Hawks have scored 241 points

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey ccla, he's the QB, if he does something stupid, people are gonna' pissed. It comes with the position. It didn't phase him, in fact it made him mad. He looks nothing like the former Geno.
But I'm sure I'll get told he's always been amazing by someone :ROFLMAO:

Meh, he's damn good NOW for THIS TEAM. That's all that matters. None of the you were wrong, I was right crap matters at all. I think MOST of us were wrong, and that's a good thing.

Spohawks

Reaction score
(Boldface and color emphasis is mine)
Where did you get that information?

Overthecap has Wilson costing $26M of dead money on the Seahawks' cap this season and zero next season. The only two dead-money charges shown for 2023 so far are $4.2M for Dunlap and $1.5M for Carson.

Spotrac has those two plus several much-smaller dead-money cap charges ranging from $3,334 to $78,585. The result is that instead of just the $5.7M in dead money Overthecap shows, there's a total of $5,870,942 in dead money on the Seahawks' 2023 cap. None of it comes from Wilson.

Wilson is costing the Seahawks $26M of cap space this season, but it looks like that's it. Nothing more next season. And the Seahawks appear to be doing just fine despite having that $26M hole in the 2022 cap. Schneider and Carroll are very good at what they do.
Its hard to say that the Hawks are paying 26 million to a guy who is playing for another team and then say John and Pete are very good at what they do.

Lets be real, that was an epic failure of money management.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Its hard to say that the Hawks are paying 26 million to a guy who is playing for another team and then say John and Pete are very good at what they do.

I look at it differently.
The Seahawks were supposed to have an even-bigger cap number for Wilson this season, but instead of paying top-QB money for extremely limited performance and continuing to use draft capital and free-agent money to plug holes around Wilson, they instead unloaded Wilson, took the cap charge, added $3.5M on the cap for Smith, got a bunch of draft capital, and started drafting major pieces rather than trying to fill in around Wilson.

Just at the QB position, even with the $26M in dead money, the Seahawks have a lower cap cost this year than they would have had if they had kept Wilson, and they're getting startlingly better performance out of the position. Additionally, they added a tight end and a defensive lineman who have contributed quite a bit this season, plus their current backup QB, plus a ton of draft capital, including what could easily be a top-ten pick (and could plausibly be a top-five pick) in next year's draft.

The team improved immediately and is set up, with all the outstanding rookies added this season, for success over the next few seasons.

That looks to me like an epic success of management, money and otherwise.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And look at the haul they got back. Could have been a lot worse. Also, 2 other trades were voided, and they still made out on the 3rd try that was finally approved.
They TOTALLY won that trade, and deserve some credit for how they did it.

themunn

Reaction score

Dead cap is part and parcel of paying contracts though.
As part of those trades we took on Fant, Harris and Lock who the Broncos have an $8m dead cap for combined, so netting off from our own $23m dead cap so a net $15m hit to us

What we did was effectively trade that $15m of dead cap for 2 first round and 2 2nd round picks. Each player selected is also subject to rookie cap. If you believe that Cross is a top 20 NFL tackle (currently ranked #5) then we are making a $5m saving on his Avg $5m per year salary, each and EVERY year he is signed here on his rookie contract, vs the number #20 player (Duane Brown) who is being paid $10m a year. If you believe he actually IS a top 5 player then we are making a $13.5m saving ANNUALLY.

Likewise Walker is playing like a top 10 RB (at least), but paid substantially less ($5m less per year) than #10 highest paid RB.

And we have another 2 picks to use!

That's money management

cymatica

Reaction score

🙄🤦

sutz

Reaction score
Dead cap money is just a fact of life for the modern game. Contracts are always a negotiation between team and player and dead cap is a thing players put it for protection. Complaining about it is like complaining you got too much cinnamon in your latte. 1st world problems. ;)

Spohawks

Reaction score
All I hear is excuses. If someone lost $26 million of your money, would you be like...great money managment Guys?

Of course not. Justify away on other factors...but $26 million lost is probably the biggest loss in Seahawks history. HISTORIC EPIC FAILURE!!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
All I hear is excuses. If someone lost $26 million of your money, would you be like...great money managment Guys?

Of course not. Justify away on other factors...but $26 million lost is probably the biggest loss in Seahawks history. HISTORIC EPIC FAILURE!!
You're barking up the wrong tree. You really are. Dead money happens when a player gets a signing bonus but leaves the team before his contract expires. No big deal. It s just accounting.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I think you failed to understand something. That's $26M of dead money on the cap, not actual cash being paid. Nobody "lost" $26M of anybody's money. That money had already been paid to Wilson, part of the $107M the Seahawks paid him since he signed his last contract extension with them in 2019. Since that amounted to three seasons, the average annual value of that contract ended up being $35.67M. That was Wilson's market value for that time (I'm guessing his market value is a lot lower now, but market value for a top QB is even higher than almost $36M per year). So there doesn't appear to be money lost there either.

And Seahawks management (correctly, evidently) determined that taking a $26M dead-money charge against this year's cap to trade Wilson was the best way forward, and that it would allow them to build a better team for the next few years. I don't even have to argue that they might have even known that they could be better this year than last year, even with all that dead money on the cap. But I think it's pretty clear they did know that they could at least field a competitive NFL team this season that would have the base of a potential contender for the next few seasons, even with all that dead money on the cap. That looks like great cap management, especially considering that they were in what appeared to be difficult circumstances, with their star quarterback pushing hard to get out and the team having been built around him for the last several years.

There was no $26M lost. The dead-money charge is just accelerated accounting of money that's already been paid, but the cap hit of which had been spread out. Because of the trade, instead of the cap hit of Wilson's signing bonus being spread out over five seasons, the last two seasons of deferred cap charges were brought into this year's cap number.

So what's the "HISTORIC EPIC FAILURE!!"?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
He was as limited in 2019 as he is in 2022 and as he was in 2016. Had we made the transition earlier the team might have been in contention mode... real contention mode (not one and done in the playoffs when we face solid defenses who knew fhe handful of plays that our passing game hung on) for years now.

I think it was more a 'better later than never' scenario. But agree. GLAD we have a real offense now that can win effectively through the air and on the ground.

Highly efficient, highly accurate, highly explosive. Peteball at its purest and finest.
This was really the best time to offload him. There's an argument that it was a season late but I think it's very close in comparison. Regardless of his happiness here (or vice versa), we weren't paying him what he wanted with his new contract so this was the last good time to trade him. There's no way to know in hindsight but would the players we would've hypothetically taken in last year's draft have been making as much impact on the team? Would we still have the team we have now if we did it differently. It's hard to argue, again in hindsight, that they handled the situation any way less than perfectly, considering just how quickly they rebuilt with all the rookies and a few FAs/tradees.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think you failed to understand something. That's $26M of dead money on the cap, not actual cash being paid. Nobody "lost" $26M of anybody's money. That money had already been paid to Wilson, part of the $107M the Seahawks paid him since he signed his last contract extension with them in 2019. Since that amounted to three seasons, the average annual value of that contract ended up being $35.67M. That was Wilson's market value for that time (I'm guessing his market value is a lot lower now, but market value for a top QB is even higher than almost $36M per year). So there doesn't appear to be money lost there either.

And Seahawks management (correctly, evidently) determined that taking a $26M dead-money charge against this year's cap to trade Wilson was the best way forward, and that it would allow them to build a better team for the next few years. I don't even have to argue that they might have even known that they could be better this year than last year, even with all that dead money on the cap. But I think it's pretty clear they did know that they could at least field a competitive NFL team this season that would have the base of a potential contender for the next few seasons, even with all that dead money on the cap. That looks like great cap management, especially considering that they were in what appeared to be difficult circumstances, with their star quarterback pushing hard to get out and the team having been built around him for the last several years.

There was no $26M lost. The dead-money charge is just accelerated accounting of money that's already been paid, but the cap hit of which had been spread out. Because of the trade, instead of the cap hit of Wilson's signing bonus being spread out over five seasons, the last two seasons of deferred cap charges were brought into this year's cap number.

So what's the "HISTORIC EPIC FAILURE!!"?
He clearly doesn't understand at all what he's talking about, or just came here to troll the discussion.