Hawks looking at Brandin Cooks to replace Tate

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9ytahf8x said:
What i heard was our WR coach was there to see Cooks, not Pete or John.

Yup, I knew that. Or are you highlighting that because you think it holds extra significance? I just assumed it was a deputize kind of thing to send a WR coach.

kearly

Reaction score
drrew":s0k9us9f said:
Among your top 20leading receivers in receptions this past season

5'10 186 Antonio Brown
5'10 198 Julian Edelman
5'10 191 Kendall Wright
5'10 175 Desean Jackson

Sure, it'd be great to have 6'3 230 Andre Johnson, or 6'4 230 Brandon Marshall, or 6'3 225 Josh Gordon, but lets not pretend thet Brandin Cooks at 5'10 190 is too small to succeed. The four guys listed above prove that to be incorrect.

I love DeSean Jackson. I am honestly surprised he only weighs 175. He does not look small, and he has some strength on contested throws.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":27stwhrj said:
Scottemojo":27stwhrj said:

Yup, I knew that. Or are you highlighting that because you think it holds extra significance? I just assumed it was a deputize kind of thing to send a WR coach.
I am probably mistaken, but I just assume that if the thought it was a first round thing they would send more than a position coach.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":21khiv9t said:
kearly":21khiv9t said:
Scottemojo":21khiv9t said:

I am probably mistaken, but I just assume that if the thought it was a first round thing they would send more than a position coach.

I think you might be on to something.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2e8giakn said:
jake206":2e8giakn said:
Too short, would rather have Matthews.
You prefer WRs that can't get separation? Crazy.

If he can do that, while being covered as well as is claimed, then you bet I want him. He must have the best ball fighting skills of any collegiate player in history.

The truth is, he does get open. And he extends well, and fights for receptions very well. He is tough and takes hits. Doesn't exhibit alligator arms. Goes and gets the ball. And can run away from defenders in space.

It's a pretty gross exaggeration that he can't get separation. It's certainly not his strength -- like say a Jared Abbrederis. But he has other qualities that compensate for that.

As far as tools go, he has plenty. Speed, size, determination and a strong ability to develop. Attitude wise, he's pretty outstanding. I don't think it's exactly a surprise that Seattle has shown interest in him. I'd be shocked if he didn't interview well. It doesn't mean he's necessarily our guy we can't leave the draft without -- but I do think he's on our board and probably a lot higher than the separation critics might expect.

With Tate's departure, I would expect our profile for which WR we take early will now include guys that aren't simply big receivers. That opens up a lot of options. The pool is muddied now and it's less clear who will be on our board. I don't expect Cooks to be on it -- since he'd be duplicating roles that we have filled with Baldwin and Harvin. He's not really an outside receiver and Seattle has lost two of them. We seem set at the slot.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":34afx774 said:
http://fansided.com/2014/03/15/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-seattle-seahawks-taking-look-brandin-cooks-replace-golden-tate/

Is this guy any good?
At a 4.33 in the 40, he's fast as hell, but, what about his other attributes?, does he have good hands?, durability?, has he been used to return kicks?
I think if Cooks is on Schneider's radar, he will already know the answers on this kid, + a whole lot more about his mindset.

sliv

Reaction score
I am kicking the tires on Donte Moncrief being my Seattle shocks the world and all the media/fan arm chair GM's by picking a lower media ranked player in the first round. The Bruce Irvin factor sir............... 6'2" 220lbs freak athlete hard worker great blocker. Like I said I am kicking the tires on the idea.................. oh and I like B Cooks also stud and if PC and JS draft him I'm all in.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think its a smoke screen, Seattle has alot of shifty players and I think the Big guy is what Seattle is looking for in a WR in the first round unless its OBJ. Jermaine Kearse is the WR who replaces Tate in my opinion except on special teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jake206":h5fk9c0q said:
Brandon Cooks is going to get smashed by DBs, bigger than him. Its the NFL, not college football. In this offense, he is going to have to block.

From NFL combine-
Weakness:

Size is just adequate -- is small-framed and lacks ideal length and bulk. Vulnerable to the jam and reroute. Relatively small catch radius. Has small hands and double-catches some throws. Lacks elite, blazing speed to run by NFL corners and safeties. Will struggle to play "above the rim" at the next level. Was not an impactful punt returner. Limited run strength. Poor blocker.

Whoever wrote that is on some good drugs. The one thing this guy does have is elite speed and quickness.

jhern87

Reaction score
Cooks is a rare player that produces great numbers in college, THEN performs very well at the combine. Lots of guys are either one or the other.

I'm pretty confident that Cooks is going to be a stud in this league. Great hands, great speed, A prototypical slot receiver. If he goes into the right system (NE, GB, Den, Etc.) he could put up some big numbers immediately.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Looking at the highights it doesnt look like Cook is a fraction the talent OBJ and Jarvis Landry are. I hope the hawks end up with Landry.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not crazy about Cooks in Seattle but I can see why teams will value him. Nice movable piece you get into different positions and be creative with (well, unless your OC is Brian Schottenheimer).

Oregon put three guys on him all game which was kind of weird. Not sure I've seen blanket triple coverage before.

Subzero717

Reaction score
He is a Tate clone from his highlight reel. Probably contribute faster than Tate. I think if we go WR we go big.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's not who we look at at this time of year, it's who we don't that we did months ago.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2c2vttb5 said:
It's not who we look at at this time of year, it's who we don't that we did months ago.

That's not always the case...

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 10h

2012 PreDraft visits included D Coleman, J Lane, K Toomer, B Wagner...and D Shead likely on a local (and I bet Kearse on a local)

Russell Okung was also a guy they had a PreDraft visit with (went bowling), so it's not just late-rd guy's either.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Been watching a bit of film on Cooks lately, going in with nothing but his reputation in mind. First watched the pro day and combine, and he looked great. Fast, good in and out of breaks, and attacked the ball. Then I threw on the film and pretty much agreed with Kearly. Looks small, plays small, didn't set-up db's very well, and speed didn't translate as much as I thought it would. Golden Tate was a much better college player who played like he was 6'3" and was devastating after the catch. Of all the potential wr's being bandied about for the Hawks early, Cooks is who I would least want.

jake206

Reaction score
Typically hawks MO has been to bring prospects their really interested in to VMAC for a looksy. I'm resign to the fact that Hawks will be pick this guy. He's good, but not as great as everyone thinks he is. Explosive, but poor against the press.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I think they want to see what a potential future division rival is capable of.

Latest posts