Husky fan: true or false

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
davidonmi":13z0bw4o said:
Hasselbeck":13z0bw4o said:
Top of the Pac-12? Guess Husky fans should probably hope Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon fall off a cliff while Rich Rod leaves Arizona (their recruiting classes in 2016 and 2017 are legit), Todd Graham leaves ASU, Whittingham leaves Utah for a school not in the conference, and USC completely butchers their coaching hire.

Washington isn't winning the Pac 12 for a long time. 8-9 wins should be the ultimate goal they are shooting for.
Utah is a senior laden team that is lucking into a good season, Oregon is already declining (who do they have at QB going forward) ASU sucks, Arizona sucks, USC has and will continue to butcher their coaching hires. UCLA is not that good.
The pac-12 sucks, and with a good group the huskies have as good a chance as anyone

Oregon is still in the hunt for the Rose Bowl, but yeah, they are declining. :roll:

kearly

Reaction score
There are aspects of Jake Browning that get me excited. He looks like Tom Brady when he throws the quick slant, he just kills defenses with that throw almost every time. And he looks like Cutler in terms of using the pocket or scrambling (Cutler is actually pretty good in those areas, despite his other flaws). He also shows terrific poise and mental toughness for a true freshman.

But Browning still struggles with distance accuracy and his arm strength just isn't very good right now. I'm really curious to see where he's at after a year or two of offseason training and weight gain.

I think that if Browning can add bulk and arm strength and tweak his deep ball, he could be in a year or two what Jared Goff is today. I think Browning is already a pretty good QB and he looks like the kind of QB that will play on Sundays if he can just fill out his uniform.

I do get frustrated by the playcalling this year and all those boneheaded moves to take Browning off the field for Wildcat plays. And while I'm not totally against bubble screens in college, I don't think they make much sense with Ross out for the season and Browning still having High School arm strength.

I think Browning is a very obvious up and comer in the conference. That said, Jared Goff is the #1 QB in the country in the eyes of many and he's not getting Cal to a Rose Bowl. It's a team effort. I think Browning has a great shot to win the Pac-12 North, but there's a lot of other players (and coaches) at UW who factor into that success level as well.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26x8suwn said:
davidonmi":26x8suwn said:
Utah is a senior laden team that is lucking into a good season, Oregon is already declining (who do they have at QB going forward) ASU sucks, Arizona sucks, USC has and will continue to butcher their coaching hires. UCLA is not that good.
The pac-12 sucks, and with a good group the huskies have as good a chance as anyone

If Whittingham stays in Salt Lake, Utah is going to be just fine.

:lol: at Oregon declining. As others have said.. their upcoming recruiting classes are loaded

ASU and Arizona will reload.. again.. if their coaches stay there, they will be fine.

UCLA already has a Top 15 class and will add to that.. not to mention they have the best young QB in the conference. I hate Mora too but lets be real, they're not going away

And again.. you're also banking on USC hiring a bum. Even with a drunken coach they were winning 9 games .. better hope they really miss here because there's not a more talented roster in the conference.

This doesn't even mention Stanford - who again, if Shaw stays in Palo Alto - will continue to be a threat for a playoff bid.

Even Washington State is improving every year and they have a perfect QB for the Leach system.

Washington isn't going to sniff a Pac-12 title for a long time. Again, this isn't 1991 anymore. Look at the talent on the roster a year ago.. you still weren't close to a P12 title. Start aiming lower.. 8/9 wins a year is great for this program. Of course this is the same fan base that was ready to fire Petersen after like 3 games this year. :lol:

I thought UW looked significantly better than Utah the other weekend, which isn't as much praise for UW as it was how underwhelmed I was by Utah. If the myriad of breaks had flowed the opposite direction UW would have blown them out pretty badly, IMO.

Have ASU and Arizona ever really been all that good? They seem like middle of the pack every year.

Oregon is probably not going to be saved by a few true freshman. I think Oregon is a middle of the pack team going forward until they prove otherwise.

UCLA is a consistent team but not a scary one. I think UCLA is a decent comparison for where the UW program is heading right now.

USC is another middle of the pack team, IMO. That can change with a home run coaching hire but barring that I don't see much mobility either direction.

Stanford has a knack for winning close games this year which masks some decline. I think they are like UCLA, more consistent than scary.

I actually think WSU has a chance to make 2015's success sustainable in 2016 and 2017. They've shown that they can hang with anybody (and lose to anybody). Having a non-embarrassing defense is doing them a lot of good, and it shouldn't be too hard to be average defensively long term.

Petersen is no Don James, every UW fan knows that. But I see a lot of evidence that UW is molding into a high-middle tier team in a conference full of middle tier teams and no dominant program. I think the Pac-12 is entering another post-Don James pre-Pete Carroll era of parity where a different team wins the Pac-12 every year. I think there's a great chance UW gets a Rose Bowl berth under Peterson, but I'm definitely not expecting wholesale dominance and top ten rankings every year.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing to suggest he will be a weakness that prevents it beyond this season, when there are many other weaknesses doing that already. It truly is a team accomplishment, and a QB can be a couple notches below elite and lead his team to a title (or with the right team and some luck, a few notches below).

purpleneer

Reaction score
kearly":14pq5l9j said:
Hasselbeck":14pq5l9j said:
davidonmi":14pq5l9j said:

:lol: at Oregon declining. As others have said.. their upcoming recruiting classes are loaded

ASU and Arizona will reload.. again.. if their coaches stay there, they will be fine.

UCLA already has a Top 15 class and will add to that.. not to mention they have the best young QB in the conference. I hate Mora too but lets be real, they're not going away

And again.. you're also banking on USC hiring a bum. Even with a drunken coach they were winning 9 games .. better hope they really miss here because there's not a more talented roster in the conference.

This doesn't even mention Stanford - who again, if Shaw stays in Palo Alto - will continue to be a threat for a playoff bid.

Even Washington State is improving every year and they have a perfect QB for the Leach system.

Washington isn't going to sniff a Pac-12 title for a long time. Again, this isn't 1991 anymore. Look at the talent on the roster a year ago.. you still weren't close to a P12 title. Start aiming lower.. 8/9 wins a year is great for this program. Of course this is the same fan base that was ready to fire Petersen after like 3 games this year. :lol:

I thought UW looked significantly better than Utah the other weekend, which isn't as much praise for UW as it was how underwhelmed I was by Utah. If the myriad of breaks had flowed the opposite direction UW would have blown them out pretty badly, IMO. I agree here. With Whittingham, they should stay in the group of teams that can be good and never stay out of contention for long, but not exactly an insurmountable obstacle.

Have ASU and Arizona ever really been all that good? They seem like middle of the pack every year. ASU looks better now and moving forward, but still haven't showed that they can be a juggernaut. And to suggest that Arizona is secure anywhere above middle of the pack should seem absurd to anyone paying attention, with or without RichRod. In fact, I'd bet against them ever winning it, and I see them falling off and never again being as good as they looked last year.

Oregon is probably not going to be saved by a few true freshman. I think Oregon is a middle of the pack team going forward until they prove otherwise. Definitely at a crossroads, and could bounce back or fall off.

UCLA is a consistent team but not a scary one. I think UCLA is a decent comparison for where the UW program is heading right now. Could do more easily, particularly if USC doesn't step back up big, but not a program that can dominate.

USC is another middle of the pack team, IMO. That can change with a home run coaching hire but barring that I don't see much mobility either direction. Pretty much disagree here, as I see mid-pack as a floor for them. With how easy it is to recruit there, they should never stay out of contention for long with a coach who just "good."

Stanford has a knack for winning close games this year which masks some decline. I think they are like UCLA, more consistent than scary. Unique program, but a program that gets rolling can overcome them.

I actually think WSU has a chance to make 2015's success sustainable in 2016 and 2017. They've shown that they can hang with anybody (and lose to anybody). Having a non-embarrassing defense is doing them a lot of good, and it shouldn't be too hard to be average defensively long term. It could happen, but I wouldn't want to bet too much on Leach long-term.

Petersen is no Don James, every UW fan knows that. But I see a lot of evidence that UW is molding into a high-middle tier team in a conference full of middle tier teams and no dominant program. I think the Pac-12 is entering another post-Don James pre-Pete Carroll era of parity where a different team wins the Pac-12 every year. I think there's a great chance UW gets a Rose Bowl berth under Peterson, but I'm definitely not expecting wholesale dominance and top ten rankings every year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2g9foc2z said:
Hasselbeck":2g9foc2z said:
davidonmi":2g9foc2z said:

I thought UW looked significantly better than Utah the other weekend, which isn't as much praise for UW as it was how underwhelmed I was by Utah. If the myriad of breaks had flowed the opposite direction UW would have blown them out pretty badly, IMO.

Have ASU and Arizona ever really been all that good? They seem like middle of the pack every year.

Oregon is probably not going to be saved by a few true freshman. I think Oregon is a middle of the pack team going forward until they prove otherwise.

UCLA is a consistent team but not a scary one. I think UCLA is a decent comparison for where the UW program is heading right now.

USC is another middle of the pack team, IMO. That can change with a home run coaching hire but barring that I don't see much mobility either direction.

Stanford has a knack for winning close games this year which masks some decline. I think they are like UCLA, more consistent than scary.

I actually think WSU has a chance to make 2015's success sustainable in 2016 and 2017. They've shown that they can hang with anybody (and lose to anybody). Having a non-embarrassing defense is doing them a lot of good, and it shouldn't be too hard to be average defensively long term.

The problem is, the rose bowl isn't the goal anymore, and hasn't been since 1998, or shouldn't be if you fancy yourself a top tier program.

cesame

Reaction score
Washington doesn't recruit well enough to be a top tier team imo. Their recruiting rankings are consistently in the middle of the PAC 12. I view them as another ASU program. Very similar recruiting rankings. There's nothing in their program that tells me they will best Stanford, USC, Oregon, UCLA etc in the years ahead. Once they start recruiting better they can be in that conversation.

As of right now Washington is ranked 8th in the PAC 12 in recruiting for the class of 2016. The top 4? Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, just as I said above.

The depth of talent in those programs are just better.

chris98251

Reaction score
UW has to land the Lineman from in state that have been leaving since the James era, that's the battle that they have lost and it shows, has since the Neuweasel era.

zifnab32

Reaction score
cesame":wjqolh7y said:
Washington doesn't recruit well enough to be a top tier team imo. Their recruiting rankings are consistently in the middle of the PAC 12. I view them as another ASU program. Very similar recruiting rankings. There's nothing in their program that tells me they will best Stanford, USC, Oregon, UCLA etc in the years ahead. Once they start recruiting better they can be in that conversation.

As of right now Washington is ranked 8th in the PAC 12 in recruiting for the class of 2016. The top 4? Stanford, UCLA, USC, Oregon, just as I said above.

The depth of talent in those programs are just better.

UW is taking a small class this year, probably only 16 or 17 spots. It's actually a pretty good class so far, especially if they can pull in an impact WR.

Even when UW was running the conference, USC and UCLA recruited better. Nature of the game, those schools will always be up at the top of the rankings.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35hgksqt said:
Top of the Pac-12? Guess Husky fans should probably hope Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon fall off a cliff while Rich Rod leaves Arizona (their recruiting classes in 2016 and 2017 are legit), Todd Graham leaves ASU, Whittingham leaves Utah for a school not in the conference, and USC completely butchers their coaching hire.

Washington isn't winning the Pac 12 for a long time. 8-9 wins should be the ultimate goal they are shooting for.

Are you talking about the Rich Rod's Arizona team that was mauled 49-3 by the young Huskies team? Yeah....they're a real threat.

Browning has a chance to be a very good QB. Not sure if elite but he does have potential to do that should he keep developing as he has this year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Considering how absolutely horrible Hasselbeck is with predictions, since he said no the obvious answer is YES

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1jjts8k8 said:
Jake browning is the qb to take the team to the top of the pac12 in the next three years.

I'd like you to look at the question in a vaccuum. Not thinking about how good the rest of the conference might or might not be. Just, is he going to be good enough to make your team elite?
To be honest I don't know. I want to say yes, but the combo of supporting cast dropping passes like there is no tomorrow, Bevellesque play calling, and his own "true freshman" mistakes are making it a rough start.

sc85sis

Reaction score
CPHawk":27iy4gzd said:
kearly":27iy4gzd said:
Hasselbeck":27iy4gzd said:
davidonmi":27iy4gzd said:

The problem is, the rose bowl isn't the goal anymore, and hasn't been since 1998, or shouldn't be if you fancy yourself a top tier program.
"Own the Rose Bowl." -Pete Carroll

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
davidonmi":3hzgotlx said:
Hasselbeck":3hzgotlx said:

Key words? "Good group." I wouldn't call collapsing against Utah the mark of a good group.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Huskies have some interest from a pair of 4-star receivers. Javon McKinley, 6'2", 200 lbs, and Dylan Crawford, 6'½", 182 lbs. Both of those kids should see Washington as a great opportunity. Petersen has shown he has no qualms about playing freshmen, and after watching tape of this team they have to think to themselves that they're as good as or better than any receiver the Huskies are currently fielding. And if they can show an ability to consistently catch and hold onto the ball, they'd be in immediate upgrade.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":bcqgq6af said:
Huskies have some interest from a pair of 4-star receivers. Javon McKinley, 6'2", 200 lbs, and Dylan Crawford, 6'½", 182 lbs. Both of those kids should see Washington as a great opportunity. Petersen has shown he has no qualms about playing freshmen, and after watching tape of this team they have to think to themselves that they're as good as or better than any receiver the Huskies are currently fielding. And if they can show an ability to consistently catch and hold onto the ball, they'd be in immediate upgrade.

Crawford hasn't had his official visit yet, but he's all duck. :)

McKinley just had his visit to Eugene and reportedly it went great, but I think he's going to Notre dame.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SeatownJay":28wtvhh7 said:

Coach Pete started Ian Johnson all his time at Boise State. The bad part about that situation is they put him in a position that did not show his running back qualities all the time. They moved him out and started trying to use him in special teams and tried to showcase his expanded talent. Should have stayed at back and ran all over other teams.

Yes, if the freshman can prove that he can handle the position, he will start over an upper classman.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1w8vz0bo said:
SeatownJay":1w8vz0bo said:

Crawford hasn't had his official visit yet, but he's all duck. :)

McKinley just had his visit to Eugene and reportedly it went great, but I think he's going to Notre dame.

Not to mention, as much as I like both those WR, neither are as good as Dillon Michell. who Saban has compared to Amari Cooper and is still calling him daily.