Is the Richardson trade worth the price if only 1 season?

Is this a good trade if he only stays 1 season?

• YES

Votes: 144 94.7%
  • NO

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

mikeak

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2s6aq01a said:
MontanaHawk05":2s6aq01a said:
Bigpumpkin":2s6aq01a said:
From what I've observed in pictures from TC this week is that he is out of shape gasping for air.

Can you substantiate this or separate it from other players who also just got done with a practice and would likely be gasping too?

Sure....when I see a single player squatting down and the rest of the players around him standing up ( saw it on .com), then I have reason to believe that he is worn down. However, it appeared that when he played in Pre-season, he performed up to par. Hey....should he get a sack this Sunday.....I'll take it all back!

Every time I watch a game I reflect on how the QB must be out of shape :sarcasm_off:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1fdv8y9i said:
We have entered no no territory with this contract to "borrow" Dougs salary cap$$ to push down the road. Schnieder has always avoided that in contracts, and it allows us to make moves without making next year more difficult (in debt).

To sign him long term, someone will need to go, so not knowing who that is it is easier to answer YES right now.

My question to you is, did you not think we had a legit shot at a Super Bowl before the trade?
If the benchmark for this cost/benefit ratio is Malik McDowell for a first-round pick, then a 2nd/3rd swap for Richardson for 1 year is a steal.

Having an interior pass rush elevates our defensive line to elite level and addresses the one chink in our armour from last season.

But let's have some fun with the whole "shot at the Super Bowl" thing. To get to the Super Bowl, home field advantage isn't a necessity but it sure helps. In fact our home field advantage is actually pretty huge with our fans and our stadium and the opposing team having to travel far and outside their time zone.

We're going to win our home games, pretty much. Toughest test will be vs Atlanta. Our road games look winnable with the biggest contests at Green Bay and at Dallas, and possibly at the Giants. Apart from Dallas, in each case we face marquee quarterbacks. Getting to those QBs is going to make the difference in those games.

Any 1 of those games can make the difference between HFA and no HFA come playoffs time.

So it's not a question of whether or not we had a legit shot at a Super Bowl before the trade, but have we improved that shot. I say we have, because we match up better in those key conference games that will determine our post-season path.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":uwrap4t6 said:
Richardson is the kind of player (interior pass rusher) and age that we've seen Seattle pursue and retain. If Sheldon plays in such a fashion to warrant an 18M contract -- I'm not even convinced Seattle wouldn't be the one to pay it.

A major consideration to his resigning is his acceptance by the Hawk fans, the city and the media. Secondly, his inclusion/acceptance by the other players and coaches in the locker room. He will not want to leave "family"......unless were talking "big bucks"!

massari

Reaction score
Want Richardson to sign long term mostly because of Bennett and Avril's age, but hate signing guys $15M+per who aren't QB's....

Richardson for one season+3rd round comp > late 2nd round pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1a0r2q86 said:
He will not want to leave "family"......unless were talking "big bucks"!

He will if someone makes him a ridiculous Suh type offer.

The good news is Richardson knows what it's like to play on a loser, and how much that sucked. So I'd be shocked if he went to a perennial loser franchise for a little more money.

But we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves. We may not even want to make him an offer if he doesn't play well this season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g1575l0 said:
mikeak":2g1575l0 said:
We can always franchise for $16m or so....

Nope, UFA.

I think the franchise # for DL was 13.5M Don't expect that'll increase much from this past season.

Also, only UFAs are eligible for Franchise/Transition tags. The only reason one couldn't tag a player is if it's expressly forbidden in his contract. Playing on the 5th year option doesn't preclude a team from franchising that player in the 6th year.

EDIT: 2017 the franchise value was 13.3M. There is a distinction between Defensive tackles and Defensive ends. Guessing there is another reason we're playing him exclusively at 3T.

Interesting enough, if we were to place the non exclusive franchise tag on him, and he were to sign elsewhere -- we could either match it or receive 2 first round picks as compensation.

Going to go with Seattle is going to be home for Sheldon for at least two years.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
massari":107zcocu said:
Want Richardson to sign long term mostly because of Bennett and Avril's age, but hate signing guys $15M+per who aren't QB's....

Would you pay for this DL?

Er nfl coach explains why jj watt wont win the mvp

Or someone with this guys talent?

Walter Jones  N2D4074

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Richardson is a game changer but hope he doesn't turn into an Albert Haynesworth (when he joined the Redskins).

massari

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":19iwdld2 said:
massari":19iwdld2 said:

Would you pay for this DL?

Er nfl coach explains why jj watt wont win the mvp

Or someone with this guys talent?

Walter Jones  N2D4074

5kxTHpq

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13jq9gx3 said:
It's really just Kearse and swapping a 2nd for a 3rd (comp)

And in that, i'd say no, the price is not too high

I think actually, it's finally being able to dump kearse and it's the difference between a 2nd and a 3rd round pick if, as speculated he stays. So really it's just the difference.. and that's nothing compared tow hat he brings us.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":l7k2hyjv said:
Sgt. Largent":l7k2hyjv said:
mikeak":l7k2hyjv said:
We can always franchise for $16m or so....

Nope, UFA.

I think the franchise # for DL was 13.5M Don't expect that'll increase much from this past season.

Also, only UFAs are eligible for Franchise/Transition tags. The only reason one couldn't tag a player is if it's expressly forbidden in his contract. Playing on the 5th year option doesn't preclude a team from franchising that player in the 6th year.

EDIT: 2017 the franchise value was 13.3M. There is a distinction between Defensive tackles and Defensive ends. Guessing there is another reason we're playing him exclusively at 3T.

Interesting enough, if we were to place the non exclusive franchise tag on him, and he were to sign elsewhere -- we could either match it or receive 2 first round picks as compensation.

Going to go with Seattle is going to be home for Sheldon for at least two years.
$

Excellent points. Now it's got me wondering who they'd have to trade/let go to open cap space? Most likely Bennett(32), Avril(32) or Graham? :(

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score

Optimus25

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1fns6qnk said:
Let's get real my fellow Hawk fans! He hasn't even played his first game yet. This question ought to be addressed no sooner than the end of October.

It's fun to speculate in a fan forum via hindsight.

My answer to OP tho is a resounding yes. How in the hell is this not a major win for the organization to remain competitive in the nfc?. We all are on here incessantly by mid season bitchin about the lack of interior rush, and, uh, Sheldon Richardson. Not For Long is the name of the game and going all in year to year when you're in the window is the only way to stay on top.

Josea16

Reaction score
mikeak":35qtlzo3 said:
1) There was no other realistic deal out there. Season starts this week. It was this or go with what we had. We had issues pressuring the QB. Our defense requires pressure to make the secondary shine. This was as much about need as anything (need from the perspective of being a super bowl contender)

2) I heard it is a second or third with conditions. Anyone else hear that? If so could be tied to resigning him / or just playing time not sure

3) Cost is also spending $6 M which came from reworking Baldwins contract. Now starts the game with the salary cap which no matter how skilled you are mortgages the future

I am for the deal but there is always cost - think it was worth it
Yes. The deal is if he resigns with us we give the Jets our 2018 2nd round pick if he walks it will be our 2018 3rd round pick and switching 2018 7th round picks. The compensatory pick is a separate issue. So yes you make the trade everytime.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yes! He could be the difference between Home Field Advantage, and going home early.

As soon as we traded for him, my confidence in the Green Bay game went up. Even with people saying "Seahawks haven't won there since 1999!" "Seahawks got blown out last year in Green Bay."