How do we slow down Drew Brees?

Zorn76

Reaction score
The Saints reminded everybody tonight in Atlanta that they're a different team on the road. They were plenty motivated to crush their divisional rival - with playoff seeding alone as a huge factor - yet only won by 4 points after being up by just 1 at half.

Ryan didn't throw for any TD's, but was 30-39 (76%) and Jackson ran pretty well (16/63yds/3.9avg/1 TD).

Expect plenty of Beast Mode. We had some nice, clock burning drives last game. And we already know the best way to limit Brees is to keep him off the field as long as possible. I like our chances.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I will bet on Seattle -7.5 or less.

I really think we come out and blow their doors off.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Zorn76":34j2a5s1 said:
The Saints reminded everybody tonight in Atlanta that they're a different team on the road. They were plenty motivated to crush their divisional rival - with playoff seeding alone as a huge factor - yet only won by 4 points after being up by just 1 at half.

Ryan didn't throw for any TD's, but was 30-39 (76%) and Jackson ran pretty well (16/63yds/3.9avg/1 TD).

Expect plenty of Beast Mode. We had some nice, clock burning drives last game. And we already know the best way to limit Brees is to keep him off the field as long as possible. I like our chances.

Just something to keep in mind that the Secondary that Brees was throwing against has gotten LIT UP this year. Some numbers to put things in to context ...

Falcons Pass Defense ...
Is allowing an average of 251.2 Passing Yards/Game (23rd in NFL)
Has allowed 67.4% of Passes against them to be completed (31st in NFL)
Has given up 21 Passing TD's (30th in NFL ... or 3rd Most in the league if you prefer)
Has allowed 36 Passes of 20 Yards or More (26th in NFL)
Is allowing an average QB Rating against them of 106.7 (32nd -- very worst in NFL)

Now Brees is a heck of a good QB -- he's definitely one of those tilt the field types. But going up against one of the worst defenses in the league, you'd certainly expect a bit more from that Saints Offense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bestfightstory":yknupkc1 said:
I will bet on Seattle -7.5 or less.

I really think we come out and blow their doors off.
I've said it a couple of times recently, too. We finally have our tackles back, and now we have a healthy Harvin. It's in our house, and the Saints looked QUITE pedestrian tonight @ Atlanta.

We are winning by 3 scores or more. Calling it now. 21+ point win.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I give them some slack given it's a divisional game and against Atlanta. They have serious hatred and history going on in that rivalry. With that said I see 45-20 Seahawks December 2nd.

Tical21

Reaction score
Of course, mix it up is the logical answer. Try to keep Brees uncomfortable. But to me, Brees is changing a little bit. There is a reason Graham and the backs have so many catches.

You can't play man on early downs or 3rd and short. They'll stack formations and run rubs for easy nickel-and-dime catches all day long. First thing first, you have to completely shut down their running game. When they run effectively, they live in third and short, and become unstoppable. Second, and I'm going to get tomatoes for this, you have to play zone on early downs. You hope you make Brees think long enough so you can get pressure or force some errant throws. You need to create third and long, then you can play man and blitz or bring Kam down to be a robber keying on Graham, and the swing passes won't pick up first downs.

To recap:

1. Shut down the run, period.
2. Zone on early downs--we will win some and lose some
3. Man on 3rd and long

Reaneypark

Reaction score
If we show up and play our game, we'll win. I really think the Saints can't beat us unless we really, really help them do so.

Largent80

Reaction score
How many times did you hear that stupid...Iiiiitsssss Thiiiiirrrrrd Dowwwwwwwwn...last night?

Atlantas D ain't very good. Our O is clicking and I think we kick their asses.

themunn

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":lzbwucjb said:
I give them some slack given it's a divisional game and against Atlanta. They have serious hatred and history going on in that rivalry. With that said I see 45-20 Seahawks December 2nd.

and a short week on the road

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
themunn":2obw8g79 said:
KCHawkGirl":2obw8g79 said:

The Saints do not play again until the Monday night matchup against us. There is no, "short week" for them. They essentially have ten days to prepare for the game on December 2nd.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I think we're gonna miss BB this game, I was hoping he'd be around to shadow Jimmy Graham

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2j2pycmw said:
If we show up and play our game, we'll win.

I always find statements like this funny, because for the most part any team (outside of the Jags) that shows up and plays their game, will win.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think the key is limiting the defensive penalties, especially on third down. The Hawks cannot afford to give away yards, especially on plays that would otherwise lead to a punt. They are going to be jacked up for the game but they have to play disciplined football.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2u485dt9 said:
I think we're gonna miss BB this game, I was hoping he'd be around to shadow Jimmy Graham

Yep. Would have loved to have seen this. Graham is a freak.

Couple if thoughts:
1. Have Earl cheat towards Graham all game, leave the CBs in man, hope for the line to get pressure. Kam in zone read near the Line (cover Graham in the middle, short routes and stuff the runs. LBs key in the outlet passes.

2. Maxwell on Graham. And hope for the best. He will get burned, but he will make plays. Difference between us and everyone else is we have a Earl and they don't. Minimize huge plays.

3. Front 4 needs to bring the heat baby! Red and Avril were great last week. Bennett and Clem need big games.

4. Fart

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":11yu7ai7 said:
themunn":11yu7ai7 said:
KCHawkGirl":11yu7ai7 said:

The Saints do not play again until the Monday night matchup against us. There is no, "short week" for them. They essentially have ten days to prepare for the game on December 2nd.
He was talking about the Atlanta game being on a short week not our upcoming tilt.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Jam the WR's, upset his timing, and get in his face.

Pretty much everything we do.

Hawknight

Reaction score
ivotuk":29ctgle4 said:
The Falcons have done it before although not very successfully this year. But it looks like their philosophy was pressure and if I understand the article correctly, pressure up the middle.

"Moore said while the sacks weren't there, the pressure was and it got Brees moving, which started their pick party.

“It was one of those things where we got Drew out of the pocket," Moore said. "He’s a great mobile QB and you can’t take that from him, but that also limited his time to sit back in the pocket. He’ll pick you apart if you let him sit back there. If he’s on the move, you can jump some routes coming from the backside where he can’t see you"

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...ew-Brees/0da7d9b9-c1ba-4b09-b7fc-df5b63f793a8

New England beat them by covering Jimmy Graham according to an article on SBNation and that seems to be the consensus from other articles I read on the subject:

"Graham has been so good this year that even after failing to catch a pass in Week 6, he is still the NFL's leader in receiving yards with 593. He also has six touchdowns on the year. He's the first player to really get the attention who isn't named Drew Brees when it comes to the Saints offense, and for good reason.

So if Graham has managed games of 179, 134, 100 and 135 yards this season, how did the Patriots hold him to zero? They bucked the trend of keeping their cornerbacks outside and on receivers, and put one on Graham for the entirety of the game. Rather they had a corner on Graham until he injured himself in the fourth quarter.

New England took cornerback Aqib Talib and stuck him to Graham for much of the first half."

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/16/4843412/patriots-vs-saints-review-jimmy-graham-aqib-talib

Looking around for info on slowing down Brees, I also found a great article where one of the best corners ever, Ty Law gives advice on facing Peyton Manning, advice that might be applicable to Brees. And we are likely to see Peyton in New York, so some info on him is good food for thought :D

I'm not sure if Drew plays these games at the LOS, but after watching Manning constantly fool defensive players with shouted signals and arm waving, I think this comment is the most important thing to know about Peyton:

"The one thing Bruschi learned in 11 years of butting heads with Manning was to try to not listen to him at the line of scrimmage. "Sometimes you think he says a certain city call," Bruschi said, "and you think you have that play down..."So a lot of it is nonsense he's talking about.""

And I believe the second most important point comes from the Ravens:

""I didn't trick them," Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees acknowledged. "We out-executed them. The thing that too many people try to do is to be too coy. It doesn't work."

That is pretty much what Pete preaches all the time, "It's not about them, it's about us." "If we play our game, nobody can beat us."

I think man coverage against Denver and playing the "Nascar package" against New England would have a lot of success. But you're never going to shut these guys down, you just have to beat them up and force them to make mistakes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9982910/secrets-success-peyton-manning-tom-brady

Feed Lynch a few bags of Skittles and throw him at the Saints....

Reaneypark

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1mhb97nm said:
Reaneypark":1mhb97nm said:
If we show up and play our game, we'll win.

I always find statements like this funny, because for the most part any team (outside of the Jags) that shows up and plays their game, will win.

I meant that we're good enough, especially at home to not worry about doing some crazy "scheme" or hope all the breaks go our way to get a W. We just need to play like we have most of the year at home (aside from the first half against Tampa) to win this game.

jblaze

Reaction score
I say we just line em up man on man, smack em in the mouth and play strength against strength. I want a physical game and a smack em the mouth attitude. I think with our home field advantage and the noise, a little physical play can take them out of their rhythm and then they're pressing a little at that point and it becomes easier. Make sure we set the tone early with a big hit or big sack and get them questioning themselves a bit.

The mental game here will be key imo.