Hawks trying to trade WR Kearse

Davidess

Reaction score
We as a fan base need to stop dwelling plays that happened 3-4 years ago.
Yeah sure he made some "Clutch" plays (NFCCG vs GB & vs SF and SB 49 vs NE) but lets also remember the 4 passes that were intended for kearse vs GB that either tipped off his hands or he didn't fight back for the ball. The NE game when he dropped a crucial 3rd down pass (went right through his hands) in the 4th quarter that could've all but sealed the win. The numerous (5 I believe that lead the league) pass interference calls against him last year because the guy doesn't know how to just be in the way and instead makes contact with the defender. Im sorry but kearse plays 'Lukewarm' to 'Frigid' he is a very frustrating player to watch. He can make these stellar grabs but when it comes to the nice easy one he loses focus and it hits him right in his ol'slab hands.

I do like the idea of trading/releasing kearse because it gives me the feeling that the FO is comfortable with Lockett coming back strong.

I put it this way

I am shocked when Baldwin DROPS a pass but im even more shocked when Kearse CATCHES a pass

Tigwelds1

Reaction score
You're surprised when he makes a catch? I get people get jaded over time with their expectations of a player but come on. Yes, there are games where he has been a non factor due to the talent he is lined against and the way the game has evolved but come on with acting like he has no value for this team. What option do you realistically prefer? Richardson is more talented I will give you that by a mile, but how many games do you want to bet your mortgage on that he will be available? Williams flashes like a star but he has the concern of health AND ability to compete on a level that kearse has proven that he can. So is that where you want to put all your chips? I'm not saying that it's not a position that can be upgraded on, but is it worth rolling the dice right now to do it?

Davidess

Reaction score
Tigwelds1":1eh6uktz said:
You're surprised when he makes a catch? I get people get jaded over time with their expectations of a player but come on. Yes, there are games where he has been a non factor due to the talent he is lined against and the way the game has evolved but come on with acting like he has no value for this team. What option do you realistically prefer? Richardson is more talented I will give you that by a mile, but how many games do you want to bet your mortgage on that he will be available? Williams flashes like a star but he has the concern of health AND ability to compete on a level that kearse has proven that he can. So is that where you want to put all your chips? I'm not saying that it's not a position that can be upgraded on, but is it worth rolling the dice right now to do it?

It doesn't take much to shock me.
haha the only thing Kearse has going for him is his durability, his consistency? that's another question
Look I enjoyed kearse once or twice but acting as if he brings more than his durability is insane. The guy brings value as a bench WR that we may need if/when Prich/Lockett go down. I am cool for keeping kearse but at his price right now? No thanks. I think he is overly paid for what he does which is close to nothing. Had a good a block for Baldwin this last game (I believe) but he also whiffed on the return TD.

Once they get rid of Kearse hopefully it will make RW want to throw to JG in the RZ.

peppersjap

Reaction score
thebanjodude":1htprr6r said:
hawkfan68":1htprr6r said:
If Kearse leaves the Seahawks (traded/cut/etc), watch him flourish with another NFL team just like Golden Tate did.
Lol what? Golden Tate had 3x the talent of Kearse.
Yeah, I thought comparing Kearse to Golden Tate was quite the stretch too. Kearse might help someone but he isn't in the same category as Tate!

peppersjap

Reaction score
Tigwelds1":150urt1z said:
Yes!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This season's cuts will bring many tough choices for the FO. This FO has made a lot of very good choices since their arrival. If they figure moving Kearse will allow the team to be incrementally better by keeping a younger player then I'm good.

Does the team keep a player they would likely cut next year for cap reasons or try to trade him? Capwise it's a net $2.2 mil. cap recapture for this season and about $1.8 mil. dead money to eat for the next season's cap. Any value the team recoups by trade is a bonus.

Kearse is, however, a better team player than some here recognize and his character loss will be a loss to the team. Can the team be better with his loss? The real gain is the team would potentially be able to keep a younger player they see has the potential to be better than Kearse. Then the team is improved if the younger player is better but not if not. The roster limits offer up difficult choices for the FO every season. Kearse has been a major factor in the team's past successes but the future for him here has become less bright with this news if this isn't just click bait fake news from the the increasingly unreliable ESPN. The news seems to be confirmed by other sources so there is something to this. If he is done here I thank him for his contributions to my favourite team and wish him every success going forward.

I hope the team is making the right choice here because Kearse has made a lot of big plays for the team we are fanatics of.

Change sometimes isn't as good as hoped to be. It is however constant.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2d0lv2hx said:
As you post your celebratory memes, keep in mind that hardworking Seahawks players are able to see what you're writing, and that doubling down and being a "tough, gotta earn your pay" hardass doesn't make it any less so. If you've never been on the field yourself...

For the record, I don't care about this news one way or another. I'm rooting for the FO to field the best 53. That said:

Fans are gonna be fans, dude. Athletes are awash in the sea of public opinion. If they resent their fans for that, they may be in the wrong line of business.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kearse, while being interviewed by Softy on KJR acknowledged the criticism from the fans. In fact, he said much of it was deserved, and some other things the fans don't see. He was totally chill about it, wasn't surprised at all. I may feel like it's time to move on from him, but this guy has been impressive thru all of this talk, he takes it in stride.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
So if he's gone, who becomes the next scapegoat? Lane?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's part of sports, that will never change. People enjoy blaming Russ for everything, so there is that :irishdrinkers:

Hawkfish

Reaction score
I wonder if the front office/coaching staff feel that he may be some of the blame for our red zone problems. Seems like Wilson tries to go Kearse quite a bit and fails rather than Graham or someone else when we pass. Too much trust, not enough results. If Kearse is not on the team, will have to make Wilson look for someone else?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A friend of mine from Chicago says there are rumblings that the Bears may be interested. They are in desperate need of a WR.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Wartooth":2rapkae5 said:
I don't see a lot of trade value in a guy who can block...
But, only catches about half of the passes thrown his way.
Either way, it looks like he's gone.
Good luck to him!

I think you need to go back and check your stats. He had a bad year last year, but before that he had a damn good catch rate.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Really, I think the only teams that will be interested are teams, such as the Seahawks, who think they can turn around a player with certain skills that may not have flourished in the system that they were in. If such a team existed, they might be interested, of course they are going to look at his stats and recent play too parlay the best deal they can get.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
peppersjap":1g7rnx8k said:
thebanjodude":1g7rnx8k said:
hawkfan68":1g7rnx8k said:
If Kearse leaves the Seahawks (traded/cut/etc), watch him flourish with another NFL team just like Golden Tate did.
Lol what? Golden Tate had 3x the talent of Kearse.
Yeah, I thought comparing Kearse to Golden Tate was quite the stretch too. Kearse might help someone but he isn't in the same category as Tate!

Tate is absolutely better than Kearse (Tate was a 2nd round pick and Kearse was undrafted). No doubt about that. But if you look at Tate's results as a Seahawk and Kearse's numbers, they are actually comparable.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13217/golden-tate
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15428/jermaine-kearse

Tate really broke out when he left the Seahawks. Whether Kearse does the same is TBD.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm seeing a couple of reasons why I think this is real and not just fake news. Gregg Bell of the Tribune was saying that he believes this was a courtesy "intentional leak" to try to find Kearse a spot somewhere before the 1184 rush. He pretty much said it was notice he would be cut if no takers, and Kearse and Wilson both likely were aware this was going to happen. The other that plays into this is Pete's comment when asked about all the WR talent this year. He went out of his way to state that yes and there is a lot of talent, and all hasn't shown up in pre season games catches. To me, this is a sign that Darboh who has no game catches likely makes the team, and Pete was answering why Kearse was cut over Darboh.

I like Kearse, love the story and his big moments, but this move is needed IMO. Kearse came back after he was let explore free agency with no takers and we signed him just last season. He seemed miffed about the situation, then that or something played into a serious loss of production last season. It also was effecting Wilson in that he was making poor choices and poor throws trying to get him the ball. So yes, this deals with that situation by eliminating it as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3ueolf3i said:
So if he's gone, who becomes the next scapegoat? Lane?

:irishdrinkers:
Here is to hoping we don't need one.

....But Cable and Bevell will do if needed. :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Now Rapoport is saying the Hawks "continue to actively guage trade values, with talks involving CB Jeremy Lane, RB Alex Collins & WR Jermaine Kearse, sources say"

Latest posts