If Lael Collins Drops to 63 ...??

Scottemojo

Reaction score
One thing troubles me.

If he isn't tied to the homicide, and isn't a suspect, what does he know that is so important he couldn't tell investigators over the phone?

There is a possibility we are seeing Rae Carruth redux. Baby momma to be threatening to get a chunk of his new cash perhaps? He certainly is already trying to protect money he hasn't made yet, thus the request to be out of the draft.

That is a lot of speculation, but I can't see how his physical presence was required for an investigation if he is not tied to the killing in any way.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seafan":ch0nujzy said:
The dude is a guard. Nothing to see here. Move along.

In our system with Tom Cable he's an elite and potentially elite LT. He'd play LG early, but let me assure you he's a run blocking LT.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think the risk is wayyyyy too high here. People are afraid of taking DGB because he likes weed, but open to taking a suspect in a murder case?

I don't think he did it either - but Aaron Hernandez once upon a time wasn't the suspect in his case either.

Rob12

Reaction score
The more I think about it...

Innocent until proven guilty. But the motive is there. Eight months pregnant. They broke up eight months ago. He's set to make millions of dollars. The girl sees the opportunity at hand and reminds him that she will get hers. That's a lot of speculation, but this is a message board and you have to believe that the authorities are VERY interested in finding out the paternity of the child. If the baby was in fact his, no one will touch this kid.

I don't know what to think, but I do know .that the risk is too high at this point.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":dhga6fbt said:
I think the risk is wayyyyy too high here. People are afraid of taking DGB because he likes weed, but open to taking a suspect in a murder case?

I don't think he did it either - but Aaron Hernandez once upon a time wasn't the suspect in his case either.

I really like DGB, but to be fair I think it goes a little deeper than weed.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Too much risk today, but with our 4th rounders, you have to consider him then.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
If ive learned anything from Dateline its that its usually the husband......some important info we need, how long ago did they break up. how did that come to be? Is the baby his?

Innocent until proven guilty....BUT teams aren't going to waste these picks. especially after rice/hardy/HERNANDEZ situations

Rob12

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2iu4u61z said:
If ive learned anything from Dateline its that its usually the husband......some important info we need, how long ago did they break up. how did that come to be? Is the baby his?

Innocent until proven guilty....BUT teams aren't going to waste these picks. especially after rice/hardy/HERNANDEZ situations

Broke up eight months ago.
Girl was eight months pregnant.
Paternity hasn't been established yet.

It's a troubling picture at this point, for the reasons Scotte discussed.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ib0fw3d1 said:
Take him.

He's reportedly not a suspect.

What's the issue?

He is not a suspect until he is. Which could happen at any moment. He is off my board.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Rob12":m8bt0qnb said:
gowazzu02":m8bt0qnb said:

Broke up eight months ago.
Girl was eight months pregnant.
Paternity hasn't been established yet.

It's a troubling picture at this point, for the reasons Scotte discussed.

Well thats not great. I would normally say 8 months is a pretty long time for a college kid to be broken up, they've both probably moved on,,,a few times. But the kid situation is sticky.

mikeak

Reaction score
Rob12":270uh024 said:
The more I think about it...

Innocent until proven guilty. But the motive is there. Eight months pregnant. They broke up eight months ago. He's set to make millions of dollars. The girl sees the opportunity at hand and reminds him that she will get hers. That's a lot of speculation, but this is a message board and you have to believe that the authorities are VERY interested in finding out the paternity of the child. If the baby was in fact his, no one will touch this kid.

I don't know what to think, but I do know .that the risk is too high at this point.

Agreed 100% which is why I am in the firm belief that putting him in the supplemental draft is the right thing to do for

1) Him

2) All NFL teams

That is the only way to get a fair picture going in. I realize there are flags and questions about everyone in the draft but this is a murder investigation.

Somewhere I believe that humans have evolved enough to separate items into different groupings. Such as a pot bag in the car investigation is not equal to a murder investigation and doing this once doesn't open Pandora's box. On the other hand I see parents arrested for letting their kids play in the park and I realized that maybe we haven't evolved but are actually retracting into stupidity using zero tolerance as an excuse.

Rant not directed at anyone

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Under JS/PC, we normally have a 4th rounder who doesn't make the roster anyway. I'd be comfortable taking a flier on him at that point (from a draft stock prospective) and no sooner.

The whole situation is fishy. Since I listened to the serial podcast on the crapper, I consider myself a qualified,veteran, badge carrying detective. The timing for this is really what throws me off. If you wanted to kill your baby momma so she couldn't get a piece of your NFL money, why, oh why, would you do it 5 days BEFORE the draft? The ex or current BF is almost always the prime suspect and you'd think he'd have to know that would effect his draft stock. This has decreased the value of his rookie contract by at least $10 million if he even gets a contract. Very fishy indeed.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":27c5z5u4 said:
Take him.

He's reportedly not a suspect.

What's the issue?

That's what I keep thinking. He's not a suspect. He used to date someone who was murdered. I don't see the issue that the media is creating.

I think everyone is spooked because of all the suspensions and bad press for the NFL lately.

McGruff

Reaction score
If I were La'el Collins what I would do at this point, now that the big money 1st round is over and done with, is quietly do nothing. Let the media spend and the teams wonder and let yourself plummet to undrafted status.

Assuming he is innocent, as soon as his name is cleared, he now has his pick of any team in the league, and you can bet he would land a record UDFA signing bonus, a short three year deal, and assuming he plays to potential, a fourth year at the highest RFA tender possible.

He has nothing to gain at this point by being drafted in the 2nd through 7th rounds.

Osprey

Reaction score
Assuming he does get drafted in the later rounds...

Does the old rule of not signing and re-entering the next years draft still apply?
Bit of a gamble, but you know some agent would float him financially on the prospect of a bigger contract the next year.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) There is no-way that I can see that he goes undrafted. Just look at Seattle / NE with the last pick (or if someone else has a comp pick. Please tell me that if you were the GM you wouldn't draft this guy??? There is basically zero risk as the only risk is the pick. You don't have to sign him - you can "negotiate" for 1-2 months while things get sorted out.....

There is just NO WAY he goes Undrafted

I don't know if there is a UDFA ceiling. If not then he could sign for a few millions if he was cleared

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2gsni5lq said:
So, now there is no Crabtree but this turd is OK with you?...Why are all the Hawk fans here ok with taking people that know the difference but still put themselves in these positions?

It makes no sense.

What on earth are you going on about?

mikeak

Reaction score
Per Schefter La'el Collins and his rep has now stated that if he is not drafted in the second round they will NOT sign a contract and will re-enter next year's draft.

I must say I like the move

CORRECTION: Not drafted today - I forgot that round 3 is also today

gowazzu02

Reaction score
rapaport just said on nfl net. he lael isn't drafted in tonights 2nd or 3rd, he plans on not signing if he's drafted later and sitting out the year.