If the 5 seed is locked up in Week 17

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Largent80":31vhzltm said:
We beat the shit out of Arizona is what we do.

3449184-57449-peter-dinklage-gq-gif--making-utqx.gif

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2vx3st1n said:
Hasselbeck":2vx3st1n said:
.. do we rest starters? Do we treat it like a Week 17 game where we have HFA wrapped up?

Or do we keep playing and riding the wave of momentum that would have preceded it (assuming they take care of business over the 3 teams they should definitely handle here in the coming weeks).
It won't be. We will either be playing for the division or one of the wildcard spots against Green Bay/Minnesota/Tampa Bay. I have no idea what Arizona is going to do but we have no choice but to go pedal to the metal.

If we win out heading into week 17 (probable) and Minnesota loses two more games (very likely) the week 17 game will mean nothing, assuming of course that Tampa doesnt randomly win ALL of their upcoming games.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Can't see Pete ever not going into a game ready to compete and win.

The Hawks will want to run the table if they are in that position and to beat the Cards even if it doesn't make any difference to their playoff position.

All in allI doubt we will ever see the team 'not compete' in any game while Pete is the HC.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Pete will play starters. Seems people have forgotten week 17 of 2012, where we also had the 5 seed locked up and Pete still sent the starters out there, citing always compete.

Polaris

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2bt3vbu7 said:
Pete will play starters. Seems people have forgotten week 17 of 2012, where we also had the 5 seed locked up and Pete still sent the starters out there, citing always compete.

Actually if you remember 2012, the #2 seed was there for the taking if the San Fran and Green Bay games went the right way as well. The Green Bay game did, but sadly the San Fran game did not which meant that San Fran won the division title by a half game that year.

However, since both games were played simultaneously, there was no way to tell that the week 17 game would be meaningless in advance.

HawkerD

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":xreo252d said:
Sitting starters seems to go against Pete's "win forever" philosophy. In the past he has said that every game is a championship game from preseason to regular. Obviously the Hawks have to trim down their roster in preseason so he has to play the pecking order BUT this doesn't qualify. If we are to take him at his word, he is playing to win..

Its called a metaphor

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Polaris":35ac102t said:
hawksfan515":35ac102t said:

Actually if you remember 2012, the #2 seed was there for the taking if the San Fran and Green Bay games went the right way as well. The Green Bay game did, but sadly the San Fran game did not which meant that San Fran won the division title by a half game that year.

However, since both games were played simultaneously, there was no way to tell that the week 17 game would be meaningless in advance.

Touche, looks like I forgot that part. Still, I remember Pete mentioning something about how he doesn't rest starters. I doubt he would.

themunn

Reaction score
You go out and flat out DESTROY them.

Maybe they rest their starters - probably not as they'll be chasing the 2 seed.

Now imagine losing your last game in brutal fashion and waiting a week, knowing that you might have to suffer it all over again in just 2 weeks time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkpower":221qrdgn said:
MizzouHawkGal":221qrdgn said:
Hasselbeck":221qrdgn said:
.. do we rest starters? Do we treat it like a Week 17 game where we have HFA wrapped up?

Or do we keep playing and riding the wave of momentum that would have preceded it (assuming they take care of business over the 3 teams they should definitely handle here in the coming weeks).
It won't be. We will either be playing for the division or one of the wildcard spots against Green Bay/Minnesota/Tampa Bay. I have no idea what Arizona is going to do but we have no choice but to go pedal to the metal.

If we win out heading into week 17 (probable) and Minnesota loses two more games (very likely) the week 17 game will mean nothing, assuming of course that Tampa doesnt randomly win ALL of their upcoming games.
Or just maybe Green Bay and Minnesota beat Arizona and totally screw with your assumption?

McGruff

Reaction score
you-play-to-win-o.gif

I know its not strategic in the least, but if you've won 6 in a row to get to 10 wins, and you are heading into the playoffs, you keep rolling. Momentum is a big deal. Its real.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Step on Arizona's throat, put a 50 burger on them by halftime and just say who's next.

We are the DEFENDING NFC CHAMPS, you want to be the Champ, you gotta beat the Champ.

GO HAWKS!!!

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1puamhs3 said:
Hawkpower":1puamhs3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1puamhs3 said:
Hasselbeck":1puamhs3 said:

Or just maybe Green Bay and Minnesota beat Arizona and totally screw with your assumption?

Obviously that'd be great.. but realistically speaking, its much more likely Week 17 means nothing for both teams.

Hence the original topic. Obviously we're not resting starters if the division is in play.

253hawk

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":3g6jt8tf said:
Momentum. We're flat after byes and we'll need a barometer of the cards. Even if they rest we need to beat them once.

Beat them down on their home turf and piss on their corpses while maintaining eye contact. Establish dominance going into the post-season.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
McGruff":18m5ma7y said:
you-play-to-win-o.gif

I know its not strategic in the least, but if you've won 6 in a row to get to 10 wins, and you are heading into the playoffs, you keep rolling. Momentum is a big deal. Its real.

Until Russ is on the ground holding a leg pointing in the opposite direction than it should.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":oo0hs201 said:
Hawkpower":oo0hs201 said:
MizzouHawkGal":oo0hs201 said:
Hasselbeck":oo0hs201 said:

Not impossible.

I was more addressing the wild card side of it (obviously).

I think the chances are slim that we will need to be battling for a wildcard spot come week 17.

Probably similar to the chances of us playing AZ for the division title in January. Slim

Hence my rationale that the chances of week 17 being meaningful are low :)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
253hawk":1niyw2xj said:
NOLAHawk":1niyw2xj said:
Momentum. We're flat after byes and we'll need a barometer of the cards. Even if they rest we need to beat them once.

Beat them down on their home turf and piss on their corpses while maintaining eye contact. Establish dominance going into the post-season.

Can we aim at Arians first?

Guy grates my nerves to no end.

253hawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. I can't stand his old grey-ass goatee, his hipster glasses, or his stupid Kangol hats.

Latest posts