Is it a big reach?

hawk45

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":187kvt4h said:
I don't think many think he is going to be a bust. I feel as if most of the angst directed towards Penny is due to the position, and lack of perceived value. I don't think those criticisms are wrong either, especially considering the elephant in the room: Our offensive line durability, and overall play. I do not think Solari is going to fix these guys overnight. Penny plays a position that is heavily codependent on said offensive line to execute.

Good player, questionable circumstances under which the pick was made. Especially considering the drop off in offensive line talent after Hernandez is pretty steep while the RB position was fairly deep this draft. I can understand why Pete did what he did, I just think he is taking the wrong approach to establishing a dominate running game -- the cart before the pony syndrome if you will.

This is sort of where my take is. The player looks fine, it's just we choose a RB-deep draft as our moment to use the first on a RB, when it is a completely open question as to whether the line will allow us to extract value from the back.

I don't know. I'm not *mad*. I would characterize my mood as high on the player but disappointed in the strategy.

If Solari can fix the line and Penny slashes up the league, it'll be a great decision even if we could have had a good back later. If the line sucks and Penny is bottled up behind it it'll be another bad decision around the offense.

Jville

Reaction score
"Is it a big reach?" :177692: Na...... but there are always going to be some who are dumbfounded by an actual selection. It is really too much to expect everyone to keep up with year to year changes to drafting criterion and goals. This year features a reset of some very important drafting criterion. It's reflected in the make up of the young man they drafted.

chawx

Reaction score
Fade":2a9cn8ar said:
[youtube]B2M42wL7E1o[/youtube]
Beast.

jqNMQB.gif

I'm just going to leave this right here. :2thumbs:

hawk45

Reaction score
I actually felt better watching the more complete footage than I did watching the highlights.

On the highlights there are a ton of long yards but most of them there was a hole the size of which he is unlikely to see on this football team, and he made a shifty move to ditch a guy and then nobody was close to catching him. Which made me really question the speed of the secondaries he was facing in that conference, because usually he was able to slow down by the 20 yard line that's how pathetic the pursuit was.

Watching the runs that were NOT breakaways reassured me he can actually run when it's not just one shift then off to the races.

The way he moves reminds me of Prosise. No eye-grabbing lateral jumps, just small efficient lateral shifts while still running downhill. To me it's one of the things that makes Prosise a threat to bust a long one every time he touches the ball - the fact that he makes his moves at speed as often as not. I'm also sure that's why vin made the Percy comp. The sheer acceleration isn't close to Harvin (more Prosise to me as I said) but all 3 of those backs share the ability to make moves while minimizing the loss of forward momentum.

I didn't see a ton of busted tackles so I'm wondering if I'm watching the right highlights. What I saw was that when he was met in the backfield he would turn and run the other way and use his speed to gain those YAC. So unless I see something different I'm wondering if that YAC stat of his isn't a little misleading. Because changing field direction like that doesn't translate well in the NFL, behind our line least of all. Whereas the Lynch YAC method of dragging 3 guys does.

But whatever. If all he ever did was run close to Prosise and stay healthy it'd be worth a first in my book. Prosise wasn't a YAC guy but I'd love to have him tote the rock all 3 downs if he could stay healthy past stepping off the plane.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm the dumb guy that thinks that Penney may be a superior RB to Barkley, want some reasons?

If you "click on the headers" on the below link: Of all the RB 2018 draft prospects....................
Reference: http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/nat ... ort01.html

Attempts: Penney #2 with 289 rushes. (Barcley #31 with 217)
Yards: Penney #1 with 2248-yds (Barkley #28 with 1271-yds) - That's a 977-yard difference!
Rushing TD's: Penney #1 with 23-TD's (Barkley #5 with 18-TD's)
Longest Rush: Penney #1 with a 99-yard gain. (Barkley #2 with 82-yard gain)
1-st downs rushing: Penney #3 with 81 (Behind Bradshaw & L. Jackson) (Barkley #50 with 49)
10+ yard rushes: Penney #2 with 58, (behind only L. Jackson) (Barkley #49 with 29)
20+ yard rushes: Penney #1 with 29. (Barkley is #10 with 14)
Total offense in all 2017 games (see link below) Penney is #89 on this last, AFTER -- 88 QB's.
(and, Barkley doesn't come close to the top 100 list for total offense).
http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/nat ... ort01.html

+ Add in Penney's KO returns for career: 81/2449-yds/7-TD's & 2/70-yds/1-TD punt returns.
on and on. Yes, Barkley may be a better receiver, right now, but IMO, Penney is the better pure RB. Concerns about his pass blocking efforts doesn't seem to be such a big problem, simply because HE was the whole offense and wasn't asked to block much. He'll learn that aspect easily before his 1-st real NFL game. Go ahead and flame on me, They got the guy I wanted and I'm very happy and excited about it. Next season will be Super "Special". One cut and go is back!
:smilingalien:

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
chawx":2kklck7b said:
Fade":2kklck7b said:
[youtube]B2M42wL7E1o[/youtube]
Beast.

jqNMQB.gif

I'm just going to leave this right here. :2thumbs:

Hawaii has two #31's on their roster last year so it's either a Jr. LB that weighs 235, or less likely A Sr. WR that weighs 200. In any case, whoever he is he should hang his head. That guy likely has rug burns on his dingus, AND, Penney hardly slowed down as he was dragging that defender for 10-yards. That's some power on display right there. I can't wait for the season now, they got my guy! I'm jacked & pumped.
:smilingalien:

justafan

Reaction score
I liked the pick but after listening to his coach on kjr this afternoon I LOVE THE PICK.

Our RB situation was among the worst in the NFL last year. It would surprise me if he doesnt get 1100 or 1200 yrds next year

naholmes

Reaction score
There were 5 RB taken in a span of 17 picks, so no it wasn’t a reach. Teams are drafting them higher this year, even with a deep class, probably after the crazy success of Hunt and Kamara last season.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
While it was certainly a deep RB class, not all RBs taken in the 2nd rd are equal. Some on here seem to be suggesting the Hawks should have traded down well into the 2nd and, "just take any RB because they're all good enough." This is not true at all, and the fact that Guice fell so far suggests that he, at least, has red flags for every team. And considering the FIT for the Hawks, this is more of a steal than a reach, after we traded down and picked up a 3rd rd selection.

If we'd taken Green at 27 and used a 3rd to pick up an RB other than Penny after the run on RBs, some on here might be happy enough. But we did even better by getting Green and PENNY, the better choice at RB. Not a reach at all, just great acquisitions.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1w2jx66i said:
While it was certainly a deep RB class, not all RBs taken in the 2nd rd are equal. Some on here seem to be suggesting the Hawks should have traded down well into the 2nd and, "just take any RB because they're all good enough." This is not true at all, and the fact that Guice fell so far suggests that he, at least, has red flags for every team. And considering the FIT for the Hawks, this is more of a steal than a reach, after we traded down and picked up a 3rd rd selection.

If we'd taken Green at 27 and used a 3rd to pick up an RB other than Penny after the run on RBs, some on here might be happy enough. But we did even better by getting Green and PENNY, the better choice at RB. Not a reach at all, just great acquisitions.

Looks like the Seahawks started the run on running backs. 5 went in the next 17 picks, Penny included. So they obviously got their guy. Instead of having to settle for the leftovers.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Its true that Penny played against “inferior” competition compared to Barkley, Jones, Chubb, et al. That also means his offensive line was likely “inferior” compared to the ones those guys had.