How do we slow down Drew Brees?

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I like the man on man and smack em in the mouth as well, particularly on Jimmy Graham. The Saints have their own concerns with us as well. Stat I found amazing.
Total points scored this year :
Saints 305
Seattle 306

A

Anonymous

Seriously, I think a few key sacks in the first 10 minutes of play outta do it.

What? I'm just sayin...

quail man

Reaction score
Zorn76":1wbdk34x said:
The Saints reminded everybody tonight in Atlanta that they're a different team on the road. They were plenty motivated to crush their divisional rival - with playoff seeding alone as a huge factor - yet only won by 4 points after being up by just 1 at half.

Ryan didn't throw for any TD's, but was 30-39 (76%) and Jackson ran pretty well (16/63yds/3.9avg/1 TD).

Expect plenty of Beast Mode. We had some nice, clock burning drives last game. And we already know the best way to limit Brees is to keep him off the field as long as possible. I like our chances.

3 games in 11 days and coming off a physical win against the 49ers. now they have 11 days to prep and rest up.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Simple, press coverage and you make Drew Brees run for his life which is something he does not like to do.

GO HAWKS!!!

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":fpj62i8h said:
CurryStopstheRuns":fpj62i8h said:
themunn":fpj62i8h said:
KCHawkGirl":fpj62i8h said:
I give them some slack given it's a divisional game and against Atlanta. They have serious hatred and history going on in that rivalry. With that said I see 45-20 Seahawks December 2nd.

and a short week on the road

The Saints do not play again until the Monday night matchup against us. There is no, "short week" for them. They essentially have ten days to prepare for the game on December 2nd.
He was talking about the Atlanta game being on a short week not our upcoming tilt.

When did we stop talking about our game and begin with the Falcons? Why are the Falcons relevant?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Not that it matters now, but I would NOT want Browner on Jimmy Graham. New Orleans is the exact kind of passing offense that reminds everyone how burnable Browner is on the intermediate/long stuff.

Tical21

Reaction score
There couldn't be a worse plan than living in press man against this team. Brees is going to absolutely eat that up and pass for 500. What the Saints do better than any one thing right now is get Graham and Sproles in man situations and let them do the rest. We don't want Sproles catching 10 balls against KJ Wright and Bruce Irvin. We don't want Jimmy Graham in man against ANYBODY besides maybe Sherman. I play zone, creep up, and make them use their WR's if they want to win.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
hawker84":ckxxhdge said:
Keep him on the sidelines and chew the clock with Lynch. you're not going to stop Bree's, just try to limit the damage and hold them to fieldgoals?

This is how it is done.

However I get the feeling that scoring will be coming fairly easily in comparison to previous weeks.

No stupid 3rd down penalties. If they are going to hit Brees and get called for 15 yards MAKE IT COUNT.

Punish him and stop the run, keeping the Saints one dimensional. Then pick him off. I actually like Thurmond in coverage for this game, Browner is a playmaker but Thurmond might be a better "cover" guy.

Pound them into the ground and never let up on the noise.

SirSaint_1963

Reaction score
Wartooth":1djk5do6 said:
After watching the Saints struggle AGAIN to win a game against a team the Hawks dismantled.
I'm thinking it is the Saints that need to figure out a way to try and stop Russell!
The EXPERTS keep going on about this amazing Saints defense, but I don't see it.
I've watched their last two games, and came away unimpressed.
If the Saints and Brees come into the Clink, and play the way they have the last 2 weeks...
I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks hang 40 plus on them!

You mean the game against a division rival which we played in 4 days after holding the niners to only 80 rushing yards and gave them 17 points off 3 of our turnovers? This defense is balling please don't kid yourself! We lose 80 percent of our games this year if they don't play the way they've been playing!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Edge pressure , keep gaps maintained mix in some stunts.
I expect a lot of seams and slants. I suspect will play a lot of 2 deep.

Bend don't break. Sproles does not scary me as much as the passing game

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham still being called a tight end is funny. He lines up at wr like 75% of the time. He's a really big receiver. Aqib Talib rendered him meaningless in the Pats game. Put Sherm on him and move on. Pretty easy to me.

stack600

Reaction score
It's been said many times, many ways(ok it's not christmas yet) Best way to beat Brees is Keep Him On The Bench !!!!. Long sustained drives, chewing up the clock. Beast and more Beast.
And Pressure-pressure-pressure and man up, stay out of cover 2-3 zones. And bust everybody coming of the line be it TE-WR or Sproles. Punch em in the mouth a few times, A couple good hits by E.T. or Cam, will make em think coming across the middle. Basically Physical and make every play hurt!!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":at934dz3 said:
bestfightstory":at934dz3 said:
I will bet on Seattle -7.5 or less.

I really think we come out and blow their doors off.
I've said it a couple of times recently, too. We finally have our tackles back, and now we have a healthy Harvin. It's in our house, and the Saints looked QUITE pedestrian tonight @ Atlanta.

We are winning by 3 scores or more. Calling it now. 21+ point win.
Normally I'd agree but I think the zebras will keep the game closer than that.

enamel

Reaction score
Browner on Graham would have been a great assignment. Kam was pretty hit and miss in man coverage against the 54 year old Tony Gonzales. If Pete is too focused on "play our game" to move Sherman inside on Graham, I'd expect to see bracket coverage from Kam and the LB from whatever side Graham comes from. The trouble there is Graham can stretch the field so fast that he can take that underneath LB with him upfield and leave a lot of room for Sproles checkdowns. None of their WR's scare me. It's the either-or nature of Graham and Sproles that I see being a big challenge for us.

hawk45

Reaction score
Tical21":2t9abjsw said:
There couldn't be a worse plan than living in press man against this team. Brees is going to absolutely eat that up and pass for 500. What the Saints do better than any one thing right now is get Graham and Sproles in man situations and let them do the rest. We don't want Sproles catching 10 balls against KJ Wright and Bruce Irvin. We don't want Jimmy Graham in man against ANYBODY besides maybe Sherman. I play zone, creep up, and make them use their WR's if they want to win.

If we have Sherman follow Graham around all game like the Pats did we might do alright playing man coverage. Aqib Talib is 6'2 202 lbs, Sherm is 6'3 195, physically not that different so it might be an option they are considering. I'll live with Sproles matched up on a linebacker. Although couldn't the rest of the D play zone with Sherm being in man coverage on Graham?

But yeah, if we're not going to use Sherman on Graham then man coverage is a bad plan. Graham vs. safety or LB and Sproles vs. LB on every play, think we'd get eaten alive that way.

Zorn76

Reaction score
quail man":2aj2s0us said:
Zorn76":2aj2s0us said:
The Saints reminded everybody tonight in Atlanta that they're a different team on the road. They were plenty motivated to crush their divisional rival - with playoff seeding alone as a huge factor - yet only won by 4 points after being up by just 1 at half.

Ryan didn't throw for any TD's, but was 30-39 (76%) and Jackson ran pretty well (16/63yds/3.9avg/1 TD).

Expect plenty of Beast Mode. We had some nice, clock burning drives last game. And we already know the best way to limit Brees is to keep him off the field as long as possible. I like our chances.

3 games in 11 days and coming off a physical win against the 49ers. now they have 11 days to prep and rest up.

Uh huh. And the Seahawks will have had 15 days of rest and prep time by kickoff. Works both ways, and we're the home team, which gives us a clear advantage right there.

Boutte

Reaction score
lobohawk":3dpe07fa said:
Just don't hit him in the upper chest or you'll get a fine and flag.

Yeah no foul here!
brees%20sacked2-L.gif