I'm so tired of bevell....

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3w34fvdt said:
I'd chime in here, but I'd just be ordered to list the candidates to replace him that are better.

Whether you need to or not depends entirely on what reaction you're attempting to get and from what type of person you're attempting to get it from. If you want to appease someone who would be oversimplified as a "Bevell hater", I'm sure "Fire Bevell" will suffice and if you're feeling frisky, be sure to include a reference to one of the many times he called a pass play in a short-yardage or goal-line situation. If you're wanting to appease someone who would be oversimplified as a "Bevell apologist", I'm sure anything involving or relating to injuries and/or a lack in execution will be the straightest shot toward their titillation.

However, if you're looking to appease someone who simply wants to read a potentially good idea, then yes, you absolutely, positively need to list at least one single candidate because firing Bevell is only half a plan and the outcome of that plan depends entirely upon the half yourself and others have been failing to articulate again and again and again. My request is not that you should change your position but progress your bloody argument!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":20sg338c said:
BirdsCommaAngry":20sg338c said:
It's almost always easier to be cynical. I imagine we've all been there before and will be there time and time again. Sure, we have frustrations about the offense and the expression of that frustration is therapeutic but if we want our words to go beyond just something that looks like self-serving noise, I'd suggest we start offering up ideas for his replacement. Surely there's a QB coach or two out there that could do the trick for this team.
It's actually easier to be a contrarian excuse maker and Bevell apologist than be cynical.

Ah, you have a point and I have misinterpreted what we're doing when it comes to threads like this. Although it is easy to be cynical, it's not easier than what you're describing which is the other half of this false dichotomy that people are perceiving. What I should have said is that it is easier to be heavily biased.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Bingo. Nobody gives a shit about Bevell. There's no Bevell fans. There's people who blame him when we struggle and then there's people who think or know it's not entirely his fault.

It's just like with TJ! Nobody but maybe jacksonfan really cared whether it was TJ! himself that was good enough or bad enough, we knew we wanted better, even though TJ! himself was only part of the issue. God, this shit is so simple.

pehawk

Reaction score
I for one am not putting the game on Bevell. What I did notice we're some very questionable play calls, at some very pivotal times.

That's a reoccurring theme with Mr Bevell, at least IMO, in victory and defeat. The way the Seahawks play, conservative and close, every drive and possession is paramount. The team cant afford to have drives like the first one, essentially forfeit by throwing twice and going empty on 3rd down.

That was garbage.

As was not going adding a FB or going power run once the 4th string center going out. Or not getting Wilson in space, at all, on the last drive. Instead choosing to roll with the absolute weakest part of this Seahawks team, a traditional drop back passing game. The fade was a horrible call because it's not something the 2014 Seahawks do well. There is no play for 4th and 19, you're right, but your odds are better going to someone who had been in a rhythm that day, not the slightest WR on the team who was absent the previous 99.9% of the game.

You'll never hear a peep out of me if they get beat going 3 and out with runs on 1st and 2nd. You'll never hear me complain if they Hawks get bottled up with Wilson in space, or Lynch from either a power or RO look. I wouldn't say a thing if Bevell ran some clock to give his defense a breather (vs Dal and SD). I'd love him to match his calls to what's happening in the game and curtailed to the teams strength.

None of it is all Bevell's fault. But, the way this team is built, they cant afford glaring "oops, should've done something different there". The Packers can afford those. The Eagles can. The Patriots can. But not the Seahawks.

I couldn't imagine what this team would look like without Cable's rushing attack.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Not gonna take a stand on Bevell one way or another. Many here question some of his call's and that is fine. The play I would like to discuss is the play before the ML 4th and 1.

Super call, and Kearse has at least a half step to a step on the defender. If RW throws that ball a foot or two higher so Kearse does not have to go down to catch it, its a first down easily, and we don't have the angst over the 4th down play.

pehawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":2l1d1wf2 said:
Not gonna take a stand on Bevell one way or another. Many here question some of his call's and that is fine. The play I would like to discuss is the play before the ML 4th and 1.

Super call, and Kearse has at least a half step to a step on the defender. If RW throws that ball a foot or two higher so Kearse does not have to go down to catch it, its a first down easily, and we don't have the angst over the 4th down play.

That is very, very true.

White Devil

Reaction score
lolz...thanks Zeb for the actual stats on the bubble screens, obviously I exaggerated. :bow:

I don't blame the entire game on Bevell, he called a really good game for the most part. My criticism is more in line with what pehawk is posting. It's the redzone calls, and the 3rd and short in crucial parts of the game. His tendencies are to deceive and use finesse...and that's not what this team is.

It still comes down to calling plays for the team you have. Who are the 2014 Seahawks on offense? This is the 3rd season for Bevell to show us what his offense is, and it's not very good IMO. It's not good enough for the slipping 2014 Defense that's for sure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seedhawk":1acv7nzg said:

Yep, Bevell has done some creative things with how we use Russell, and has helped maximize his skill set.

You can go back through every game on every team and nitpick playcalling. IMO if we're unhappy with losses, then equal parts of blame should be handed out. Playcalling is important, but it's no more important than execution, mistakes, and the great equalizer..............talent.

That's my only gripe with the Bevell haters on here, when we lose they act like it's 80% Bevell's fault.

seedhawk

Reaction score
White Devil":1hbskd54 said:
lolz...thanks Zeb for the actual stats on the bubble screens, obviously I exaggerated. :bow:

I don't blame the entire game on Bevell, he called a really good game for the most part. My criticism is more in line with what pehawk is posting. It's the redzone calls, and the 3rd and short in crucial parts of the game. His tendencies are to deceive and use finesse...and that's not what this team is.

It still comes down to calling plays for the team you have. Who are the 2014 Seahawks on offense? This is the 3rd season for Bevell to show us what his offense is, and it's not very good IMO. It's not good enough for the slipping 2014 Defense that's for sure.

Could it be the entire Harvin deal was to move our offense on from Lynch? Transition over 2 years or so. Might explain why Harvin was unhappy, why Lynch was/is unhappy. Didn't work out like we thought so we moved Harvin and stuck with Lynch, however, still leaves us with our offense somewhere between a rock and a hard spot.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cxpuyqp said:
seedhawk":1cxpuyqp said:

Yep, Bevell has done some creative things with how we use Russell, and has helped maximize his skill set.

You can go back through every game on every team and nitpick playcalling. IMO if we're unhappy with losses, then equal parts of blame should be handed out. Playcalling is important, but it's no more important than execution, mistakes, and the great equalizer..............talent.

That's my only gripe with the Bevell haters on here, when we lose they act like it's 80% Bevell's fault.

Haters don't add specific and reasoned arguments. I see a lot of people doing that here.

A "hater" would post similar to yourself, coming in throwing generic generalities, trite phrases and broad sweeping assumptions of intent and behavior.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":3qvyncyf said:
A "hater" would post similar to yourself, coming in throwing generic generalities, trite phrases and broad sweeping assumptions of intent and behavior.

Yeah this is just chalked full of super keen insight into why we're all tired of Bevell

I am so sick and tired of coaching losing games ie. the rams game, the huskie Arizona game where if the dipshit coach wouldn't of called a time out huskies beat a 14 ranked team. Back on topic thought, any thoughts? It can't be just me that wants bevell to GET OUT of Seattle. He lost this game, we had an amazing performance on Lynch's back, and when it comes down to you on the goal line to win the game you go with the cutsie bullshit that got us in this 6 and 4 mess. I hate him as our OC..

I know, mind blowing.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11vtrmfn said:
pehawk":11vtrmfn said:

Yeah this is just chalked full of super keen insight into why we're all tired of Bevell

I am so sick and tired of coaching losing games ie. the rams game, the huskie Arizona game where if the dipshit coach wouldn't of called a time out huskies beat a 14 ranked team. Back on topic thought, any thoughts? It can't be just me that wants bevell to GET OUT of Seattle. He lost this game, we had an amazing performance on Lynch's back, and when it comes down to you on the goal line to win the game you go with the cutsie bullshit that got us in this 6 and 4 mess. I hate him as our OC..

I know, mind blowing.

Do you typically choose the lowest common denominator for your assumptions? That's the prism by which you choose to see these threads? Wow.

Makes sense a lot of people are gunshy over posting their football discussions here with this type of behavior going on.

At least we all know there's no point in putting thought into replies to your posts; you wont read nor care about them.

Good stuff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":bsh4yrul said:
Sgt. Largent":bsh4yrul said:
pehawk":bsh4yrul said:

I know, mind blowing.

Do you typically choose the lowest common denominator for your assumptions? That's the prism by which you choose to see these threads? Wow.

Makes sense a lot of people are gunshy over posting their football discussions here with this type of behavior going on.

At least we all know there's no point in putting thought into replies to your posts; you wont read nor care about them.

Good stuff.

I chose that one because it's the original post. Which proves all it takes to feed the Bevell haters is some garbage thrown up onto the wall.

White Devil

Reaction score
seedhawk":stdseaqv said:
White Devil":stdseaqv said:

Could it be the entire Harvin deal was to move our offense on from Lynch? Transition over 2 years or so. Might explain why Harvin was unhappy, why Lynch was/is unhappy. Didn't work out like we thought so we moved Harvin and stuck with Lynch, however, still leaves us with our offense somewhere between a rock and a hard spot.

That's honestly a great thought on the situation. I believe that the offense was to be centered heavily on Harvin and different ways to get him the ball. Why wouldn't it? That was why they made the move to sign him. The offense without Harvin could now be in limbo and still suffering from an entire offseason and playbook designed around a player no longer on the roster. Makes sense.

But I'm just a hater obviously because I don't wear my "I heart Bevell" pin. :179422:

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3vys5h25 said:
I heart Bevell pins are $20.20

All proceeds go to Bevell's charity "The Wisconsin Follicle and Empty Sets Foundation".

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I know Bevell won us a Super Bowl but man it feels like he is clueless at times.

Here is a quote that perfectly captures my feelings on watching his playcalling:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2014/audibles-line-week-11

"Vince Verhei: OK, now I'm pissed. After the failed fourth-and-goal play, Seahawks force their first punt. They then have a fourth-and-1 in Kansas City territory. Now, I'm not sure Seattle has thrown a deep pass all game, so Kansas City crowds everyone up on the line, effectively running an 8-0-3 formation. There are corners covering the receivers, but there are no real safeties or linebackers, just everyone pressed up to the line. Also, Max Unger is out again. So what do they call? Read option? Bootleg keeper? Quick slant? Nope. Straight handoff to Lynch up the gut. Nobody is fooled, nobody is beaten, the play loses yardage. That play probably fails 99 times out of 100. That's a much worse call than the goal-line fade route."

pehawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":zb4q17u3 said:
I know Bevell won us a Super Bowl but man it feels like he is clueless at times.

Here is a quote that perfectly captures my feelings on watching his playcalling:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2014/audibles-line-week-11

"Vince Verhei: OK, now I'm pissed. After the failed fourth-and-goal play, Seahawks force their first punt. They then have a fourth-and-1 in Kansas City territory. Now, I'm not sure Seattle has thrown a deep pass all game, so Kansas City crowds everyone up on the line, effectively running an 8-0-3 formation. There are corners covering the receivers, but there are no real safeties or linebackers, just everyone pressed up to the line. Also, Max Unger is out again. So what do they call? Read option? Bootleg keeper? Quick slant? Nope. Straight handoff to Lynch up the gut. Nobody is fooled, nobody is beaten, the play loses yardage. That play probably fails 99 times out of 100. That's a much worse call than the goal-line fade route."

Whatever, that's what all fans say when plans didn't work. You could say this about any OC.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28uiq545 said:

Is that fair? You absolutely know that if Bevell had called a slant, bootleg or deep shot in that situation and failed to convert that he would be crucified here. KC also has better edge talent than many teams we've faced, so I'm not convinced that a QB keeper or Lynch to the edge is necessarily the perfect call there either. Maybe pitch-back option with Michael or Turbin could've worked better -- but we've already shown that look multiple times on 4th down.

Personally, I actually do like seeing passes on 4th-and-short. However, I dread them in ways because even if you convert 60-70% (which is great), your fanbase will kill you for not running Lynch (who, quite honestly, has never been elite in short yardage situations) on the 30-40% you fail.

Anyway, yadda yadda, he's okay, he sucks, etc.. I thought overall Bevell got the offense moving. I do wish we were better in the redzone, but honestly, with different calls I'm not sure we get better results. I can't ignore that we have terrible redzone talent and KC is league-best at goal line run defense. 2/5 on RZ opportunities is probably what the stats would extrapolate to if we ran simulations with those elements factored in.

Latest posts