Golden Tate 2013 Highlights Video

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't get over the fact that he has yet to return a punt or kickoff all the way for a TD. Blows my mind. He's so electric in the open field. SOOOOO close to break one. Hopefully he gets to in the playoffs. Gotta keep him a Seahawk.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
irocdave":123i54pq said:
Tate IS what we thought Harvin would be this year.

No...no he isn't. Maybe it's what YOU thought Harvin would be, but not what most of us thought. I'm as big of a Golden Tate Fan as you will find on this board, but he's no Percy Harvin. Not by a mile. I want Tate to be a career Seahawk 'cause he has MAD skills, but Percy is on a whole 'nother plane when he's at 100%. Golden will be the perfect compliment to PH when Percy is getting all the attention when he's on the field. A tough, YAC baddass. But to say he's on the same planet as PH is not correct...IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BlueThunder":35o711lt said:
irocdave":35o711lt said:
Tate IS what we thought Harvin would be this year.

No...no he isn't. Maybe it's what YOU thought Harvin would be, but not what most of us thought. I'm as big of a Golden Tate Fan as you will find on this board, but he's no Percy Harvin. Not by a mile. I want Tate to be a career Seahawk 'cause he has MAD skills, but Percy is on a whole 'nother plane when he's at 100%. Golden will be the perfect compliment to PH when Percy is getting all the attention when he's on the field. A tough, YAC baddass. But to say he's on the same planet as PH is not correct...IMO.
Thank you for posting that before I posted something in anger and stupidity. Tate MIGHT be near Hines Ward in a year or two maybe. He will get there though make no mistake because he's tough and nasty with a winner's mentality. But there is no current comp to Percy, NONE. And that's the difference.

Not that it's horrible having this era's Hines Ward as your 2nd option...

253hawk

Reaction score
Tate is a modern day Steve Smith without the thug attitude. Small, shifty, agile, incredible balance, solid hands and deceptively strong.

I love how he punked trash-mouth Jenkins TWICE on the same deep route with the same exact adjustment, and then Chris Myers accidentally lets his Hawks colors show during the second one with a "YYYYYEEAAAAH! TOUCHDOWN!"

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tate is not a Harvin but he is faster than people think and way better than Hines Ward..The Hawks haven't used him enough, I saw him a lot here when he played at ND ,if anyone wants to see more highlights to see what I mean click this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shq4-9Xn5M It's from ND years but you can see how he can do more..Go Hawks!!!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
253hawk":wt5kdjhm said:
Tate is a modern day Steve Smith

So you'd take Golden Tate in his prime over Steve Smith in his prime? Really? Okie dokie.... Ok, maybe I'm bending your words a bit. But Golden is no Steve Smith. Go post that over the Carolina Huddle... ya know, just to get their unbiased opinion...

Remember, I'm a huge Tate fan, but ya gotta draw the line at some point...

:229031_cheers:

253hawk

Reaction score
Where did I say any such thing? I was just pointing out the similarities of their playing styles.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
253hawk":3hyt0q9l said:
Where did I say any such thing? I was just pointing out the similarities of their playing styles.
Not that you're wrong but I think Hines Ward is the better comp. Attitude, tough, clutch,able to play multiple positions....a damned pest...

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I like the Hines Ward comparison better, because Steve Smith is a franchise player. But I HATE Hines Ward SOOOO much that it's difficult for me to compare him to one of our good guys! ARGHHH!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3clzlw31 said:
I like the Hines Ward comparison better, because Steve Smith is a franchise player. But I HATE Hines Ward SOOOO much that it's difficult for me to compare him to one of our good guys! ARGHHH!!!
This means I am on to something. Tate is hated by opposing fanbases just like Ward because he plays EXACTLY like him. He does all the dirty work that will allow Percy to dominate week after week.

main

Reaction score
I think Golden Tate is good, but I don't consider Tate "great". Highlight films can fool people because they're only seeing the "highlights".

After reading everyone's comments here, I've come to the conclusion many are overrating him. He is no where close to Steve Smith and not what Percy Harvin was suppose to be for the 2014 Seahawks. Steve Smith was the face of the Panthers for many years. Tate will never be the face of any NFL team. Yes, Tate is explosive after catches and returns, but Harvin was unbelievable after catches and returns.

If Tate will ask for top 10 WR pay during the off season, I say let him go. Russell Wilson makes average WR's look good, similar to Manning, Brady, & Brees. I'm not saying Wilson is in the same category as those legendary QB's, but his accuracy benefits his WR's a lot (like Manning, Brady, & Brees).

Hopefully Tate will re-sign for a reasonable price tag. I'd love to see him stay.. but not for crazy money that will hurt our salary cap for years.

OP
OP
RussJames

RussJames

Reaction score
main":1wjdkjw8 said:
I think Golden Tate is good, but I don't consider Tate "great". Highlight films can fool people because they're only seeing the "highlights".

After reading everyone's comments here, I've come to the conclusion many are overrating him. He is no where close to Steve Smith and not what Percy Harvin was suppose to be for the 2014 Seahawks. Steve Smith was the face of the Panthers for many years. Tate will never be the face of any NFL team. Yes, Tate is explosive after catches and returns, but Harvin was unbelievable after catches and returns.

If Tate will ask for top 10 WR pay during the off season, I say let him go. Russell Wilson makes average WR's look good, similar to Manning, Brady, & Brees. I'm not saying Wilson is in the same category as those legendary QB's, but his accuracy benefits his WR's a lot (like Manning, Brady, & Brees).

Hopefully Tate will re-signs for a reasonable price tag. I'd love to see him stay.. but not for crazy money that will hurt our salary cap for years.

Yeah, you seem to be confused with how folks are comparing Tate to those guys. It's not so much about stats or legacy or anything like that, it's more about their style and the way in which they play the game. I think Golden Tate and Steve Smith are actually very similar players. They have almost identical combine numbers, they both know how to high point the ball and both excel at winning jump balls, they're both very shifty runners and have the ability to make people miss in the open field, they're both pretty damn physical for their size, they've both returned punts and were very good at it etc. etc. Also if you're comparing stats; in Smith's first 4 season he had 2,196 receiving yards, in Tate's first 4 seasons he had 2,195 receiving yards... One yard... So the, "He is no where close to Steve Smith" comment is actually very very off... And Tate had a much better 2014 season than Harvin, right?

I would definitely not consider Tate "great" right now at this moment, but he absolutely has the potential to someday be "great", and I just hope it's as a Hawk.

He really doesn't have the numbers yet to receive a top 10 WR salary. The top 10 WR's right now are earning about $9.4m to $16.2m a year. I doubt Tate gets anything close to that... Victor Cruz is getting about $7.6m which ranks him as the 17th most paid WR; I think Tate will get a contract somewhere around that, probably a bit smaller... $6.5m is my guess, and I'd be completely cool with that.

main

Reaction score
RussJames":2ag8j466 said:
main":2ag8j466 said:

Hopefully Tate will re-signs for a reasonable price tag. I'd love to see him stay.. but not for crazy money that will hurt our salary cap for years.

Yeah, you seem to be confused with how folks are comparing Tate to those guys. It's not so much about stats or legacy or anything like that, it's more about their style and the way in which they play the game. I think Golden Tate and Steve Smith are actually very similar players. They have almost identical combine numbers, they both know how to high point the ball and both excel at winning jump balls, they're both very shifty runners and have the ability to make people miss in the open field, they're both pretty damn physical for their size, they've both returned punts and were very good at it etc. etc. Also if you're comparing stats; in Smith's first 4 season he had 2,196 receiving yards, in Tate's first 4 seasons he had 2,195 receiving yards... One yard... So the, "He is no where close to Steve Smith" comment is actually very very off... And Tate had a much better 2014 season than Harvin, right?

I would definitely not consider Tate "great" right now at this moment, but he absolutely has the potential to someday be "great", and I just hope it's as a Hawk.
That is true of you look at just the overall numbers of their first 4 season. But Steve Smith barely played his rookie season with 10 catches and got injured in the 2004 season opener? So you cannot really compare their first 4 seasons.

Steve Smith's real 4th season was 2005. He got over 1500 yards with 12 TD's. Those are incredible numbers. Does anyone on this message board think Golden Tate can match those numbers? I personally don't think so.

What people are also not talking about is Golden Tate's attitude. It's horrible on and off the field. He acts like a immature spoiled kid. I've seen him do push ups on the field after catching a football, I always see him talking smack to opponents, or how about when then the entire team was pissed off at him for taunting the Rams with the TD? The guy almost stepped out of bounds because he was so focused in taunting. He could of costed the Seahawks 6 points. Oh, and how about the incident when he left a Bellevue bar drunk and broke into a donut shop to eat donuts with his friends?

Like I said, I think he is good.. but no where close to what people are making him sound like in this post.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I've always seen Steve Smith meets Hines Ward whenever I've thought of who Golden reminds me of. Like some have pointed out already, does all the dirty work like Hines did (especially in terms of blocking) as well as playing with attitude, but also has some of those traits that Steve had/has like being an exceptional jump ball threat despite not having ideal "jump ball size" and also being a force on punt returns as well with excellent open field skills.

Golden's awesome, and by potentially adding another legit threat at WR in Harvin, I think he's going to play his best ball of the season in the playoffs. Perfect timing.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
main":31sqf2wb said:
RussJames":31sqf2wb said:
main":31sqf2wb said:

That is true of you look at just the overall numbers of their first 4 season. But Steve Smith barely played his rookie season with 10 catches and got injured in the 2004 season opener? So you cannot really compare their first 4 seasons.

Steve Smith's real 4th season was 2005. He got over 1500 yards with 12 TD's. Those are incredible numbers. Does anyone on this message board think Golden Tate can match those numbers? I personally don't think so.

What people are also not talking about is Golden Tate's attitude. It's horrible on and off the field. He acts like a immature spoiled kid. I've seen him do push ups on the field after catching a football, I always see him talking smack to opponents, or how about when then the entire team was pissed off at him for taunting the Rams with the TD? The guy almost stepped out of bounds because he was so focused in taunting. He could of costed the Seahawks 6 points. Oh, and how about the incident when he left a Bellevue bar drunk and broke into a donut shop to eat donuts with his friends?

Like I said, I think he is good.. but no where close to what people are making him sound like in this post.

You seem to have a personal issue with Tate. Since that stupid donut incident, how has he been off the field? How is he spoiled? A spoiled player doesn't put his body on the line the way Tate does. He doesn't lay out hits like that either if he was selfish.

main

Reaction score
-The Glove-":yun8uuxo said:
main":yun8uuxo said:
RussJames":yun8uuxo said:
main":yun8uuxo said:

You seem to have a personal issue with Tate. Since that stupid donut incident, how has he been off the field? How is he spoiled? A spoiled player doesn't put his body on the line the way Tate does. He doesn't lay out hits like that either if he was selfish.
I don't have a personal issue with him. Like I said, I think he is "good".. but not as good as some people are making him look in this thread. Yes, he does hustle on the field and puts his body on the line for the extra yards. Unfortunately, I don't ever see him to be what Hines Ward was to the Steelers or what Steve Smith was to the Panthers. He plays similar to them, but I don't think he will the player they were. I think Tate is benefiting from Russell Wilson's accuracy a lot. I guess I'm the only one that gets annoyed of his attitude on the field. But those are just my opinions. Maybe some of you guys see him as a future 1000+ yards and double digit TD's kind of WR.. I don't.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Tate is a wicked mean blocker too. As an all around football player he is amazing. It took some time, but he finally got the "drops" taken care of and he is a very reliable and scary target. He "fights" for the ball like the best of 'em. He needs to be taken care of by the FO.