Is Doug Baldwin a Mal-Content?

Schadie001

Reaction score
Funny, how a guy (Baldwin) works his A## off does nothing but make HUGE plays all year long and because he does a stupid SB celebration those in this forum are ready to dump him. You had better be ready to swallow hard, cuz Doug isn't going anywhere. He is one of the hardest workers on the team and competes always. 2 things Pete loves. I think all this kind of stuff does is take the pressure of Wilson not put more on him. Doug is bar none our best receiver.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't know what some of you are on about; Baldwin's celebration was the very definition of hurting the team by putting himself first. Lynch getting fined off the field is completely different; it's his money and he can spend it how he wants. If Lynch had cost the team 15 yards with a crotch grab then I would be just as annoyed with him, but he didn't because he put the team first. ADB didn't.

Schadie001":33r3a32v said:
Funny, how a guy (Baldwin) works his A## off does nothing but make HUGE plays all year long and because he does a stupid SB celebration those in this forum are ready to dump him. Doug is bar none our best receiver.
He is our best and highest paid receiver, and is the leader of our receiver corps. Do you think that condones selfish behavior or does it give him additional responsibility?

Throwdown

Reaction score
AVL":26020d55 said:
Throwdown":26020d55 said:
We're really mad over something that doesn't matter?

And if you're worried about a message to a kid, maybe you need to worry about your parenting skills. These dudes should never reach larger than life status to someone, whether its Doug, Russell, Sherman, or Lynch.

I am surprised and impressed, or something.

But I think you should have a license to be a parent, just like everything else in life that entails some responsibility.

Doug Baldwin is a Flynn apologist who can't hold on to the game winning catch when he loses a few teeth.

My kid would become president ,and NBA MVP, a Rhodes scholar, and a math teacher by the age 5 from my skills

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If you're going to conflate his on field performance with his behavior in the media/unsportsmanlike penalty in the SB, don't even bother responding. They are two separate and distinct issues. It is possible to have one without the other, Baldwin just needs to remove his head from his rectum.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sc85sis":2c8d0hqs said:
brimsalabim":2c8d0hqs said:
jammerhawk":2c8d0hqs said:
No one got punched, no illegal drugs were used, nobody got hurt, though a few defensive players may wish to have words with Doug. It was a rather ill conceived TD celebration with a message sent which could have been better thought out. I love DB. He's a very good players who plays hard and speaks out when he thinks BS is happening. In every other way he's a very solid citizen and I know this from talking with him in a relaxed setting. He is a very bright and considerate thoughtful person, so this celebration is out of context for him and he shouldn't allow the Prime Time's, etc. of the world to get under his skin.

I suspect he regrets this rather juvenile display of emotion, and has $ 11,000+ reasons besides his his now otherwise unbesmirched reputation to think over after this error of judgment which probably had more to do with being ADB than being intentionally foolish.

Trading him from the team b/c he made a mistake that ultimately he is and will pay for? C'Mon, really??? As it's the off season and everything is worthy of consideration it's an interesting idea but getting a 3rd for him is pipe dream stuff, besides he's signed to an advantageous contract to the team and he has a good rapport with RW. On another team with a better OC he'd put up Tate like numbers and he is worth more to the team than many acknowledge.

I'm sure Pete has already spoken to him about not doing things that intentionally put the team in a more difficult situation. I know eventually he and the other WRs here will get their recognition as genuinely solid players, but pooping out a football isn't the way it'll get done.
Really? Your sure that the coach of the NFL's most penalized team for two years running spoke to Baldwin about it? I'm really not convincend that's how Pete does things.
Penalties like Bennett gets for being aggressive at the snap are a byproduct of our style of play. They contribute to that high total you're referencing. Pete will try to mitigate those, but it's a balancing act and he knows it.

Penalties for stupid acts that draw 15 yards are different. That's a maturity issue, and yes Pete will talk to guys --just as he talked to Richard after the rant last season following the NFCCG. Rule number one: Protect the team.

I like this response. Baldwin doesn't make himself likeable, but I do respect how he speaks his mind and is honest. My issues with Baldwin are that I honestly don't think he lives up to what he's making at this point. I think he'd be great as a slot WR and he's outmatched on the outside.

As for sc85sis's comment, it aggravates me to no end on Bennett's stupid offsides. You watch the ball on the DL, it's not difficult. That said, for the amount of offsides he gets, I'd be willing to be he makes up for all of those with negative plays. If you have to live with it, you live with it.

What pisses me off to no end is the fact that we lead the league in dumbass penalties. Baldwin's penalty in the SB was dumbassed, no doubt about it. If we could clean up all these stupid mental dumbass penalties, we'd have a cleaner season over all and some of these game wouldn't be so close.

kearly

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":170tsa9d said:
I grew tired of his act long ago, because he isn't good enough to be as obnoxious and offended as he is. He isn't hurting anyone or cheating, so i just don't listen to his interviews and all is well. My biggest concern is that the team won't try to upgrade the receiver position

This.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2rsxlmuh said:
It isn't Baldwin's responsibility to raise your kids its yours. If you can't teach your kids between right and wrong then that's YOUR problem.

BRAVO !!!
Good job, bro, good job.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":347nkpw8 said:
jammerhawk":347nkpw8 said:
No one got punched, no illegal drugs were used, nobody got hurt, though a few defensive players may wish to have words with Doug. It was a rather ill conceived TD celebration with a message sent which could have been better thought out. I love DB. He's a very good players who plays hard and speaks out when he thinks BS is happening. In every other way he's a very solid citizen and I know this from talking with him in a relaxed setting. He is a very bright and considerate thoughtful person, so this celebration is out of context for him and he shouldn't allow the Prime Time's, etc. of the world to get under his skin.

I suspect he regrets this rather juvenile display of emotion, and has $ 11,000+ reasons besides his his now otherwise unbesmirched reputation to think over after this error of judgment which probably had more to do with being ADB than being intentionally foolish.

Trading him from the team b/c he made a mistake that ultimately he is and will pay for? C'Mon, really??? As it's the off season and everything is worthy of consideration it's an interesting idea but getting a 3rd for him is pipe dream stuff, besides he's signed to an advantageous contract to the team and he has a good rapport with RW. On another team with a better OC he'd put up Tate like numbers and he is worth more to the team than many acknowledge.

I'm sure Pete has already spoken to him about not doing things that intentionally put the team in a more difficult situation. I know eventually he and the other WRs here will get their recognition as genuinely solid players, but pooping out a football isn't the way it'll get done.

Really? Your sure that the coach of the NFL's most penalized team for two years running spoke to Baldwin about it? I'm really not convincend that's how Pete does things.

You think Pete doesn't care about penalties? Wow! Stupid penalty reduction has been a focus of all the coaches and yet the unforced errors are the annoying penalties are the ones he most is concerned about. Believe what you want but Pete is seemingly unconcerned with penalties involving aggressive play but very concerned with the un forced error stupid penalties, and Doug's celebration fit that mould.

Tate took a few penalties for silly celebrations and found himself in Pete's doghouse when he didn't cooperate. He got the message slowly. Evidence he's (ADB) been spoken to was Doug's reversal on the WRs are annoyed with Bevell vs. Lockette remarks. Pete cares deeply about all things that affect this team while allowing the players to be themselves, but when they break a cardinal team rule about protecting the team then they comply with the team rules or else. I'm sure 'tell the truth Monday' was uncomfortable for Doug on this deal.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
No not A$$... but Agenda.
I understand Baldwin perceives that he is being slighted. I also think he is unhappy with his place on a run-heavy offense. He may be a malcontent if he starts blaming his OC and QB for not getting the opportunities he should.
Under his good buddy Luck and the Colts it is understandable he'd be a 1000 yd receiver. What has me questioning his role as a leader is that he has gotten away with repeated slights toward his QB. A locker room can be divided by such behaviors. I brought up a few instances but if anybody would like to add more than please do.

2014-2015 NFCCG. ADB'S comments when reporters asked did Wilson have a message:
"He didn't one. He didnt have a fvckn message" (apparently ADB did.)
2014 Social media comments about certain persons being robotic and fake. Wilson appears to respond moments later.
Then there are past ADB comments on how he feels Luck is far better than Wilson (2012 RRR and 2013 ESPN, NFLN).
Lastly, what do we make of Baldwin ' s assertion that THE TEAM wanted to make Lynch MVP? Was it his agenda or did the entire team discuss and agree upon this? It is not like PC, RW, even Kam to try to pre determine a SB MVP knowing it could influence others who were deserving. Baldwin ' s assertion that the team wants Lynch to win MVP pretty much set the stage for all the outrage by fans and the conspiracy talk about management wanting RW to win MVP. Essentially, Baldwin almost guarantees Wilson won't win MVP by telling the fans this team feels for Lynch and wants him to be MVP (even if untrue). It also sets the stage for RW to be aligned with management vs players again.

So, in retrospect I don't care much about his stupidity on the field so much as off it.
He took a crap in that game that probably didn't matter. His verbal crapping off the field might eventually cause problems when players start keying in on these messages.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I have said this all year..... Baldwin is a problem.

Im glad people are finally seeing the light.

Greenhell

Reaction score
SuperFreak":3u5gtugg said:

I'm tried of his act, the poop celebration was more so out of line that I lost all respect for him to pull that selfish move in the biggest game for his team was beyond stupid.

I never heard an explanation why he did such a stupid thing? What the reasoning behind it?

jblaze

Reaction score
I love Baldwin, I think he's a great #3 receiver on any team. However, his me against the world mentality and repeated lash outs is getting old. The angry doug routine was funny for a while but now that he's taking it to the next level and affecting the game with penalties and lashing out at media with profanity laced tirades, it's just run it's course. I hope he grows up a bit and takes a page from Lynch and just keeps his mouth shut.

He's good enough to let his play do the talking regarding any slights he's received from the media. Stop taking it personally and just do your job.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Malcontent?

No, a malcontent is like Harvin, someone who's pissed off at the way the offense/team is being run or coached, etc.......and therefore being an all around distraction or team cancer.

Doug is what I would now call an annoyance or an act that's growing tired. Pete and John need to decide whether his antics warrant his production and value to this team.

Right now we still need Doug, because while he's wearing thin on a lot of fans (and probably coaches), he's still the #1 receiver on this team. But if Pete and John ever get this receiver group up to league standards? Then IMO Doug is expendable.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
We'll never know for sure if ADB's (selfish) 15-yard penalty affected the outcome of the game or not. Sure, the Pats punted on the ensuing possession for a touchback, but to say that makes the penalty yards a "non-factor" ignores the Butterfly Effect, as well as how it affected the Patriots' psyche. You can blow that off and say I'm just trying to make Baldwin the scapegoat for the brutal loss, but that aspect shouldn't be entirely discounted. Adrenaline is a powerful intangible and getting dissed like that is certainly something capable of releasing it. Fact is, the extra point after Baldwin's TD was the final point the 'Hawks scored in the game and the Pats overcame a 10-point deficit from then on. Chris Matthews was already garnering MVP discussion in the national media.

Defe-gate is proving to be a very divisive issue among fans. Some of you are in the "it was funny/it was no big deal/you guys are overreacting/hell NO he shouldn't apologize" camp.
Then there are those of us on the other side: some think he should have already been booted from the team or at the very least, they should be shopping him. Others think it's a forgivable sin, but that it definitely warrants an apology (this is where I'd say that I'm at). Because the word "apology" doesn't jive with the "Bad Boy" image that ADB seems hell-bent on making for himself, let's call it "damage control." To the best of my knowledge, the only public comments he's made about the incident were brief and defiant. They say, "Even if you polish a turd, it's still a turd" (or something like that).

If I thought DB would be the least bit open to taking this suggestion to repair his image and/or more importantly, the TEAM'S image, I would have sent it to him. Since I don't, I'll just share it with you:

*Real or cardboard Doug Baldwin steps up to podium*

"Good afternoon. Due to the misconceived criticism that my Super Bowl touchdown celebration has received over the past week, I would like to set the record straight. In NO WAY was I "pooping a football" [use Nixon/Chris Farley finger quotes for effect]. As I stated last week on the matter, I was just having fun. Leading up to the game, I said, and I quote, 'I'm going to bring my sun block, my shades, my hat and I'm going to go to Revis Island and see what I can do.'
In response, Revis said that I would be 'laying an egg' in the game and that is entirely what the celebration was depicting -- me laying an egg.
It was meant all in good fun, but in hindsight, I should have not allowed my personal battle to affect my teammates and due to the penalty, it did. Furthermore, the message of my celebration was misconstrued as a disgusting act, which has brought embarrassment and shame to me personally, as well as to my family and the Seattle Seahawks organization, including the fans. For that, I would like to apologize but I assure you all that I was laying an egg and NOT dropping a deuce. Trust me, if it had been the latter, I would have wiped and washed my hands; I did go to Stanford for crying out loud. Thank you.
God bless America, God bless the Philippines, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks."

Or something like that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm with Rob and others, I'm tired of his act. I've been a fan of his and still am. Not ready to give up on him but his rant post GB was stupid and I thought his penalty in the SB was stupid. I hope he changes his approach somewhat next year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2ze78ptg said:
I grew tired of his act long ago, because he isn't good enough to be as obnoxious and offended as he is. He isn't hurting anyone or cheating, so i just don't listen to his interviews and all is well. My biggest concern is that the team won't try to upgrade the receiver position
I really hope you're wrong but unless we decide to change the focus of the offense we shouldn't invest that much in the WR corps. It would make more sense to keep drafting WR's and hope one or two of them really make a splash. This is why the Richardson injury hurt so badly because he was making serious progress but can you trust a guy that's had the same knee injured twice considering his playing position and the reason why he was drafted in the first place?

Rob12

Reaction score
austinslater25":45nnu8m7 said:
I'm with Rob and others, I'm tired of his act. I've been a fan of his and still am. Not ready to give up on him but his rant post GB was stupid and I thought his penalty in the SB was stupid. I hope he changes his approach somewhat next year.

Exactly, I don't want him gone... That's way too overboard.

Reaction score
peppersjap":19n63gf1 said:
...I have sent 2 different complaints to the organization about his actions...

...It cracks me up that we are taking the high and mighty attitude when people ask about how they would feel if Suh ended up on our team when we have someone as disrespectful as Baldwin on our team?...

...As a father a 13 year old Seahawk fan I have never respected a player less because he feels he did nothing wrong and I'm seriously starting to question the organization because they have addressed it in no way!

Ironic statements coming from a person with jap in their username...what would I say to my kids if they saw that?!?
Oh...wait...it probably is short for peppersjalapeno...or is it..... :3-1: :stirthepot: :mrgreen: