Golden Tate 2013 Highlights Video

OP
OP
RussJames

RussJames

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":cb10xn27 said:
Tate is a wicked mean blocker too. As an all around football player he is amazing. It took some time, but he finally got the "drops" taken care of and he is a very reliable and scary target. He "fights" for the ball like the best of 'em. He needs to be taken care of by the FO.

"Finally got the drops taken care of"...? I believe you're thinking of Kearse, right?

"Incredibly this year, of all wide receivers in the league only one avoided putting the ball on the ground. That man was Seattle Seahawks receiver Golden Tate who caught all 35 catchable balls thrown his way. This wasn’t exactly the biggest surprise in the world as Tate has only dropped one ball (Week 13 versus Carolina in 2010) since entering the league."

Since then Tate has had maybe one or two very uncharacteristic games in which he wasn't quite at his best and maybe dropped a pass or two, but who doesn't have those games? Even Calvin Johnson can have an 'off day' every once in a while. Drops were definitely never an 'issue' for Tate...

Hawks46

Reaction score
If you look at the screens, what makes most of those great is that Tate breaks the initial tackle.

I agree with some that he looks a bit like Harvin, but there is some big differences:

Harvin: elite speed, elite accleration, toughness with the ball, tackle breaking ability, good/great hands

Tate: elite agility and change of direction, toughness with the ball, elite tackle breaking ability, great hands, durable.

I think Tate is more agile side to side, he has better balance and he's bigger so he's harder to bring down. He also high points the ball better than Harvin. Harvin is so much faster and has better acceleration; he can stop/start better than anyone in the league. Someone mentioned that Tate looks pedestrian next to Harvin's highlights, but those are only this year's highlights. You look at both side to side, and it's very similar.

I don't know what it's going to take to keep him, but we honestly need to do it. Tate still seems to be getting better, and even if not and this is his ceiling, he's one of the better #2 WRs in the league. We all know Rice is gone next year, I don't think it's going to take Rice money to keep Tate. I'm guessing 5 mil/year would seem fair to both sides.

OP
OP
RussJames

RussJames

Reaction score
Hawks46":36t7pbxr said:
If you look at the screens, what makes most of those great is that Tate breaks the initial tackle.

I agree with some that he looks a bit like Harvin, but there is some big differences:

Harvin: elite speed, elite accleration, toughness with the ball, tackle breaking ability, good/great hands

Tate: elite agility and change of direction, toughness with the ball, elite tackle breaking ability, great hands, durable.

I think Tate is more agile side to side, he has better balance and he's bigger so he's harder to bring down. He also high points the ball better than Harvin. Harvin is so much faster and has better acceleration; he can stop/start better than anyone in the league. Someone mentioned that Tate looks pedestrian next to Harvin's highlights, but those are only this year's highlights. You look at both side to side, and it's very similar.

I don't know what it's going to take to keep him, but we honestly need to do it. Tate still seems to be getting better, and even if not and this is his ceiling, he's one of the better #2 WRs in the league. We all know Rice is gone next year, I don't think it's going to take Rice money to keep Tate. I'm guessing 5 mil/year would seem fair to both sides.

Very well put...

It definitely won't take Rice money to sign him. Rice is getting around $8.5m a year, I think Tate will receive somewhere between $5m and $6.5m which would rank him as about the 7th most payed player on our team and about the 23rd ranked WR. Seems about right to me...

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
RussJames":btk17tw7 said:
Seahwkgal":btk17tw7 said:
Tate is a wicked mean blocker too. As an all around football player he is amazing. It took some time, but he finally got the "drops" taken care of and he is a very reliable and scary target. He "fights" for the ball like the best of 'em. He needs to be taken care of by the FO.

"Finally got the drops taken care of"...? I believe you're thinking of Kearse, right?

"Incredibly this year, of all wide receivers in the league only one avoided putting the ball on the ground. That man was Seattle Seahawks receiver Golden Tate who caught all 35 catchable balls thrown his way. This wasn’t exactly the biggest surprise in the world as Tate has only dropped one ball (Week 13 versus Carolina in 2010) since entering the league."

Since then Tate has had maybe one or two very uncharacteristic games in which he wasn't quite at his best and maybe dropped a pass or two, but who doesn't have those games? Even Calvin Johnson can have an 'off day' every once in a while. Drops were definitely never an 'issue' for
Tate...
HaHa...Yeah I was thinking of Kearse. Tate really didn't emerge until last season though. It probably has more to do with the QB than anything else. Russ and Golden have good chemistry, no doubt about it.

Veilside

Reaction score
main":2xxdcmmv said:
I don't have a personal issue with him. Like I said, I think he is "good".. but not as good as some people are making him look in this thread. Yes, he does hustle on the field and puts his body on the line for the extra yards. Unfortunately, I don't ever see him to be what Hines Ward was to the Steelers or what Steve Smith was to the Panthers. He plays similar to them, but I don't think he will the player they were. I think Tate is benefiting from Russell Wilson's accuracy a lot. I guess I'm the only one that gets annoyed of his attitude on the field. But those are just my opinions. Maybe some of you guys see him as a future 1000+ yards and double digit TD's kind of WR.. I don't.

It just seems to me your opinion of Tate is a little outdated. How could you have watched him this last game and not noticed how much he's matured since the 1st Rams game?! After his interview after the first Rams game I felt that we were going to see a brand new Golden Tate as far as public image was concerned. This last game proved it without doubt that he was not going to let anyone get the best of him anymore and he was going to "act like he'd been there before".

He'd learned his lesson and now the sky's the limit for him if he's on the field with a healthy Harvin. He already almost had a 1000 yard season, I can easily see him breaking that next season with less attention being paid to him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
main":xph22eas said:
-The Glove-":xph22eas said:
main":xph22eas said:
RussJames":xph22eas said:
main said:
I think Golden Tate is good, but I don't consider Tate "great". Highlight films can fool people because they're only seeing the "highlights".

After reading everyone's comments here, I've come to the conclusion many are overrating him. He is no where close to Steve Smith and not what Percy Harvin was suppose to be for the 2014 Seahawks. Steve Smith was the face of the Panthers for many years. Tate will never be the face of any NFL team. Yes, Tate is explosive after catches and returns, but Harvin was unbelievable after catches and returns.

If Tate will ask for top 10 WR pay during the off season, I say let him go. Russell Wilson makes average WR's look good, similar to Manning, Brady, & Brees. I'm not saying Wilson is in the same category as those legendary QB's, but his accuracy benefits his WR's a lot (like Manning, Brady, & Brees).

Hopefully Tate will re-signs for a reasonable price tag. I'd love to see him stay.. but not for crazy money that will hurt our salary cap for years.

Yeah, you seem to be confused with how folks are comparing Tate to those guys. It's not so much about stats or legacy or anything like that, it's more about their style and the way in which they play the game. I think Golden Tate and Steve Smith are actually very similar players. They have almost identical combine numbers, they both know how to high point the ball and both excel at winning jump balls, they're both very shifty runners and have the ability to make people miss in the open field, they're both pretty damn physical for their size, they've both returned punts and were very good at it etc. etc. Also if you're comparing stats; in Smith's first 4 season he had 2,196 receiving yards, in Tate's first 4 seasons he had 2,195 receiving yards... One yard... So the, "He is no where close to Steve Smith" comment is actually very very off... And Tate had a much better 2014 season than Harvin, right?

I would definitely not consider Tate "great" right now at this moment, but he absolutely has the potential to someday be "great", and I just hope it's as a Hawk.
That is true of you look at just the overall numbers of their first 4 season. But Steve Smith barely played his rookie season with 10 catches and got injured in the 2004 season opener? So you cannot really compare their first 4 seasons.

Steve Smith's real 4th season was 2005. He got over 1500 yards with 12 TD's. Those are incredible numbers. Does anyone on this message board think Golden Tate can match those numbers? I personally don't think so.

What people are also not talking about is Golden Tate's attitude. It's horrible on and off the field. He acts like a immature spoiled kid. I've seen him do push ups on the field after catching a football, I always see him talking smack to opponents, or how about when then the entire team was pissed off at him for taunting the Rams with the TD? The guy almost stepped out of bounds because he was so focused in taunting. He could of costed the Seahawks 6 points. Oh, and how about the incident when he left a Bellevue bar drunk and broke into a donut shop to eat donuts with his friends?

Like I said, I think he is good.. but no where close to what people are making him sound like in this post.

You seem to have a personal issue with Tate. Since that stupid donut incident, how has he been off the field? How is he spoiled? A spoiled player doesn't put his body on the line the way Tate does. He doesn't lay out hits like that either if he was selfish.
I don't have a personal issue with him. Like I said, I think he is "good".. but not as good as some people are making him look in this thread. Yes, he does hustle on the field and puts his body on the line for the extra yards. Unfortunately, I don't ever see him to be what Hines Ward was to the Steelers or what Steve Smith was to the Panthers. He plays similar to them, but I don't think he will the player they were. I think Tate is benefiting from Russell Wilson's accuracy a lot. I guess I'm the only one that gets annoyed of his attitude on the field. But those are just my opinions. Maybe some of you guys see him as a future 1000+ yards and double digit TD's kind of WR.. I don't.

I don't think this team will ever see a 1000+ yds 10+TDs receiver. We're just not built that way. On a team where he would be the sole focus like a Steve Smith, I think your opinion on him would change

253hawk

Reaction score
It's hard to be a Smith or a Ward who were true #1 WR's when you're in a system like Seattle has and are as discerning with your throws as Wilson is. The sheer number of targets is going to reduce the chances of putting up any type of outstanding numbers other than YAC (which Tate is amazing at.) Seattle is also a run-first offense, which further reduces the numbers of pass attempts and targets to any one receiver.

The only numbers I care about are completions, I don't care who is catching them.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RussJames":28a9l4jb said:
GOLDEN

RECEIVING
REC: 64
YDS: 898 - Most rec yds on team since 2009
AVG: 14.0
TDS: 5

PUNT RETURNING
ATT: 51
YDS: 585 - 2nd in NFL
AVG: 11.5

Really hope we can lock this guy up long term. The thought of him, Percy, Beast, and Wilson all on the field at the same
time for the next couple years is mind blowingly insane. Add C-Mike to that recipe... Dynasty.

Threw this together a couple days ago, figured I'd share with ya'll folks. I organized the plays by Screens 0:12, Short Passes 1:04, Deep Passes 2:15, and Punts 5:01.

[youtube]pcSterf6OK8[/youtube]

Haven't you been paying attention?, there are some around here that keeps saying that the Seahawks Receivers are "AVERAGE AT BEST"

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks wr's compared to a lot of teams seem average but how many injuries have they had there?
It does make a difference..I know if they would have had Harvin and Rice most of the year -Lynch does even better-The wr stats are a lot better and you wouldn't hear about average at best but I think they have had a great year all considering ..It's not done yet so GO HAWKS!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RussJames":2f27bpik said:
Hawks46":2f27bpik said:

Very well put...

It definitely won't take Rice money to sign him. Rice is getting around $8.5m a year, I think Tate will receive somewhere between $5m and $6.5m which would rank him as about the 7th most payed player on our team and about the 23rd ranked WR. Seems about right to me...
5-6 million sounds right maybe 4-5 years?

hawk45

Reaction score
Count me in for that amount and duration. Tate would be a devastating number 2 WR with a Harvin out there to suck the safety help his way. As we've all seen, when Russ gets Tate 1 on 1 with no safety help he automatically launches it out there for him because it's 75% huge awesome play and 25% Tate playing excellent defense if the corner is in a better position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":jbkfdo3p said:
Where did I say any such thing? I was just pointing out the similarities of their playing styles.
I caught you're meaning and agree 100%.
If he's not getting near as many targets as Ward, or Smith did, then you can't expect him to have as many 1000 yard Seasons, BUT, that doesn't mean that he's not as prolific as those two were.
Because of the LESS than pass happy Offense, and the fact that the Seahawks spread the ball around to other Receivers, he may never get their gawdy numbers.
I think that as far as toughness goes, Tate is right up there with the very best in the League...Just ask Sean Lee, Y'all remember, he was the poor defenseless Cowboys player that outweighed Tate by 80+ lbs., you know, the same one that little man Tate knocked ass-over-tea-kettle.