How much will Russell's contract be?

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
$12M a year. RW isn't worried about all that money. Plus contributions in his name to the community, done.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Anthony!":8i4awas8 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":8i4awas8 said:
Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.

really really you must be joking, in fact your whole proposal does not even add up right not to mention is way low for a starting QB of his caliber.

The contract would best the next highest guaranteed money by 7 million dollars. It is about the guaranteed money, not the yearly cap number.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1yhjtx6y said:
12 million a year + 8 million a year to the Children's Hospital courtesy of Paul Allen.

LOL I like this

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seattle_Stunna_MD":5u2bemcj said:
$12M a year. RW isn't worried about all that money. Plus contributions in his name to the community, done.

Maybe it is less then the Franchise tag number of 14 but then again that is 2013 number by the time we can even talk to him the franchise tag number could be much higher.

Penman96

Reaction score
SonicHawk":13qn7ubf said:
Penman96":13qn7ubf said:
This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.

You think this team would have won the SB if it wasn't for RW's performance? It certainly wasn't the effectiveness of our run game yesterday. His ability to complete perfect passes on 3rd down to extend drives and score points put this game away.

I feel like you're looking at stats as your main argument. RW carries this team, no question. He's worth every penny that Rodgers and especially Flacco.

I think Wilson certainly contributed to the win. Honestly though, the Seahawks are lead by a great defense, with a run first offence. It's not a QB driven system. I think Wilson would be successful in any system. However, we only need what we need, and the team is more important than any one player in my opinion. I just want the team to keep winning, and I believe in PC and JS we have a couple guys who can find players to fit the program.

As mentioned in the thread already, it will be interesting to see what happens with Newton and Kaep, these are QB's for probably our two biggest rivals, and I would be overjoyed if they paid them $20 million / year. They aren't worth it. Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Cutler...all these QB's play for teams that are not contenders because these are teams that get so freaked out about holding on to a few prized resources they let the rest of the team slide. It's a losing mentality from GM's that seem to be resigned that they got lucky finding good players in the first place, and they are afraid that they can't repeat their success. That mindset is killing dynasties in the salary cap era.

That's exactly what I'd like to see the Seahawks NOT do. I'd more like a program that consistently wins, while at the same churning the roster and getting less expensive, chippy players with something to prove.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":ws82yw96 said:
A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.
This is why I think he will sign for 15-18 million even though he could get 20-25 million easily IF he was all about the money. I just don't think he is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":c34r9sv4 said:
Bigpumpkin":c34r9sv4 said:
A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.
This is why I think he will sign for 15-18 million even though he could get 20-25 million easily IF he was all about the money. I just don't think he is.

We agree 100% :th2thumbs:

Hawks46

Reaction score
Penman96":112xwa9r said:
We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

This. He's smart and I'm sure he wants to get paid, but if he wants to be competitive, this statement is soooo true.

Look at what Flacco's contract did to the Ravens.

Peyton Manning makes more than our ENTIRE starting defensive unit.

Yes, I know it's market value for QBs but with the quality of QBs coming out of college going up and up, and there are more and more starters coming out every year that are successful earlier, it will start to drive the market down. Probably not in time to help us with Wilson, but it's a fact around the league.

The problem is that crappy teams with bad QBs drive the market. If you don't pay yours, someone will.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":16gc140h said:
Penman96":16gc140h said:
We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

This. He's smart and I'm sure he wants to get paid, but if he wants to be competitive, this statement is soooo true.

Look at what Flacco's contract did to the Ravens.

Peyton Manning makes more than our ENTIRE starting defensive unit.

Yes, I know it's market value for QBs but with the quality of QBs coming out of college going up and up, and there are more and more starters coming out every year that are successful earlier, it will start to drive the market down. Probably not in time to help us with Wilson, but it's a fact around the league.

The problem is that crappy teams with bad QBs drive the market. If you don't pay yours, someone will.

Peyton Manning got $20M/year and look who was in the SB with us?

Calling Flacco's contract the reason the Ravens were bad this year is ignoring so so so so many different things.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I'd say 18-20, but he'll structure it so the cap hit isn't that high. But let's wait on this, a lot can change before that time

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Wilson deserves a big payday, he just won the freaking Super Bowl...Seattle's first...

He should get 16-20 mil a year. If he doesn't, then he isn't as smart as we think he is. If he takes more than that...then yeah, that will hurt us.

You also have to understand that the Niners are going to be a year ahead of us with their roster churn (Kaep's contract)(plus already having an older team). Our contract situation isn't much different than theirs.

Keeping Thomas and Wilson around for the next 8 years will keep us relevant for the playoffs, the rest of the roster will have some turnover, but those are the two guys we can build the rest of the team around.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":pb6kzlha said:
Bigpumpkin":pb6kzlha said:

You're also delusional (don't worry, we all are a bit in this one).

I agree wholeheartedly that he would take less $$$ to play with us than any other team, but it can't be ridiculously less. I'd say at max he'll take $1M less than he would somewhere else. We're all working under a cap so other teams can't offer too much more than us.

He has his family and financial legacy to think about that trumps his wants as a professional football player. None of us think he's stupid, why would we expect him to be stupid when it comes to his contract?

This team can survive a lot of different free agents leaving, but not the QB.

Kakaww

Reaction score
First off, there is a ton of pressure from other players to negotiate fair value contracts. Wilson giving the Hawks a smoking deal well below market value deal would be screwing all his peers. Not gonna happen. May be structured favorably, but he is gonna get paid.

Also, who on a team is more important than the quarterback? If you want one amazing player, you want it to be the guy taking snaps. I would dump Earl and Sherman in a heartbeat if it was between keeping them or Wilson. Nothing sucks more than suffering through years or even decades of drafting and disposing of lousy quarterbacks IMO. Shoot, or worse, having a guy like Dalton that is just good enough to keep, but just bad enough to make you wonder.

The Radish

Reaction score
You folks really tickle me.

I just said in another string.

Peyton Manning got $17.6 million last season for LOSING in the same SuperB owl Russell Wilson JUST WON!

So he should take less money than someone he just out played? Get a grip. And if we win another next season? Then we're really up against it. His agent will say,,,,,,"I can get you A-Rod money if you go somewhere else. And I will guarantee you if that happens and he can get $25 million a year with 4-5 years of it guaranteed,,,,he's gone even if its Cleveland and he'd be stupid not to. He can move back to Seattle after 4-5 years and enjoy the rest of his life here.

He should get fair money for his value, home discount or no. It could very well be his last chance to make big money to last him a lifetime. I'm not going to ask he give it back to us just because of just because.

Tell you what,,,next time you're up for a job review tell the boss you don't need that extra money so why doesn't he just keep it and help someone else on the work team your working with.

And will everyone stop talking about how much money Paul Allen has. His worth has no effect on players salarys. Salary cap is salary cap.

Now I do think Paul Allen spends money on lots of people to be going to colleges watching players upcoming and seeing some that aren't on college radar. That's one of the ways Gonzaga finds silver rated players, they have a great scouting network. they have to do that because a gold player is visable to all teams and trust me almost to a man if a player has a choice between Gonzaga and say Duke, they will take Duke every time because Duke can do more for the player nationally. Mark Few would agree with me. that's why they have such a great scouting team in place.

Same with Seattle. To keep this going at this level Pete is probably going to have to find more blue chip players that other teams ignore like he did to make this team.

:les:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Exactly Radish. The most important part is that Pete and John continue to emphasize the culture and bring in guys that fit. We'll watch some great players leave to get paid what they are able to get. We might see Richard Sherman get a huge contract somewhere else. You can't blame them for being paid. You can't play football forever, you have to make your money now.

Wilson is by far the most important piece. You have to keep him. He's the exact QB for this system. He's focused, he can hand the ball off a million times in a row then be intelligent and accurate with his throw when he's asked. He's mobile so you don't have the best pass blocking line in the world (another way to save cash).

The biggest worries for me are coaches leaving. Tom Cable? Devastating but is going to happen. Ken Norton Jr? Wow, what a job. Quinn deserves a HC job just like Gus Bradley.

Penman96

Reaction score
OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

$15 million a year, for about 8 years, plus huge local endorsements
Live here where I'm loved and comfortable
Have a job I love where my boss is awesome
I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
I get multiple rings from winning the biggest championship in sports
I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

$20 million a year, for 4 or 5 years, plus few local endorsements
Live in Cleveland where I have start over
Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much
I'm on a "team" where I'm not winning and getting hammered
I win nothing ever again and retire in relative anonymity...

I'll just stay here :)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Penman96":3kz7c8cp said:
SonicHawk":3kz7c8cp said:
Penman96":3kz7c8cp said:
This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.

You think this team would have won the SB if it wasn't for RW's performance? It certainly wasn't the effectiveness of our run game yesterday. His ability to complete perfect passes on 3rd down to extend drives and score points put this game away.

I feel like you're looking at stats as your main argument. RW carries this team, no question. He's worth every penny that Rodgers and especially Flacco.

I think Wilson certainly contributed to the win. Honestly though, the Seahawks are lead by a great defense, with a run first offence. It's not a QB driven system. I think Wilson would be successful in any system. However, we only need what we need, and the team is more important than any one player in my opinion. I just want the team to keep winning, and I believe in PC and JS we have a couple guys who can find players to fit the program.

As mentioned in the thread already, it will be interesting to see what happens with Newton and Kaep, these are QB's for probably our two biggest rivals, and I would be overjoyed if they paid them $20 million / year. They aren't worth it. Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Cutler...all these QB's play for teams that are not contenders because these are teams that get so freaked out about holding on to a few prized resources they let the rest of the team slide. It's a losing mentality from GM's that seem to be resigned that they got lucky finding good players in the first place, and they are afraid that they can't repeat their success. That mindset is killing dynasties in the salary cap era.

That's exactly what I'd like to see the Seahawks NOT do. I'd more like a program that consistently wins, while at the same churning the roster and getting less expensive, chippy players with something to prove.

Glad your not GM, you want to win you need a stud QB and for that you need to pay them and while you can say all you want its the systems, the defense etc, we do not win the SB without RW period.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":s55bhwhr said:
MizzouHawkGal":s55bhwhr said:
Bigpumpkin":s55bhwhr said:

We agree 100% :th2thumbs:

I actually think 15-18 is right, maybe even 14 but we will see.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SonicHawk":20cyzxeg said:
Exactly Radish. The most important part is that Pete and John continue to emphasize the culture and bring in guys that fit. We'll watch some great players leave to get paid what they are able to get. We might see Richard Sherman get a huge contract somewhere else. You can't blame them for being paid. You can't play football forever, you have to make your money now.

Wilson is by far the most important piece. You have to keep him. He's the exact QB for this system. He's focused, he can hand the ball off a million times in a row then be intelligent and accurate with his throw when he's asked. He's mobile so you don't have the best pass blocking line in the world (another way to save cash).

The biggest worries for me are coaches leaving. Tom Cable? Devastating but is going to happen. Ken Norton Jr? Wow, what a job. Quinn deserves a HC job just like Gus Bradley.

add in he can light it up for 300+ when needed as well.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Penman96":31g9oc3v said:
OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

$15 million a year, for about 8 years, plus huge local endorsements
Live here where I'm loved and comfortable
Have a job I love where my boss is awesome
I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
I get multiple rings from winning the biggest championship in sports
I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

$20 million a year, for 4 or 5 years, plus few local endorsements
Live in Cleveland where I have start over
Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much
I'm on a "team" where I'm not winning and getting hammered
I win nothing ever again and retire in relative anonymity...

I'll just stay here :)

I didn't know Cleveland would be the only team to want to sign RW. I think there are about half the teams in the league that would drop their starting QB for RW (maybe more) and at a cost equal to Joe Flacco? HAHAHA!

He doesn't have to live in Cleveland.
He wouldn't have a more unstable job than here in Seattle.
What makes you think they would continue to lose with RW as starting QB?
He's already a Super Bowl champion, won't ever be anonymous.

He could also:
Join a team that is maybe a QB away from a championship.
Get paid millions of dollars every year more than your ridiculous idea of what to pay a SB winning QB
Get the same endorsements (plenty of national ones) and depending on the market might even be more notable.
He could turn an average franchise into a great franchise by being their leader.

RW isn't an idiot. Stop trying to suggest as much.

Let's not forget he could sign with a team that won't marginalize his stats by being a 'run-first' team.