

seahawksny

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":39d16vpw said:
seahawksny":39d16vpw said:
LeftHandSmoke":39d16vpw said:

The same team that had bad-ass leadership Atlanta can only dream of matching up to come playoffs crunch time.

Matt Ryan?? Keerist, look at his 1-3 playoffs record and then look at clutch-time RW!

There is no comparison because the game will come down to Grit.

seahawksny

Reaction score
seahawksny":2kpeyv7a said:
LeftHandSmoke":2kpeyv7a said:
seahawksny":2kpeyv7a said:
LeftHandSmoke":2kpeyv7a said:

I hope you're right, but I haven't seen that Hawk team in what feels like a couple months now

Followthelegion

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2r92fw3q said:
Ad Hawk":2r92fw3q said:
FalconsFanNW":2r92fw3q said:
You are what your record says you are but I'd still argue Atlanta is stronger than their 11-5 record. It's obvious if you look at the stats.

I would agree with almost all of this.

The Falcons didn't do enough to win more than 11 games, or left games close enough that one or two bad plays ended their chance to win.

Your offense is certainly fantastic and worthy of a better record. :2thumbs:

But your defense makes you what your record says you are. :229031_shrug:

Yep... definitely not gonna argue.

11-5 with losses to:

Philly by 9
Bucs by 7
Chargers by 3
Seahawks by 2
Chiefs by 1

I ain't complaining. In the end it was still enough for the #2 seed... which, coincidentally, is what we were seeded when when we last made a Super Bowl run.

We are getting some respect and seen by some as the NFC favorite but we are also the team that a lot aren't talking about. I'm fine with that too. This is the best team of the Matt Ryan era and he is the probable NFL MVP. I'm ready for Falcons/Seahawks next week.

The first game match up in Seattle was Jekyll and Hyde from the defense. First half utterly smacked the Falcons around. The second half had defense meltdowns. Watching the game in its entirety I'm not sure how Atlanta feels it 'blew' that game just because Ryan threw a pick near the end when trying to run the clock out. Which one of those two defensive performances is more likely to occur in the playoffs ? Being away from home and without Earl makes me realistic that we ain't going to get many stops against this high powered offense. However, I'm fairly confident we can stop the run enough to keep the scoreboard within reach.

Also this is not the type of defense to give Seattle fits. We will see the offense perform at a level akin to the Carolina, Jets, Buffalo, Patriots games. We will put up points if this matchup does happen.

Not saying anything as homerish as 'we will beat you Falcons out the playoffs' but if I was a Falcons fan i'd much rather play the Giants or Lions than us. Even the Packers I think would be an easier out given the CB issues they are currently facing. Seahawks have a number of clear issues (namely O-line and no Earl) but there is a tonne of fight, experience and talent on the roster.

One last comment to the poster above, Ryan should be in the MVP conversation but can't see him getting favoured about the medias deities of Brady and Rodgers

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seahawksny":37zzieo2 said:
LeftHandSmoke":37zzieo2 said:
quote="LeftHandSmoke"]I am so looking forward to the Seahawks going to Atlanta and just destroying the Falcons.

I hope you're right, but I haven't seen that Hawk team in what feels like a couple months now[/quote]

Replay those last three quarters against SF and the last two against the Cards. Matt Ryan will leave the stadium with his teeth in the turf because Bennett, Avril, Clark, Kam and company are proven bad, bad men.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":hc5idlwx said:

There is no comparison because the game will come down to Grit, including at QB.

LOL ok... RW walked into a job with a historic defense by his side.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with a similar defense. So did Jim McMahon.

Clutch time RW carried by the D in 2013? Or Clutch time RW throwing 4 picks in 2014 (to be bailed out by his D) or Clutch time RW being down 31-0 last year vs the Panthers?

*yawn*

Followthelegion":hc5idlwx said:
The first game match up in Seattle was Jekyll and Hyde from the defense. First half utterly smacked the Falcons around. The second half had defense meltdowns. Watching the game in its entirety I'm not sure how Atlanta feels it 'blew' that game just because Ryan threw a pick near the end when trying to run the clock out. Which one of those two defensive performances is more likely to occur in the playoffs ? Being away from home and without Earl makes me realistic that we ain't going to get many stops against this high powered offense.

if I was a Falcons fan i'd much rather play the Giants or Lions than us. Even the Packers I think would be an easier out given the CB issues they are currently facing. Seahawks have a number of clear issues (namely O-line and no Earl) but there is a tonne of fight, experience and talent on the roster.

One last comment to the poster above, Ryan should be in the MVP conversation but can't see him getting favoured about the medias deities of Brady and Rodgers

Glad your a realist because this Atlanta team is better than it was in October... the game isn't in Seattle... and this Seattle team is worse... both on the roster (Earl, Tyler) and statistically... specifically offensive production over the last half of the season.

Atlanta can't play the Lions (unless it's the NFCCG) and I don't care who we play. All I've said is the easier road for Atlanta to get to the Super Bowl has us playing Seattle. (Seattle beats Detroit, plays Atlanta... NYG/GB take each other out, 1 goes to Dallas to take each other out... 1 is left standing.

Who's playing the best football right now of the teams not named Falcons? How about Dallas, GB, NYG, Sea, Det. In that order. Of course the easier road is playing 1 of the bottom 2 teams and 1 of the top 3 teams.

Seattle loses to Detroit we get GB/NYG and most likely Dallas as well. That's 2 of the 3 top teams. That's the only point I was trying to make and most I think would agree. Like it or not Seattle isn't playing lights out football right now.

As for the MVP discussion... we'll see. The media poster boys Brady and Rodgers might win... by Ryan is plenty deserving. His stats are comparable to 2007 Brady, 2011 Rodgers and 2013 P. Manning... and all 3 won MVP those years.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1gp92t5h said:
LeftHandSmoke":1gp92t5h said:

LOL ok... RW walked into a job with a historic defense by his side.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl with a similar defense. So did Jim McMahon.

Clutch time RW carried by the D in 2013? Or Clutch time RW throwing 4 picks in 2014 (to be bailed out by his D) or Clutch time RW being down 31-0 last year vs the Panthers?

*yawn*

Followthelegion":1gp92t5h said:
The first game match up in Seattle was Jekyll and Hyde from the defense. First half utterly smacked the Falcons around. The second half had defense meltdowns. Watching the game in its entirety I'm not sure how Atlanta feels it 'blew' that game just because Ryan threw a pick near the end when trying to run the clock out. Which one of those two defensive performances is more likely to occur in the playoffs ? Being away from home and without Earl makes me realistic that we ain't going to get many stops against this high powered offense.

if I was a Falcons fan i'd much rather play the Giants or Lions than us. Even the Packers I think would be an easier out given the CB issues they are currently facing. Seahawks have a number of clear issues (namely O-line and no Earl) but there is a tonne of fight, experience and talent on the roster.

Glad your a realist because this Atlanta team is better than it was in October... the game isn't in Seattle... and this Seattle team is worse... both on the roster (Earl, Tyler) and statistically... specifically offensive production over the last half of the season.

Atlanta can't play the Lions (unless it's the NFCCG) and I don't care who we play. All I've said is the easier road for Atlanta to get to the Super Bowl has us playing Seattle. (Seattle beats Detroit, plays Atlanta... NYG/GB take each other out, 1 goes to Dallas to take each other out... 1 is left standing.

Who's playing the best football right now of the teams not named Falcons? How about Dallas, GB, NYG, Sea, Det. In that order. Of course the easier road is playing 1 of the bottom 2 teams and 1 of the top 3 teams.

Seattle loses to Detroit we get GB/NYG and most likely Dallas as well. That's 2 of the 3 top teams. That's the only point I was trying to make and most I think would agree. Like it or not Seattle isn't playing lights out football right now.

As for the MVP discussion... we'll see. The media poster boys Brady and Rodgers might win... by Ryan is plenty deserving. His stats are comparable to 2007 Brady, 2011 Rodgers and 2013 P. Manning... and all 3 won MVP those years.

I have to disagree with your comparison with the game earlier in the year. Yes I already mentioned the two things in your favour, namely home field and no Earl. But when you consider what we had against us in that game the scales definitely move in the other direction. Russell's health, Bennett being taken out in the 3rd Quarter with a cheap shot, no Kam, no Morgan....
I'm also not convinced you are playing better now than then, although I'm by far no expert on the Falcons, what I see from them has been pretty constant. High powered offense, a pair of running backs with speed and shiftiness, a great WR in Jones with other capable components, and most importantly an O-line greatly improved with Mack at centre.

Anyhow I digress. In a one and down scenario I think most teams who are built like the Falcons would prefer to play either an offensively inept Giants team, or a Packers team without any cornerbacks on their roster healthy. But that's OK, we will get through the Lions and then if Atlanta blows us out by 3 TDs or more like some fans seem to be suggesting I will still be on the forum to eat my crow. However I fully expect the game to be a close scoring affair which comes down to the last possession.

Problem with the MVP chat is that Ryan's brand is not similar to Mannings or Brady or Rodgers. *Edit* I would imagine it will be one of those 2 but the two bookmakers that have markets in the UK have Ryan as odds on, with Rodgers second favourite @ 3/1 so maybe just maybe he is going to get the recognition he probably deserves. Most of the talking heads at the moment seem to have placed him as 3rd in their rankings.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Followthelegion":2zll4ckd said:
I have to disagree with your comparison with the game earlier in the year. Yes I already mentioned the two things in your favour, namely home field and no Earl. But when you consider what we had against us in that game the scales definitely move in the other direction. Russell's health, Bennett being taken out in the 3rd Quarter with a cheap shot, no Kam, no Morgan....
I'm also not convinced you are playing better now than then, although I'm by far no expert on the Falcons, what I see from them has been pretty constant. High powered offense, a pair of running backs with speed and shiftiness, a great WR in Jones with other capable components, and most importantly an O-line greatly improved with Mack at centre.

Anyhow I digress. In a one and down scenario I think most teams who are built like the Falcons would prefer to play either an offensively inept Giants team, or a Packers team without any cornerbacks on their roster healthy. But that's OK, we will get through the Lions and then if Atlanta blows us out by 3 TDs or more like some fans seem to be suggesting I will still be on the forum to eat my crow. However I fully expect the game to be a close scoring affair which comes down to the last possession.

Problem with the MVP chat is that Ryan's brand is not similar to Mannings or Brady or Rodgers. It will be Brady or Rodgers who wins MVP I'm afraid.

Well said. I don't really have a followup other than to say one of us will be eating crow in a couple weeks. I'm sorry but I just don't see an offensively inept team with a banged up defense and no running game going on the road and outscoring the NFL's best offense.

That's about as blunt as I can be.

I listen to the Seahawk conversation daily on 710 and your own sports guys are saying something is off with this year's team and they think the end of the road is Atlanta next week. Any given Sunday I suppose but Seattle is a hard pick to make when you look at their performance over 16 games this year.

As for the Falcons... I know we don't have top tier defense. It is getting better though and played much better the last 6 weeks of the season. Quinn needs a few more pieces but the last couple drafts have been great. I see Atlanta as a team on the rise. We'll see how that turns out. What we do have is the NFL's most explosive offense... and when you average 34 pts a game how good does your defense need to be?

There are no lights out defenses in this year's playoffs. This team is healthy and more than capable of getting to Houston. It's gonna be fun to watch.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":nxjsll7i said:
Followthelegion":nxjsll7i said:

Problem with the MVP chat is that Ryan's brand is not similar to Mannings or Brady or Rodgers. It will be Brady or Rodgers who wins MVP I'm afraid.

Well said. I don't really have a followup other than to say one of us will be eating crow in a couple weeks. I'm sorry but I just don't see an offensively inept team with a banged up defense and no running game going on the road and outscoring the NFL's best offense.

That's about as blunt as I can be.

I listen to the Seahawk conversation daily on 710 and your own sports guys are saying something is off with this year's team and they think the end of the road is Atlanta next week. Any given Sunday I suppose but Seattle is a hard pick to make when you look at their performance over 16 games this year.

As for the Falcons... I know we don't have top tier defense. It is getting better though and played much better the last 6 weeks of the season. Quinn needs a few more pieces but the last couple drafts have been great. I see Atlanta as a team on the rise. We'll see how that turns out. What we do have is the NFL's most explosive offense... and when you average 34 pts a game how good does your defense need to be?

There are no lights out defenses in this year's playoffs. This team is healthy and more than capable of getting to Houston. It's gonna be fun to watch.

To be clear, I'm not predicting a Seattle win. Apologies, if you take the above as being an arrogant homer fan saying his team is incredible and will roll to the Superbowl. I am (along with many on here) aware of the weaknesses, and yes something has seemed off (mainly with Sherman's behaviour, which has quite frankly been bizarre).

However, and there is something all Seattle fans will hold onto. Its that the ceiling for this team when they do play well is pretty high. Going into Foxborough and winning was evidence of that. Whether Seattle recapture that for the playoffs who knows, but there is nothing about Atlanta's defense that says we will get shut down a la Seattle's normal kryptonite. Atlanta may win in the matchup, they should be favoured for sure at home, but as I said, I don't see us getting blown out by say more than a couple of TDs. I an guarantee it will be more of a fight than that. I'd give Seattle at least a puncher's chance, and that's my best attempt at being objective as I can be. Hopefully we get the game to see how it plays out.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Followthelegion,
Great objective response IF we get by Detroit. I cannot even begin to debate or talk about Atlanta until that is done and even the upcoming game makes me nervous based on how the team has been playing lately.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3djl6dot said:
Followthelegion,
Great objective response IF we get by Detroit. I cannot even begin to debate or talk about Atlanta until that is done and even the upcoming game makes me nervous based on how the team has been playing lately.

That's a fair point. I think at home we'll be alright on this matchup. Lions can't run the ball consistently against our front in my opinion, so will be forced to air it out. Wouldn't surprise me to see a relatively low scoring game. Seattle are by no means a lock on Saturday though I agree.

I'm trying to be optimistic as the game vs the Falcons would be a far better spectacle!

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Followthelegion":27jcp36w said:
I'd give Seattle at least a puncher's chance, and that's my best attempt at being objective as I can be. Hopefully we get the game to see how it plays out.

Seahwkgal":27jcp36w said:
Followthelegion,

Followthelegion":27jcp36w said:
I'm trying to be optimistic as the game vs the Falcons would be a far better spectacle!

All good guys! (and gals)

I appreciate the civilized discussions in a "looking ahead" thread. More to come!

Good luck Saturday night!

niveky

Reaction score
ABirdOfPrey":1r6gww4c said:
seabowl":1r6gww4c said:
I watched a lot of the Falcs Saints yesterday and while the Falcs O looked fantastic their D was not good. If we can hold their O to a respectable amount of points then it gives us a chance because I think our O (believe it or not) can move the ball on them and maintain drives and control the clock.

The game was 38 - 13 going into the 4th. That defense has improved dramatically. If the Falcons offense doesn't start playing conservative they score 50+....

Once your team beats DET, the Falcons will get their revenge for that blown no call and Dan Quinn sends his old team home with a loss.

You mean the same play Julio Jones pushed off on the face on the db before the rest of the play ever happened. Nice tunnel vision.

Largent80

Reaction score
LOL....174 Hawk fans trying to convince 1 falcon fan. Priceless.

All the while taking the focus off the task at hand.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":17gbwjqj said:
ApnaHawk":17gbwjqj said:
Matt Ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs... That's not trolling.. That's just facts.

Yep... he is.

Remember the games? We sure do.

Lost to Cardinals who lost Super Bowl XLIII.
Lost to Packers who won Super Bowl XLV
Lost to Giants who won Super Bowl XLVI.
Lost to 49ers who lost Super Bowl XLVII.

No shame in losing to teams that got hot (Packers, Giants) or teams that were just better (Cardinals, 49ers).

The win? 30-28 over the Seahawks in Atlanta in 2012. But you surely remember that one.

How many players do we have left from those 2008-2012 teams?

Ryan
Julio
Bryant (PK)
Bosher (P)
Babs (DT)
Harris (LS)

6 out of 53. Yeah... definitely the same team.

I do admire the confidence of the Seattle fans though. I'll be rooting for you to beat the Lions (which you should, I mean, you are at home) because we want Seattle.

Shut down our offense in our house without Earl and I'll come here and eat my crow.

Not much else to say. Agree?

Your posts are more homer than the people you accused of being homer. A few things

1. Atlanta was supposedly the "hot" team when they lost to all of those Super Bowl teams. So that's not an excuse
2. Seattle is 3-4-1 on the road. Our team was more decimated with injuries than yours(especially to our QB), CJ Prosise is injured, and Rawls wasn't 100% early in the season. So..yea.
3. We play poorly on grass fields. Two of those losses were to the Packers and the Bucs.
4. The pass interference was not the only missed call during the game. There was a missed call on Kearse if I remember correctly, among others that would have changed the course of the game
5. The fact of the matter is, Matt Ryan has choked in the playoffs thus far. No excuse for 1-4. Good for him as well for not choking late in the season after starting out hot
6. Brees' garbage time points was an onside kick away from upsetting your team, so that's a poor argument
7. We don't expect to shut down your offense, but contain it? Sure.
8. In all the games where you faced good defenses(the Chiefs, Seahawks, Broncos), you either lost or scored no more than 30 points.
9. You lost to the Eagles
10. Your team has run over teams with no QB or no defense.

I really hope we beat the Lions and come to your house

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":2dmxek8f said:
LOL....174 Hawk fans trying to convince 1 falcon fan. Priceless.

All the while taking the focus off the task at hand.
:laugh:
I keep trying to get the topic on the task at hand AKA THE DETROIT LIONS but you would swear by the conversations, we already beat them or the next game is vs Atlanta. At least Lions fans are not trolling our board.

Latest posts