How much will Russell's contract be?

dutchman063

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3pd1cut0 said:
Penman96":3pd1cut0 said:
I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

You guys are joking right?

Wilson will be getting no less than $20M/year.

^^this... Joe Flacco got 20mil for his superbowl win

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
mikeak":3ib6q2vf said:
SonicHawk":3ib6q2vf said:
If the Seahawks are offering 14/15 and he gets a $20M offer from the Jags or Raiders you better believe he would leave.

You realize that's like a $30M dollar difference over 6 years? If they offer $1M more... that's still $1M dollars a year.

I respect RW and I know he wants to be here, but he's not an idiot.

California has 13.3% income tax for millionaries..... Most other states will have significant income tax leaving only very few teams that would actually have to match his salary to be competitive and all others would have to be quite a bit higher

I truly believe he takes $16-$18 million compared to available $20 million on the market. Yes lots of money less, yes still a huge salary but enough make a point

Go look at Brady (yes he is already beyond rich) but he did it to keep the team together and then NE gave him the big finger and got rid of Welker but that is a different story

True that, WA State is financially advantageous for players.

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
dutchman063":1vdivhrg said:
SonicHawk":1vdivhrg said:
Penman96":1vdivhrg said:
I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

And the Ravens look nowhere near competing for anything anytime soon.

dutchman063

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":1oaz3rzm said:
dutchman063":1oaz3rzm said:
SonicHawk":1oaz3rzm said:
Penman96":1oaz3rzm said:

HAHAHA

And the Ravens look nowhere near competing for anything anytime soon.

yup... and neither will seattle in a couple years if it happens

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The Ravens had a lot more issues than cap space.

Retirements, older players, significant injuries, under performing running game, losing key free agents.

mikeak

Reaction score
^Flacco's contract is pretty small for this year - just like Harvin's wasn't very large for this year.

They cleaned house because they had a bunch of old players and decided it was a good time to rebuild

EDIT: SonicHawk beat me to the punch

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
As much as I hate to bring up his name, isn't Kaep due for a new contract this year? That will be a good barometer of Russel's future worth IMO. Hate Kape if you like but he represents the same group of guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill, Foles etc. And at this point Russel is head and shoulders above all of them! Foolish to think he would sign for much less than $20M at this point.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3bxahozs said:
As much as I hate to bring up his name, isn't Kaep due for a new contract this year? That will be a good barometer of Russel's future worth IMO. Hate Kape if you like but he represents the same group of guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill, Foles etc. And at this point Russel is head and shoulders above all of them! Foolish to think he would sign for much less than $20M at this point.

My guess is they will either franchise him in 2015 or give him an extension this off-season at a similar price. Something around ~$17M a year. I think Wilson will get more than Kaep though.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":28ht3hga said:
We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

Maybe but without him you can forget about more superbowls, and the message to other FAs, we want you to perform at an MVP level for cheap, when you deserve to get paid we do not want you. Not a good idea, You can bet the whole NFL will be watching how we handle Rw, RS, and ET.

Penman96

Reaction score
This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
mikeak":3f4iws2o said:
You guys must not be serious. He is a $20m / year contract

This guy agrees with me

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... llion-man/

WITH THAT SAID

You can put it in the archive - Russell Wilson signs for $16-$18 million because he wants to set an example and save money for people around him. Sherman signs for $500k less than market value for the same reason but he won't take as much of a discount - more something "symbolic"
That's scary.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
SonicHawk":10azy9pg said:
Evil_Shenanigans":10azy9pg said:

My guess is they will either franchise him in 2015 or give him an extension this off-season at a similar price. Something around ~$17M a year. I think Wilson will get more than Kaep though.

Yeah no question he will be worth more than Kaep. Newton is also due to renew.

Kaep: 7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $5.129 million contract. The deal contains $3.8 million guaranteed, including a $2.26 million signing bonus. 2014: $973,766, 2015: Free Agent

Newton: 7/29/2011: Signed a four-year, $22,025,498 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $14,518,544 signing bonus. 2014: $3,378,477, 2015: Free Agent

Luck:7/19/2012: Signed a four-year, $22.1 million contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $14.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2,399,818, 2015: $3,404,727, 2016: Free Agent

Griffin:7/18/2012: Signed a four-year, $21,119,098 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $13,799,344 signing bonus. 2014: $2,309,918, 2015: $3,269,877, 2016: Free Agent

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":3fmr616x said:
This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.

How did that work for us in 2011? It did not. DO not kid yourself, you still need a stud QB to win the SB, and you are right he does not carry the load like others because they do not ask him to, but there are times he needs to and he does without him this year we do not even make the playoffs. Remember this kid was the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league playing behind an o-line without 3 of its starts for most of the year, without his starting TE for 5 games, without his #1 and # WR, with an inconsistent running game most of the year (Lynch only had 3 hundred yard games, and only 7 were he avg over 4 ypc) and he still had a QB rating over 100, still had over 3000 yards, and was top 10 in tds, top 5 in YPA, top 7 in QB rating, and over 500 yards rushing. So yeah he was a star and without him we would have been screwed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1aaqz6iu said:
Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.

really really you must be joking, in fact your whole proposal does not even add up right not to mention is way low for a starting QB of his caliber.

aawolf

Reaction score
Yeah, don't you think, with the deal we've had for his services thus far, he's more worthy of a big pay day than any first round QB drafted before him? I expect at least 17-20 million a year. I'd be shocked if it were less than that. Sure, he's got the opportunity to be a legend here, but, like anyone else, he's human and one play away from never playing again. He's also got a window of about 12 years, barring injury, to get the most money he can before he's too old to play. I have no doubt he will return whatever investment is made on him. He paid for 22 skill players to go to a camp in CA on his current salary. He is the ultimate team player, but he isn't stupid.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Penman96":2q9zr806 said:

You think this team would have won the SB if it wasn't for RW's performance? It certainly wasn't the effectiveness of our run game yesterday. His ability to complete perfect passes on 3rd down to extend drives and score points put this game away.

I feel like you're looking at stats as your main argument. RW carries this team, no question. He's worth every penny that Rodgers and especially Flacco.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2o3a2kqr said:
A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

Could be but they also need to improve the o-line and find a big WR