Jim Harbaugh uses demeaning rhetoric against reporter

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I wish the Seattle press had somebody with Kawakami's balls.

NorCal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":322jzlq5 said:
I see too much excuse making for Harbaugh's bully tactics. Kind of like the excuses these same fans are making for hit and runs, brass knuckle threats, an NFL quarterback sleeping with drunk randoms on spring break, felony weapons possession charges, multiple DUIs, and fake bomb threats.

This is coming from someone who has been highly critical of the non-prescribed adderall uses by Irvin and others, as well as Sherman's poor sportsmanship in post-game.

When you put fanaticism over ethics, you risk losing your moral compass.

Comparing coach-reporter interactions with potentially criminal acts is a bit extreme, don't you think?

The problem with Kawakami and the Cohns is they try to make a news story out of nothing, and often become the story themselves. Thats a problem for reporters. There is a reason Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows are widely respected as 49ers reporters. They will ask the tough questions too, but they don't set it up to create a controversy.

Many of these reporter types are working for a dying industry, newspapers. I am sure they are pressured to come up with articles to sell papers. It must be difficult. But that is no excuse in my opinion. Its not about losing my "moral compass" but rather expecting some professionalism on the reporter as well.

On a side note, where did you get the "drunk randoms on spring break" part? Are you assuming that in the Kap situation in Miami?

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorCal":1ju9akfe said:
hawknation2014":1ju9akfe said:
I see too much excuse making for Harbaugh's bully tactics. Kind of like the excuses these same fans are making for hit and runs, brass knuckle threats, an NFL quarterback sleeping with drunk randoms on spring break, felony weapons possession charges, multiple DUIs, and fake bomb threats.

This is coming from someone who has been highly critical of the non-prescribed adderall uses by Irvin and others, as well as Sherman's poor sportsmanship in post-game.

Comparing coach-reporter interactions with potentially criminal acts is a bit extreme, don't you think?

The problem with Kawakami and the Cohns is they try to make a news story out of nothing, and often become the story themselves. Thats a problem for reporters. There is a reason Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows are widely respected as 49ers reporters. They will ask the tough questions too, but they don't set it up to create a controversy.

Many of these reporter types are working for a dying industry, newspapers. I am sure they are pressured to come up with articles to sell papers. It must be difficult. But that is no excuse in my opinion. Its not about losing my "moral compass" but rather expecting some professionalism on the reporter as well.

On a side note, where did you get the "drunk randoms on spring break" part? Are you assuming that in the Kap situation in Miami?

I was comparing all forms of bad conduct. And yes, bullying a reporter because you don't like his questions is bad conduct.

It was no less bad than the poor sportsmanship that Sherman displayed, and he took a lot of criticism (both justified and unjustified attacks) for his words. Harbaugh has faced basically zero public scrutiny for his bullying and hypocrisy. Instead, he has merely been defended by the fanatics, while the reporter is attacked.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3pll9zrd said:
Its all good. This is a Seahawk fan site and you guys are entitled to your fun...I just hope you don't actually believe this BS.

Just a nice bit of schadenfreude to help pass the time on a boring Wednesday afternoon. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":262qiyyp said:
NorCal":262qiyyp said:
hawknation2014":262qiyyp said:

I was comparing all forms of bad conduct. And yes, bullying a reporter because you don't like his questions is bad conduct.

It was no less bad than the poor sportsmanship that Sherman displayed, and he took a lot of criticism (both justified and unjustified attacks) for his words. Harbaugh has faced basically zero public scrutiny for his bullying and hypocrisy. Instead, he has merely been defended by the fanatics, while the reporter is attacked.

Wow....the crap is getting shoveled pretty high in here.

First off, any statement that says in was HARBAUGH who was bullying is wearing some serious blue and green colored glasses. Harbaugh was trying to step away from the conversation. He was trying to end it. Kawakami was the aggressor.

Second, since when has Harbaugh escaped public scrutiny? I see it all the time. I'm a Niner fan and even I know he's one of the more disliked (by fans) coaches in the NFL

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":9vqy99tc said:
Marvin49":9vqy99tc said:
Its all good. This is a Seahawk fan site and you guys are entitled to your fun...I just hope you don't actually believe this BS.

Just a nice bit of schadenfreude to help pass the time on a boring Wednesday afternoon. ;)

:D

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Did I miss something?

What demeaning rhetoric did harbaugh use?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Marvin49":28rolft9 said:
First off, any statement that says in was HARBAUGH who was bullying is wearing some serious blue and green colored glasses. Harbaugh was trying to step away from the conversation. He was trying to end it. Kawakami was the aggressor.

HAHAHAHA holly crap do you actually believe this, you can't you have to be trolling us. He asked follow up questions. He was never aggressive. The only person who got aggressive was good old I can't control myself jim.

Man you are funny.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Who remembers the presser where Jim was insulting to Californians, said they were crying hand holding sissies, then when asked about his Cali roots said nope, I'm from Ohio? I think it was the post season presser after they lost in the playoffs.

Not every coach can say he ends every season with a loss.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1tdztu1h said:
Marvin49":1tdztu1h said:

HAHAHAHA holly crap do you actually believe this, you can't you have to be trolling us. He asked follow up questions. He was never aggressive. The only person who got aggressive was good old I can't control myself jim.

Man you are funny.

Man, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wu01zw6 said:
Fudwamper":1wu01zw6 said:
Marvin49":1wu01zw6 said:

Man you are funny.

The reporter asks a single follow up question after Harbaugh's one-word answer, and Harbaugh's response is to belittle him and put him in his place on camera in front of a group of reporters:

"Tim, I know you probably worked really hard on asking that question, and probably stared in the mirror and thought about just the way you could ask that.”

That's the not the way a professional and decent person behaves. And if someone made that mistake, you would expect that they would apologize for their patronizing and aggressive tactics. There is an obvious power imbalance between NFL coaches, who make millions of dollars a year and are idolized and protected by the fans, and the beat writers, who make peanuts for covering them for the fans. Kawakami had the balls to ask the tough questions about Harbaugh's hypocrisy, and he should be commended for not backing down after being mocked and belittled.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin do you have a problem with him asking the first question from the video?

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1n5cn1vf said:
Marvin do you have a problem with him asking the first question from the video?

Yes and no.

From just about any other reporter? No. The problem is that Tim knew what he was doing. Harbaughs response had ALOT to do with who was asking the question. He even used his first name. Harbaugh knew exactly how that line of questioning was going to go.

Harbaugh is no angel. Saying he can be a tough interview is an understatement.

Tim Kawakami is a hack and a sensationalist. Most of you here keep only referring to him as "the reporter" because the only person you know in that exchange is Harbaugh. If you really knew anything about Kawakami, you'd understand where I'm coming from. This isn't the first time Tim has pushed buttons, gotten a reaction, and then walked away as if he was an innocent bystander. That's pretty much his MO.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2hwstmph said:
Marvin49":2hwstmph said:
Fudwamper":2hwstmph said:
Marvin49":2hwstmph said:

Man you are funny.

The reporter asks a single follow up question after Harbaugh's one-word answer, and Harbaugh's response is to belittle him and put him in his place on camera in front of a group of reporters:

"Tim, I know you probably worked really hard on asking that question, and probably stared in the mirror and thought about just the way you could ask that.”

That's the not the way a professional and decent person behaves. And if someone made that mistake, you would expect that they would apologize for their patronizing and aggressive tactics. There is an obvious power imbalance between NFL coaches, who make millions of dollars a year and are idolized and protected by the fans, and the beat writers, who make peanuts for covering them for the fans. Kawakami had the balls to ask the tough questions about Harbaugh's hypocrisy, and he should be commended for not backing down after being mocked and belittled.

Again...your error is the assumption that this conversation is taking place in a vacuum. You don't understand WHY Harbaugh is reacting. Kawakami isn't the hapless victim here.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":3bw7lvkr said:
hawknation2014":3bw7lvkr said:

Again...your error is the assumption that this conversation is taking place in a vacuum. You don't understand WHY Harbaugh is reacting. Kawakami isn't the hapless victim here.

And again, your mistake is putting your fanaticism over decency. You say Harbaugh is "no angel," but what does that actually mean to you? Are you willing to acknowledge that intimidating a reporter because you don't like the question is poor conduct and that he should apologize? Step out of your fanatic "vacuum" for a minute and think about that.