Huh. YAC matters. Who would have guessed?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a re-utilization of the shorter game, 'balanced' with the go route 30 yards down the field rainbows that came from the RW3 era - and that inbalance SHOULD mostly be left in the RW3 era - but it's fingerprints were left on our receiving core. IMO.

Tyler doesn't think that catch and hit the deck is a problem. DK also got lazy with his routes last year, and just kinda weird and difficult near the end off the season.

Both Tyler and DK got Russ'ed in my opinion. You can't run an offense on just go routes, rainbow passes and sparkly unicorn farts. Whether the shorter game is a JSN or a TE group revisit - I'M looking forward to having some options in the receiving core. I honestly feel like the pair of them kinda held us hostage (perhaps bad terminology) after the TE experiment was shut down by PC last season after Munich. Gonna be nice to have some options.

Honestly - Tyler is reminding me of SA 2.0 lately. And the fact that he's OK with it - well, that just bugs me. I don't F'ing care if your high school coach told you to "catch what you can and get down". This is not High School, this is not T-Ball baseball. This is the NFL - you're gettin paid.

Ya need to try.
Weird tells you that the Passing Game frenzy has forced Defenses to play
totally different Coverage formations than they did seven or eight years ago.
You are also 100% correct that the "Shorter Game" has way more balance, and the dump-off passes with the YAC players are playing a vital role in today's NFL.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
This is why JSN was important, Seahawks had their choice of any WR they wanted and they took a WR who was billed as an elite Slot WR,

They also took a guy that I think Matt Berry said, if true, once registered 24 MPH in game on the gps. Even if it was 21-22, that is 4.3 to 4.4 speed. It was also said that JSN was advised to not to run or workout at the combine but did so anyway knowing he wasn’t 100%.

If JSN does have at least 4.4 speed and he’s pairing that with insanely elite quickness he’s going to be a YAC monster.

Cooper Kupp in his four first season average close to 900 yards, 6 TDS per year. If JSN is even 2/3rds of that at 600/4 per he’d be the best slot type for the Seahawks since a young Baldwin and Lockett.

Getting the ball in his hands and him being productive with it is only half of the equation, the other half is defenses respecting JSN game and thusly acknowledging his presence. If they got him in man coverage and he has that speed to take top off or if they got him in zone coverage and he using his agility to split the defenders and get to the open spot. He’s going to be a big time headache. If he can command opponents to take him out of the game, you know, it has been said how much that would open up Lockett and Metcalf with better opportunities and that is likely true.

But if JSN is something like capable of taking the slot defender for a loop, freezing a zone read LBer in his wake and then grabbing a safety or two towards his route because your man and zone leverages just got clowned. Just think about how much space that could create in the short to intermediate areas especially in the middle of the field. Think about all those Rams plays where Kupp is doing the same thing but the pass play is going to their TEs or RBs underneath off of decoy pass-protection routes and all of sudden they are open with so much space.

Potentially, JSN is going to help the entire offense not just Lockett or Metcalf being able to get more vertical on the outside with more one on one opps, not just Waldron being able to get more creative with timing and execution based route concepts with his RBs and TEs but think about Walker. The physicality wear and tear of trying to create through a stacked box and defenses being able to meet him before his cut is one of his only weaknesses as a runner. What if defenses can’t entirely sell out because of so much quality to keep track of in Lockett and Metcalf and with JSN being an elite slot, Walker is going to have much better opportunities to be able to be the elite creator he is and perhaps with a better O-line bigger holes to run through.

I just see it. I wasn’t as excited on draft day seeing his name called, I thought it was great value at #20 but I didn’t go through half a year of draft process thinking CB and WR were going to be the 1st rounders either. But I see it now, just think if you added a prime Baldwin or a young Kupp to what this offense already has, that is what I feel JSN will bring.

Waldron/Dickerson have everything they need in place to get their scheme to run on all cylinders, with a plethora of quality personnel and different skill sets at their disposal to be as dynamic, deadly, and dominate as any offense in the league.

A couple of years from now, if the Seahawks try to intercept a big ticket free agent QB by flying their private jet to another franchise’s city and begging for an audience, I don’t think it would get that far, they’d be the destination and the priority. Offense is going to be primed and stacked for any QB moving forward.
I don't know about his speed, but he has astonishing quickness. Trying to describe him, the words "slippery" and "smooth" come to mind. He has the ability to suddenly pivot, and go in a direction you didn't expect him to go. He's going to figuratively break a lot of ankles.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't get the Tyler-hitting-the-deck hate. Every other part of his game is so good, he reliably gets open, he catches everything thrown to him, he has insane sideline body control, and is just a class act all around. Tyler is not a large-framed guy, and I'd rather have him around all 4 quarters doing what he does than lose him in the 2nd quarter to a big hit while he's fighting for an extra YARD. Tyler helps the team most by being IN the game. Sacrifice 5-10 extra YAC during quarters 1-3 for a 40 yard TD in the 4th quarter that only Tyler's magic can create? I'll take that deal 10 times out of 10. Those criticizing Tyler haven't had their bodies crunched by NFL DBs and LBs and haven't missed games in multiple seasons from getting lit up.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I missed the part where someone said YAC don’t matter.
Then lookup any Tyler presser in the last 8 months!

edit: and also see him on Sherman’s broadcast where Sherman (and I love Sherman) basically calls fans idiots and/or uneducated for expecting Tyler to make yards after a catch.

it kinda everywhere in the new ‘modern’ nfl. Just like nerf helmet covers! It’s gonna be awesome!

wait, no it isn’t!

GemCity

Reaction score
Then lookup any Tyler presser in the last 8 months!

edit: and also see him on Sherman’s broadcast where Sherman (and I love Sherman) basically calls fans idiots and/or uneducated for expecting Tyler to make yards after a catch.

it kinda everywhere in the new ‘modern’ nfl. Just like nerf helmet covers! It’s gonna be awesome!

wait, no it isn’t!
Lol. Will do. I thought it may have been a .net genie who made the comment.

I think we’ll see a team uptick in YAC with our #20 pick! 😄

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Lol. Will do. I thought it may have been a .net genie who made the comment.

I think we’ll see a team uptick in YAC with our #20 pick! 😄
Here's hoping for an improvement -

Nice to have some competition brewing for touches in the rooster pen!!!!!

We'll see how a couple of our jaded WRs perk up when someone comes into eat their lunch!

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm excited to see them grow, DK, Lockett, now JSN going up against what could be a great to Elite secondary every day, they secondary also able to learn and get better going up against them. Training camp is going to be heated, who gets burned by whom on both sides and how they react.