Idiot trade/pick of the draft goes to:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1po4kbf8 said:
Hawk-Lock":1po4kbf8 said:
Tampa just traded up in the second round and took a kicker. I think we can finally end this discussion. We had a winner.

Ooooo yeah. Trading up into the second to get a kicker? That dude had better win them about ten games by himself next year. And set the field goal distance record to boot. Wow.

The analysts said it was great because he used to tell his coach he was good to go from 60 yards before every game.

Not that he kicked a 60 yarder every game. He just told his coach he could. Sounds worth the trade up. :roll:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":s67ipfa5 said:
pehawk":s67ipfa5 said:
The Seahawks certainly did not want this dude. Hopefully SF thought that and took him though. That'd be the 2nd time (we know of) the Seahawks picked for SF via jedi mind tricks.

Not that I'm saying you are wrong here...but just curious why you are so sure of that.

Well we know they didn't want him bad enough to not risk losing him by trading back but guard is not where we are thin, tackle and center are the most pressing spots. It's also telling we went out and signed two tackles in FA. That has kind of become a tell for us by trying to mask the need. Pretty much like signing Flynn before drafting Wilson. It knocks the dogs off your scent and at the same time provides a just in case, just in case your plan doesn't work out.

I'm assuming you know the other time the 9ers moved ahead of us? How'd that work out?

NINEster

Reaction score
drdiags":3tgn8c9d said:
Public Service reminder. ptisme is a Packers fan, just so some don't think a Seahawks fan started the holy war to pursue. I am sure it would have happened anyway but I guess ptisme wanted to throw a match into the kindling to get it going.

May as well use the picks if the player you want is there. Let the draftniks debate the good/bad trade value. Though I do remember reading about how the Seahawks gave up too much last year to get Lockett.

Ptisme is a Packers fan?

He must be one of those really sweet guys from Appleton you read about that is so nice to opposing fans.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":iioq8xbt said:
Everyone killed the Cowboys for drafting Travis Fredrick at the end of the 1st round a few years ago. He's a 2 time pro bowl center now an arguably the best in the game. Garnett is gonna be a great player for us. Get the guy you want. That's what the draft is about

Cowboys didn't trade up for Fredrick, but I see your point.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2h72v405 said:
pehawk":2h72v405 said:
The Seahawks certainly did not want this dude. Hopefully SF thought that and took him though. That'd be the 2nd time (we know of) the Seahawks picked for SF via jedi mind tricks.

Not that I'm saying you are wrong here...but just curious why you are so sure of that.

He doesn't fit the Seahawks profile for the position or even the round. The Seahawks top picks are always one thing; athletic freaks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Thread Killer":jfmtl6cl said:
Bob Loblaw":jfmtl6cl said:
Everyone killed the Cowboys for drafting Travis Fredrick at the end of the 1st round a few years ago. He's a 2 time pro bowl center now an arguably the best in the game. Garnett is gonna be a great player for us. Get the guy you want. That's what the draft is about

Cowboys didn't trade up for Fredrick, but I see your point.

Also should be noted the last time the 49ers moved back up into the 1st round for an offensive lineman they selected Joe Staley...and that time they gave up a 1st round pick the following year (which ended up being Jerod Mayo).

In all honesty, I have no idea if it was a good move or not. I'm not going to presume that I know what teams between 28 and 37 were going to do. Clearly the 49ers though SOMEONE might take him in one of those spots.

I do know though that Garnett spoke with the team at the combine, spoke with him at their pro day, and then even though he didn't have to attended the local school pro day to speak with the team once more. He said in his introductory press conference that he wanted to tell them that he isn't just a power guard and can play in zone schemes. We'll see if that's true.

The way I look at it though is it doesn't really matter all that much. They essentially just gave up a 4 for the move (and still ended up with 11 picks) and if he DOES develop into a good player they'll now have a 5th year option on him as a 1st round pick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":2tbnk9ne said:
Marvin49":2tbnk9ne said:
pehawk":2tbnk9ne said:

He doesn't fit the Seahawks profile for the position or even the round. The Seahawks top picks are always one thing; athletic freaks.

Fair enough...That certainly seems to fit the guy they took this year.

I think the comment about the Seahawks stems from a scout tweeting the 49ers MAY have thought Seattle or another team might trade up ahead of the 49ers for Garnett. No idea if that's true.

ESPN seemed to not like the move at all, NFL Network couldn't really criticize much with David Shaw on the set, but several "ex-scouts turned media" liked the pick and some loved the player but had concerns about the fit.

Time will tell.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3csfdwqj said:
Marvin49":3csfdwqj said:
pehawk":3csfdwqj said:
Marvin49":3csfdwqj said:

Fair enough...That certainly seems to fit the guy they took this year.

I think the comment about the Seahawks stems from a scout tweeting the 49ers MAY have thought Seattle or another team might trade up ahead of the 49ers for Garnett. No idea if that's true.

ESPN seemed to not like the move at all, NFL Network couldn't really criticize much with David Shaw on the set, but several "ex-scouts turned media" liked the pick and some loved the player but had concerns about the fit.

Time will tell.

07-minister.jpg

I can also count on Pouches.

Il 570xN724019577 mem7

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":112cb37y said:

Just curious....

...You do know you are posting a button for a MURDERED gay activist politian, correct?

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":mnc9uij4 said:
Marvin49":mnc9uij4 said:
peachesenregalia":mnc9uij4 said:

Just curious....

...You do know you are posting a button for a MURDERED gay activist politian, correct?

That's what they want you to think.

M'kay.

Moving on.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":8fmb2ial said:
Well we know they didn't want him bad enough to not risk losing him by trading back but guard is not where we are thin, tackle and center are the most pressing spots. It's also telling we went out and signed two tackles in FA. That has kind of become a tell for us by trying to mask the need. Pretty much like signing Flynn before drafting Wilson. It knocks the dogs off your scent and at the same time provides a just in case, just in case your plan doesn't work out.

According to P.C. Ifedi is going to be playing guard for the Hawks, as a lot of analysts predicted given his struggles in pass pro.

Time to switch gears to some new elaborate nonsense. :th2thumbs: ,

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3g8sa0u2 said:
RichNhansom":3g8sa0u2 said:

According to P.C. Ifedi is going to be playing guard for the Hawks, as a lot of analysts predicted given his struggles in pass pro.

Time to switch gears to some new elaborate nonsense. :th2thumbs: ,

He said he would be playing on the right side. Starting off at guard is not uncommon.

You can take your snide comments to the webzone too. Making them here only proves how tolerant and reasonable this site is and how ignorant and petty the zone is. You know for a fact a Seahawk fan would get banned for a comment like that over there. I was banned for disagreeing that taking 2 mil from Brown was a bad idea and would come back to bite your FO and you know it did. No insults, just disagreeing.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ It's okay to just laugh, too.

In any case, I think putting him at guard makes a TON more sense than starting him as a tackle,. which never made much sense to me. His struggles in pass pro and footwork problems can be much better masked at the guard spot while he (ostensibly) develops. He has a problem with lunging and holding too, so keeping him off the end will keep that at bay a little bit also.

Garnett and Ifedi are pretty interesting, as they'll both likely be playing guard and are really the opposite of each other when it comes to incoming players.

Coming in Garnett is a hell of a football player but not much of an athlete, and Ifedi is a hell of an athlete but not much of a football player.

Will be interesting to see what happens with them, as they were effectively the first two guards off the board, and the only two people who will be playing guard which were drafted in the first round.

nanomoz

Reaction score
^Ifedi will be a right tackle, unless he fails there. He has the physical profile to do it. Cable sounds confident he can fix the technical glitches quickly.^

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ your coach today said he'll be starting out as a guard and maybe transitioning to tackle.

Either PC was lying or until further notice he's a guard.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You know what -- throughout that 4-12 season last year I couldn't help but think, 'If only the 49ers had a new guard'.

Then they would've been REALLY threatening.

I bet Pete and John are in the bunker RIGHT NOW wondering how to combat this masterful piece of drafting.

It's bad enough they already have to consider a way to beat all those injured redshirt players and a solid group of DB's manfully coached up by one of the finest defensive back coaches in the league -- Trent Baalke.

And let's not forget the 'Lynch mob' or the 'seven storms'.

Now to REALLY throw a spanner into the works... a new guard?

Watch out NFC West.

The Niners are BACK.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":o7mh8jt2 said:
You know what -- throughout that 4-12 season last year I couldn't help but think, 'If only the 49ers had a new guard'.

Then they would've been REALLY threatening.

I bet Pete and John are in the bunker RIGHT NOW wondering how to combat this masterful piece of drafting.

It's bad enough they already have to consider a way to beat all those injured redshirt players and a solid group of DB's manfully coached up by one of the finest defensive back coaches in the league -- Trent Baalke.

And let's not forget the 'Lynch mob' or the 'seven storms'.

Now to REALLY throw a spanner into the works... a new guard?

Watch out NFC West.

The Niners are BACK.

They actually DID combat the pick, they selected Reed.

Both the Niners and the Rams are going to have to rely heavily on the run this year. Shutting that down will give us 4 victories in division, meaning we really only need to split with AZ to host a playoff game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1yxl3lhy said:
Coming in Garnett is a hell of a football player but not much of an athlete, and Ifedi is a hell of an athlete but not much of a football player.

Popeyejones":1yxl3lhy said:
^^^ your coach today said he'll be starting out as a guard and maybe transitioning to tackle.

Either PC was lying or until further notice he's a guard.

How do you post some of this stuff with a straight face? Ifedi is not much of a football player? That is a silly statement. If you are overstating to make a point then you shouldn't be doing that. He can certainly play guard in this league. He will likely be able to play tackle as well but I don't think starting him out at guard means anything for his future at tackle. Garnett is locked in at guard so he better be able to play it well. For the Seahawks, since they value position flexibility, I don't think Garnett was a good fit.

The Seahawks value position flexibility along the offensive line. I don't think Pete stating that he will start out at guard means anything about his future as a right tackle. For one, if you start him out as a right tackle and move him to guard then it is looked like as a demotion in the eyes of the player. If you start him out as a guard and he earns the right to move to right tackle then it will be a promotion. Two, if you state it as a lock that he is moving to right tackle eventually and you end up really liking him as a guard then it is gonna be kind of awkward when you leave him there. If you state it as a maybe then you give yourself options.