Is anyone else backtracking about the "worst call ever"?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1xpc59to said:
I'm not so much down on calling a pass play, as much the play they selected.
Aye, 90% of my problem with it is THE pass play we went with. Well, maybe 80-85%, but either way that is FAR AND AWAY the big issue.

FanSince82

Reaction score
Are you for real?

After yesterday, if any Hawks fans are still blind about Bevell's shortcomings, then we deserve what we get. There is no excuse not to see after yesterday. No completions until 5:36 into the second quarter and capped off with the "worst play in NFL history" (Emmitt Smith) that cost us a Super Bowl.

Retaining this failed offensive scheme is putting an individual over the organization as a whole. It's cost us one Super Bowl. The question now is whether we will keep making excuses and allow Bevell to cost us another. He makes Greg Roman look like an offensive genius.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
FanSince82":2e33hdjk said:
Are you for real?

After yesterday, if any Hawks fans are still blind about Bevell's shortcomings, then we deserve what we get. There is no excuse not to see after yesterday. No completions until 5:36 into the second quarter and capped off with the "worst play in NFL history" (Emmitt Smith) that cost us a Super Bowl.

Retaining this failed offensive scheme is putting an individual over the organization as a whole. It's cost us one Super Bowl. The question now is whether we will keep making excuses and allow Bevell to cost us another. He makes Greg Roman look like an offensive genius.

Even if I agree that Bevell made a horrible decision that cost us the Super Bowl -- he did OC us to the SB -- twice.

FanSince82

Reaction score
SonicHawk":12e05obe said:
FanSince82":12e05obe said:
Are you for real?

Even if I agree that Bevell made a horrible decision that cost us the Super Bowl -- he did OC us to the SB -- twice.

A Madden Kid could have OC'd against the Broncos and the outcome wouldn't have been any different. Our D and special teams also completely destroyed them.

Josh McDaniels ran rings around us yesterday. His play calling was logical. It made sense. It was innovative. He attacked our vulnerabilities mercilessly. All the while our offense ran the same plays that didn't work in the first half against the Packers.

Do you think Bill Belichick would tolerate an OC who fails to get a pass completion for the first 20 minutes of the game? Even a bottom 5 team wouldn't tolerate that. We do, only because we have a defense that keeps us competitive when our offense is failing. What does it say when a rookie CB tells us on national TV that our playcalling is predictable???

Our window will only last so long. It's not fair on the D or the organization as a whole to continue fighting with one arm tied behind our back. The Seahawks are more important than any one man. For the good of the organization, he must go.

NJlargent

Reaction score
marko358":20wogm1m said:
For anyone defending the play call, imagine you're watching two other teams playing in the Super Bowl with the same scenario in place. In this scenario, the team needing to punch it in has (pick any of these legendary backs: Walter Payton, Jerome Bettis, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Terrell Davis, Marcus Allen, etc.) and decides to run a slant in traffic instead and loses.

You're telling me you wouldn't think that was the worst play call in Super Bowl history? Doubt it.

This is exactly my thinking. If I pretend it was SF that made that play, I'm probably still laughing.

Backtracking might help with the pain, but that call was awful. What infuriates me is Bevell blaming Lockette afterwards. I'm not backtracking, Every time I refresh the board since last night I have hoped to see the thread "BEVELL FIRED." I hope to see it soon.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Why care about 3rd and 4th down when you can win on 2nd?

Not too unlike worrying about "scoring too fast" at the end of a game. Pete always has a just score and let the rest play out mantra.....and yet here we are hearing excuses about planning for 4th down......WHY???? Seems to go against their philosophy

JUST SCORE THE DANG FOOTBALL WHEN YOU HAVE THE CHANCE!

I seem to be getting angrier as time goes on.....

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
This was the same play we ran at the end of the first half in Carolina. A slant to Marshawn that bounced off his hands and ended as an INT.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
marko358":3ljxo2t2 said:
For anyone defending the play call, imagine you're watching two other teams playing in the Super Bowl with the same scenario in place. In this scenario, the team needing to punch it in has (pick any of these legendary backs: Walter Payton, Jerome Bettis, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Terrell Davis, Marcus Allen, etc.) and decides to run a slant in traffic instead and loses.

You're telling me you wouldn't think that was the worst play call in Super Bowl history? Doubt it.

What if it were the Vikings and they had AP in the game....and lets just say for sake of Argument it was in 09 with Favre...

daveman918

Reaction score
It will always and forever be a horrific call. Pats run defense at the goal line is statistically bad this year and we should have been prepared to run it up their... Well you know.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1khyzr4y said:
Nope.

Read this from a Pats fan on another board: "Patriots opponents ran the ball from the 1 yd line 5 times this season and scored a TD every time."

According to Football Outsiders, Lynch had gained positive yardage on 22 of 24 rushes in the game.

There's no way we shouldn't have handed the ball to Lynch.
Pretty open and shut IMHO.
Billicheck had Tommy handing the ball off a whole bunch, because he UNDERSTANDS how stupid it would have been to air it up for grabs.....Bevell?, meh, not too deep on the thinking.
The better team was banging on the door, and Bevell had a major brain fart, thus, pissing away the second biggest game of his life + he's already making excuses and shifting the blame on Lockett for why the play wasn't successful :177692: .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1u170xma said:
This was the same play we ran at the end of the first half in Carolina. A slant to Marshawn that bounced off his hands and ended as an INT.
Oh hell yeah, Marshawn has proven beyond a doubt that he just can't be trusted to run the ball from the one Yard line :roll: :34853_doh:

hawk45

Reaction score
marko358":178yx94j said:

This is a really good post Marko.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ram fan you still aren't getting it. The staff called the play because of the defense the Patriots were showing. It was a ruse though. They showed their goal line formation but all the while we're looking for that pass... And not just a pass... That pass ...that route. We played right into their hands.

morgulon1

Reaction score
SonicHawk":jxg4h62t said:
I find myself to be a relatively rational fan when it comes to how a game is called (I'm a huge incompetent fool elsewhere).

However, that was clearly A) the wrong play call at the worst time and B) a horrible decision by Russ to throw it where he did.

When you're on the 1 yard line in the closing seconds of the Super Bowl and you have the best back in the NFL and you decide to get cute and try to trick someone -- you've made the worst call in the history of the NFL.

You don't pass there, you have enough time to run the ball 3 times in the face of a defense that hasn't stopped Lynch for a loss yet. This isn't rocket science. You lose or win with what got you there.

The old saying " you dance with who brought you" was never more true than in this instance.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Absolutely not. It was completely asinine.

They were trying to run down the clock? Why try and endzone pass where it's a touchdown, dropped ball (stops the clock) or an INT?

They weren't going to run on their bigs? Why in the holy %$$% were WE not in a running formation with bigs of our own?

Nothing about the call or the "reasoning" for getting to making that decision makes any sense. If you want to run the clock down you don't do that. You don't act like the Patriots weak run D forced your hand when you trotted out there with 3 WR personnel. It was there for the taking and they %$#^ the bed. That's all there is to it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Pete's thought process was excellent. It's not a wasted play, but one you don't have to make if you throw it. Goes wrong, throw ball out of end zone and start over. You know the stats, and if you can leave doubt about run/throw on 3rd, Lynch scores.

What you absolutely cannot do, however, is throw the ball to the middle of the field where even a good throw can get deflected into an INT. ( A sack is similarly terrible, and Wilson has trouble with throwing the ball away sometimes. ) Even if you have Calvin Johnson v. Arrington, it takes that one moment.

Bootleg and make it 3 on 2. If you want to get cute, have Gilliam report eligible to the bootleg side and run pattern. DE or LB follows, there goes contain. Wilson gets rushed, Gilliam is wide open.

If Wilson has to stand in the pocket, you cross Kearse and Lockette or you have Kearse cut in, then back out like the Edelman play.

So, yeah. Lots of options and the one chosen is the one you can't make. Qualifies for worst ever (and a massive betrayal of those of us who defended Bevell).

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2a1rnyoq said:
Why care about 3rd and 4th down when you can win on 2nd?

Not too unlike worrying about "scoring too fast" at the end of a game. Pete always has a just score and let the rest play out mantra.....and yet here we are hearing excuses about planning for 4th down......WHY???? Seems to go against their philosophy

JUST SCORE THE DANG FOOTBALL WHEN YOU HAVE THE CHANCE!

I seem to be getting angrier as time goes on.....

They definitely went against philosophy. Now we all know why his philosophy is good and is what we need to stick with.

Still sad to see...

B8z0jLiIYAMCtkV

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Nope. Still the single worst play call in Super Bowl history.

Give the ball to Lynch and we win the super bowl. Its that simple.