It’s time for the Seahawks to end the Eddie Lacy experiment

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/11/28/1 ... tty-please

Article's got all of that Morgan-era smugness and the comparison to the Mike Williams signing is off-kilter for more than one reason, but the point is correct. Lacy was just such an unremarkable signing. Behind this OL - talented but inconsistent - we need a creator and a decisive player. McKissic is that. Davis is that. Lacy isn't.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think the glow to Lacy was his yards after contact in GB which was comparable to Marshawn but it was in a different running scheme. He struggles to create on his own and doesn't have the speed to run the outside zone reads required in this offense. His occasional decent runs are through giant holes and he doesn't make anyone miss at the next level.

Hoping they just roll with Davis and McKissic going forward.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I was very excited to see Lacy running the football here. I imagined some really good smashmouth football out of him. I've been quite disappointed. I don't know if we were just spoiled by watching guys like Lynch and to a lesser degree Rawls who really pound the rock, or if he's just not as physical as he should be, but either way, it's left me with a bitter taste.

I don't think Pete is going to jettison Lacy though, so for now I'll just have to hope there is some sort of improvement and maybe getting Davis back (and hopefully Carson soon) will give our running game the spark it so desperately needs

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I look eagerly forward to the death of Snark in internet writing. But the numbers don't lie. I work with a Packers fan who laughed when we picked up Lacy. I said the change of scenery might reinvigorate him, clear his head and get him back to rookie form (I'm an optimist in the off-season, I swear!). My co-worker just shook his head and said, "Keep telling yourself that. You'll see."

Well, he's right. We've seen.

Seymour

Reaction score
This pic being ankle tackled by a defending giving up 50 pounds to him says it all really.

Usa today 104404980

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It would be interesting to watch side-by-side some of his runs in his rookie season vs. now.

I have the sense that it would be night to day different in his quickness and power.

He just doesn't have it any more.

End the experiment is the right thing to do.

ivotuk

Reaction score
They need to block like the Ravens are, up the gut. He's too slow and heavy to do anything else.

But they keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole! Come on Pete! Stop rotating backs! Stop trying to make Eddie Lacy something he's not! He is NOT Marshawn Lynch fast, or Marshawn Lynch elusive! He's a bruiser! That's it!

Seymour

Reaction score
The fans are not going to stand for scrapping "the Lacy project" after stocking up on all that Hulk Mode gear you know. :sarcasm_off:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Lacy is a head case; sorry to say. Unfortunately, we can't get rid of him until we have a ready alternative at RB. Mike Davis might be that guy, but he is dealing with an injury too.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1xg1fiqg said:
I look eagerly forward to the death of Snark in internet writing. But the numbers don't lie. I work with a Packers fan who laughed when we picked up Lacy. I said the change of scenery might reinvigorate him, clear his head and get him back to rookie form (I'm an optimist in the off-season, I swear!). My co-worker just shook his head and said, "Keep telling yourself that. You'll see."

I, too, put a lot of stock in what fans of a free agent's previous team say about him. It's a bracing jolt that gets through our own inevitable bias. Nobody in Packers country was particularly sorry to see Lacy go, and that was telling.

rossob

Reaction score
Well, Lacy never averaged less than 4.1 yards per carry and even had 5.1 last year, so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect him to be good here.
I'm still not entirely sure why he is so bad here. I guess a lot of it has to do with him not being the right RB for the oline we currently have. I think we need a quick, decisive back because the line is just unable to block for a player like Lacy. But there's probably more to it. Maybe Petes idea to have a heavier lacy also wasn't a very good one.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Eddie Lacy isn't quick enough to play behind this line. He takes a few steps to get up to speed and if that initial area isn't blocked well enough, he just leans into the pile and falls over. Marshawn didn't have great top end speed but he could start, stop, jump cut, and be full speed again in an instant. That's the style of back that we need. That's why such esteemed runners as Troymaine Pope and Mike Davis look better behind this line than Eddie Lacy does right now.

#FreeMikeDavis

Optimus25

Reaction score
I can't think of a bigger waste of a roster spot in all my time following the Hawks. Justifiable after CC went down, but with the lack of performance thereafter, no excuse for not being jettisoned asap. Rawls, Mck, empty set. Any of the 3 would be wildly more successful than Lacy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I have no doubt that they will cut ties with him. But it will be after the season is over. He is one and done in Seattle!

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
rossob":302nvavj said:
Well, Lacy never averaged less than 4.1 yards per carry and even had 5.1 last year, so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect him to be good here.
I'm still not entirely sure why he is so bad here. I guess a lot of it has to do with him not being the right RB for the oline we currently have. I think we need a quick, decisive back because the line is just unable to block for a player like Lacy. But there's probably more to it. Maybe Petes idea to have a heavier lacy also wasn't a very good one.

Any RB playing for the Packers, who faces defenses every week that are kept up at night by the specter of Aaron Rodgers' passing game and constantly play in nickel and back on their heels to compensate, should find consistent success. The fact that Lacy was only able to find intermittent success in Green Bay tells you everything you need to know about him. He's just not a standout.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Optimus25":2l0hl80u said:
I can't think of a bigger waste of a roster spot in all my time following the Hawks. Justifiable after CC went down, but with the lack of performance thereafter, no excuse for not being jettisoned asap. Rawls, Mck, empty set. Any of the 3 would be wildly more successful than Lacy.

Well there was the time we kept a spare kicker on for a year. Cost wise Lacy isnt getting it done there is no burst to him and really haven't seen him exhibit power.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lacy is a total waste of a roster spot. His $3 + million/yr. apparently guaranteed deal has proven to be a millstone for the team this season. I doubt he gets canned but absolutely believe the team will move on from him as soon as they can. He won't be renewed here from anything he's done on the field to date or is likely to do.

He has shown none of the characteristics we had hoped to see from him when signed i.e.: being a tough physical inside runner. All he is and looks to be going forward is big, and slow, and unable to find or get to a crease that other RBs might exploit. He is completely unsuited at this stage to being a zone scheme runner b/c he shows little patience running, and when he runs he usually runs with a high pad level and he stops his feet upon contact leading to very little output, his plus size is then negated by a lack of physicality on his part as he runs soft. It's usually a waste of play giving him the ball. With no reservation I beleive the team would be better without him on it. Lacy looks to be disinterested in playing and form of physical football.

StoneCold

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2fgen8wo said:

I think he was unable to get his weight down to the point he could be a little quicker. He looks slow and big. I can see what they were hoping for, but it does not appear to be materializing.

I think I'm more surprised that Rawls hasn't gotten it together. He is that fast twitch hit the hole kind of runner, but his mind isn't right and he's not able to take what the D is giving him. As I've read in other places, always trying to score a TD on every play.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Does anyone here believe Christine Michael would have been decent in this offense? We all know, he wasn't THE ANSWER, but ... at least he could move the pile and give us some first down running. Once in a while, he would break one... and stumble "unforced" after some 10+ yards.
Lacy is just tough to watch. Tough to watch ...

Latest posts