Has Russell improved from last season?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":o94zsxfu said:
He has shown real progress on throws made under two seconds, but also had had a brutal problem with erratic accuracy this year which has essentially tanked his numbers. It's a problem that even Wilson can't explain, but I do think it is probably something that can be worked around by the coaching staff.

Was going to say.. it feels like Wilson is playing pretty close to how he did a year ago, only with more rushing yards

I also think he hit his season slump much earlier this year than last. But hell, EVERY QB hits a 2-3 game skid where things are just... off. Brady hit his. Manning has hit his of late. Rodgers had a shaky first couple of games.. etc

pehawk

Reaction score
What sticks out in my mind are the missed throws. The TD's especially. Not missed like didn't see them, missed as in inaccuracy. There's been a few. He's also, especially over the past two games, mentally lapsed costing the team FG position.

Neither of those mistakes were the type he made in 2012 or 2013. The right choice was always made and the open throw never missed. That was Russ.

I'm willing to concede that has a lot to do with a new OL and receiving targets. Not sure what it is. But, as we heard, even Russ cant seem to figure out why he's missing some easy ones.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
From the statistics, he's improved in some areas such as explosive plays, and digressed in others such as accuracy and touchdown passes. For me it's a mixed bag, but for some reason it feels like he's regressed a bit. It's not something I can put my finger on, and it's not something I can back up with examples; just a gut feeling that he isn't playing quite as well.

He's still playing very well, right now in particular. I guess if I wasn't so nervous about our offense scoring and not wasting so many scoring opportunities, I'd feel he'd made great progress. It is rather obvious he performs best under pressure. The bigger the game, the better he seems to do. So for what it's worth, the next (hopefully) five games this year should see some excellent play making by him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He doesn't look the Russ we saw in pre-season. Someone with a better memory than mine is sure to bust out those numbers. I don't know how many times I sat saying..."My gawd...this kid just went to an entirely different level". I even abandoned my belief Luck was the better QB and felt Wilson was absolutely unstoppable. Yes, it was the pre-season, but it was the pre season for every other QB in the league too and I doubt many, if any, were putting up the numbers Russ was putting up. Someone help me with this...didn't he score on all but one drive and like 80% of the scores were TDs?

In any event, my answer would be no. I don't think he's progressed but I also think he is about to win his 2nd SB in 3 years. I also think he's our MVP despite suffering some very uncharacteristic moments this year. Maybe the divorce settlement isn't going as swimmingly as hoped or he's diluted himself with endorsement obligations. Unsure, but It just seems like his mind's not there at times. Again, very uncharacteristic and he may need to refocus a bit coming down the stretch. He's a bit late for the sophomoric slump.

Smellyman

Reaction score
has the oline improved?

have the receiver's improved?

I shudder to think of this offense without Wilson.

IrishNW

Reaction score
erikahammondthumb1.jpg

yep....

irocdave

Reaction score
No he has not. I really wonder what happens if Lynch leaves the team at the end of this year. Lynch makes the O consistant, not Wilson. If the Hawks provide a mediocre to above average O line and a large, fast receiver with great hands the O will be decent but not the same bruising, clock eating 3rd of the team. Lynch is the guy that makes the O go, RW is a complimentary player that can make something out of the nothing that Lynch creates.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Yes he has, he has done as much or more with less, that shows his improvement.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/11/6/716 ... elp-bandit

add in no tate, rice, harvin gone.

Only someone who needs to make a negative statement would say he has not improved.

Rw is on pace for

3311 yards, 7,32 ypa, 21 tds, 6 ints qb rating about 95 So here all of his number are down slightly from last year now except turnovers which are better

total numbers

4173 total yards, 27 tds, 6 TOs(fumbles lost and ints) all of his totals running and throwing are far better than last year.

FYI Last years totals
3896 total yards, 27 tds, 15 tos(fumbles lost and ints)

So yes he has improved he has learned to take what is given and do what it takes and do it with less talent around him than he had last year.

pehawk

Reaction score
Anthony!, I was beginning to worry. What took you so long?

Anthony!

Reaction score
irocdave":3c04fgqf said:
No he has not. I really wonder what happens if Lynch leaves the team at the end of this year. Lynch makes the O consistant, not Wilson. If the Hawks provide a mediocre to above average O line and a large, fast receiver with great hands the O will be decent but not the same bruising, clock eating 3rd of the team. Lynch is the guy that makes the O go, RW is a complimentary player that can make something out of the nothing that Lynch creates.

Yeah and no yes Lynch does add some consistency, but let remember some of that is a by product of teams worrying about Rw running. Lynch may be the consistency but Rw is what allows a lot of that,.

now as to "RW is a complimentary player that can make something out of the nothing that Lynch creates"

okay so Rw is complimentary which is silly as heck without RW there is no pass game, and Lynch is not doing much of nothing. Last I checked complimentary players do not throw for 300 and run for 100. Complimentary players do not carry teams to wins. Also you say lynch creates and Rw make something out of nothing, you realize that is saying the same thing. The reality is Lynch and Rw are all we really have on offense. IF lynch leaves they will need to change the offense, and get more help in the passing game.

Latest posts