Hawks get 3rd, 5th & 6th-round Pick for BMax,Smith, Carp

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
IndyHawk":yv3amkfr said:
Why trade them?I mean don't we have to reload more than just a few spots?The best way would be drafting with all of our picks since a few won't make it anyway.
Exactly, why trade them?

This year the Hawks need to do something Schneider doesnt like doing: draft for team need.

We can't have him wasting picks on players who didn't really have a place on the team like Christine Michael. RB was not a need and we wasted our 2nd rounder on him a while back.

We need to replace some starters as well as add depth, and you don't do that by drafting positions you don't need and ignoring the positions that you do need.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3txzm2d0 said:
IndyHawk":3txzm2d0 said:
Why trade them?I mean don't we have to reload more than just a few spots?The best way would be drafting with all of our picks since a few won't make it anyway.
Exactly, why trade them?

Some people are more interested in the wheeling and dealing of draft picks than they are actually using them.

Not that trading is pointless every time. Schneider paid a lot to move up for Lockett, and nobody's complaining.

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully 2014 repeats itself and they get an extra pick by trading #32 for #40+#108(early 4th).

Chapow

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":137c5gwx said:
IndyHawk":137c5gwx said:
Exactly, why trade them?

This year the Hawks need to do something Schneider doesnt like doing: draft for team need.

We can't have him wasting picks on players who didn't really have a place on the team like Christine Michael. RB was not a need and we wasted our 2nd rounder on him a while back.

We need to replace some starters as well as add depth, and you don't do that by drafting positions you don't need and ignoring the positions that you do need.

Maybe JS and PC see things differently than you do. Maybe they're right and you're not. Maybe there's a reason that they are a highly successful GM and head coach and you're not. We are the back to back defending NFC champions after all.

And trading multiple mid/lower round picks to get Lockett turned out pretty well. You don't do it just for the hell of it, but if the right guy is there and you believe he's worth it, you go get him.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think some folks might be underestimating our personnel losses after the season. All these championships, etc.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3n888bjz said:
IndyHawk":3n888bjz said:
Exactly, why trade them?

When you start reaching for need you become a team like the Saints.

No thanks

HawkGA

Reaction score
Anybody know how this compares to expectations? I kind of thought the Hawks might get a bit higher for Carp.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2jcf00o6 said:
When you start reaching for need you become a team like the Saints.

No thanks

Did John and Pete "reach" for Tyler Lockett? We were in desperate need of someone to run back kick-offs and punts. They "bundled" several picks to move up to get Tyler. If you call that a "reach"....so be it. I happen to think that it was a wise action.

Chapow

Reaction score
HawkGA":1klxtpm3 said:
Anybody know how this compares to expectations? I kind of thought the Hawks might get a bit higher for Carp.

A 3rd rounder is the highest compensatory pick given. They don't give 1st or 2nd round picks as comp picks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Comp picks are not tradeable until 2017.

So we have two picks at the end of the third. Interesting.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Chapow":tdxf7y2s said:
HawkGA":tdxf7y2s said:

A 3rd rounder is the highest compensatory pick given. They don't give 1st or 2nd round picks as comp picks.

The 3rd was for BMax, yes?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
themunn":zz3mgub1 said:
naholmes":zz3mgub1 said:
That is a great haul and now those picks can be traded!!!

Can't trade comp picks
Yes you can. They changed the rule this year but it may not be in effect this year. At least we got good compensation for Maxwell (3rd).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":zxy0h80l said:
themunn":zxy0h80l said:
naholmes":zxy0h80l said:
That is a great haul and now those picks can be traded!!!

Can't trade comp picks
Yes you can. They changed the rule this year.
No. No. No.

They changed the rule this year. The change takes effect in 2017.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26l8nq7j said:
bjornanderson21":26l8nq7j said:
IndyHawk":26l8nq7j said:
Exactly, why trade them?

Some people are more interested in the wheeling and dealing of draft picks than they are actually using them.

Not that trading is pointless every time. Schneider paid a lot to move up for Lockett, and nobody's complaining.

Nobody's complaining now but there sure were complainers post draft. That's why they don't let us fans do the GMing.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2ut5si2x said:
In case people are curious about other picks we've gained/lost so far...

Picks traded out:
5th round to KC for Kelcie McCray
6th round to Detroit for Mohammed Seisay

Picks traded for:
7th round from Dallas for Christine Michael

So it comes down to us having an extra pick in the third and seventh round, with just one pick in every other. Doesn't sound all that bad

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2sqka67s said:
Jeremy517":2sqka67s said:
In case people are curious about other picks we've gained/lost so far...

Picks traded out:
5th round to KC for Kelcie McCray
6th round to Detroit for Mohammed Seisay

Picks traded for:
7th round from Dallas for Christine Michael

So it comes down to us having an extra pick in the third and seventh round, with just one pick in every other. Doesn't sound all that bad

Which means we'll trade several of them down to pick up more, and then bundle a couple of those for another "reach" that ends up making the pro-bowl.

Sounds perfect to me.