Is the championship window now closed?

cymatica

Reaction score
adeltaY":2up8px5g said:
ludakrishna":2up8px5g said:
Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are elite Tier 1 QBs. Russell is a Tier 3 QB. Russ has not shown that he can carry a team to the SB.

Then why do Brees and Rodgers only have 1 ring each? People seem to forget that after Rodgers won the SB in 2010 ,when the Packers had an excellent defense, people were doubting he could carry until he went berserk the following season and proved everyone wrong. Still, no SB since for him, due in large part to their defense sucking since that point. Brees also had a defense that caused lots of turnovers to help out during his SB run and it's been garbage since 2011 or so. Hence, they are the new 7-9 team.

Russ isn't yet in the same tier as those guys, but you can see that even they alone aren't enough to carry their teams to rings. Brady probably is, but even he has had pretty darn good defenses whenever he's won the big game. Also, all three have had much better OL than Russ pretty consistently. Russ is a franchise QB who is more than good enough to win the big game. He has bad games just like the guys you mentioned, but he's been pretty consistent. #2 passer rating all time is nothing to sneeze at.

Those teams had good defense, but the qb and offense still drove those teams, just like the patriots. It's not about just the defense, it's the team playing good in all phases, but the strength was the offense. 2013 Hawks had a damn good defense, but it looked better with a ball control offense and good special teams. So it boils down to balance.

If you are trying to argue Wilson is as good as Breese or Rodgers based on rings, then you could argue Bevell is a better coordinator than Shanahan.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Anything can happen in the playoffs. This team is too talented to not be a contender. Even at 10-6 come playoff time, if we are reasonably healthy we can make a run. The NFL is hard, and until we stop comparing our team to others..cough...cough.. NE, we will not enjoy the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

adeltaY

Reaction score
cymatica":3kkjmwnj said:
Those teams had good defense, but the qb and offense still drove those teams, just like the patriots. It's not about just the defense, it's the team playing good in all phases, but the strength was the offense. 2013 Hawks had a damn good defense, but it looked better with a ball control offense and good special teams. So it boils down to balance.

If you are trying to argue Wilson is as good as Breese or Rodgers based on rings, then you could argue Bevell is a better coordinator than Shanahan.

No man, I'm not saying that. I was just trying to provide perspective that shows that even these top tier QBs needed some help to drive them to their SB rings. I'm not saying it's just about the defense either. People seem to think that Brees, Rodgers, Brady carried their teams to their SB wins and I'm arguing against that. Brady definitely won them their last two SB in the actual game, but the defense was instrumental in getting them there. Same with Rodgers and Brees.

To luda's point, I disagree that those seasons were "solely" due to Rodgers and Brees. And guess what, the Packers didn't win the SB when they went 15-1 and had a bad defense, they won it when they went 10-6 and had a great defense. Balance is key, as cymatica said. No one is saying Wilson is better than those three guys, but he is damn good. To say he's like Alex Smith is ludicrous. Show me when Smith has thrown for 25 TDs and 2 INT in an 8 game stretch or anything close. Hell, that would be one of his best 16 game seasons if he could pull it off! And if you want to say he's being paid to be top 5, his cap hit is 11th among QBs this year.

Shoot, why do you even want to put all your eggs in the QB basket? Manning broke the passing TD record in 2013 and carried his team to the playoffs like you seem to want but got annihilated in the SB, as we all know. Rodgers has been carrying for years and the Packers have either lost in heartbreaking fashion or gotten demolished these past few years in the playoffs. Ryan had the highest passer rating in SB history and still lost. It doesn't all have to be about the QB. He doesn't have to be perfect; none of them are every game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nope, and until it is, not gonna' worry about it.
Just get to the dance and see what happens. Same record every year, team starts slow, people freak out.....teams starts winning, people jump back on.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
As we all know, the Hawks have consistently had OL problems for years. Any team that returns 3 or 4 starters on the OL from year to year only have to work in 1 or 2 new guys into their OL. The Hawks on the other hand, don't have but 1 assumed starter (Britt) and all of the other OL positions are always in transition, year after year. IMO-The Hawks historically need the first 3-4 games of the season to get their poop in a pile, kind of like an extra 4 game preseason. After the integration of new OL members, it takes a few games for them to even start to gel as a unit. This has been the case for years now and it is very early in the season right now, so I'm of the opinion that the Hawks will be fine as the season goes along. The slow start is normal for this team & as PC says: "it's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Window closed/open to me is just a hot take based on current results, not necessarily even close to final season results.
All the negative guys need to understand that in the SB winning season, they also (as usual) started off the season with a losing record & then came on strong to win the SB. I'm trying to stay calm as I hate losing right now but history tells us that the Hawks will get much, much better before the season is over. If they can avoid the impacts of injury to key players, there is no reason that the Hawks will not at the very least, make the playoffs & that's when wins are most important. So, I say we all need to chill out a little because as a fan base, we've been blessed (spoiled) for years.

Brady, Rogers, Brees and all other QB's have bad games too - but you only hear about the great games when they are talked about. Those QB's all have incompletions and bad passes too. It's exasperating to read: RW sailed a couple of passes over the head of his receivers so he's tier 3. If you watch NFL games regularly you'll notice that ALL QB's miss passes all the time to the extent of 65% completions being near the top of the league. That means for every 2 completions there is one incompletion. Additionally, the receivers have been known to run the wrong routes, at the wrong speed, with the wrong timing, and they also drop catchable balls occasionally, so incompletions are not always on just the QB, the receivers play a major role as well. RW, considering the O line he has to play behind, is more than capable of leading the Hawks back to the SB, so I'm chill.
:smilingalien:

StoneCold

Reaction score
Stock market will crash....some day. I am always right.

RCATES

Reaction score
Its been closed for a couple years now. We are simply the KC chiefs of the NFC now. We'll likely continue to win in a terrible division. Win our wild-card home game against up and coming teams like Detroit/Philly etc. Then get "shit on" on the road by a superior team. Aging past their prime Defense that gets gassed early in games and the worst O-Line in pro football is not going deep in the playoffs. Might as well accept it now. This year will be just like the previous two.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not accepting crap. That's your choice. Why bother watching the team if you already KNOW that they won't get past the first round??

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1cz4h8yn said:
I'm not accepting crap. That's your choice. Why bother watching the team if you already KNOW that they won't get past the first round??

Because a winning team is hard to come by in sports these days. I've been here for the many bad years and I'm happy that Seahawks have started a winning tradition. I love my Hawks and I'm a season ticket holder. None of that changes me being honest on what this team is capable of. PC lost this locker room 2 years ago and it shows. There is zero chance this team can win back to back road games in the playoffs against GB and Atlanta. Way too many flaws on Offense and not enough youth on Defense. I can still enjoy the hell out of the next few month's of this teams journey. But I've come to terms on how this season will end. The same as it has the past two years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, and hopefully you'll be wrong. Agree to disagree. I've also been a Season Ticket holder (since 93). Really has nothing to do with someone's level of fandom etc. We are no bigger fans than someone who can't make the games.
I just enjoy the ride and expect the Super Bowl, because that's the fun of it. High expectations. I can't see just assuming they have NO chance. Just my personal opinion. It's all good, people don't understand my optimism, and that's ok. I don't understand the Debbie Downer stuff, it goes both ways. I'm fully aware of the many issues this team has to overcome. But, they've done it many times before and are capable of doing it again.

Go Hawks

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3fieq7qz said:
As we all know, the Hawks have consistently had OL problems for years. Any team that returns 3 or 4 starters on the OL from year to year only have to work in 1 or 2 new guys into their OL. The Hawks on the other hand, don't have but 1 assumed starter (Britt) and all of the other OL positions are always in transition, year after year. IMO-The Hawks historically need the first 3-4 games of the season to get their poop in a pile, kind of like an extra 4 game preseason. After the integration of new OL members, it takes a few games for them to even start to gel as a unit. This has been the case for years now and it is very early in the season right now, so I'm of the opinion that the Hawks will be fine as the season goes along. The slow start is normal for this team & as PC says: "it's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Window closed/open to me is just a hot take based on current results, not necessarily even close to final season results.
All the negative guys need to understand that in the SB winning season, they also (as usual) started off the season with a losing record & then came on strong to win the SB. I'm trying to stay calm as I hate losing right now but history tells us that the Hawks will get much, much better before the season is over. If they can avoid the impacts of injury to key players, there is no reason that the Hawks will not at the very least, make the playoffs & that's when wins are most important. So, I say we all need to chill out a little because as a fan base, we've been blessed (spoiled) for years.

Brady, Rogers, Brees and all other QB's have bad games too - but you only hear about the great games when they are talked about. Those QB's all have incompletions and bad passes too. It's exasperating to read: RW sailed a couple of passes over the head of his receivers so he's tier 3. If you watch NFL games regularly you'll notice that ALL QB's miss passes all the time to the extent of 65% completions being near the top of the league. That means for every 2 completions there is one incompletion. Additionally, the receivers have been known to run the wrong routes, at the wrong speed, with the wrong timing, and they also drop catchable balls occasionally, so incompletions are not always on just the QB, the receivers play a major role as well. RW, considering the O line he has to play behind, is more than capable of leading the Hawks back to the SB, so I'm chill.
:smilingalien:

Thing is, the 2013 Seahawks did not start off with a losing record and or slow. Won the first 4 games and was 11-1 by game 12.

sdog1981

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":yiawse11 said:
Thing is, the 2013 Seahawks did not start off with a losing record and or slow. Won the first 4 games and was 11-1 by game 12.

That is why 2013 is such a high standard. All summer people were talking about the Seahawks not the super bowl winning Ravens. Then when the season started and people started to say show me the Hawks went 11-1 they won the road, they won at 10am they went down 21-0 and still won. The whole season was "I told you I was the best".

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think this team will be in the hunt for years. But will not be good enough to win or make it to a Super Bowl. They would need home field advantage to even make the Super Bowl. But they will only be a 9-10 win team going forward. Better than a 7-9 team. But a nice 6-10 season maybe would change this team and make them better for longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atradees

Reaction score
RW is amazing. If we had pro coordinators it would be wide open. Richard, Bevell, Cable need flushed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":qtpymcrb said:
SoulfishHawk":qtpymcrb said:

Because a winning team is hard to come by in sports these days. I've been here for the many bad years and I'm happy that Seahawks have started a winning tradition. I love my Hawks and I'm a season ticket holder. None of that changes me being honest on what this team is capable of. PC lost this locker room 2 years ago and it shows. There is zero chance this team can win back to back road games in the playoffs against GB and Atlanta. Way too many flaws on Offense and not enough youth on Defense. I can still enjoy the hell out of the next few month's of this teams journey. But I've come to terms on how this season will end. The same as it has the past two years.

It's not hard to bet that a team will lose the Super Bowl. 31 out of 32 fanbases would be correct on that.

But I hope you see how spoiled it's made this fan base.

There are 6 or 7 good teams that will make the playoffs and fall short. Doesn't mean they aren't good teams. It just means not everyone can win. The fact that this team doesn't feel like the Patriots week in and week out doesn't mean this isn't a good team, or that PC has lost the locker room. There is no empirical level of quality discernible this early in the season. It's just one game after another.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Most shocking development of 2017? Zero pass rush

Latest posts