Is it possible Sherm gets traded tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":w5u8eph5 said:
but if we set the price so steep that nobody would take the deal for a guy like Sherman, that in itself says a lot.

Ehh, I don't totally disagree, but I can also see it both ways.

Sherman is far and away most valuable to a team that's spending almost all of its time in Cover 3, and you can count those teams in the NFL on one hand.

Part of the hangup could simply be that Sherman is simply more valuable to the Seahawks than he is to 28 or so of their potential trading partners.

That's not a knock on Sherman, not a knock on the Hawks, and not a knock on anyone else either. It's a simple scheme and value thing that you can't really get around.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11hw73nk said:
kidhawk":11hw73nk said:
but if we set the price so steep that nobody would take the deal for a guy like Sherman, that in itself says a lot.

Ehh, I don't totally disagree, but I can also see it both ways.

Sherman is far and away most valuable to a team that's spending almost all of its time in Cover 3, and you can count those teams in the NFL on one hand.

Part of the hangup could simply be that Sherman is simply more valuable to the Seahawks than he is to 28 or so of their potential trading partners.

That's not a knock on Sherman, not a knock on the Hawks, and not a knock on anyone else either. It's a simple scheme and value thing that you can't really get around.

Saying his value to the Seahawks is higher than any team is willing to offer in trade does say a lot though. If he demanded a trade, they'd more than likely negotiate the best deal they can so as not to have a disgruntled player in the locker room. Look how quickly they undersold Harvin when he was being a PITA. Also, if it were the Seahawks wanting to be rid of a "problem player" they'd also likely press for the best deal possible.

The logical conclusion is that There was interest out there from at least one other team, and when that leaked, there became interest from other teams who at least wanted to test the waters. We want him more than we want whatever the offers were, and that says that it's unlikely there is any serious problem between the player and the team at this point (and my never have been).

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Its always said the NFL is a DEADLINE driven league. Today in theory is the deadline to make something happy.

I highly doubt it, but if the question is if its possible, yes anythings possible.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1fi46k75 said:
Its always said the NFL is a DEADLINE driven league. Today in theory is the deadline to make something happy.

I highly doubt it, but if the question is if its possible, yes anythings possible.

This is probably the answer in a nutshell....it's a crazy league, especially on draft day. Anything can happen, although I doubt this is one of those anythings this year

Basis4day

Reaction score
Rob Staton has pointed this out as why it's extremely unlikely.

Player trades are made pending the results of a physical. If Sherman is traded for say a 1st rd pick, the hawks make a pick, and later Sherman fails his physical it doesn't make any sense.

London12

Reaction score
Probably not...

"Some things never change. "
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/BTZM8KJlS5D/[/instagram]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":287oojki said:
and that says that it's unlikely there is any serious problem between the player and the team at this point (and my never have been).

Yeah, I mean there was clearly enough of a "problem" there for Sherman to go to the team and request that they look into trading him, but definitely not enough of a problem to make him team meetings or make them settle for a bargain basement deal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3acxm33e said:
kidhawk":3acxm33e said:
and that says that it's unlikely there is any serious problem between the player and the team at this point (and my never have been).

Yeah, I mean there was clearly enough of a "problem" there for Sherman to go to the team and request that they look into trading him, but definitely not enough of a problem to make him team meetings or make them settle for a bargain basement deal.

This, of course assumes media speculation to be correct. I don't want to rehash the whole thing. He may have asked or it may have been another team who inquired, but I've never heard Sherman say he asked to be traded, so without that, I won't believe nor disbelieve it. It's just another of many possible scenarios. Assuming he stays here, then the problems aren't serious enough to warrant my worrying about them.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
My understanding was that it all started with some discussions with other GMs at the combine, who I believe approached John Schneider about it. The Seahawks were never actively shopping Sherm, just fielding phone calls about him -- and then telling Sherm about the conversations.

kidhawk

Reaction score
YaktownHawK":1tpk8rec said:

That article is pretty much exactly the kind of speculation that causes me to close the page and just walk away from it feeling like I've wasted 2 minutes of my time. This is nothing against you posting it, you're just adding to the conversation, but it's reporters who just throw stuff out there that they want to be true and hope it sticks. Heck, the video doesn't even align with the article's opinion on the matter.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":ycbhiu7k said:
YaktownHawK":ycbhiu7k said:

That article is pretty much exactly the kind of speculation that causes me to close the page and just walk away from it feeling like I've wasted 2 minutes of my time. This is nothing against you posting it, you're just adding to the conversation, but it's reporters who just throw stuff out there that they want to be true and hope it sticks. Heck, the video doesn't even align with the article's opinion on the matter.

Agreed. More sensational garbage :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
If a trade were to happen or has happened and it is yet to be announced I doubt it will be till a certain player is either picked by us or a team gets jumped and miss out on the player they wanted and need the position filled. These are conditional situations which would be why nothing is said about it and could be why on the surface everyone is saying were all happy now.

razor150

Reaction score
Atradees":ykfp9a4j said:
Talk seems too have cooled quite a bit like it's not news. Sherman is a proven player though.
Personally, I think in two years sherman is done. Now is the time to sell high. That is the only reason I would trade him tonight. Look, we got a first alone it changes our entire draft. We could get two or even three coveted players in the draft. Patriots, love em or hate em are really good about not kidding themselves about values.

Bolles and Obiwan
Cam and Peppars

A part of me has to agree. I just don't see Sherman having the athleticism or the speed to continue his career well into his 30s like a Charles Woodson. So if we are going to trade him, it has to be now. Not many teams will likely being looking to give as much for him next year than this year.

I just don't see it happening though.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1zqn9uwy said:
kidhawk":1zqn9uwy said:
YaktownHawK":1zqn9uwy said:

Agreed. More sensational garbage :roll:

:sarcasm_on: HOLY *BLEEP*! A REPORTER FROM BOSTON THINKS A PLAYER WANTS TO GO TO BOSTON! STOP THE PRESSES!

I'm sure this Tom Curran who covers the Patriots for Comcast Sports Network New England TOTALLY has insider access to a player who is all the way across the country. :sarcasm_off:

What a tool. He's paid to stir up this bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.