If I was the Chargers ...

kobebryant

Reaction score
pmedic920":17jnur8l said:
From what I understand at this point, the kids stands to lose 17 million if he sits this year out.

I don't care what type of deal he thinks he will get elsewhere, it will be hard to make that up.

While there is no guarantee that he'll go to a better employer upon being re-drafted, chances are pretty good that he will.

Not being tied to the Chargers for 4-5 years, and instead being developed by a quality franchise could result in him ultimately seeing more money in the long haul.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kobebryant":nj0sfsco said:
pmedic920":nj0sfsco said:
From what I understand at this point, the kids stands to lose 17 million if he sits this year out.

I don't care what type of deal he thinks he will get elsewhere, it will be hard to make that up.

While there is no guarantee that he'll go to a better employer upon being re-drafted, chances are pretty good that he will.

Not being tied to the Chargers for 4-5 years, and instead being developed by a quality franchise could result in him ultimately seeing more money in the long haul.

Like I said in the part that you didn't quote.

Not wanting to be a "charger" is the only reason in my mind that makes any sense.

pmedic920

Reaction score
OkieHawk":esq3p965 said:
pmedic920":esq3p965 said:

I think he's being stupid, and the only logical reason I can see is, he simply doesn't what to be a "Charger".

I hope it all works out for him but there is no way in Hell that I'll feel sorry for him if it doesn't.

If there are in fact contractual differences in how he gets said money, I can fully understand why he would sit out. Sometimes it is about principle, especially if he doesn't need the money.

I'm hearing that it's the same contract as 3 of the last 4, #1 picks.

He's holding out over 15% of his bonus being paid in March coming vs now.

The kid has to do what he thinks is best for him, I don't begrudge him that.

I do think he's being stupid though. I don't see his value as a rookie ever being better than it is right now, this year.

Again I'll say it, if he doesn't want to play for the Chargers, I get it.

If it's over the money, 15% in March vs now, that's stupid in my mind. He will lose the original 17 million for sitting out a year, in all likelihood his value will drop in a years time.
He may be able to recover that money over time with a better team, but there is always a possibility of something that prevents him from doing so.

We ain't talking about a vast gulf that is separating the two sides.
We are talking about waiting 6-7 months for 15% of your money.
I don't blame him one bit, if it's not wanting to play for SD.
I think he's stupid if it's over the 15% now vs later.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The dumb part on the Chargers part is they KNEW they were drafting Bosa because the top two picks were always going to be Goff and Wentz.

So if you were the Chargers, wouldn't you maybe, idk............run this by Bosa and his agent before drafting him?

IMO this is just a glimpse into why Manning forced the Chargers to trade him, terrible organization.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":waroct6t said:
The dumb part on the Chargers part is they KNEW they were drafting Bosa because the top two picks were always going to be Goff and Wentz.

So if you were the Chargers, wouldn't you maybe, idk............run this by Bosa and his agent before drafting him?

IMO this is just a glimpse into why Manning forced the Chargers to trade him, terrible organization.

I agree the Chargers are terribly run. But I think for the draft they were planning on taking Tunsil, which blew up right before their pick with the mask bong thing.

They are also extremely arrogant and likely couldn't fathom a player not giving into them, so why bother checking.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wc4g2ue said:

I will say that the big winner in all of this is Manning. The Chargers and Bosa both look bad. But Manning looks like a genius.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":5tyhn5ni said:
Sgt. Largent":5tyhn5ni said:

I will say that the big winner in all of this is Manning. The Chargers and Bosa both look bad. But Manning looks like a genius.

That saying something............

Eli manning face

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":kiknzpqs said:

I do think he's being stupid though. I don't see his value as a rookie ever being better than it is right now, this year.

If it's over the money, 15% in March vs now, that's stupid in my mind. He will lose the original 17 million for sitting out a year, in all likelihood his value will drop in a years time.
He may be able to recover that money over time with a better team, but there is always a possibility of something that prevents him from doing so.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't a signing bonus paid...at signing? This is poor business by SD IMO.

knownone

Reaction score
Maybe one of the draft literate guys can help me out a bit on this. How much does Bosa stand to lose by reentering the draft next year? I find it hard to believe a guy can be out of football for a year and still be a top 5 pick, especially given the situation surrounding him.

Edit - read pmedic920 post.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RedAlice":3vsxdzor said:
It's not about the salary.

It's about the percentage of signing bonus paid upfront and the inclusion of offset language.
What's offset language? He gets his money guaranteed is it the dates that he gets it?

RedAlice

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2edrxiey said:
RedAlice":2edrxiey said:
It's not about the salary.

It's about the percentage of signing bonus paid upfront and the inclusion of offset language.
What's offset language? He gets his money guaranteed is it the dates that he gets it?

It's separate from the singing bonus. It has to do with if/when a player is released - if the player goes to a different team and there is no offset language, then the player gets both the original team salary and the new team salary. The teams prefer to have it offset with whatever the new team is paying, the players don't.

Better explained here -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... t-language

The rookie salary structure agreed upon in the new collective bargaining agreement was supposed to make signing first-round draft picks easy. Contracts were supposed to be done before anyone even thought about training camp.

Yet with camps slated to begin in roughly two weeks, nine of the first 11 picks are still unsigned, including No. 1 Andrew Luck and No. 2 Robert Griffin III. For the reason why, one can point to the battleground called "offset language." And that takes us back to the contract of St. Louis Rams defensive end Robert Quinn, the 2011 first-round selection whose deal triggered the fight.

Quinn, chosen 14th overall, has no offset language. Neither does the No. 1 pick from that draft, Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton. This is what high draft picks want.

But in the fourth year comes the debate over offset language. If there is offset language, it allows the team to save money when releasing a player. Let's say a first-rounder is due $2 million in his fourth year. If he's released, and then agrees to a $2 million deal with a new team, the original team is completely off the hook. He receives $2 million from his new club, and the team that drafted him washes its hands of the situation. If there is no offset language, the discarded player receives the guaranteed money from his original team and the full salary from his new team. The original team can't merely allow the new team to pay the remaining guaranteed money as part of the new deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bosa can rot in hell with his mother. Since it's obvious she is running the negotiations and he has a very small "package" at best. Just sit already and get screwed by someone you don't call family. Time to be a man already. I'd give San Diego a 7th round draft pick from 2020 though as a total flyer to see if Pete could screw his head on straight like Christine Michael .....

kearly

Reaction score
pmedic920":2qim65ud said:
OkieHawk":2qim65ud said:
pmedic920":2qim65ud said:

I think he's being stupid, and the only logical reason I can see is, he simply doesn't what to be a "Charger".

I hope it all works out for him but there is no way in Hell that I'll feel sorry for him if it doesn't.

If there are in fact contractual differences in how he gets said money, I can fully understand why he would sit out. Sometimes it is about principle, especially if he doesn't need the money.

The worst part is that he would enter UFA a year later than he normally would, and will lose a year of him being paid at his prime. If he pans out, that lost year could effectively cost him $15-20 million. He's being hormonal like Kam was last year. I don't care how much of a cheapskate the Chargers' owner is... if this holdout gets serious and isn't just an excuse to skip practices, then Bosa is being an emotional idiot.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just curious, can he pull a Galloway and sign at Week 10 or whatever it is? He'd miss game checks I guess, but at least he wouldn't lose the year. That said, still seems like a bad strategy.

mrt144

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21llaf47 said:
Bosa can rot in hell with his mother. Since it's obvious she is running the negotiations and he has a very small "package" at best. Just sit already and get screwed by someone you don't call family. Time to be a man already. I'd give San Diego a 7th round draft pick from 2020 though as a total flyer to see if Pete could screw his head on straight like Christine Michael .....

:lol: Do you have any thoughts on WWE personas?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":174nm8r6 said:
Just curious, can he pull a Galloway and sign at Week 10 or whatever it is? He'd miss game checks I guess, but at least he wouldn't lose the year. That said, still seems like a bad strategy.

Yes he could.

HawkGA

Reaction score
According to this report, GMs (well, 3 of them anyway) are siding with Bosa and think the Chargers are idiots.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/repor ... 57399.html

I'll take issue with one thing in the article. It suggests that the Chargers have more to lose than Bosa. I highly doubt that. Bosa has one shot basically at making a career. What do the Chargers get if they continue to suck? Another high draft pick and more reason to leave San Diego. That is, if they turn out to make a huge mistake, they'll be able to make up for it. It's really no different than having a bust draft pick, which happens all the time. Bosa won't really get another shot. If this ends up screwing him over (as in he never has a successful career), he's done. No more chances.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":37jyapf1 said:
According to this report, GMs (well, 3 of them anyway) are siding with Bosa and think the Chargers are idiots.

I'll take issue with one thing in the article. It suggests that the Chargers have more to lose than Bosa. I highly doubt that. Bosa has one shot basically at making a career. What do the Chargers get if they continue to suck? Another high draft pick and more reason to leave San Diego. That is, if they turn out to make a huge mistake, they'll be able to make up for it. It's really no different than having a bust draft pick, which happens all the time. Bosa won't really get another shot. If this ends up screwing him over (as in he never has a successful career), he's done. No more chances.

3 un named GM's and have to assume others, if there are no names linked can we really believe this is factual in todays media?

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":2segkfal said:
HawkGA":2segkfal said:

3 un named GM's and have to assume others, if there are no names linked can we really believe this is factual in todays media?

It's literally the worst part of sports journalism and the only thing that sustains it in this day and age where we can talk to one another and inform one another's opinions through conversation.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It's a signing bonus. He has not signed so he has. It qualified for the bonus. By holding out he has already missed a lot of work days. It would make sense that the amount of the bonus would diminish over this. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he may not want to play for the chargers anyway.
I don't like the Spanos either. The old man made a pile of money building cheap public housing. He was a slum lord or sorts.