Is Marshawn intentionally trying to screw the Hawks?

A-Dog

Reaction score
This is the thing that everyone who thinks Lynch has all the leverage and is trying to screw us over is missing:

If he's tell the league he wants to un-retire, then yes, his salary is back on our books and we're on the hook for a lot of money. Everyone assumes that unless the Raiders agree to a trade, we'll be forced to release him and we get nothing and Marshawn and the Raiders win.

What if we call his bluff? What if we say "OKAY MARSHAWN, WE'LL SEE YOU IN OTAs, MINICAMP, TRAINING CAMP, and PRESEASON... gotta get you ready for the Superbowl run!"

Do you think Marshawn would actually show up and tell the media "I'm just here so I don't get fined." And basically stab a dagger in to all of his former teammates guts by essentially holding the team hostage? What if the team has to start cutting other players in order to pay Beast Mode. He'd start losing respect really quick in the locker room.

More likely he'd hold out, get fined, and unless the Raiders pony up a draft pick or two, eventually give up and quit before he ever played a game for us. Sure, the Hawks would have to deal with some cap flexibility issues, but if they really got low on cap space they still have the option to release him. This is Beast Mode -- I can't see any circumstance where he'd end up suiting up for games.

The Hawks already did him some big favors by A) signing him to an extension before the last year of his current deal, and B) not asking him to repay his signing bonus when he "retired." Out of principle, if I were them I'd play some serious hardball. If the raiders won't pay up, I'd make him pay a lot more than $2.5M of that big ass signing bonus (not sure how that would affect the cap).

There are two likely scenarios:

1) Beast Mode stays retired
2) The Raiders pony up a minimum of a 4th or 5th round pick to take him off of our hands.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Just to add to that, the team would have plenty of leverage in the offseason of Marshawn doesn't show up:

The truth is, teams have plenty of levers to pull. There's the aforementioned $70,000 fine for skipping a mandatory minicamp. There's the penalty -- up to $30,000 -- they can assess the player for every missed day of training camp. They can also dock each guy the equivalent of a game check -- 1/17th of his salary -- for missing a preseason contest. And if an under-contract player doesn't report by Aug. 5, he loses an accrued season.

What I DON'T know is how those fines affect salary cap space. Hawkstorian??

Seymour

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/843837446492225536[/tweet]

edogg23

Reaction score
A-Dog":5ww395rx said:
This is the thing that everyone who thinks Lynch has all the leverage and is trying to screw us over is missing:

If he's tell the league he wants to un-retire, then yes, his salary is back on our books and we're on the hook for a lot of money. Everyone assumes that unless the Raiders agree to a trade, we'll be forced to release him and we get nothing and Marshawn and the Raiders win.

What if we call his bluff? What if we say "OKAY MARSHAWN, WE'LL SEE YOU IN OTAs, MINICAMP, TRAINING CAMP, and PRESEASON... gotta get you ready for the Superbowl run!"

Do you think Marshawn would actually show up and tell the media "I'm just here so I don't get fined." And basically stab a dagger in to all of his former teammates guts by essentially holding the team hostage? What if the team has to start cutting other players in order to pay Beast Mode. He'd start losing respect really quick in the locker room.

More likely he'd hold out, get fined, and unless the Raiders pony up a draft pick or two, eventually give up and quit before he ever played a game for us. Sure, the Hawks would have to deal with some cap flexibility issues, but if they really got low on cap space they still have the option to release him. This is Beast Mode -- I can't see any circumstance where he'd end up suiting up for games.

The Hawks already did him some big favors by A) signing him to an extension before the last year of his current deal, and B) not asking him to repay his signing bonus when he "retired." Out of principle, if I were them I'd play some serious hardball. If the raiders won't pay up, I'd make him pay a lot more than $2.5M of that big ass signing bonus (not sure how that would affect the cap).

2) The Raiders pony up a minimum of a 4th or 5th round pick to take him off of our hands.

The Hawks were nice in letting him keep the money but it's no different money wise them him not retiring at the Hawks cutting him which they probably would have had to do anyways. There is no trade market for Lynch because no one is going to pay him his current salary to play.

RCATES

Reaction score
Peter King is also claiming from a reliable source that Lynch wants to play for Oakland and only Oakland.

Here's my two only scenario's where this actually happens.
1. Lynch returns the 5.5 million Hawks paid him last year in good faith and then Hawks cut him.
2. Lynch returns the 5.5 million and Hawks get a late round draft pick from Oakland for a trade.

If he doesn't return the 5.5 million this could get really nasty. Or Hawks could also turn into pussies and fold on his demands and just cut him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":12bngw10 said:
Peter King is also claiming from a reliable source that Lynch wants to play for Oakland and only Oakland.

Here's my two only scenario's where this actually happens.
1. Lynch returns the 5.5 million Hawks paid him last year in good faith and then Hawks cut him.
2. Lynch returns the 5.5 million and Hawks get a late round draft pick from Oakland for a trade.

If he doesn't return the 5.5 million this could get really nasty. Or Hawks could also turn into pussies and fold on his demands and just cut him.
That $5.5 million wouldn't do a thing to our salary cap number, though, would it? And would Marshawn even report to us (maybe he has to to fulfill language in the contract). But even if he would report, it doesn't sound like his heart would be in it to play for us. And he's all about the heart.

All parties have to understand that it's not fair for us to just release him, kiss him goodbye and watch him potentially have a renaissance year in Oakland. I say trade for a conditional 4th-6th in 2018 -- 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns (4th), 900 yards and 8 TDs (5th), all other (6th).

ringless

Reaction score
I understand that the Seahawks have leverage, but so does Lynch. The entitlement to Lynch I find interesting. Teams cut players all the time for cap reasons, and don't get anything in return. Sure, the Seahawks could manipulate their cap situation to fit Lynch in. But 9 million, is 9 million no matter how you cut it. Do the Seahawks do that just to prove a point and what exactly do they prove in doing that? What actually gets accomplished? Doing that seems counterintuitive to what they are trying to accomplish and that 9 million is going to be needed next season with some of the UFA's coming up.

Then Seattle has to decide how many backs they are going to keep on the roster. They also have to sacrifice the development of Rawls, and Procise at that point. Because you cant have Lynch, or Lacy riding the pine. Can you imagine your backup RB getting paid 5 million? Ouch! Plus your starter 9 million? While leaving Rawls and Procise not getting reps, not getting better.... But hey! You proved a point! And all it cost you was 9 million to force someone who doesn't want to play to play for you. And it only cost you a year of development for two players the fan base is excited about. It only cost you 9 million out of a tight budget that now can't be paid to players the following years while the defensive stars are aging. All in some passive aggressive manner because the team feels slighted that Lynch might want to play for another team. Yes, Seattle has some leverage... But at what cost? I'm all for Seattle using their leverage because it does them more harm than good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":2iw4phdx said:

3) Marshawn unretires, we release him so he can play for the Raiders and we eat the 5.5M as good faith. Or the Raider's swap us a 6th or 7th round pick.

Like I said on page one, no need to get nasty here with Marshawn. Give the man his release so he can go play for his hometown. We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.

A-Dog

Reaction score
ringless":1s7h1wbz said:
Sure, the Seahawks could manipulate their cap situation to fit Lynch in. But 9 million, is 9 million no matter how you cut it. Do the Seahawks do that just to prove a point and what exactly do they prove in doing that? What actually gets accomplished?
The point would be to force Oakland to give us a draft pick and/or have lynch return some of the signing bonus that he didn't earn. The draft pick is more important, but if getting the signing bonus back would somehow affect our cap (nobody seems to know the answer to this) that could be equally important. There's also the possible tampering issue that the Seahawks could raise a fuss about for additional leverage.

I'm pretty sure there's a poker match going on over this.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":60bgcgst said:
We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.

The Pats treat their players like shit and don't seem to be having any problems. At the end of the day it's a business. Everybody loves Marshawn but they also know when he's being ridiculous, just like Sherman has been ridiculous. The org has bent over backwards for Marshawn, I don't think anyone could say we did him dirty just because we didn't want to give an opposing team a freebie.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":2keg82hc said:
Sgt. Largent":2keg82hc said:
We look like the legit high road franchise that we want to be perceived as to attract top free agents down the road.

The Pats treat their players like shit and don't seem to be having any problems. At the end of the day it's a business. Everybody loves Marshawn but they also know when he's being ridiculous, just like Sherman has been ridiculous. The org has bent over backwards for Marshawn, I don't think anyone could say we did him dirty just because we didn't want to give an opposing team a freebie.

But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?

I could understand if Marshawn was in his prime and we wanted him back if he unretired. But we don't, so I don't get trying to wring out a pound of flesh MAYBE getting a late round pick just cause we can.

RCATES

Reaction score
Seahawks allowed Lynch to stay on the 53 at the start of the year knowing he was retiring and not going to play a single down for us in 2016. By doing that in good faith it cost them 5.5 million dollars and went against last years cap. No way if I'm Seattle's front office I'm going to let him suddenly change his mind and unretire without either A. Getting all that 5.5 back or B. Getting a good draft pick from Oakland in a trade. I feel he owes them the money either way if he decides to come back and play from Oakland. He restricted Seahawks cap last year with retiring. Stayed retired or give that money back. Also to answer a question earlier no that money returned would not have any effect on this years cap just PA's pocket book. Either way its the principle of the matter. Its Oakland or stay retired from everything we've heard so far. That gives Seattle all the control.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with the above post.

Fair is fair, the team didn't pay Lynch $5.5 mil. just to have him feel good. They deserve some compensation if he wishes to start playing again, but only in Oakland. either repayment of the $ pai that were not earned or some kind of draft pick compensation if the Raiders are serious.

Lynch is officially retired and will need to petition the league for reinstatement which shouldn't be a big problem. The team actually holds his rights for thiis season and for the next b/c of the contract he signed.

I don't think Lynch is intentionally trying to screw the SEahawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":hpsqlggd said:
That gives Seattle all the control.

No it doesn't.

Lynch could also play hardball and say OK if you're not going to release or cut me when I unretire, then I'm coming back to play for my 10M in 2017.

Which would totally screw our cap.

Again, no reason to make this contentious.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ih1khv1 said:
But why hold him hostage when he's no longer in our plans for this year, or any other year?
Why not just give draft picks away to all of Pete and John's buddies?

How about we trade BWags to Atlanta for a 6th rounder because Dan Quinn's a super cool dude, and why not?

There is the potential to get some form of compensation for Lynch. John owes it to the owner, the coaches, the players, and the fans to do his very best to make this franchise as competitive as possible. This happens to be an EXTREMELY deep draft, and one in which we are lacking picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, which means we could miss on some guys we really want. This is an opportunity to maybe fill that gap.

There are a lot of fans that LOVE Marshawn with a passion, I understand that. But again, this is a business.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":hidjmjvp said:
Sgt. Largent":hidjmjvp said:
Why not just give draft picks away to all of Pete and John's buddies?

How about we trade BWags to Atlanta for a 6th rounder because Dan Quinn's a super cool dude, and why not?

There is the potential to get some form of compensation for Lynch. John owes it to the owner, the coaches, the players, and the fans to do his very best to make this franchise as competitive as possible. This happens to be an EXTREMELY deep draft, and one in which we are lacking picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, which means we could miss on some guys we really want. This is an opportunity to maybe fill that gap.

There are a lot of fans that LOVE Marshawn with a passion, I understand that. But again, this is a business.

I think you're way overestimating what we can get for a 31 year old Lynch who didn't even play last year, and was hurt when he was here two years ago.

Like I said, if the Raiders want to throw in a 6th or 7th, or swap picks with us? Sure, but if you guys think we can hold Marshawn hostage for even a 4th or 5th rounder, that's not realistic IMO. Because if we play hardball, Lynch could REALLY mess up our cap if he wanted. That's why it's in our best interest to not make this contentious.

A-Dog

Reaction score
One more thing to add:

Oakland was 12-4 last year, had 7 pro bowlers, and are a young team on the rise. That's advantage Oakland in all three categories. It's not inconceivable that they could represent the AFC in the Superbowl with a 1-2 punch of Derek Carr and a revitalized Beast Mode. Imagine if the Seahawks somehow made it too.

I bet Oakland would throw the ball from the 1-yard line with the game on the line.

Bottom line - sweep the leg. Always compete Don't give your opponent any unnecessary advantage.

Hyak

Reaction score
Kudos to Marshawn as he really does hold the leverage here. Best case scenario is that the Seahawks get a late round pick for his rights but he's done as a Seahawk, which I am totally fine with.

He was not the same guy in 2015 and increasingly became the malcontent. His Mommy called for the OC to be fired. His agent bashed the QB on twitter. He himself waited until the team was boarding a plane after practicing all week to say he couldn't play as opposed to travelling with the team. At some point, the BS exceeded the value.

I'd rather ride with the backs we have for 2017.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25b3481x said:
I think you're way overestimating what we can get for a 31 year old Lynch who didn't even play last year, and was hurt when he was here two years ago.

Like I said, if the Raiders want to throw in a 6th or 7th, or swap picks with us? Sure, but if you guys think we can hold Marshawn hostage for even a 4th or 5th rounder, that's not realistic IMO. Because if we play hardball, Lynch could REALLY mess up our cap if he wanted. That's why it's in our best interest to not make this contentious.

Well that's just, like, your opinion man. We'll have to agree to disagree. Even still, I'd take a 6th or 7th rounder over jack diddly.

And Marshawn won't ruin our cap. He will never report to Seattle, much less play in a game. I believe the quote was "Oakland or bust." First of all, Marshawn doesn't BS. Second of all, you think he'd report here after saying that and lose all credibility with his boys back home. Not a chance.

A-Dog

Reaction score
JTB":39wpuv2u said:
He was not the same guy in 2015 and increasingly became the malcontent. His Mommy called for the OC to be fired. His agent bashed the QB on twitter. He himself waited until the team was boarding a plane after practicing all week to say he couldn't play as opposed to travelling with the team. At some point, the BS exceeded the value.

Along with flipping off the OC during a game (potentially tipping off the play to the opponent), forcing a contract extension against team policy leaving players like Bennett and Kam saying wtf, going off to rehab his "injury" with a boxing trainer rather than staying at the team's facilities while they're paying him $12M a year or whatever, possibly being involved in the "Russell isn't black enough" BS, generally being jealous of Russ' ascension and not being a team player, and for all intents and purposes quitting on the team for good after he didn't get the ball in the Superbowl loss.

I don't know if he's intentionally trying to screw the Hawks now, but I do know that he already did.

The team doesn't owe him a damn thing.

Latest posts