How do we slow down Drew Brees?

plyka

Reaction score
ivotuk":ivqafm2f said:
The Falcons have done it before although not very successfully this year. But it looks like their philosophy was pressure and if I understand the article correctly, pressure up the middle.

"Moore said while the sacks weren't there, the pressure was and it got Brees moving, which started their pick party.

“It was one of those things where we got Drew out of the pocket," Moore said. "He’s a great mobile QB and you can’t take that from him, but that also limited his time to sit back in the pocket. He’ll pick you apart if you let him sit back there. If he’s on the move, you can jump some routes coming from the backside where he can’t see you"

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...ew-Brees/0da7d9b9-c1ba-4b09-b7fc-df5b63f793a8

New England beat them by covering Jimmy Graham according to an article on SBNation and that seems to be the consensus from other articles I read on the subject:

"Graham has been so good this year that even after failing to catch a pass in Week 6, he is still the NFL's leader in receiving yards with 593. He also has six touchdowns on the year. He's the first player to really get the attention who isn't named Drew Brees when it comes to the Saints offense, and for good reason.

So if Graham has managed games of 179, 134, 100 and 135 yards this season, how did the Patriots hold him to zero? They bucked the trend of keeping their cornerbacks outside and on receivers, and put one on Graham for the entirety of the game. Rather they had a corner on Graham until he injured himself in the fourth quarter.

New England took cornerback Aqib Talib and stuck him to Graham for much of the first half."

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/16/4843412/patriots-vs-saints-review-jimmy-graham-aqib-talib

Looking around for info on slowing down Brees, I also found a great article where one of the best corners ever, Ty Law gives advice on facing Peyton Manning, advice that might be applicable to Brees. And we are likely to see Peyton in New York, so some info on him is good food for thought :D

I'm not sure if Drew plays these games at the LOS, but after watching Manning constantly fool defensive players with shouted signals and arm waving, I think this comment is the most important thing to know about Peyton:

"The one thing Bruschi learned in 11 years of butting heads with Manning was to try to not listen to him at the line of scrimmage. "Sometimes you think he says a certain city call," Bruschi said, "and you think you have that play down..."So a lot of it is nonsense he's talking about.""

And I believe the second most important point comes from the Ravens:

""I didn't trick them," Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees acknowledged. "We out-executed them. The thing that too many people try to do is to be too coy. It doesn't work."

That is pretty much what Pete preaches all the time, "It's not about them, it's about us." "If we play our game, nobody can beat us."

I think man coverage against Denver and playing the "Nascar package" against New England would have a lot of success. But you're never going to shut these guys down, you just have to beat them up and force them to make mistakes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9982910/secrets-success-peyton-manning-tom-brady

Wooweee awesome post!

Believe it or not versus payton I'm most worried about the best corner in the league, name of Sherman. Sherman is a smart guy a lot of his game is based off of his intelligence. But for manning its all based on his intelligence. Manning has a wet noodle for an arm, perhaps the weakest arm in the entire NFL! I'm positive there are a lot of WRs with better arms than manning, Joe Webb from minnisota definitely has a better arm. Still Manning's production is out of this world and its based on his intelligence. So where Sherman may get burned is by trying to be too smart and outwitting mmanning. Manning may use it against Sherman by tricking Sherman into believing he knows what's coming.

As for breed he is excellent but I'm not worried. Saints are the most overrated team in the NFL. I expect a blowout this Monday.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Constant pass rush and pressure on Drew Brees. O'Brien Schofield hasn't played much recently, I'd like to see a healthy rotation to get the pass rushers in the game Clemons, Avril, Irvin, and Schofield. Keep the middle pass rush strong with Bennett and McDonald. They may not get sacks but consistent pressure will help. Don't give Brees time to get it out to his receivers. This is the game that a good pass rush is important. It would help out the secondary. I know that Maxwell and Lane are capable, but any help they can get is a plus.

General Manager

Reaction score
Pressure will be required and I have zero doubt that pressure will be applied. I really can't find a scenario that favors the Saints Monday except for the Refs. It will be cold and inhospitable. Seattle will destroy them.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":o3j057ma said:
RolandDeschain":o3j057ma said:
bestfightstory":o3j057ma said:
I will bet on Seattle -7.5 or less.

I really think we come out and blow their doors off.
I've said it a couple of times recently, too. We finally have our tackles back, and now we have a healthy Harvin. It's in our house, and the Saints looked QUITE pedestrian tonight @ Atlanta.

We are winning by 3 scores or more. Calling it now. 21+ point win.
Normally I'd agree but I think the zebras will keep the game closer than that.

It is a pattern we have seen. I hope it is just my imagination and that the Hawks just lay the lumber. But if they get roughing calls for standard hits I am going to want to see them count. That means getting what we paid for.

Right now I LOVE the pass rush. The sacks are coming from different players and adding up, but it is the hurries and the ball slapping that Avril and Clem that can really help.

Brees is going to get his, the guy is going to be active. Our guys need that ball coming out quicker and under duress. We have done it before, but rather than worry about Graham, focus on Brees himself and keep those passes shorter.

This game is a Beast Mode game.