Idiot trade/pick of the draft goes to:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":349am60z said:
^^^ your coach today said he'll be starting out as a guard and maybe transitioning to tackle.

Either PC was lying or until further notice he's a guard.

I think the conversation was about whether we wanted Garnett or not and if we settled for Ifedi. Again I don't think that is the case. We drafted Ifedi to be a tackle and that is the long term goal for him. We haven't drafted a pure guard high in the Carroll era and with needs at tackle and center it would be highly uncharacteristic of them to do it now. The competition at guard is already going to be insane.

Not sure how you get Pete was lying? Seems like a reach at an attempted insult but no big that is pretty common place from you. Thanks for reminding us that even the best of the webzone can still be petty an insecure.

You know Popeye you have a lot of good insight and views and express them very well. This isn't the webzone though. You are aloud to disagree and even argue and debate but it is a Seahawk board so petty digs only serve to devalue you as a poster.

Take a cue from rlkats. He gets frustrated every once in a while and bites back but you can tell he makes a hell of an effort to not get sucked in. He isn't a turn coat even though you can see his frustration with the 9ers organization and I'm sure he would love to see the Seahawks fail as much as you would but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve.

You have a lot to offer on these boards. Maybe just try to temper the digs. I think you would find that folks respect you much more for doing so.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3041gwmg said:
Popeyejones":3041gwmg said:
^^^ your coach today said he'll be starting out as a guard and maybe transitioning to tackle.

Either PC was lying or until further notice he's a guard.

I think the conversation was about whether we wanted Garnett or not and if we settled for Ifedi. Again I don't think that is the case. We drafted Ifedi to be a tackle and that is the long term goal for him. We haven't drafted a pure guard high in the Carroll era and with needs at tackle and center it would be highly uncharacteristic of them to do it now. The competition at guard is already going to be insane.

Not sure how you get Pete was lying? Seems like a reach at an attempted insult but no big that is pretty common place from you. Thanks for reminding us that even the best of the webzone can still be petty an insecure.

You know Popeye you have a lot of good insight and views and express them very well. This isn't the webzone though. You are aloud to disagree and even argue and debate but it is a Seahawk board so petty digs only serve to devalue you as a poster.

Take a cue from rlkats. He gets frustrated every once in a while and bites back but you can tell he makes a hell of an effort to not get sucked in. He isn't a turn coat even though you can see his frustration with the 9ers organization and I'm sure he would love to see the Seahawks fail as much as you would but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve.

You have a lot to offer on these boards. Maybe just try to temper the digs. I think you would find that folks respect you much more for doing so.

Honestly, I think it was just one scout guy on twitter who suggested the Niners MAY have moved above the Seahawks for Garnett, but in the same post he said they may have also feared a number of other teams moving ahead of THEM to get him.

CLEARLY they thought he wouldn't be there at 37 and many observers not name Mel Kiper agree with them, but who the hell really knows. It's all speculation.

I like the player and look forward to seeing him play on Sundays.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3ddqtrw7 said:
How do you post some of this stuff with a straight face? Ifedi is not much of a football player? That is a silly statement. If you are overstating to make a point then you shouldn't be doing that.

That Ifedi has athleticism and intangibles in spades but needs to be coached up on the finer points of playing the position and developing consistency is the general consensus. It was noted in the ESPN profile on him, in all of his draft evaluations, and was even alluded to by the Seahawks brass.

Everyone could of course be wrong, but if you think I'm the only person who has noted this I seriously don't know what to tell you.

His draft value came from what he might be able to do in the future much more than it came from his current refinement as a player and what he did in college.

bigtrain21":3ddqtrw7 said:
He can certainly play guard in this league. He will likely be able to play tackle as well but I don't think starting him out at guard means anything for his future at tackle.

I never made any comment about what is in his future, nor do I have any special insight into if he'll end up being a bust who can't even competently play guard or a Hall of Fame tackle for the ages. He hasn't even put on an NFL uniform yet.

Instead, Rich made an elaborate post about how the Seahawks were signing tackles to hide their intentions of taking a tackle, and how he's certain the Hawks had no interest in Garnett because they need a tackle and not a guard.

24 hours later PC announced that Ifedi would be playing guard.

If you don't say any humor in that, again, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

(BTW: worth noting that I don't have any insight or interest really in if the Hawks were targeting Garnett or not. Like Ifedi he was linked to them by Hawks reporters before the draft, but whatever. I find ultimately self-serving claims of it being impossible that the 9ers were moving up to get ahead of the Hawks to be kinda funny, but I don't really care at all if that's what went down or not, nor do I have an opinon on it).

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks were almost certainly NOT targeting Garnett.

We've been through a million times what they like on the OL and in R1. We even created a formula judging what they look for on the O-line: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/introducin ... t-tells-us

Ifedi was the ideal fit.

And guys like Tony Pauline had reported for months Seattle's interest in Ifedi.

Who knows why the Niners felt obliged to move up for Garnett? Maybe they just 'had to have him' and saw a chance to make the move and eliminate any doubt? I think we can almost guarantee though that the Seahawks would not have selected him at #31.

kearly

Reaction score
It's just my opinion, but I had a much, much higher grade on Ifedi than Garnett before the draft. Had the 49ers traded up and taken Ifedi, and Seattle then settled for Garnett, I'd be giving the 49ers huge props for the move and slamming Seattle for reaching.

Seattle had some connections to Garnett before the draft, however he didn't fit the pre-existing model of a Seahawks player so it always seemed like a smoke screen. When Seattle invited him for a visit, I honestly figured it was just to do a local kid a solid, which is something John Schneider is well known to do. Garnett is a native of the Seattle area and made tweets over the Spring about being a Seahawks fan. Cool thing is, it looks like it got the 49ers to trade up, probably because SF thought Seattle wanted him.

According to Pete Carroll's close confidante Pat Kirwan, Pete was really upset after a player was taken 4 picks ahead of him. Looking at the draft, this player was almost certainly the DT out of UCLA in round 1. Yet there was no mention or hinting at being upset over Garnett. I don't see any evidence that Garnett was higher on Seattle's board than Ifedi. That would be shocking given that Ifedi was remarked as being a "Seahawks kind of lineman" by scouts from other teams, and Garnett didn't fit Seattle's profile.

As far as Ifedi playing guard, the Seahawks already signed JaMarcus Webb by play RT during free agency. Ifedi's long term upside is probably better than Webb's current abilities, but Webb has six years of NFL experience whereas Ifedi is a rookie with a lot to learn. Ifedi is starting the preseason at guard but the plan is to eventually move him to RT when the time is right. I have no issues with this, as Webb is almost certainly going to be the better RT of the two in 2016, and Seattle needed a guard anyway.

I think this decision to start at guard is also a reflection on Tom Cable's past experiences. He learned some hard lessons trying to play both James Carpenter and Justin Britt at RT as rookies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":vh8xvyub said:
It's just my opinion, but I had a much, much higher grade on Ifedi than Garnett before the draft. Had the 49ers traded up and taken Ifedi, and Seattle then settled for Garnett, I'd be giving the 49ers huge props for the move and slamming Seattle for reaching.

Seattle had some connections to Garnett before the draft, however he didn't fit the pre-existing model of a Seahawks player so it always seemed like a smoke screen. When Seattle invited him for a visit, I honestly figured it was just to do a local kid a solid, which is something John Schneider is well known to do. Garnett is a native of the Seattle area and made tweets over the Spring about being a Seahawks fan. Cool thing is, it looks like it got the 49ers to trade up, probably because SF thought Seattle wanted him.

According to Pete Carroll's close confidante Pat Kirwan, Pete was really upset after a player was taken 4 picks ahead of him. Looking at the draft, this player was almost certainly the DT out of UCLA in round 1. I don't see any evidence that Garnett was higher on Seattle's board than Ifedi. That would be shocking given that Ifedi was remarked as being a "Seahawks kind of lineman" by scouts from other teams, and Garnett didn't fit Seattle's profile.

As far as Ifedi playing guard, the Seahawks already signed JaMarcus Webb by play RT during free agency. Ifedi's long term upside is probably better than Webb's current abilities, but Webb has six years of NFL experience whereas Ifedi is a rookie with a lot to learn. Ifedi is starting the preseason at guard but the plan is to eventually move him to RT when the time is right. I have no issues with this, as Webb is almost certainly going to be the better RT of the two in 2016, and Seattle needed a guard anyway.

I think this decision to start at guard is also a reflection on Tom Cable's past experiences. He learned some hard lessons trying to play both James Carpenter and Justin Britt at RT as rookies.

Basically agree with this, but Garnett was also linked to the Seahawks before the draft, and met with them too.

I think it's right to point out that Ifedi fits their profile a bit more (I agree), but if someone just can't imagine the Seahawks taking a high performing, mediocre SPARQ lineman in the first round it's a weird position to take, as that's exactly what they did with James Carpenter.

FWIW I think the Seahawks are also way to smart of an org to be making any decisions based on Jamarcus Webb.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seahawks have only ever taken one pure guard since 2010 (Moffitt).

They've taken countless tackle/guard converts and put a premium on flexibility.

They also only take OL that reach a 9" broad jump. I suspect Odhiambo's bizarre 7-9 or whatever it was is an injury impacted performance.

If it makes Niners fans feel better about the trade, good for them. We can say with some degree of certainty they weren't drafting Garnett.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":cn6wpnjf said:
You know what -- throughout that 4-12 season last year I couldn't help but think, 'If only the 49ers had a new guard'.

Then they would've been REALLY threatening.

I bet Pete and John are in the bunker RIGHT NOW wondering how to combat this masterful piece of drafting.

It's bad enough they already have to consider a way to beat all those injured redshirt players and a solid group of DB's manfully coached up by one of the finest defensive back coaches in the league -- Trent Baalke.

And let's not forget the 'Lynch mob' or the 'seven storms'.

Now to REALLY throw a spanner into the works... a new guard?

Watch out NFC West.

The Niners are BACK.

giphy.gif

I call BS on the dig artist formerly known as a Niners fan (or temporarily on vacation... or whatever) He's just in and out of his seat like the rest of them. Garnett will play for a Chump team while Ifedi will be crowned with Champions.
EmotionalDisastrousIndianjackal.gif

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Y'all are seriously having a conversation with yourselves about the 49ers.

You root for a really good team but are still obsessed with a really bad one.

The only time I even mentioned the 9ers in this thread was to say I had no idea if they leapfrogged the Hawks for Garnett, but that I don't think it really matters anyway.

Your aggressive insecurities are just kinda pathetic, and you're giving me WAYYYYY more power than I have any interest in.

Get it together guys. :lol:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kmf5nqw said:

The only time I even mentioned the 9ers in this thread was to say I had no idea if they leapfrogged the Hawks for Garnett, but that I don't think it really matters anyway.

Your aggressive insecurities are just kinda pathetic, and you're giving me WAYYYYY more power than I have any interest in.

Tumblr inline n0gnqtWYQE1rjkes9

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9qddn1f2 said:

Man Popeye you just can't help yourself.

I dub you Mr Digs.

It is better than being a fan who roots for a really bad team and is obsessed with a really good one.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2f3pmwvf said:
Popeyejones":2f3pmwvf said:

Man Popeye you just can't help yourself.

I dub you Mr Digs.

It is better than being a fan who roots for a really bad team and is obsessed with a really good one.
He's having an identity crisis before our eyes. I'm sure you're aware he's pretending to be a "Bills" fan now. :roll: I think someone should take away his 49er opinion card. Lol

He lashes out quite a bit. We can take it here, but hopefully for his sake he doesn't do that in his personal relationships. Here's to you, Popeye :thirishdrinkers: you crazy chameleon!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
:lol:

Said in another thread that I didn't end up going with the Bills b/c they're doing Tyrod dirty and Rex is now stumping for Trump.

Leaving the 9ers cuz of Kelly to then root for Rex would just be nuts.

Decision pending until the last week of pre-season.

Leading contenders Jags or Titans, who I'll be watching every game of in addition to all NFCW games this year :th2thumbs:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":24r5fs2p said:

Said in another thread that I didn't end up going with the Bills b/c they're doing Tyrod dirty and Rex is now stumping for Trump.

Leading contenders Jags or Titans, who I'll be watching every game of in addition to all NFCW games this year :th2thumbs:
*yawn* getting stale and boring Popeye (though I give you props for deciding Rex's stumping for the Doucheald is crap)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3p7xh9yy said:

I think the Silver and Black should henceforth be known as the Vagabond Raiders. That would be the perfect team for "fans" (uh-em) that temporarily relocate their allegiance.

The Jags and Titans have got some players, man. I have a friend who is a passionate Jags fan. It's tough for him to give RW any credit because I think he's sore his team drafted a Punter ahead of the future Hall-of-Fame QB.

kearly

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2tw5ejwm said:
Basically agree with this, but Garnett was also linked to the Seahawks before the draft, and met with them too.

I think it's right to point out that Ifedi fits their profile a bit more (I agree), but if someone just can't imagine the Seahawks taking a high performing, mediocre SPARQ lineman in the first round it's a weird position to take, as that's exactly what they did with James Carpenter.

FWIW I think the Seahawks are also way to smart of an org to be making any decisions based on Jamarcus Webb.

Teams meet with players that they aren't actually interested in during draft season all the time. I think it is very, very likely this was the case for Seattle, as I explained in the previous post.

As far as Carp. He was a good athlete by the measurements Tom Cable values (bench, vertical, broad jump). He had a 9'+ broad jump which is extra impressive at his weight. He was a Seahawks kind of athlete. Garnett wasn't.

RE: Webb. I know his resume is not very good. But it's better than Giacomini's, better than Omiyale's, better than McQuistan's, and Seattle did reasonably well with all three of those players. For as bad as Cable is at developing rookies, he's been very good at coaching up struggling vets. Given Cable's track record it makes a lot more sense for him to trust a vet than to trust a rookie at RT.

kearly

Reaction score
The worst pick was Hackenberg to the Jets. He is almost a sure bust waiting to happen given his awful completion rate in college and bad tape. It cost the Jets a 2nd round pick, and if he starts for them at some point, it will cost them wins as well.

I feel bad for Jets fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1gcv6ol2 said:
The worst pick was Hackenberg to the Jets. He is almost a sure bust waiting to happen given his awful completion rate in college and bad tape. It cost the Jets a 2nd round pick, and if he starts for them at some point, it will cost them wins as well.

I feel bad for Jets fans.

Yeah...that was pretty bad.

As for the whole "did Seattle want Garnett" thing I think it's just a red herring. Point being that the 49ers thought SOMEBODY between 28 and 37 would take him and that's why they made the move. Seattle just happens to be one of those teams and its a juicier story because they're rivals.

I got no clue if Seattle liked Garnett or not. I'm sure they had some interest in him and thats a reason they braught him in for a visit, but in no way does that mean he was in consideration with their first round pick. We really have no way of knowing that.

The 49ers also visited with Jered Goff knowing full well he wouldn't make it past the first pick.

If Garnett was sitting there in round 3 or 4, Seattle would have had to have done their homework. Its prudent to do that. In addition, you build a file on a player for when the player becomes a free agent down the road.

Long story short, whether people think he was worthy of a 1st or not, he was a very good player at the college level and I look forward to seeing if he can transfer that to the pros.

I do have a question for you Kearly. I said several months ago that my favorite players in the draft for the Niners were DeForest Buckner and Myles Jack. When the Niners moved up I thought they had a chance to grab both. When I said that you said that you really weren't high on either of them. Curious if that's still the case.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1e33e6q5 said:
Popeyejones":1e33e6q5 said:

Teams meet with players that they aren't actually interested in during draft season all the time. I think it is very, very likely this was the case for Seattle, as I explained in the previous post.

As far as Carp. He was a good athlete by the measurements Tom Cable values (bench, vertical, broad jump). He had a 9'+ broad jump which is extra impressive at his weight. He was a Seahawks kind of athlete. Garnett wasn't.

RE: Webb. I know his resume is not very good. But it's better than Giacomini's, better than Omiyale's, better than McQuistan's, and Seattle did reasonably well with all three of those players. For as bad as Cable is at developing rookies, he's been very good at coaching up struggling vets. Given Cable's track record it makes a lot more sense for him to trust a vet than to trust a rookie at RT.

I really doubt they'd visit with a player they had NO interest in, but perhaps a player they weren't interested in drafting in round one. Or even round 2...and so forth.

The 49ers visited with Connor Cook and he said on radio that he got the best vib from them, but they passed on him several times.