Idiot trade/pick of the draft goes to:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Teams visit with players they're not interested in all the time.

Schneider and Carroll have admitted they've played games in the past with their visits.

All part of the process.

hawk45

Reaction score
kearly":tyo5zu07 said:
I think this decision to start at guard is also a reflection on Tom Cable's past experiences. He learned some hard lessons trying to play both James Carpenter and Justin Britt at RT as rookies.

This is a really hopeful sign to me. They're going to be in enough trouble having to go into the season after losing 2 starters on the line (we saw how that went down last season). IMO their approach of just throwing guys out there has been a large factor in our OL having terrible, terrible stretches nearly every year. They need to minimize - as much as they can - the impact of the new faces on the line, and that's done by being more conservative and gradual about integrating new pieces.

Along those lines, I want Lewis at center at the beginning of the year as well.

Then, sprinkle the new talent in during years where 2/5 of the line hasn't vanished through free agency. Limit the experimentation to 1 or at most 2 spots on the line, being extra careful at tackle.

I think it was DavidSeven who pointed out early last year that he thought their recklessness with too many positions was going to finally kill a season, and he was on the money. I'm praying they actually absorbed the lesson. I worry that moving Gilliam over is evidence that they have not. I get the "best-athlete-on-the-field" approach but dammit, that approach taken too far is what brought us the Nowak experiment. I think I'd rather they left Gilliam at RT for the continuity and move him over some year when there has been less turnover at the position group.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3em0un9w said:
Popeyejones":3em0un9w said:
:lol:

Said in another thread that I didn't end up going with the Bills b/c they're doing Tyrod dirty and Rex is now stumping for Trump.

Leaving the 9ers cuz of Kelly to then root for Rex would just be nuts.

Decision pending until the last week of pre-season.

Leading contenders Jags or Titans, who I'll be watching every game of in addition to all NFCW games this year :th2thumbs:
*yawn* getting stale and boring Popeye (though I give you props for deciding Rex's stumping for the Doucheald is crap)

I haven't brought it up once since that thread which was a pretty fun one that was actually about football, and a way to stave off the off-season doldrums.

Over the last few months I've probably made 20 posts about the Hawks or other topics for every post I've made that's concerning the 9ers (I've mostly been posting in the main forum).

Agreed it's getting old (as if it were ever fresh), but you're seriously going after the wrong target.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":3vt9z7nw said:
A lot of speculation that's the player Seahawks wanted, maybe thought they had to jump up

Fair trade.

They get some unproven rookie OL they had to give up picks to grab

in exchange for

Us throttling their team into submission forcing their players to literally quit football or beg to leave for another division/conference.

rideaducati

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1m6ak2wv said:

Schneider and Carroll have admitted they've played games in the past with their visits.

All part of the process.

Baalke is grasping at ANYTHING these days. He is definitely feeling his seat warming. He probably had someone posted outside the VMac taking pictures of all visiting players and agents... Little did he know that Pete and John knew it was happening.

As far as the OP asks...Baalke...Garnett.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":8qh2rb72 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":8qh2rb72 said:

All part of the process.

Baalke is grasping at ANYTHING these days. He is definitely feeling his seat warming. He probably had someone posted outside the VMac taking pictures of all visiting players and agents... Little did he know that Pete and John knew it was happening.

LOL.

I dunno...he doesn't seem to be acting like he's feeling pressure. He pretty much did what he always does. Selected athletes with LONG arms. Took big players. Took a guy with an ACL. Took a character risk. Didn't draft a QB till the 6th round. Focused promarily on D and O-Line.

That sounds like a Baalke draft if I ever saw one.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":38zwatjf said:
rideaducati":38zwatjf said:
theENGLISHseahawk":38zwatjf said:

All part of the process.

LOL.

I dunno...he doesn't seem to be acting like he's feeling pressure. He pretty much did what he always does. Selected athletes with LONG arms. Took big players. Took a guy with an ACL. Took a character risk. Didn't draft a QB till the 6th round. Focused promarily on D and O-Line.

Then you're not very optimistic about the outcome?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1wt29575 said:
Marvin49":1wt29575 said:
rideaducati":1wt29575 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1wt29575 said:

All part of the process.

LOL.

Then you're not very optimistic about the outcome?

LOL. :)

Saw that one coming.

Who knows. Idiots on First Take made a big stink over Niners taking 2 Pac 12 guys in round one as if Kelly was running the draft...completely missing that both guys fit Baalkes MO to a "T". Made a big deal over taking Armstead as tho Kelly strong-armed that one despite the fact that they took Armstead last year.

...and BTW...they didn't take another Pac 12 guy with any of the remaining 9 picks.

Just looks to me like Baalke is being Baalke. We'll see what happens.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It was certainly a classic Baalke draft.

WOOPS -- I've accidentally copied and pasted the following link and subsequent quote: http://www.espn.co.uk/american-fb/draft ... teams-2011

"The selection of wide receiver A.J. Jenkins in the first round of the 2012 draft still has 49ers fans shaking their heads. The Niners did not need a receiver -- not after signing Randy Moss and Mario Manningham and not with Michael Crabtree coming into his own. Plus, Jenkins wasn't high on many teams' draft boards that year. But Trent Baalke used the 49ers' first-rounder on Jenkins, at No. 30 overall, anyway. Jenkins played in three games as a rookie and was targeted once all year -- he dropped the ball. He was gone from the Niners the next year and last played in an NFL game in 2014. In fact, not a single member of the Niners' seven-player 2012 draft class is still with the team."

HawkGA

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3df67jmq said:
You know what -- throughout that 4-12 season last year I couldn't help but think, 'If only the 49ers had a new guard'.

Then they would've been REALLY threatening.

I bet Pete and John are in the bunker RIGHT NOW wondering how to combat this masterful piece of drafting.

It's bad enough they already have to consider a way to beat all those injured redshirt players and a solid group of DB's manfully coached up by one of the finest defensive back coaches in the league -- Trent Baalke.

And let's not forget the 'Lynch mob' or the 'seven storms'.

Now to REALLY throw a spanner into the works... a new guard?

Watch out NFC West.

The Niners are BACK.

Now that I've heard English on the radio, I read this with a British accent and it's really funny.