Hawks trying to trade WR Kearse

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Aros":2xa822nq said:
It was his drops and disappearing too often that sealed his fate in my eyes, and apparently the FO's as well.

Doesn't have to be that. It could be that Seattle just has guys beneath him (Williams/McEvoy) that warrant a roster space too. His contract is pretty significant for a team that is tight on space.

And if you look at the contract, it was clearly meant to be a de facto 2 year contract with a relatively pain free voidable third year. So jettisoning Kearse now is basically just letting him go one year early.

I tend to think it wasn't so much what Kearse didn't do, as much as it was we have guys capable of bridging his loss on the roster. With a 3rd round pick that was essentially his successor plan for 2018. It seems that the surprise bounty we have at WR made him expendable a year before we planned.

Still a valuable player should we end up with no suitors for him in trade. Seattle is in a position to prune salary at the top of the WR depth chart in order to afford opportunities to guys on the bubble that appear ready to contribute as 3rd through 5th WRs in the depth chart.

Seafan

Reaction score
He seems to be the only tradeable of the bubble WRs. Doubt it happens. Likely cut.

KenHamlinsStopSign

Reaction score
I can see chicago giving a 6th for him or maybe a project lineman but they did just lose Meredith either way good ridden

strohmin

Reaction score
Man I for one am going to miss him if this happens. He had some memorable clutch catches.Although he's had some pretty bad moments, he did catch the two game winners that sent us to our last two superbowls. Wish people could show a little more respect for a man who played a significant role in putting the Hawks where they are today.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
As great the clutch catches were consistency is what we need now . Wouldn't hurt us if it did happen

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd be happy with a trade but I'm also in the "fake news" camp until we see this seconded by a more trustworthy source.

Josea16

Reaction score
AgentDib":3rv3klgl said:
I'd be happy with a trade but I'm also in the "fake news" camp until we see this seconded by a more trustworthy source.
This and it seems too late too late to get a taker given cut day is three days away.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
AgentDib":2066trp4 said:

Russini is not trustworthy? Has she been proven to post false reports before or you just don't believe she is tuned in to anything Seahawks?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
When I heard news of this today ... my first immediate question was WHY? Why would the Hawks looking to make such a move right now? I started thinking through things as they sit with the roster currently and immediately began connecting some of the dots. I will fully admit that I'm speculating here, but here are some thoughts on WHY I believe Schneider could be exploring such a move ...

1) The WR Position right now is DEEP ... and there are some tough cuts to potentially make. In particular, I'm wondering if this could be related to Darboh. Bottom line is the Hawks invested a 3rd Round Pick in Darboh. On paper, he profiles as a very similar player to Kearse (a physical receiver who was compared with Anquan Boldin) only with better overall speed. In the end, they may be very squeamish about the idea of cutting someone they invested a 3rd round pick in.

2) With Malik McDowell lost for the season, this team would still seem to be in need of a DT who can provide pressure right up the middle. In light of all the earlier rumors regarding Sheldon Richardson, the thought occurred to me, "Could the Seahawks possibly be clearing cap space (and a roster spot) in order to make a trade for Richardson?" It would sure make fitting him in the Seahawks cap structure a heck of a lot easier.

So, putting 1 and 2 together (in theory),

the Seahawks would get:

A] A dominant DT AND gain (at least another roster spot) for another younger, cheaper WR like a Darboh or a McEvoy.

B] Possible salary cap relief and extra cap space for Richardson if they were to trade for him.

The Jets would get:

A] A bit of Salary cap relief for Richardson AND would rid themselves of a guy who has been somewhat of a pain.

B] A starting WR who has Super Bowl experience. The Jets are fairly barren of talent at the WR position as a whole.

Just thinking out loud ... :hmmmm:

chris98251

Reaction score
This isn't about Cap space really it's about Williams and McEvoy bringing a similar skill set and being younger and on a cheaper contract situation going forward. 2.2 million is chickenfeed really for a primary starter, Chicago could be a spot for him also.

The Breh

Reaction score
He's clearly been outplayed this year, and crap last year with drops and penalties but his horrible angle on that ST TD for the Chiefs may have sealed the deal. His couple catches were too little too late.
Tomorrow night will be the last time he suits up for us imo, one way or another.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I am sure someone knows the stat - but just curious how many of RW's picks in the last few years were passes intended for Kearse. Not that they would be Kearse's fault, but perhaps it would be an addition by subtraction for RW?

Anthony!

Reaction score
iigakusei":18aa3ez7 said:
I am sure someone knows the stat - but just curious how many of RW's picks in the last few years were passes intended for Kearse. Not that they would be Kearse's fault, but perhaps it would be an addition by subtraction for RW?

I can think of at least four and they were Kearses fault, unlesss the ball bouncing off your hands and being INT is on the QB

bigskydoc

Reaction score
iigakusei":2g8wwsgb said:

20% (11) of Wilson's 54 interceptions (including regular and post-season) were on throws to Kearse

When throwing to Kearse, Wilson has an interception rate of 3.7% compared to a career interception rate of 2.2%

TwilightError

Reaction score
With his contract, they can maybe get a switch of 5th and 6th round picks from a very receiver-needy team.

minormillikin

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3486jmu0 said:
iigakusei":3486jmu0 said:

20% (11) of Wilson's 54 interceptions (including regular and post-season) were on throws to Kearse

When throwing to Kearse, Wilson has an interception rate of 3.7% compared to a career interception rate of 2.2%

That just says that Russ is willing to try passing to Kearse in iffy situations. It probably says more about Wilson than Kearse.

In any case, it seems like 90% of the time a player gets "shopped" for a trade it's just a long shot attempt at getting something for someone you're about to dump and there aren't any takers.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
hawkfan68":17utjffl said:
If Kearse leaves the Seahawks (traded/cut/etc), watch him flourish with another NFL team just like Golden Tate did.
Lol what? Golden Tate had 3x the talent of Kearse.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1h5pbvoi said:
AgentDib":1h5pbvoi said:

Russini is not trustworthy? Has she been proven to post false reports before or you just don't believe she is tuned in to anything Seahawks?
I have nothing bad to say about her but the burden of proof here falls on the twitterer. This is a rumor with unnamed sources that is perfectly believable, can never be disproven, and that type of content makes up a big part of the sports internet journalism sphere these days.

Consider that unexpected stuff never seems to get leaked. We didn't know about the McDowell thing until weeks after the fact and even now still don't have the full story. Harvin/Graham were both out of left field, none of the media ever has an idea of who is on our draft board, and so on. When we find out real stuff as in the Sherman trade talks it seems to always be an intended leak. 90% of the reporting this offseason was regurgitating quotes taken directly from Pete's numerous press conferences.

Latest posts