Golden Tate is a bitter, bitter man

kearly

Reaction score
The link above for Golden's interview went to a video for DeMarco Murray of the Cowboys, at least it did for me. Here's the link for the Golden Tate interview on first take. It is worth a watch.

As far as the topic goes, loved Golden when he was with us. He made some plays that won us games last season and in 2012 as well, and these were plays that very few other NFL WRs had the skillset to make. Without him we probably lose the first Rams game, which would have made Seattle a wildcard and far less likely to win the Super Bowl. We owe him a lot as fans. That, plus he was so much fun to watch, and was awesome on punt returns.

Regarding his comments, which if you watch the video are 100% civil, I think they simply speak to Golden's competitive nature. He's was a bit of a smack talker when he was with us, it's only natural he would be one with the Lions too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I just watched the clip, and it looked perfectly innocent. He didn't say Stafford had better "touch" than Wilson. He merely said Stafford had "nice touch" without any comparison to Wilson. He did say Stafford delivers the ball way quicker than Wilson, but that didn't sound like a virtue or a knock in the way Golden said it. It's just a difference between the two. Also, that really shouldn't surprise anyone given Stafford's awkward side-arm delivery and strong arm.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Golden Tate has always played with intensity, always come across as angry. A bit like Angry Doug. I don't take it personally at all. This is how he gets himself jacked up so who am I to criticize?

However, I'll admit that the following quote put me into full-blown Beavis and Butthead giggling:
"I would definitely say Matt Stafford's balls get there way quicker (than Russell Wilson's). I like Stafford's touch," Tate said. "He can place a ball wherever he wants. ... There's going to be small windows and guys there ready to hit you."

That's just.... that's just awkward. Couldn't he think of any other way to phrase that? Maybe discuss Stafford's passes instead of his touch and his balls? Or maybe I'm just way too immature. LOL.

Huh huh, huh huh, huh huh huh huh... he just said Stafford can put his balls where he wants to.... huh huh, huh huh huh, balls.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1npcq3tg said:
Stafford isn't garbage, he takes risks with the ball, something Wilson is explicitly told not to do, a WR may have more touches with a slinger but they are also going to get clobbered more as well. Remember Farve was a dilemma, he would win you games with heroic efforts, but also would take risks that drove his coaches nuts and had some turnovers due to them. You want to look at a QB simular to Wilson I think of Bob Greise as far as ball control and taking chances, Wilson moves like Tarkenton but his head is a lot like Greise. Greise also had a ok running game behind him in Kiick, Morris and some buy with a funny spelt name Czonka that was beastmode before Skittles were invented I think.

Tate is a talker, has been since we picked him up, he is now on a team that talks a whole lot and has an attitude that has yet to back it up. They have put the team on Staffords and Johnsons back on offense, Tate is simply talking about what he thinks will happen, lets see if he can get open against real time contact, Stafford won't throw it somewhere thats going to get a pick when he has Johnson that has proven he can get open.
About Stafford I absolutely agree..Comparing Wilson with Greise not so much..I also saw Bob play and while he did win Super Bowls Thanks to Earl Morral ..I thought the no name defense and the three rb offense had more to do with that than Greise..Now if you was to put Wilson in that Dolphin offense they would only need 1 rb and Wilson does all better than Bob..As for Tate I think the offense will make him look good -who wouldn't be with Calvin drawing double coverages with a Bush in the backfield or slot?bell runs pretty good..You got a Favre type qb that does have a great arm but prone to be wild in thought and has baby fingers..He went for the $ first and he got it no matter how he tries to sugarcoat the truth..I'm glad he is gone and we are better for it in my opinion...

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah, his comments on the video come across way different than they do in print. When I read them, I heard a very bitter tone. But in his actual voice I don't hear that. The dangers of print: tone is not included.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am not talking about physical attributes, I was talking about Greises mental prowess and not forcing things and causing turnovers. Griese was great at coming up when he needed to but not one that carried you like Marino.

Wilson is physically superior in arm and speed etc, it's the mental approach I think is similar. The two teams are not built all that dissimilar really.

Eras different, were bigger and faster, but we are doing it with what could be called a no name defense as well except for Thomas pretty much everyone else was off the radar players as far as so called experts go.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ji6zqst said:
CALIHAWK1":2ji6zqst said:
Pro Bowls over Super Bowls. Probably why he is gone. That and if you buy the rumors????
He got the ring. I don't fault him, or any player, that pursues money once they've got a ring.

I dont fault anyone for taking money especially after getting a ring. I simply stated that making Pro Bowls is a goal of his and nothing about winning more Super Bowls. Nothing I said ever mentioned money. Just his mindset. I think that may have played somewhat of a part in the offer the fo made him.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the stock maple bars in his locker, after all in Detroit stealing a maple bar can get you on the blotter.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":kf14lzb1 said:
I like golden. He helped us win a superbowl. I like golden.

It doesnt matter. He is not a Seahawk anymore. I root against him. He is the enemy.

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
I love me some Golden Tate (I wish the Seahawks could have retained him). Matthew Stafford is not too shabby but here is the problem: So much talent but so much to prove. Tough to find a lot of wins given lack of improvement on defense. Prediction: 5-11. Enjoy your "injury free" season Mr. Tate.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3g1n6vc8 said:
HAWKAMANIA":3g1n6vc8 said:
yup. a solid WR4 imo
I think Golden is right about most of the things, but to say Stafford has better touch than Wilson and can place it better than Russ is ridonculous.

Do you know that from personal experience catching passes yourself from Wilson and Stafford?
Watch a Lions game and tell me Capt. Sidearm has better touch...

Sac

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1o9l6fio said:
Missing_Clink":1o9l6fio said:
HAWKAMANIA":1o9l6fio said:
yup. a solid WR4 imo
I think Golden is right about most of the things, but to say Stafford has better touch than Wilson and can place it better than Russ is ridonculous.

Do you know that from personal experience catching passes yourself from Wilson and Stafford?
Watch a Lions game and tell me Capt. Sidearm has better touch...

Stafford also has a tendency to hang his guys out to dry a bit.

HansGruber

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":u1m8eox7 said:
Stafford also has a tendency to hang his guys out to dry a bit.

LOL

That's some seriously risky behavior. Especially on a blitz.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Tate is a fierce competitor and a playmaker. All playmakers want the ball and certainly the accolades that go with production. Detroit just wrote Tate a check that could buy half the city and he has a QB, in a system, that could get him a 3rd deal before retirement. I think his words were borne more from excitement than animosity. I could be wrong.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Lol because 72 picks over the last 4 seasons really does prove you can place a ball wherever you want.
Stafford is Tony Romo 2.0, probably wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for Megatron.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sherminator":er0oiih6 said:
Lol because 72 picks over the last 4 seasons really does prove you can place a ball wherever you want.
Stafford is Tony Romo 2.0, probably wouldn't even have a job if it wasn't for Megatron.
They're both pretty good quarterbacks, actually. Don't let what they actually do and have done get in the way of your confirmation bias wanting to make jokes about Romo because the Internet is filled with them calling him a choker, though. :roll:

lsheldon

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3alq0fld said:
It's his guilt for being an adulterer and a prick. He ruined a marriage. Now his guilt makes him try to hate to rationalize what a crap person he is.

I've been wondering if this isn't what is behind his recent comments and feelings towards the organization and old teammates myself.

Rumor says Tate sleeps with a teammates wife, teammate separates from said wife and subsequently files for divorce, Tate isn't offered a worthwhile contract to renew. Coincidence? True or False? Inquiring minds want to know, but it is unlikely we ever will.

I liked Tate, but Baldwin is a better receiver. Time to move on.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkWow":18a8qrm2 said:
Tate is a fierce competitor and a playmaker. All playmakers want the ball and certainly the accolades that go with production. Detroit just wrote Tate a check that could buy half the city and he has a QB, in a system, that could get him a 3rd deal before retirement. I think his words were borne more from excitement than animosity. I could be wrong.
Meh, I will believe it when I see it given he has issues getting seperation. And this is Detroit we are talking about, somehow it will go bad. I don't know when or anything I just know it will happen. And Stafford isn't all that and a bag of chips. His mechanics are horrible, he's immature and he takes way too many risks . Similar to Romo in the risk taking in fact and with similar results most times.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Golden Tate is average. Plays with a fiery attitude and comes up big sometimes.

But I realized in the Cardinals @ Seattle game last season, he wouldn't get resigned because he lacks the speed and size necessary to get separation.

Arizona came in with a great game plan. Their DBs stuck to their coverage assignments when Russell scrambled, and as a result, Tate didn't get open once in that game.

Wilson made him look better than he is. When Wilson would scramble, DBs would lose focus on the receivers which allowed Tate to sneak open. Go back and watch the games and you'll see that this is exactly how he got most of his completions.

Now he's headed to a team whose qb plays traditional pocket qb, and relies on his receivers getting open. Which he isnt terrible at, but definitely below average. It's not a great fit.

So while I wish him the best, he'll be glad he got paid now because I don't see another big contact in his future.

Sherminator

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32dnu24x said:
Sherminator":32dnu24x said:
They're both pretty good quarterbacks, actually. Don't let what they actually do and have done get in the way of your confirmation bias wanting to make jokes about Romo because the Internet is filled with them calling him a choker, though. :roll:

IMO they are good regular season player.
I'm comparing the the two because both are considered franchise QBs, but they have yet to do anything outside of the first 17 weeks.
Im not wanting to make jokes about Romo, the two are both in very similar situations