Going to Green Bay!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PackerNation":zhm4c4dg said:
Green Bay IS a small market team. The Packers extremely large contingent of fans nationwide that support our team is remarkable. It's almost unheard of in the sporting world to have such a small city support a professional football team. Despite fans moving in and out of Wisconsin on a regular basis, the loyalty to their team rarely seems to wane. That cannot be said about other teams.

On the contrary, Seattle had a large metropolis to draw fans from, built a new indoor stadium and yet you struggled to sell out the stadium. Even through eras where Pro Football was getting wildly popular. It was even shared by the Seattle Mariners and still the Seahawks suffered attendance problems that almost led to the team relocating to Los Angeles. This is a testament to both fan bases. Green Bay, loyal and willing to support our team even when relocating as opposed to Seattle fans who refuse to support a team located right in their own city.

Even to this day, after Paul Allen saved the franchise from ruin, our attendance records exceed yours. Our merchandise is very large and would be even larger if you counted the "cheesehead" hats sold. But since they are not NFL licensed, they do not get counted in NFL sales revenue.

One thing we can say about Green Bay fans, we are extremely loyal, even when the team is doing poorly. Seattle cannot say that. Green Bay will never have to worry about relocation. If Seattle starts to lose it's fans again, they will.
What a bunch of BS. Our attendance started waning BECAUSE the new owner wanted to move the team, our attendance was great in the 70s and 80s, and we're even credited with being the main reason the NFL instituted a crowd noise rule back in the day, as I linked to earlier in the thread.

Your fan base isn't impressive above and beyond any other, and it has NOT always been utterly loyal regardless of the quality of the product on the field. By the way, the fact that the Packers allow you to transfer your season tickets to a surviving relative is why your list is so long. It's a popular cliche thing to do to put your baby's name on the waiting list for that reason in Wisconsin, for example. Also, again, since the Packers have no competition within a hundred miles for anything of note to occupy people's time, of course everyone's focused on them more there.

It's not supposed to be a point of pride that there's NOTHING else to do in a whole part of the world besides one thing...Though I'm surprised not at all that you choose to view it that way.

Edit: Oh, and the fact that it's free to put your name on the list. No deposit required for Packers fans. PR move all the way, take a marketing 101 class.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigtrain21":njc1q0er said:

This is North Bend. The population is 1/10th of Appleton and it sits 30 mins east of Seattle.

Tollgate20Farm[/quote]

and hometown of one Uncle Si...

SM8gvdb

ptisme

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1u2zpmh2 said:
ptisme":1u2zpmh2 said:
Uncle Si":1u2zpmh2 said:
GreenBay.jpg

or....

SEA 01
Pretty city.... I like the smaller town better.... This is Appleton where I live (20 min from Lambeau):

NEENAH NIGHT

Cmasangels night

This is North Bend. The population is 1/10th of Appleton and it sits 30 mins east of Seattle.

Tollgate20Farm

That's beautiful... The point of my post was to refute the rural highway aerial shot that suggested we all live along some highway in a field....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ptisme":1x1hvx58 said:
That's beautiful... The point of my post was to refute the rural highway aerial shot that suggested we all live along some highway in a field....
Dude, that's what the vast, vast majority of Wisconsin is. Don't try to say otherwise. ALL of it? No, but a SIGNIFICANT portion well above and beyond any other west coast or east coast state comparatively? Absolutely, yes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1gu4pxqq said:
That pic actually does a poor job of showing how big Snoqualmie Falls is IMO, amusingly enough.

just under 300 feet..

loved swimming in the splash pool as a kid. terrified the tourists.

winery_snoqualmie760.jpg

And i've been to Appleton. My fiancee is from Plymouth. I have nothing against Wisconsin, really. It's a bit backwards, but that's alright. Packers fanbase is a good one. This whole conversation is silly.

ptisme

Reaction score
[/quote]
RolandDeschain-"He's a product of the Wisconsin education system. Forgive his relative lack of math skills".....
RolandDeschain-"I lived in Marshall, a tiny town east of Madison.....when I was in junior high. I left to move back to Seattle when I was 17". .[/quote]

:shock:

You sound very bitter.... Got your lunch money stolen back in Marshall one too many times while you were going through the "Wisconsin education system"?

ptisme

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qm0xa06 said:
RolandDeschain":3qm0xa06 said:
That pic actually does a poor job of showing how big Snoqualmie Falls is IMO, amusingly enough.

just under 300 feet..

loved swimming in the splash pool as a kid. terrified the tourists.

winery_snoqualmie760.jpg

And i've been to Appleton. My fiancee is from Plymouth. I have nothing against Wisconsin, really. It's a bit backwards, but that's alright. Packers fanbase is a good one. This whole conversation is silly.

It is stupid... That's really cool BTW>>.

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":rego56nq said:
What a bunch of BS. Our attendance started waning BECAUSE the new owner wanted to move the team, our attendance was great in the 70s and 80s, and we're even credited with being the main reason the NFL instituted a crowd noise rule back in the day, as I linked to earlier in the thread.

I'm sorry to do this and it might be a bit painful, but here it is:

1995: An analysis by The Seattle Times shows the team did not make a profit last year (1994). But the losses were driven by empty seats caused by the club's third straight last-place finish, and by one of the highest player payrolls in the National Football League.

1996: Behring and Hoffman transferred the team's operations to Anaheim, California, a widely criticized move, although the team continued to play in Seattle. The team almost relocated, and was in bankruptcy for a short period. They sold the team to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 1997, for $200 million.

There were lots of empty seats and the franchise almost moved because they couldn't generate enough income in Seattle to support the team. They needed more fans.

This is what my fellow Packer-Backer has been trying to get through to you. You see, this would never happen in Green Bay. Our support for our team was so strong that even with losing records and struggling through periods of no playoff berths, the Packers organization was making money and was able to sell out the stadium year in and year out. That is loyalty. That is something we have had for so long now that Seattle just can't match and it does not seem you can understand.

You seem to take this as a knock against Seattle or it's franchise. It isn't, it is just a testament ot the Green Bay faithful and that no other team can match it. Seattle might get there someday. Pittsburgh is close and so is Chicago. These teams have been around (at least the Bears have) for a long time and have a very rich tradition of history and players.

Our fan base is impressive above and beyond any other. The smallest city with the largest following of any NFL franchise that has lasted nearly a century.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smallest city?

You don't count Madison? Milwaukee?

Green Bay fans represent the entire state of Wisconsin. They reach into northern Michigan and Iowa as well. I mean Foxboro only has 16000 people, and the Patriots are far more popular.

Also, "no other team can match it" is grossly ignorant. Liverpool, city of 400K, boasts one of the most popular soccer teams in the world. Their fan base dwarfs the Packers. Oklahoma City has like 600K and is listed as more popular. These are just a few examples. Green Bay is not unique. Hell, they've been around since like 1910. You'd think they'd have a decent fan base by now. The Seahawks are 65 years younger, and yet are right behind the Packers in popularity, with a smaller stadium and have the most popular player in the league.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...orld-s-popular-sports-teams-social-media.html

you're time in here seems borne of jealousy and nervousness.

ptisme

Reaction score
PackerNation":2hpinh7j said:
RolandDeschain":2hpinh7j said:

I'm sorry to do this and it might be a bit painful, but here it is:

1995: An analysis by The Seattle Times shows the team did not make a profit last year (1994). But the losses were driven by empty seats caused by the club's third straight last-place finish, and by one of the highest player payrolls in the National Football League.

1996: Behring and Hoffman transferred the team's operations to Anaheim, California, a widely criticized move, although the team continued to play in Seattle. The team almost relocated, and was in bankruptcy for a short period. They sold the team to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 1997, for $200 million.

There were lots of empty seats and the franchise almost moved because they couldn't generate enough income in Seattle to support the team. They needed more fans.

This is what my fellow Packer-Backer has been trying to get through to you. You see, this would never happen in Green Bay. Our support for our team was so strong that even with losing records and struggling through periods of no playoff berths, the Packers organization was making money and was able to sell out the stadium year in and year out. That is loyalty. That is something we have had for so long now that Seattle just can't match and it does not seem you can understand.

You seem to take this as a knock against Seattle or it's franchise. It isn't, it is just a testament ot the Green Bay faithful and that no other team can match it. Seattle might get there someday. Pittsburgh is close and so is Chicago. These teams have been around (at least the Bears have) for a long time and have a very rich tradition of history and players.

Our fan base is impressive above and beyond any other. The smallest city with the largest following of any NFL franchise that has lasted nearly a century.
To add to that, more than once did we buy stock and even sod in order to help the team out..... With the renovation of Lambeau now though the team is rolling in dough not only on game days but year around....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You've not had an owner buy the team and then try to move it, PackerNation. Don't bother trying to compare.

Ptisme - I'm bitter because moving from Miami, FL to Marshall, WI is terrible for anyone to have to go through. I couldn't even continue playing soccer, which I loved, because there was no soccer program in the area. Screw all rural areas and small towns. I wasn't born hating Wisconsin; I learned to through experience. Actually, that brings to mind a quote from The Silence of the Lambs...

Hannibal Lecter":4iydi4br said:
Our Billy wasn't born a criminal, Clarice. He was made one through years of systematic abuse.
Yeah, while I'm no serial killer with a cool nickname, I'd say that quote approximates how I came to dislike Wisconsin relatively accurately. :lol:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Packernation.

Maybe you'd like to explain why so many 'brothers' didn't want to play in Green Bay? Why for so many years GB had trouble attracting free agent 'brothers'?

Your court.

PackerNation

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":dhedlebq said:
You've not had an owner buy the team and then try to move it, PackerNation. Don't bother trying to compare.

Again, making us unique from any other franchise in the NFL. But your lack of attendance due to a lack of interest for the Seahawks was the driving factor in moving to LA.

Ptisme - I'm bitter because moving from Miami, FL to Marshall, WI is terrible for anyone to have to go through. I couldn't even continue playing soccer, which I loved, because there was no soccer program in the area. Screw all rural areas and small towns. I wasn't born hating Wisconsin; I learned to through experience. Actually, that brings to mind a quote from The Silence of the Lambs...

Hannibal Lecter":dhedlebq said:
Our Billy wasn't born a criminal, Clarice. He was made one through years of systematic abuse.
Yeah, while I'm no serial killer with a cool nickname, I'd say that quote approximates how I came to dislike Wisconsin relatively accurately. :lol:

Oh Lord, please stop it Roland. :roll:

ptisme":dhedlebq said:
To add to that, more than once did we buy stock and even sod in order to help the team out..... With the renovation of Lambeau now though the team is rolling in dough not only on game days but year around....

Or hundreds of fans showing up free to shovel out the stadium after huge snow storms. :th2thumbs:

Uncle Si":dhedlebq said:
Smallest city?

You don't count Madison? Milwaukee?

Green Bay fans represent the entire state of Wisconsin. They reach into northern Michigan and Iowa as well. I mean Foxboro only has 16000 people, and the Patriots are far more popular.

Green Bay is the smallest city of any NFL team. Foxboro does not own the Patriots, it's New England and they play in Foxboro. Big difference.

I can't claim to know much about European football but I do understand that they have a phenomenal following. Probably much more so then the entire NFL which is largely, but expanding, American. I watch World Cup and I get the draw to the sport.

But you can't logically compare the NFL to a European football team or league, can you?

To the OP of this thread, sorry it got derailed, but really, if you need information on coming to Green Bay or where to stay and what to do, please feel free to ask questions, I am sure any Packer fan here (2 of us? :D ) will be more than willing to help.

ptisme

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3atd6hbf said:
PackerNation":3atd6hbf said:
Largent80":3atd6hbf said:
Once again, nice relics of days gone by.

Yes. Relics, with an S.

49erNation, is that you?
Right, it's classy to poke fun at where someone lives or the people that live there.... But don't ever pull the "we won 4 superbowls and 13 world championships card" because that's below the belt....

Get a pair....

Latest posts